Delhomme Gets a Five Year Extension

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Delhomme Gets a Five Year Extension

More bad news for Carolina fans, who have had a horrifying off-season. First, their team gets stuck with a $16.7mil. franchise tag hit on a virtually untradable player (Julius Peppers)...who no longer wants to play for the home town team. Next, due to the cap space tied up in the JP mess, Panther fans watch as a bevy of players move on through cuts, and free agency.

But now, perhaps the cruelest blow of all. QB Jake Delhomme, who treated the home town fans to perhaps the worst performance by a quarterback in modern times, in last years' home playoff loss to Arizona (in which Delhomme tossed 5 interceptions)...has nonetheless been signed to a 5 year, $42.5mil. extension, of which $20mil. is guaranteed.

Mercy.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/2009/04/panthers-extend-delhomme.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogbones. Show dogbones's posts

Re: Delhomme Gets a Five Year Extension

Being a fan of the patriots in this era is like living in another football world.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Jake is a good NFL QB and most of you guys who sh*t on him judge too much. He is still a good NFL QB. I mean Tom Brady through like 4 picks in teh game against the Colts in 2005 and again in the game against the Jets later that year in the rain game did we all hate on him? No we didnt and thats the way it is for the Panthers. they love Jake Delhomme down there and wont toss him in the trash because of one bad game. he is still there guy and there is nothing wrong with that. You are acting like he is Cleo Lemon or something and thats not the case he is still a good nfl QB, not great but good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I guess it's true what they say about the devil you know being preferable to the devil you don't know. Somebody has to play quarterback for the Panthers, and with $20 million guaranteed you can probably look at that as more of a two-year contract. Jake has always been a feast or famine guy, so that abortion against Arizona last year was no more surprising than the way he lit up the Pats in Super Bowl XXXVIII. I know a lot of pundits (actual pundits and guys like us) were writing Ol' Jake off after he went in the tank in the playoffs, but Killa is probably right about Carolina fan. Jake is their guy, at least until they get another guy.

How many of us were considering unplumbed depths of despair in September at the thought of Matt Cassel .  .  .   MATT CASSEL .  .  .  quarterbacking the New England Patriots, only to discover by December that -- say it with me -- he was our guy. Bottom line: There aren't enough quarterbacks to go around and Jake is probably less bad than more of them than he is more shabby than some of them.

That doesn't make any sense at all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

The new world order...reward for mediocrity.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from wafostermisionero. Show wafostermisionero's posts

Gentlemen,

It really makes you thank God for the Patriots' Front Office, top to bottom, we are really blessed! Thank you Mr. Kraft and thank you Coach Belichick for building an organization which challenges for the Lombardi Trophy every year! We are spoiled rotten and we deserve it, Boston deserves the best!

Poor Carolina:

20 Million Guarenteed? Almost 43 million over 5 years? That performance by Jake is unforgettable, heck if I were Jake I WOULD HAVE BENCHED MYSELF!!! He was that bad! Even Rex Grossman is better than Jake, and that is pretty bad....WHAT IN GOD'S GREEN EARTH IS CAROLINA THINKING? You gotta feel for their fans..I feel bad for them..

Thank God for the Pats, should be an exciting draft!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

I'm speechless.
    That would be  almost as crazy as the Celtics signing Brian Scalabrine to a 5 year 15 million dollar contract. Oh wait, nevermind.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

It's good to be a Patriot Fan.  Thanks Bob,Bill and Tom.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Wasn't he coming off of a serious elbow injury and surgery last year?   It is a head-scratcher on why they would re-sign him to a long term deal going in to a possible labor strife period.  Carolina has been an enigma since the 2003 superbowl.  I think they have really under-achieved.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

File that under "whah?".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

I'm guessing they're expecting the Jake of 2004 to return instead of last season's Jake ( or they're nuts ). If last years Jake returns they're out a minimum of 20 mil. It's a huge gamble and we should all be glad we don't have to take one like it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

That is not going to help with their salary cap problems

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe81b. Show joe81b's posts

This actually helped their salary cap.  He was due to make 10 mill this year but now hes averaging only 8m per year.  not sure what the cap hit is this year but I know its less than on the previous contract.  very good for carolina, a proven qb for only 8 mill a year?!!  Led them to the SB before and won a tough NFC south last year.  Stafford just signed for 41 guaranteed and 78 total and he hasn't done sh!t yet