Defense Needs Work

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

Re: Defense Needs Work

the defense needs a lot of work.the secondary is still suspect.not much from the pass rush.the bright side was the defense managed to stop the run.maybe thats what the problem was,they were more fixed on stopping the run,that they failed everywhere else.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

In Response to Defense Needs Work:
    [QUOTE]     Not to put a damper on things, but the Pats' defense looked slow, and very mediocre. I realize that its' only preseason, but far too many yards were given up last night, especially on the ground.      As a recent article in the Cold, Hard Football Facts website pointed out, the Pats "D" held opposing teams to just 300 points or less in the regular season, during their championship years. Thats' an average of about 19 points per game, or less. Points allowed will be a stat that bears watching.        Heres' the pertinent part of the article mentioned above:      "The magic number is 300 points. The Patriots surrendered fewer than 300 points in 2001, 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2007 – they played in the AFC title game all five years and in the Super Bowl in four of those years. Only a miracle Colts comeback prevented the Patriots from a perfect five for five when their defense is solid."
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE] there could be some help here.

http://nwe.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=2&c=892731

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work : First let me say, to play devil's advocate, that our defensive backfield is the group with the most new parts and is a "question mark" if you prefer; that has been well documented.  Shawn Springs if healthy doesn't have to prove anything to you; he has done it over his entire career. That being said he was my dark horse pick to be cut after the preseason due to age and injury, even if that comes to pass we aren't in bad shape.  Wheately is a slot corner and a good one, players of every size have a use and covering small quick slot receivers is just as important as covering the big outside receivers; Bodden and Wheately cover those needs very well.  To point out that Terrence had a bad game against the Bengal's extraordinarily large receivers isn't necessary; if he was great at it I don't suppose Bill B would have had him out there working on it... that's why they call it preseason. Meriweather in his second season led the Patriots with four interceptions, tying the highest total by a Patriots safety since Lawyer Milloy had six interceptions in 1998, ranked third on the team with 79 tackles (57 solo), a total that led all Patriots defensive backs, finished second on the team with nine passes defensed, tied for third on the team with 11 special teams tackles and played in every game, starting the final 11 games of the season out of position at strong safety after opening-day starter Rodney Harrison was placed on injured reserve.  He broke perennial All Pro Bennie Blades career mark for tackles as well as the single season record for tackles at UM.  To say he isn't that good is either a misnomer or proves you haven't been paying attention. To pretend as though you have some inside knowledge on young players like Whilite or Darius Butler to prove your argument really shows that it has no teeth.  Butler and Chung have looked excellent through camp and preseason, if Butler isn't starting by game one than he will be soon enough.  Chung was only the highest rated safety in the draft, drafted by a former secondary coach who currently happens to be the best head coach and talent evaluator in the league; that's enough for me. With Adalius Thomas, Burgess, Seymour and Wilfork crushing the pocket and rushing the passer the corners won't have to hold up too long on their own back there.  We won Super Bowls with Troy Brown (a wide receiver) as well as Randall Gay and a slew of other undrafted free agents at corner, so in short thank you for your concern but it's unwarranted...  In "Bill We Trust" is our motto... unlike the Dolt's fan motto "In Bill (Polian) we trust to cry about the rules so we have a chance next season."
    Posted by wozzy[/QUOTE]
    It doesn't matter how high Chung was rated comming out of college. This is the Pros. Ratings mean squat. At this time Chung makes a pretty iffy third safety. He does have promise.
    Springs and Bodden are both good corners when healthy. Wilhite might be their next best corner if the season started today. Wheatley makes a ton of mistakes.
    They need to bring in a new corner.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from vtcat. Show vtcat's posts

Preseason is preseason but, the defensive backfield will forever be a step behind. I was encouraged that in some of the TV frames, we could actually see part of a defensive back just entering the 5 yard zone surrounding the Red skin receiver, when he caught a pass. This is an improvement. Other than the interception and 99 yd runback, I've seen this show too many times before. #47 for the Skins caught and ran for about 40 yds. with no one even in the same area code. Could it be the defensive scheme? No matter who The Pats draft at db, or who they acquire thru trades or free agency, they immediately morph into Ellis Hobbs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I'm back to sounding like a broken record.  Even if every new player on D is good, and even if all of the new rookies on D turn out quite well, how can anyone expect the D to look great with all of the changes?  Our corners are completely new and we lost Harrison and Vrabel (2 team leaders).  I'm not just reacting to the preseason games.  I said this before the preseason.

What we are seeing on D is exactly what we should expect to see at this point.  I don't expect to see what our D can do until about mid-season.  It will take them until then to build chemistry, and for all of the new guys to really grasp the D.  Not everyone can contribute from the start.  That's the exception, not the norm.  Our offense will need to carry the team early on.

There is of course a chance that the D will not be anything special this year, but there is little chance that even if it does end up special, it will be so now or in the first part of the season.  Too many changes occurred.  I hear the arguments about it being preseason, not all starters playing and such.  You'll see, it will be around midseason before things shape up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Defense Needs Work : They seem to have a lot of Bend but didn't break to the first team offense. Overall the pressure was better than last year. Figuring last year they didn't stop anyone during the pre-season on D, they played better. Could work on their rush defense a bunch. Wonder how much of that was trying the 4-3 the entire 1st half.
    Posted by Wizardsjag[/QUOTE]

????????????? Bend but didn't break? They gave up all sorts of yards and points to a lousy QB who was 1-for-7 last week. Receivers were running embarrassingly wide open, even on 3rd and long.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work : It doesn't matter how high Chung was rated comming out of college. This is the Pros. Ratings mean squat. At this time Chung makes a pretty iffy third safety. He does have promise. Springs and Bodden are both good corners when healthy. Wilhite might be their next best corner if the season started today. Wheatley makes a ton of mistakes. They need to bring in a new corner.
    Posted by viewer222[/QUOTE]

The DBs stink and they have not played together as a unit. A lethal combination. Butler, Wilhite and Wheatley all stunk. You can talk to me all you want about their future, but as for now, they stink. And Bodden shows why he was an integral part of an 0-16 team last year. The Redskins pass offense is horrible. Even with minimal protection and mediocre reeceivers, they tore up our defensive backfield. We will need to outscore opponents this year; we will not shut them down.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]Why do people always want to knock the Pats' D?  Merriweather is a beast back there.  BB loves James Sanders. I've never seen him performed exceptionally but if Bill likes him then he defininatly has talent.  Bodden and Wilhite are the best coners we've had since Law and Gay.  Guyton and Mayo are speed demons, not to mention that they have great chemistry being best friends and all.  Aday-day is a one man wrecking machine, regardless of who they put on the otherside  he will draw double coverage which will open up a hole for them. The DL has always been good and this year they have two players who are looking for a new contracts so they will perform well.  The Pats' D will be fine. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

Answer to your question in line one: "Because the defense stinks."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

[QUOTE]I dont think anyone can say we lost the SB because of our D.  Not when the highest scoring team in history puts up 14 pts in the SB. Even Brady laughed at Burress' comment that we would score 17.     
    Posted by joe81b[/QUOTE]

Nice legs, Joe.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

The defense looked good to me, other than the long pass to Cooley (a tight end) and a couple of great plays by pro bowler Santana Moss.  I especially thought they looked good after the first couple of series when we changed from the 4/3 to the 3/4.

Again when we aren't rushing the passer and are instead working on coverage, open field tackling and fundamentals, in other words ALL THE THINGS YOU DO IN PRESEASON, of course the product doesnt look complete; it's not.

Am I the only one who noticed how dominant our D looked in the the first preseason game when we brought the house in the blitz?  The Eagles got punished.  All you will see is vanilla defense and off tackle on offense from here on out. 

You do realize the coaches literally call each other during the week and discuss what they would like to work on?  Butler looked good, Bodden looked good, Whilite looked good etc... there were some mistakes, but than it is preseason... 

Please naysayers, I understand it's still a work in progress and there is room for improvement, but for the most part let's try to remove head from a ss.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The New England Patriots accomplished what is indeed a rare feat last night. They made Redskins' QB Jason Campbell look good. No pass rush, plus poor play in the secondary, equals no Lombardi in Foxboro.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I thought the d looked like it was starting to come together. You have to be happy with the improved pass rush. The pass d looked okay to me. They absolutely need to tighten against the run but I am not at all worried about that. Stopping the run is BB's priotity and he always fields a good d against the run. I think they can tighten the run d without much problem. I would be a lot more concerned if the pass d got owned. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Parish-sez. Show Parish-sez's posts

I think part of the problem right now is we have so many almost equal players that we're getting looks at that we have no cohesiveness. Chung I think looks great,Wilhite looks good, Butler looks good, a bunch of the dl rookies look good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Defense had a few hiccups which is to be expected.

Take a look at the first 7 weeks of the year. No Manning No Brees. Really no great Qbs except 2nd year Matt Ryan. The defense is new and young. After the first series they adjusted to game speed and made great stops(except for miscommunication of the safeties when Cooley exploited the zone).

Anybody see 36 year old Bruschi chasing down Cooley he got cut off but he can still run for an old vet!

Defense looks fine!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

The defense is going to be awsome this year

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]     The New England Patriots accomplished what is indeed a rare feat last night. They made Redskins' QB Jason Campbell look good. No pass rush, plus poor play in the secondary, equals no Lombardi in Foxboro.  
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE] I agree that there was no reason,jason campbell,santana moss,and randle-el,should be listed in the same category as brady,and randy moss.no reason the redskins starters should have been matching us yard for yard,and point for point.hopefully in a couple of weeks,it will get sorted out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WellWellLookWhoItIs. Show WellWellLookWhoItIs's posts

Never mind the defense that Oline is week at best.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

so which loser team are you going for? the no QB jets,or the no receiver giants.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Anyone who say the Pats' defense is bad is probably a 2007 wagonjumper. It's clear that most of the night Bill had the defense in zone. The Pats got beat by a guy that threw 6 INTs last year, but people expect the secondary to swat balls left and right. Campbell makes good desicions, he was considered a MVP candidate last season. They had pressure on him all game and if the Redskins Pro-bowl WR Santana Moss had sat out that game we would be talking about something else. The secondary looked good enough to survive until week 11. Wilhite showed the talent I always knew he had, Bodden made smart plays, and Butler tried for a rookie. If you take away the 73 yard pass to Cooley, Jason Campbell's stats look more like this, 12-22 136 yards.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Do those numbers look like something you put up on a bad secondary? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

-_- Actually Moss, I wasn't talking about you. I was talking to the people who said our defense is horrible and look at all the bad instead of the good. They panic too soon. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]-_- Actually Moss, I wasn't talking about you. I was talking to the people who said our defense is horrible and look at all the bad instead of the good. They panic too soon. 

Its' not "panic". Its' legitimate concern...based on what we've seen from the defense. There are no intimidators, pass-rushers, or play makers on the Patriots' "D". For the past two two years, BB has been cutting and pasting on his secondary. 

How can you be optimistic when you see a QB like Jason Campbell lighting up the Pats' secondary?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work :      Its' not "panic". Its' legitimate concern...based on what we've seen from the defense. There are no intimidators, pass-rushers, or play makers on the Patriots' "D". For the past two two years, BB has been cutting and pasting on his secondary.       How can you be optimistic when you see a QB like Jason Campbell lighting up the Pats' secondary?
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

The secondary didn't look that bad to me. They weren't fantastic but they are a work in progress. The Pats secondary wont be truly tested until we face the Colts. If by week 5 the secondary is consistently getting burned I will be the first to panic, but until then I'm mellow the the sun is yellow. 

Maybe Belichick can call up Ty Law. It doesn't look like Springs will play much this season, why not bring in a Vet that plays like the two current starters? 

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work : The secondary didn't look that bad to me. They weren't fantastic but they are a work in progress. The Pats secondary wont be truly tested until we face the Colts. If by week 5 the secondary is consistently getting burned I will be the first to panic, but until then I'm mellow the the sun is yellow.  Maybe Belichick can call up Ty Law. It doesn't look like Springs will play much this season, why not bring in a Vet that plays like the two current starters? 

Sorry, my friend...but the secondary was horrible last night. No cohension back there...no leadership...no playmakers...no intimidators. Yes, its' a work in progress. But, the start of the season is right around the corner. Nothing I saw last night leads me to believe that this group will be appreciably better than last years' toast squad.