Defensively, It's Still About The Pass Rush....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Defensively, It's Still About The Pass Rush....

"The pass rush was completely deficient against the Ravens, with a grand total of zero sacks, six hurries, and two knockdowns. The eight total quarterback pressures were the lowest for the Patriots since Week 5 last season against the Jets."

The trickle effect re-exposed the secondary weaknesses from last year.

So, what do people think our options are going forward?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from manowar333. Show manowar333's posts

Re: Defensively, It's Still About The Pass Rush....

I think the trickle effect is a double edged sword, and just as no pressure up front affects the secondary, the inability to cover by the secondary can't have Belichick very confident about bringing real heat up front.  Options...  Keep drafting defensive players in the first round, maybe someday we'll get a keeper.

Jones and Hightower will be very good I believe, but they're still rookies and that factors in.  Also throw in the mix that Jones is being blatantly held often and eventually, either the replacement officials will be gone, start calling holding or we'll have to adjust to how they call games. 

Everyone is quick to blame the pass rush, but we were playing a pretty good team and I actually thought for most of the night, Brady wasn't really pressured all that much either, with a couple exceptions.  Considering the state of OUR offensive line, I think we did a pretty good job against a pretty good D.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

In response to BubbaInHawaii's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"The pass rush was completely deficient against the Ravens, with a grand total of zero sacks, six hurries, and two knockdowns. The eight total quarterback pressures were the lowest for the Patriots since Week 5 last season against the Jets."

The trickle effect re-exposed the secondary weaknesses from last year.

So, what do people think our options are going forward?

[/QUOTE]Bring back Andre Carter!

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

We have VW and Love clogging up the middle and giving us an up the middle push.  We have Chandler who seems to be a pretty good pash rusher for this early in his career on one edge.  The issue is we are getting nothing from the other edge which means teams can shift protection to the left side and the front 4 cannot get any consistent pressure.  I think Fanene was supposed to be the guy that was going to give us the rush from the other edge, but obviously that didn't work out.  Now we are stuck with Nink who honestly looks completely overmatched with his hand in the dirt.  Until we get another guy besides Chandler that can consistently bring some edge pressure any competent team is just going to double Chandler and do what they can to hold off our big guys in the middle.  Maybe Nink gets better as the season goes on, but I think we really need someone like JC to step up into that role although BB seems to be using him more as a DT these days.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sam0377. Show sam0377's posts

how can we not generate pass rush with 3 elite players up front? It seems like scheme issue to me more than talent. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

I agree with Patsfan..  Watching the game, you notice that Flacco was not passing quickly for quick hit plays.  This means in the initial phase of the play, the receivers are covered.  But, since the pass rush of the Pats was so poor, he was able to dance around the pocket and, therefore, the recievers were able to break free.  The Ravens were not pressured at all to get their passes off quickly.  This is the same pattern observed when Brady has time.  Give him 3 - 4 seconds and he dissects your defensive backfield all the time.  Flacco had that time. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from markrahobeth. Show markrahobeth's posts

In response to sam0377's comment:
    [QUOTE]

how can we not generate pass rush with 3 elite players up front? It seems like scheme issue to me more than talent. 

[/QUOTE]

BINGO!

An occassional blitz may help

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sam0377. Show sam0377's posts

exactly my point patsfan. If we are rushing only 3 why are they getting all these completions. shouldnt there be more people in coverage. If thats not working anyway then lets try blitzing more than 2 times a game. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

We seem to be rushing 4 this year but still not get enough pressure on opposing QBs. We ought to blitz Arrington off the corner occasionally because he certainly hasn't been able to cover anyone downfield so far.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

seems like quite a few of the players who we blitz are a 1/2 a step too slow.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Seems like weve been talkin about this for years now. U would think BB would learn by now. OBVIOUSLY his way of playing passive and the bend but dont break concept is clearly not working anymore in todays nfl. You have to send extra guys on blitzes and make the qb have to  make a play, dont let him just sit there and pick you apart, on occasion you might get burned but YOUR GETTING BURNED RIGHT NOW. At least with some blitzes it might hurry a qb into a mistake, or at least make him uncomfortable so he rushes a throw or cant wait for routes to develop. SOMETHING. ANYTHING. If your gonna lose at least lose being aggressive and make an opponent beat you. The way our schemes are we make chad henne's and matt moore  look like dan marino.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Still seem to be playing a vanilla defensive scheme. Am I wrong inthinking bb does this every year early on? First few games last year we didn't send extra rushers, and had trouble containing. As always we will add more wrinkles as bb gains confidence in guys being RPRT. Plus let's face It we were dominating this offense till the refs took over.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ding, ding, ding!  Of course he does this every year early on.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, and maybe it worked 8-10 years ago when the Patriots were winning championships, but it obviously has not lead to him hoisting the Lombardi trophy since after the 2004 season.

Can we stop pretending like BB is still some defensive mastermind that can outsmart every offensive in the NFL?