Derek Cox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Derek Cox

another cb gone...

Analysis:  Cox agreed to a four-year, $20 million contract with the Chargers on Wednesday night. The Chargers confirmed the deal Thursday.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Re: Derek Cox

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

another cb gone...

Analysis:  Cox agreed to a  four-year, $20 million contract with the Chargers on Wednesday night. The Chargers  confirmed the deal Thursday.

Wow, these are some LOW contracts for some very quality players. Looking at the money DRC and Cox received, looks like a soft market for CBs.

Seeing these numbers makes me somewhat disappointed that we didn't attempt to acquire either of the aforementioned players, especially considering the need.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to jri37's comment:

In response to dreighver's comment:

another cb gone...

Analysis:  Cox agreed to a  four-year, $20 million contract with the Chargers on Wednesday night. The Chargers  confirmed the deal Thursday.

Wow, these are some LOW contracts for some very quality players. Looking at the money DRC and Cox received, looks like a soft market for CBs.

Seeing these numbers makes me somewhat disappointed that we didn't attempt to acquire either of the aforementioned players, especially considering the need.

Bedard said on EEI this morning that he was being told Talib is their #1 priority as far as CB's are concerened.

That's great, and Talib should be their number 1 priority... he's by far the most talented CB on the market. With that said, you need at least 3 quality CBs in today's NFL. Dennard is great and would excel in the slot, but you need another guy outside opposite of Talib.

On top of that, a hard-hitting SS would be nice as well.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

another CB down. What are they waiting for? These aren't big contracts being handed out right now. Are they waiting to see what's left over to pay the least possible? If Talib was the priority why has it taken them so long to sign him and get a 2nd CB to help? This is beyond frustrating that we all see the problems, Brady extended his deal for less money to give them extra room, and the Pats are perfectly content to pick up the scraps after everyone else has decided what they want

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

another cb gone...

Bedard said on EEI this morning that he was being told Talib is their #1 priority as far as CB's are concerened.

That's great, and Talib should be their number 1 priority... he's by far the most talented CB on the market. With that said, you need at least 3 quality CBs in today's NFL. Dennard is great and would excel in the slot, but you need another guy outside opposite of Talib.

On top of that, a hard-hitting SS would be nice as well.

Agree, if they get Talib done i think you may see a faster pace to the way they approach the rest of free agency. 

Agree with you

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tg19pats. Show tg19pats's posts

With the money the pats have Inwant Sean smooth and Taliban signed, will take my chances with cannon and the tackle who was hurt year the rookie who tore his pecs, lets get the two big CBS signed then sign a young unproven big wr

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

49ers and Chifes are interested in Smith

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to tg19pats' comment:

With the money the pats have Inwant Sean smooth and Taliban signed, will take my chances with cannon and the tackle who was hurt year the rookie who tore his pecs, lets get the two big CBS signed then sign a young unproven big wr

Is english your first language?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

Now, the Pats have a good idea what the market is for FA cornerbacks and so does the Talib camp.

If they signed him right away, they may have spent too much.  

I think the Pats can now retain Talib at a reasonable cost and get some other players in there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tg19pats. Show tg19pats's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

Yes, just a bad typer, thanks for adding to the conversation, what are your thoughts on football?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Salcon. Show Salcon's posts

In response to Salcon's comment:

Yes, just a bad typer, thanks for adding to the conversation, what are your thoughts on football?

See my second post.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from izgood. Show izgood's posts

Still available...who do you want?

CB: Talib, Smith, Grimes, Winfield (slot), Lewis, Williams, Huff (S/CB)

S: Huff, Delmas, Dawan Landry

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to izgood's comment:

That's not a great selection left. BTW Landry signed with the Colts and I think Grimes resigned with Atl

Out of what's left give me Talib and Lewis and I'd rather have Mikell at SS, Delmas wouldn't be bad but then we'd need an ambulance on duty for our entire roster

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Oh boy... that's not a good sign. When I hear rumors like that I think that it probably means they end up where the WW deal ended up. LOL

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to izgood's comment:

That's not a great selection left. BTW Landry signed with the Colts and I think Grimes resigned with Atl

Out of what's left give me Talib and Lewis and I'd rather have Mikell at SS, Delmas wouldn't be bad but then we'd need an ambulance on duty for our entire roster

Pollard, Wilson, Rhodes, Reed what about one of those guys?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

So was Cox and or DRC at the top of your list of CBs you wanted the Pats to sign, or do you just want to sign any CB. What we are seeing is a very weak market for quality CBs this year - has any of them signed for more than 5M/yr? So it may take a few days for whichever ones the Pats want to come to grips with the fact that no team is handing out 10M/yr or 8M or 7M or even 6M for a CB this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKing's comment:

another CB down. What are they waiting for? These aren't big contracts being handed out right now. Are they waiting to see what's left over to pay the least possible? If Talib was the priority why has it taken them so long to sign him and get a 2nd CB to help? This is beyond frustrating that we all see the problems, Brady extended his deal for less money to give them extra room, and the Pats are perfectly content to pick up the scraps after everyone else has decided what they want

Talib.  Calm down, dude. They like Talib. The market is settling. Why are you complaining left and right now?

What on earth has happened to you?

Eng-  You're a smart person.  I've always enjoyed and respected your posts.  You are really dialed in on the draft stuff and have very good ideas on the draft forum.  I just don't get why you are freaking out so much.  Rusty is right.  NE likely has their sights set on Talib and they are probably waiting for the price to settle before they sign him.  If it isn't Talib then it is another CB that they like.  They have a plan, just like they had a plan to get Amendola.  Like it or not, Amendola was they guy they wanted, not Welker.  Denver didn't steal him, BB let him go.  Free Agency is one of the most over-rated parts of the NFL season.  WE WILL BE FINE.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Why I'm freaking out is because I've seen clear areas of need and have for a long time and they keep trying to fix it with patch fixes using the left over CB's once the market "settles". You know what type of players you get once the market settles? You get the players no other teams wanted and there's a reason for that. You get Fanenes and Springs and Boddens and Gaffneys and I'm tired of seeing the window get smaller and smaller and using this approach of waiting for the cheapest deal to plug holes. I actually went through it one day, did you know that they've given out over 26mil in signing bonuses to FAs and used 3 2nd rounders and 1 1st rounder in attempts to replace Samuel. We aren't talking Law here we are talking Sameul. Last year they had 22mil in dead money and over half of it came from players that only played for the team for 1 year or were cut before the reg season even started. If they took a chance and spent that money on a proven talent every so often instead of buying the six pack of blue ribbon and hoping one magically turns into Guinness we wouldn't still be looking for a replacement. I'm just frustrated with this bone headed approach that hasn't work time and time again in FA only finding 1 yr quick fixes who never get you over the top. I don't want them to go crazy but would it have killed them to spend a little money on Goldson 2 years ago when he was young and tons of potential instead of letting him get away over a difference of 1mil instead of signing Ellis to a $5mil deal? Yes they spend to the cap and no I don't want them to pull a philly or bills but when you have clear holes at the starting position you sometimes need to pay more to get the talent and get that extra push over the top then to sit back and wait for the 2nd and 3rd teir FA market to fall out. BTW, with only 3 picks in the first 3 rounds do you honestly see them making a trade for an impact player, honestly?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Why I'm freaking out is because I've seen clear areas of need and have for a long time and they keep trying to fix it with patch fixes using the left over CB's once the market "settles". You know what type of players you get once the market settles? You get the players no other teams wanted and there's a reason for that. You get Fanenes and Springs and Boddens and Gaffneys and I'm tired of seeing the window get smaller and smaller and using this approach of waiting for the cheapest deal to plug holes. I actually went through it one day, did you know that they've given out over 26mil in signing bonuses to FAs and used 3 2nd rounders and 1 1st rounder in attempts to replace Samuel. We aren't talking Law here we are talking Sameul. Last year they had 22mil in dead money and over half of it came from players that only played for the team for 1 year or were cut before the reg season even started. If they took a chance and spent that money on a proven talent every so often instead of buying the six pack of blue ribbon and hoping one magically turns into Guinness we wouldn't still be looking for a replacement. I'm just frustrated with this bone headed approach that hasn't work time and time again in FA only finding 1 yr quick fixes who never get you over the top. I don't want them to go crazy but would it have killed them to spend a little money on Goldson 2 years ago when he was young and tons of potential instead of letting him get away over a difference of 1mil instead of signing Ellis to a $5mil deal? Yes they spend to the cap and no I don't want them to pull a philly or bills but when you have clear holes at the starting position you sometimes need to pay more to get the talent and get that extra push over the top then to sit back and wait for the 2nd and 3rd teir FA market to fall out. BTW, with only 3 picks in the first 3 rounds do you honestly see them making a trade for an impact player, honestly?

The market is flooded. Unless you had your sights set on Derek Cox and don't like Talib and the fact we know he can play in BB's D so far, what is the issue?

If Talib signs elsewhere, then it might make sense to pose the questions you're posing.

I am really shocked at your knee jeerk posts the last couple of days.

We all know BB completes the picture with FA and the draft after the draft and even into camp. We all pretty much agree where the weaker spots are and they're being addressed.

Let the moron organizations overpay for specific players who are simply out for the money and not for trying to win a SB.

Smith and Grimes gone too. Not so flooded anymore. Of the 2nd teir CBs left you have

Nnamdi, Huff??, Talib, Lewis and 3rd teir you have Williams, Hall, Arrington  

Rusty they spend money on players they cut and have dead money. They had it last year in $22mil. I mean really they had almost as much in dead money from those players they let "settle" as they have space this year. BTW they signed Gaffney last year too and it cost them $150k in dead money to have in camp for a week. They bring in 20 players on the cehap and maybe 2 work out and play and we point to those players and say amazing how he finds them but never point to the Gallerys (500k dead money), Fanene's (2mil dead money last year 2 mil dead money this year), Bodden (1.5mil dead money last year). Why is that? He loses more money in dead money for players who didn't even play a single down last year (Gallery and Fanene) then what it took to get a Quin. Do you think that's acceptable? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

The market is flooded. Unless you had your sights set on Derek Cox and don't like Talib and the fact we know he can play in BB's D so far, what is the issue?

If Talib signs elsewhere, then it might make sense to pose the questions you're posing.

I am really shocked at your knee jeerk posts the last couple of days.

We all know BB completes the picture with FA and the draft after the draft and even into camp. We all pretty much agree where the weaker spots are and they're being addressed.

Let the moron organizations overpay for specific players who are simply out for the money and not for trying to win a SB.

Smith and Grimes gone too. Not so flooded anymore. Of the 2nd teir CBs left you have

Nnamdi, Huff??, Talib, Lewis and 3rd teir you have Williams, Hall, Arrington  

Again, Grimes DID NOT resign.