Defensive Weaknesses in Indy?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Defensive Weaknesses in Indy?

Like any other team, the Colts have their fair shares of problems, too. But, Indy's problems are far less pressing than most teams. Here's an article on their concerns: http://www.examiner.com/x-4450-Indianapolis-Colts-Examiner~y2010m6d22-Indianapolis-Colts-2010-offseason-Five-concerns-about-the-Colts-defensively-entering-the-summer

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

Re: Defensive Weaknesses in Indy?

I'd say the Super Bowl slump is one of the biggest threats that Indy faces.

I'd also say that their offensive line poses bigger problems for them, especially because I don't recall them using a high-round draft pick to improve it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

As a Colt fan, I can say that most of our defensive concern is centered on cornerback depth this year.  It was a major concern going into the draft and the Colts used a 3rd rounder on the position.  Then, he got hurt the first or second practice of the OTAs and should be out for the year.  It seems to be a position that the team has injuries at every single year, and Polian always seems to have some college FAs or 1st year players that are ready to contribute on an emergency basis (Keiwan Ratliff, Jacob Lacy, Steve Muhammed, etc.).  The top three corners are top-notch this year: Hayden, Powers, and Lacy.  But after that, we're hoping for the second coming of Jacob Lacy. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

In Response to Re: Defensive Weaknesses in Indy?:
    I'd say the Super Bowl slump is one of the biggest threats that Indy faces. I'd also say that their offensive line poses bigger problems for them, especially because I don't recall them using a high-round draft pick to improve it.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188

The OL will be the most interesting thing to watch in TC this year.  On the surface, they should be at least as good as they were last year as all the starters except one are returning.  Diem and Saturday could conceivably lose a step due to age, but it's a little early for that.  A lot of us are pretty high on 4th round pick Jacques McClendon out of Tennessee.  Howard Mudd always talked about putting all the OL in the bucket and trying them all out at different positions...the most effective configuration ends up being the starting line-up.  New OL coach Metzelaars is saying similar things.  Most of us Colt fans are just a little curious to see if Metzelaars can seemingly work miracles like Mudd used to.  Caldwell is guessing he can - only one OL was drafted this year. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

I'd say their pass defense is suspect. You have an aging Dwight Freeney who cant get pressure on teams that use just a little technique on OLINE, then, you have DBs who might as well change their names to Toast based on the times they get burnt. And, the LBs are a bunch of midget pansies who should've stuck with running track becasuse they sure dont know how to hit, therefore, they belong in a remake of Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. Other then that I'd say they're fine.

www.offthemarkcartoons.com/cartoons/2001-04-23.gif" alt="http://www.offthemarkcartoons.com/cartoons/2001-04-23.gif" />

http://poderesunidos.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/poderesunidos-umpa-lumpa_06.jpg

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Didn';t Lilja go to KC?
    Posted by russgriswold

Yes...Lilja is now a Chief. The Colts released the 6'2" 290 lb. Lilja as part of their effort to get bigger on the OL. For Lilja, its' a return to his home state. The Chiefs initially had him, but released him. He was picked up by the Colts, for whom he started at guard: http://www.kansas.com/2010/04/18/1273978/liljas-return-strengthens-chiefs.html

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Jules - Good take re: the CBs.  My biggest area of concern (and it is every year) is the interior of the D-line.  I am really hopeful that it can be better this year and that Moala can contribute.  He's saying the right things.  It just seems to me that if the interior of that D-line can do a better job it will make the D-ends better, the LB's better.  On and on. 

O-line is essentially a crapshoot.  Pollak and Ugoh have not performed up to expectations.  Lilja is gone.  Charlie Johnson can play anywhere but couldn't the colts do better.  Devan - I just don't know.  Saturday and Diem are fantastic anchors to our line, but they are not enough.  They'll be solid, not great. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

tas - I think Diem's pretty good.  Durable and dependable.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Jules, about the CBs all I can say is welcome to the club LOL In the early part of the decade when the Pats were winning titles they always had crazy injurys at CB. We won a super bowl with Earthwind Mooreland and Randal Gay LOL So I know what you mean but as they as injurys are part of the game. And for the O line i am not as positive as you are that they will be ok. They are a suspect O line at the very least and the only guy on there thats a top notch guy is Saturday.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

Very true Killa.  Problem with that OL analysis, though, is that it's been that way for a long time.  There really hasn't been a second stand-out since Tarak Glenn retired four years ago.  And yet, the offense keeps clicking and the line gave up fewer sacks than any other team last year (Manning-assisted, of course.)  If the run-game doesn't improve this year, though, I think the offense will be very affected.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Rusty is never sarcastic.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

As a Colt fan, I can say that most of our defensive concern is centered on cornerback depth this year.  It was a major concern going into the draft and the Colts used a 3rd rounder on the position.  Then, he got hurt the first or second practice of the OTAs and should be out for the year.  It seems to be a position that the team has injuries at every single year, and Polian always seems to have some college FAs or 1st year players that are ready to contribute on an emergency basis (Keiwan Ratliff, Jacob Lacy, Steve Muhammed, etc.).  The top three corners are top-notch this year: Hayden, Powers, and Lacy.  But after that, we're hoping for the second coming of Jacob Lacy. 
    Posted by JulesWinfield

Getting Bob Sanders back should help. But, as you correctly pointed out, the Colts are a bit thin at CB. Perhaps they'll bring back either Jason David, or 35 year old Nick Harper...should he be released by the Titans. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Whatever weaknesses Indy may have certainly aren't going to be exposed in that wet paper bag of a division they play in.

Now quick, someobody tell me how awesome Houston is going to be this year (again).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Whatever weaknesses Indy may have certainly aren't going to be exposed in that wet paper bag of a division they play in. Now quick, someobody tell me how awesome Houston is going to be this year (again).
    Posted by p-mike

Amen. Winning the AFC South should be a cake-walk again for Indy.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

why is there conversation about the dolts on a pats blog...the dolts have reached their pinnicle and now will start the slow decline into obscurity...

funny how people like to compare them to the pats but really there is no comparison... kinda like comparing montana and marino...both good in the regular season...but then the real deal in the playoffs was joe not marino...proven over time and championships

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Pmike - I don't know about this wet paper bag division thing you speak of.  Who was a better division in the AFC last year?  Maybe the AFC North.  Not your East. 

In fact - I provided a little information on another thread to show that the AFC South has been about the best division in the AFC over the last 4-5 yrs.  More wins.  More teams in the playoffs, etc.

jcour - how good have the pats been in the playoffs the last 5 years.  Time to starting thinking a little more currently.  The pats of the early 2000's left after the 07 year when most of the rest of the defense that carried them to their SB's (along with the taping) left, retired, or was traded. 

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

In Response to Re: Defensive Weaknesses in Indy? :      Getting Bob Sanders back should help. But, as you correctly pointed out, the Colts are a bit thin at CB. Perhaps they'll bring back either Jason David, or 35 year old Nick Harper...should he be released by the Titans. 
    Posted by TexasPat3

I think the Colts are not likely to bring back David or Harper.  Keiwan Ratliff is a possibility.  What's more the Colts' style, however, is to wait until final cuts and pick up some college free agent or 1st year waivee that Polian coveted during the draft process.  There is a good crop of CFAs on the team, so it's possible that someone will emerge who's already on the team.  The top prospects are Brandon King (Purdue), Ray Fisher (7th round pick), Thad Turner (Ohio U.), and Jordan Hemby (No. Carolina). 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

AFC South is a usually a cupcake division.   Jax and Tenn are rebuilding. Houston is still trying to field a complete team all these years. Please stop. Indy is the favorite every year mostly because of Manning and Polian.
    Posted by russgriswold

Yeah, without a doubt, Indy is now in the lesser division.  But let's face it, in the Pats' heyday, they had an easy as heck division - through 2008, really.  Jax/Tenn/Hou was much tougher than Mia/NYJ/Buff in that era.  I'm (hopefully) looking foward to an easy coast into the playoffs this year.  The Pats will have a tough time with Mia and NYJ, though.  In a way, though, if you make it to the playoffs, your team will be stronger having faced better competition throughout the year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Pmike - I don't know about this wet paper bag division thing you speak of.  Who was a better division in the AFC last year?  Maybe the AFC North.  Not your East.  In fact - I provided a little information on another thread to show that the AFC South has been about the best division in the AFC over the last 4-5 yrs.  More wins.  More teams in the playoffs, etc. jcour - how good have the pats been in the playoffs the last 5 years.  Time to starting thinking a little more currently.  The pats of the early 2000's left after the 07 year when most of the rest of the defense that carried them to their SB's (along with the taping) left, retired, or was traded. 
    Posted by underdoggggg

Sure, Jacksonville and Tennessee both had decent teams a few years ago. They don't now, and we've still got Houston playing the role of the Arizona Cardinals. Every year is going to be their "breakout" year. It's nice misdirection and I'll give you credit for using whatever you've got in hopes that people will be too lazy to counter an argument that doesn't address the question at hand, but the fact that Titans and the Jagoffs used to be good has exactly no bearing on my point about the upcoming season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

p-mike - agreed with the "now" comment.  Your point is similar to some Pats fans saying how great the pats are because they won 3 superbowls half a decade ago. 

As for Houston, were it not for the colts and bengals giving a PO spot to the Jets, they may have made the postseason.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

p-mike - agreed with the "now" comment.  Your point is similar to some Pats fans saying how great the pats are because they won 3 superbowls half a decade ago.  As for Houston, were it not for the colts and bengals giving a PO spot to the Jets, they may have made the postseason.
    Posted by underdoggggg

Wellk, in fairness, the Texans did beat the Pats last season -- whatever anyone may think of the extenuating circumstances, it was yet another second-half letdown. I'm not sure I get how pointing out that the South appears to be regressing equates with people who like to live in the past, but I don't really care, either. Maybe we should use the term "competitive" rather than "good" or "bad" in respect to divisions. I expect the East to be more competitive this year because the Dolphins are a steadily improving team, Green New Jersey appears to be shooting its bolt for this season alone, and the Pats are simply not as dominant as they have been in the past.

It's perfectly fair to say that the Pats dominance was fueled at least in part to some fairly widespread ineptitude throughout their division for several years, but in those years, more often than not, the Pats took care of business in the playoffs. I like to say that you don't train for the heavyweight championship by beating up your little sister, but the fact is that the divisions are set now and you can only play the teams the schedule puts in front of you -- or lie down in front of them, if you're a certain kind of team.

Surprised

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Defensive Weaknesses in Indy? : Wellk, in fairness, the Texans did beat the Pats last season -- whatever anyone may think of the extenuating circumstances, it was yet another second-half letdown. I'm not sure I get how pointing out that the South appears to be regressing equates with people who like to live in the past, but I don't really care, either. Maybe we should use the term "competitive" rather than "good" or "bad" in respect to divisions. I expect the East to be more competitive this year because the Dolphins are a steadily improving team, Green New Jersey appears to be shooting its bolt for this season alone, and the Pats are simply not as dominant as they have been in the past. It's perfectly fair to say that the Pats dominance was fueled at least in part to some fairly widespread ineptitude throughout their division for several years, but in those years, more often than not, the Pats took care of business in the playoffs. I like to say that you don't train for the heavyweight championship by beating up your little sister, but the fact is that the divisions are set now and you can only play the teams the schedule puts in front of you -- or lie down in front of them, if you're a certain kind of team.
    Posted by p-mike

I think in a way you are selling the AFC East division short for the last decade. It might be more accurate to say the division has had some offensive ineptitude over the course of the new millennium, but the Fins, Jets and even the Bills up to the last few years have always been some of the best defensive teams in the league. I would not classify the Texans, Jags or even Tenn as good defensive teams. Not to mention the weather in all four of the east divisions stadiums has never been ideal in the last half of the season. As opposed to the domes and Florida stadium the Dolts get to play in. I think it is ludicrous to compare over the course of the decade the two divisions. Indy's division is basically made up of TWO expansion teams. Three if you want to include Tennessee's move from Houston. The division was gift wrapped for Archy's son much like the 2006 Superbowl was.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

The Colts D is one of the most overrated pieces of crap ever. Last year they got off pure hype plays and momentum thats not happening 2 years in a row. They are poor fundamentally and skill wise that last year was pretty much them playing out of their minds. Literally I would be shocked if anyone can name the players in their secondary and who their starting corners are outside of Bethea. 

Bob Sanders hasnt been healthy for the past 4 years and he won a defensive award he shouldnt have won. He played barley anything this past year as his knee was barley holding up and then tore his biceps. Its not even a question about health anymore its about if he can play at a high level anymore.

The corners are seriously average and cant hang with Edelman, or Moss, and for that matter most of the AFC. 

They better pray that Freeny and Mathis can continue to provide a pass rush because if they dont it will be a long season for that secondary. Also their rush D looks no better. They might be faster on D but that doesnt mean you are necessarily better on D. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

I'd actually like to see who overrated the colts defense.  I didn't think overrate and colts defense could even be used in the same sentence. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Colts have two main weaknesses.  The first is money.  They're paying Payton Manning free-agent prices, which means in a league of salary cap parity that they've had to skimp on free agents. 

In this uncapped year, the owner has had to face the economic reality that Indianapolis is bracketed by Chicago, Detroit, Cincinnati and Tennessee.  They've got their one little rust belt city and a lot of cornfield scarecrows for a fan base.  That means they need to skimp on player payroll this year.  It's really too bad the Colts moved out of Baltimore.  Whoever heard of horse racing in Indianapolis anyway?

Their second weakness is that the team doesn't get to select nine second rounders in three years.  They'll just have to fill up their roster with inflatables from Toys R Us, or from the famed Indy red light district.  (Actually the red light is a stop light in Indy, but even Indy has a sex toy shop).