Defense Needs Work

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Defense Needs Work

Not to put a damper on things, but the Pats' defense looked slow, and very mediocre. I realize that its' only preseason, but far too many yards were given up last night, especially on the ground.

As a recent article in the Cold, Hard Football Facts website pointed out, the Pats "D" held opposing teams to just 300 points or less in the regular season, during their championship years. Thats' an average of about 19 points per game, or less. Points allowed will be a stat that bears watching.  

Heres' the pertinent part of the article mentioned above:

"The magic number is 300 points. The Patriots surrendered fewer than 300 points in 2001, 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2007 – they played in the AFC title game all five years and in the Super Bowl in four of those years. Only a miracle Colts comeback prevented the Patriots from a perfect five for five when their defense is solid."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Re: Defense Needs Work

In Response to Defense Needs Work:
    [QUOTE]     Not to put a damper on things, but the Pats' defense looked slow, and very mediocre. I realize that its' only preseason, but far too many yards were given up last night, especially on the ground.      As a recent article in the Cold, Hard Football Facts website pointed out, the Pats "D" held opposing teams to just 300 points or less in the regular season, during their championship years. Thats' an average of about 19 points per game, or less. Points allowed will be a stat that bears watching.        Heres' the pertinent part of the article mentioned above:      "The magic number is 300 points. The Patriots surrendered fewer than 300 points in 2001, 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2007 – they played in the AFC title game all five years and in the Super Bowl in four of those years. Only a miracle Colts comeback prevented the Patriots from a perfect five for five when their defense is solid."
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

They seem to have a lot of Bend but didn't break to the first team offense. Overall the pressure was better than last year. Figuring last year they didn't stop anyone during the pre-season on D, they played better. Could work on their rush defense a bunch. Wonder how much of that was trying the 4-3 the entire 1st half.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikec645. Show mikec645's posts

Gotta remember this wasn't like a master game plan for Belichick. He's trying to evaluate all the players to who to keep and who to let go/practice squad.  It will be a lot different come the regular season, remember how bad Matt Cassell looked in preseason last year?  These games aren't going to be typical game plans by Belichick it's all about evaluation

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

The Pats were missing Ty Warren, top backup Mike Wright, and Tedy Bruschi.   Started 6th round rookie Pryor on the D line also.  Can't help but think with these guys playing our run D could have been better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

In Response to Defense Needs Work:
    [QUOTE]     Not to put a damper on things, but the Pats' defense looked slow, and very mediocre. I realize that its' only preseason, but far too many yards were given up last night, especially on the ground.      As a recent article in the Cold, Hard Football Facts website pointed out, the Pats "D" held opposing teams to just 300 points or less in the regular season, during their championship years. Thats' an average of about 19 points per game, or less. Points allowed will be a stat that bears watching.        Heres' the pertinent part of the article mentioned above:      "The magic number is 300 points. The Patriots surrendered fewer than 300 points in 2001, 2003, 2004, 2006 and 2007 – they played in the AFC title game all five years and in the Super Bowl in four of those years. Only a miracle Colts comeback prevented the Patriots from a perfect five for five when their defense is solid."
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

The run defense was terrible but I thought the pass defense was OK. They're still not getting any pressure on the QB at all. They get lucky rushing everybody but that's too risky. Its incredibly dissapointing to see the Monty Beisel-ish effort on run plays.  Its just the pre-season so its hard to tell but the 4-3 looked bad.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

Keep in mind one thing - it was the first game of the  preseason!!! Go back and look at the 2004 preseason game against the Bengals. Or really any preseason game ever. The defense always stinks. They don't scheme, they go vanilla flag football defense. 

Take it easy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

They had four 300lb lineman playing. I think that was a big part of the lethargy.

On the plus side, I think putting Mayo behind a four man line makes him better.

Sanders looked terrible. He is such a horrible tackler, and so slow to react.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruschiFan4Life. Show BruschiFan4Life's posts

In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work:
    [QUOTE]They had four 300lb lineman playing. I think that was a big part of the lethargy. On the plus side, I think putting Mayo behind a four man line makes him better. Sanders looked terrible. He is such a horrible tackler, and so slow to react.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I am so excited to see Mayo play this year.  I think he will make a big impact!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

I didnt think Sanders looked bad, thought he made a few nice tackles, but I would like to watch again.  I'm thinking someone just wants to see Chung in his place!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Worst post ever.  You start off complaining that we gave up too many yards, then start talking about how we can't give up too many points.  YARDS ARE NOT POINTS.  Where have you been all decade?  Going back to at least 2003, the Pats have done bend-but-don't-break every season.  Who cares how many yards we give up?  We held the Eagles starters to 6 points, fielding a D-line with only one legitimate pass-rusher (Seymour).  Quit complaining. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

A trend is a trend is a trend.  It's not were it needs to be.  I was and still am concerned.  TBC and Woods don't turn me on.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

We are still having problem with the dink and dunk and closing the slot. This has been a recurring problem for a few years now, but at least our DB's are much better. Our C3 (cover 3) has vertical/horizontal seams behind the LB's and in front of the safeties that suffer from lagged coverage (. I think we use trips to stress the SS, lift off the CB and high low the SS and that should help.

However, from the game last night, I see our red zone defense was excellent in the first half (starters).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

themightypatriots,  

You stole my thunder. I was going to say the exact same thing. They held the Eagles starting offense to 6 points at the half. Forget what happened after that point, because all of the starting defensive players were sitting on the bench.
    I thought the defensive looked improved in pass rush and the secondary. There were certainly mistakes, but with no game plan and a preseason game you held the NFC's best team to under 7 points.

Yards mean nothing, points are everything. Who cares if they have 2,000 yards of offense, as long as they keep the points to a limit.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plluto29. Show Plluto29's posts

I agree with TexasPat3.  The run defense was atrocious.  You can tell the teams that have great defenses i.e. Steelers, Ravens were all over the opposing offenses in their first pre-season game.  You can't rely soley on Belichick outscheming opposing coaching staffs. The Pats have had, and continue to have a need for playmakers on defense. Mayo and Wilfork are the real deal but we need more than two guys on defense to take us where we need to go. I don't believe in Seymour and the other linebackers aren't getting it done. 

On the brighter side, the Pats passing game looks in mid-season form.  Brady and Moss don't seem to have lost anything in chemistry.  I love J. Edelman.  Between he and Welker we should be able to easily move the chains through the air. 

On the downside, Galloway did not impress at all. 

Maroney needs to go.  How many times does he run into the line and fall down?  When Morris and Falk are in there they gain positive yards. 

Overall, the Pats offense is fine and should tear up the league again.  The defense has not, in my opinion, improved from the last couple of years and will have to be bailed out by the offense.

I

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

They didnt have their starters on the field the entire game and they werent running their normal 3-4 defense so i would cut them some slack.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

Yah,yah,yah.......and I've been reading on the Sox board since April that David Ortiz is just in a slump.

Here's the Scoop:

Sometimes if it looks broken, it actually is.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

I think we should also remember, the Eagles are considered the best team in the NFC and may be the 2nd best offense in the nfl as well. It's not like they played the Lions.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from father36. Show father36's posts

i though sanders looked fine, his tackling is solid, maybe your madden is broken.In Response to Re: Defense Needs Work:
    [QUOTE]They had four 300lb lineman playing. I think that was a big part of the lethargy. On the plus side, I think putting Mayo behind a four man line makes him better. Sanders looked terrible. He is such a horrible tackler, and so slow to react.
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpn123321. Show rpn123321's posts

I'm not at all worried about the defensive line play on this team. I realize last night was really just a matter of trying things, putting players in these positions and seeing how they produce. Like lining up big vinny at Left End was a sight to see. I know they played a 4-3 practically the entire game just to see the plethora of Defensive Lineman show what they can give. It was a real live tryout the entire game for all of them. On defense I thought Mayo, Chung, Butler, and Merriweather played very well. Mayo was in on a lot of plays, and whenever the ball was in the air, the two rooks Chung and Butler seemed to be ball hawks and right on the guy not allowing any yards after the catch, Butler was in a few good breakups at the beginning of the game, and Chung broke up a few passes after the ball had already been caught. I was also impressed with Chungs open field tackling ability. He seems to run right into the guy face to face. merriweather also had some open field tackles. I think we will see more of the same from the defensive line in the next game, running the 4-3 all game to try out the D-Line once again. I think preseason games 3 and 4 tho will convert back to the 3-4 and start working on the linebacker rotation, and set the Defensive Line.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

Mayo making tackles 5-7 yards down the field and he still can't cover anyone over the middle.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Worst post ever.  You start off complaining that we gave up too many yards, then start talking about how we can't give up too many points.  YARDS ARE NOT POINTS.  Where have you been all decade?  Going back to at least 2003, the Pats have done bend-but-don't-break every season.  Who cares how many yards we give up?  We held the Eagles starters to 6 points, fielding a D-line with only one legitimate pass-rusher (Seymour).  Quit complaining. 
    Posted by themightypatriots[/QUOTE]

Tell you where I've been this entire decade...solidly behind this team. But, unlike you, I don't wear rose colored glasses. Since 2004, have the Patriots won another title? Worse yet, during the past few years (2007 excluded), they have had problems beating the top teams. I am sick and tired of watching the defense wilt in the final minutes of big games.

Brilliant deduction that "yards are not points", Sherlock. But, even you should be able to deduce that giving up vast amount of yards leads to giving up points.

Hey...no complaints if I were a Raiders, Lions, or even a Titan fan. But, for the Patriots, its' SB or bust...and, unless the "D" improves, it will be BUST.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE] The run defense was atrocious.  You can tell the teams that have great defenses i.e. Steelers, Ravens were all over the opposing offenses in their first pre-season game.  You can't rely soley on Belichick outscheming opposing coaching staffs. The Pats have had, and continue to have a need for playmakers on defense.

RESPONSE: Amen, brother. The Pats' defense doesn't force turnovers, doesn't apply pressure to the opposing QB, and intimidates no one. A head-hunting LB or SS is badly needed. Hopefully, Patrick Chung will fill this void. 

Mayo and Wilfork are the real deal but we need more than two guys on defense to take us where we need to go. I don't believe in Seymour and the other linebackers aren't getting it done. 

RESPONSE: LBs in general did not get it done last year. I'm a bit less critical of Richard Seymour, who at times gets double-teamed. Though not the beast he once was, and not a "Bruce Smith" type pass-rusher...hes' still a solid player. 

On the brighter side, the Pats passing game looks in mid-season form.  Brady and Moss don't seem to have lost anything in chemistry.

RESPONSE: Amen. Brady looked good to go.

I love J. Edelman.  Between he and Welker we should be able to easily move the chains through the air. 

RESPONSE: Is Edelman a Wes Welker clone? Lets' hope so.

On the downside, Galloway did not impress at all. 

RESPONSE: Agreed. He looked every bit his 37 years of age.

Maroney needs to go.  How many times does he run into the line and fall down? 

RESPONSE: Didn't see many holes opened for Maroney last night. Keep in mind that hes' only 24 years old. Talent is not the problem with him. Staying healthy has been his problem. If he can avoid injury, he'll rush for at 1000 - 1200 yards, in fairly limited carries. The Pats need to utilize him more as a receiver on swing passes and screens. Hes' very dangerous in open space.

When Morris and Faulk are in there they gain positive yards.  Overall, the Pats offense is fine and should tear up the league again.

RESPONSE: Agreed.

The defense has not, in my opinion, improved from the last couple of years and will have to be bailed out by the offense.

RESPONSE: Too early to tell whether the defense will be improved. The secondary is now young, and athletic. The addition of Ron Brace will enable BB to rest Vince Wilfolk more often. But, lack of an intimidator and a pass rush still appear to be problems. Hopefully, Patrick Chung will become the Pats "intimidator", and Derrick Burgess will upgrade the pass-rush. 

Posted by Plluto29[/QUOTE]

The defense definately bears watching.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

I'm still wondering how Eric Alexander is still on this team.

He can't cover. He can't tackle. Other than that, he's a good LB.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Overall: 2009 D-Fence will be much improved.

Chung: looks like a player. I like his Rodney-like enthusiasm.

Butler: still needs work, but you can tell he has skills and speed. Nice pick.

Whilhite: very solid player. Looks like an NFL caliber starter.

Brace/Pryor: solid start.

ILB's: other than Mayo, we kinda $uck.

OLB: we need Burgess and Crable to pressure QB.

DL: best we've ever had. No question, as long as Seymour and Warren are healthy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

On one hand, trying to evaluate a BB defense from a preseason game is not a good idea. There is no real in-depth planning or strategy. Especially in the first game, they're just trying to gauge how guys react to certain situations. The Patriots have usually looked "vanilla" on defense in the preseason. That being said, I do agree with TP about the lack of aggression on D since the 05 season. The LB crew is definitely not what it used to be. Tedy (though I love the guy) has slowed down too much to still be effective as a starter. Willie Mac always seemed to make the key play in a crunch situation. No one has stepped up so far to fill the void he left. Other than the awful performance by Brady and the offense in the Denver playoff game, it has been the defense which has let the team down these last few years. Hopefully Burgess can help out the pass rush. But I'm not going to panic just because they didn't dominate in their first (or really any) preseason game. If they start out the season letting mediocre QBs make huge passing plays and still being lousy in the red zone, then I'll start to worry.