Defense whiners giving Brady a free pass?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 617AcrossDaBoard. Show 617AcrossDaBoard's posts

Re: Defense whiners giving Brady a free pass?

I agree with you 100% Rusty.  When I say he has to be perfect im exaggerating, but I don't feel its his fault.  We have the personnel to be a balanced O and aggressive D.  But for whatever reason we have morphed into the old Colts. Its entertaining but it stinks to watch our team get bullied when we were known as the bullies of the league for so long.  Baltimore and Pittsburg has always fielded great defenses but teams used to fear the Patriots the same way.  We used to samck teams in the mouth and Brady would carve defenses with precision and play action.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

The Bills game underscores this whole flaw.  You're up by 21 on the road and it's the same offense where a short pass is as good as a run.  Except a drop or incompletion stops the clock.  The Patriots offense is so good at times that it's hard to criticize the play calling, but then Brady throws 4 ints and the Bills win a game that shouldn't have been that close.  Brady will not screw up like that again this season (I hope).      

The Pats are a victim of their own success at times.  They rip apart the opposing defense and their own defense is right back on the field and getting gassed toward the end of the game.  More often than not, in close games or in blowouts, they have been been the loser in the time of possession battle.  Some games have been tighter than necessary because they haven't always killed the clock.  "Insert mental image of Tedy Bruschi screaming clock-killin' Cory Dillon."

I am no offensive genius, but I know what my eyes tell me, and that is the Pats need to mix it up on offense sometimes, especially when they have the lead.  Maybe when the cold weather gets here they'll emphasize the run more.  

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Defense whiners giving Brady a free pass?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defense whiners giving Brady a free pass? : All that said, this flaw is seen in every season, starting back in 2007, when Brady got Moss and Welker. In Sunday's game, Gronk turned into Moss. Think about it.  The issues is, Gronk and Welker are so incredible, as is Brady, that they get locked into what they are doing, while the other team's D coordinator is currently catching up to what they show, over and over and over again. By the end of the first half, you could see Buffalo gaining confidence and Brady therw that pick, because of the coverage on Woodhead.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

I think Rusty hit the nail on the head here.  Living in Toronto, I get the Buffalo radio stations and have been listening to the Bills players talking about the game.  The guy who made the interception while covering Gronk (I forget his name) says that after watching Brady during the first half they were figuring out where he was going to throw and were able to disrupt more passes just because they were reading Brady better.  The player claimed that he deked Brady on the interception by positioning himself on one of Gronk's shoulders and crossing to the other shoulder as soon as he saw Brady's eyes get wide and the ball coming out.  This seems to be exactly what Rusty is saying . . . 

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Most of the four turnovers weren't short field turnovers, essentially they were the equivalent of long punts to the other team. When you score 31 points on the road, you should win. Simple as that. 

I have a lot of problems with your viewpoint, especially the reduction of blame to one party. Brady gets a lot of the blame for the loss, but the D played badly also. Or did you not see Buffalo marching up and down the field. 

I'm less concerned about fingering Brady because he'll be back on track soon enough - though I agree with the King that more running balance is going to matter, especially when the weather turns. 

What you fail to understand in your post is some of us when we harp on the D are concerned with the big picture. Our D is dead last in several categories, including total yards allowed. 

Of greater concern, we are 26th in points allowed - which is 7 points worse than last year. Bend but don't break is turning into bend and break frequently. 

We don't need the best D in the league to win but right now our Super Bowl aspirations are limited not by the offense (which needs some fine tuning) but by the defense (which needs major work). 

Hope that explains things for you in a balanced and non-reductionist way.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

How about some stats.

The Bills were only 36% on 3rd down conversions--not too bad

They had the ball 11 times and had to punt 5 times. With 2 INTs that means they scored points on 5 posessions. Two were field goals after being stopped by the D.
    Not great but not too bad again.

Bottom line is the D held two of the top 5 offensive teams under 30 in this the new offense NFL. It was enough to win against San Diego and should have been enough to beat the Bills. The defense is definately lacking but you cannot honestly blame them for this loss.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

Are you bragging that our opposing QB rating is ONLY 11th worst?  This is good?It's actually 10th worst    Another way to word that is 22nd best.  You're cool with that? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Poor idiotic Rusty. GB and the Saints had the number 1 QB ratings against on D the years and they they won the SB. Coincidence? Your so moronic that you can't comprehend the Pats are not good at stopping opposing QB's so they didn't win last year. Thus Sanchez 120+ QB rating against them in the playoffs. Their current QB rating against is 94.6 ranked 22nd in the league and they are dead last in yards per game against the pass. Zero teams have ever won with a QB rating against higher than 84 and 80+ has been done 3 times. Do the math genius. They need to vasty improve their pass defense. I guess you want to rely on breaking the turnover ratio record every year because that is a sure bet on defense.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

[QUOTE]Are you bragging that our opposing QB rating is ONLY 11th worst?  This is good?It's actually 10th worst    Another way to word that is 22nd best.  You're cool with that? 
    Posted by HaverhillBob[/QUOTE]

Last time I checked QB ratings don't get you the Lombardi trophy. Fantasy football stats are becoming a joke.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE] How about some stats. The Bills were only 36% on 3rd down conversions--not too bad They had the ball 11 times and had to punt 5 times. With 2 INTs that means they scored points on 5 posessions. Two were field goals after being stopped by the D. Not great but not too bad again. Bottom line is the D held two of the top 5 offensive teams under 30 in this the new offense NFL. It was enough to win against San Diego and should have been enough to beat the Bills. The defense is definately lacking but you cannot honestly blame them for this loss.
    Posted by Evil2012[/QUOTE]

That is a great breakdown Evil. Even though your evil.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defense whiners giving Brady a free pass? : One of Sanchez's TDs came off the fake punt mishap with Chung which gave them an incredibly short field. And that's AFTER our own offense scored 3 measly points with this beloved pass happy offense of yours. I don't really care what Mark Sanchez's QB rating was in that game. We handed their team opportunity after opportunity. I also don't expect a defense in 2010 to be completely responsible for that when they are starting 3 rookies and aren't very experienced. We watch the games. You chould check it out some time. Fact of the matter is, NO's D was ranked 24th in the NFL in 2009, but turnovers bailed them out many times even in the SB. Keep looking only at passing yard stats and igoring side contexts like our own QB tossing 4 INTs to drive those opponent QB ratings. Or, 3 and outs of out halftimes, 3 times in a row with our D on the field REPEATEDLY. You're the moron.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

LOL now you use yards per game to prove a point for the Saints D. Funny stuff. I thought that didn't matter? They had a QB rating against under 70 that year. That's the key stats. Earth to Rusty. There is a direct correlation between QB rating and winning games. 80% last year for the QB with a better rating. Both teams with the lowest QB rating against were in the SB last year. Brady skews the stats for the Pats because he's the best in the game masking their big defense weakness which is obvious to everyone except for you.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

All I will say is, Brady has carried this team for the past 5 years. When he has a bad game I am not gonna pile on.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaverhillBob. Show HaverhillBob's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Defense whiners giving Brady a free pass? : Last time I checked QB ratings don't get you the Lombardi trophy. Fantasy football stats are becoming a joke.
    Posted by Evil2012[/QUOTE]

Just so happens that teams that are near the top in that category usually do very well. Nothing is guaranteed, but it's hard for your opponent to win when their QB has a rating below 70.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]Are you bragging that our opposing QB rating is ONLY 11th worst?  This is good?It's actually 10th worst    Another way to word that is 22nd best.  You're cool with that? 
    Posted by HaverhillBob[/QUOTE]
    Psst.  You fail at math.  22nd out of 32 teams is, indeed, 11th worst.