DERRICK BURGESS RESIGNING = GOOD / BAD?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

DERRICK BURGESS RESIGNING = GOOD / BAD?

Now that BURGESS Has Been Resigned ...

Whats your take ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

Re: DERRICK BURGESS RESIGNING = GOOD / BAD?

great signing, he was great when AD was off the field, and a good job being a sub rusher down the home stretch, he will definitly get some decent playing time this year

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

precisely I put it between good and Awesome

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

good move...with the other younger guys they have ...crable, davis, murrell, nincovich and cunningham...should be some good competition..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

At least, they didn't waste valuable draft picks for signing him this time... Undecided

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Great. It gives NE TWO vets at the outside spots.

That gives Cunningham some leeway to work his way in late in the season, or perhaps in 2011.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

He now knows the system and has played in all defensive packages....he will be a valuable addition and able to help the young-uns....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

He starts opposite TBC.

TBC>>>>>>>MAYO>>>>SPIKES>>>>>>>BURGESS

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from HRK103. Show HRK103's posts

IMHO~ OLB is a weak spot. TBC is an good rusher but weak against the run and in coverage. Burgess is the game one starter with Nichovich seeing playing time. The kids will need time to learn the position. Hopefully one of these guys steps up and takes the position, Cunningham,Crable, or Guyton. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

I like it. At least it justifies the draft pick(s) we gave up to bring him in. I think there was an improvement in his play late in the season so hopefully that carries over into this upcoming one. Bottom line: He can't hurt!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to DERRICK BURGESS RESIGNING = GOOD / BAD?:
        Now that BURGESS Has Been Resigned ... Whats your take ?
    Posted by CapFoxboro

How about indifferent?  The Patriots didn't get worse or better with the signing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I would call this move a hedging your bet move. So no matter how fast Cunningham can acclimate to the speed of the NFL they will have a proven Pass Rushing OLB/DE.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Nice move.  Addresses the depth at OLB and adds another veteran leader to the locker room.  However, if he's playing more than a 1/3 of the snaps this year that's a bad sign.  In fact, I think he would be best used as a rush DE in a nickel package. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to DERRICK BURGESS RESIGNING = GOOD / BAD?:
        Now that BURGESS Has Been Resigned ... Whats your take ?
    Posted by CapFoxboro

Can''t hurt.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Good move because it's low risk for potentially decent reward. 

Most people on this board have TBC penciled in already as the starter at OLB. Are we all sure this will happen? Could Cunningham, may I dare say Crable, or possibly Murrell, Davis, etc. win a spot over TBC and Burgess? 

I don't feel comfortable with TBC and Burgess as my starting OLB's. Perhaps they are the best we have at the position, but they put the fear of God in me, and probably not other teams as well. 

I pray Cunningham steps up and Crable finally come out of his cellar to play this year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from timsandra. Show timsandra's posts

In Response to Re: DERRICK BURGESS RESIGNING = GOOD / BAD?:
    great signing, he was great when AD was off the field, and a good job being a sub rusher down the home stretch, he will definitly get some decent playing time this year
    Posted by TateGroup

SHUT UP CRY BABY! GO CRY TO THE MODS AGAIN!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

NEAR THE END OF THE SEASON,THE FINAL FOUR OR FIVE GAMES MANY OF US FELT HE HAD FINALLY REACHED THE POINT OF UNDERSTANDING B.B.'S COMPLICATED AND PRECISELY DEFINED DEFENSIVE SYSTEM AND BE BEGAN TO ACT AND REACT RATHER THAN HAVING TO THINK ABOUT WHAT HIS NEXT MOVE SHOULD BE.STRANGRLY,IT DID NOT SEEM TO BE AN INCREMENTAL LEARNING EXPERIENCE,BUT RATHER A SUDDEN LIGHT(GESTALT?)MAKING THINGS CLEAR AND INSTINCTIVE.IF THIS IS THE CASE,AND ASSUMING THAT HE DISPLAYS THE WORK ETHIC THAT B.B.DEMANDS,HE COULD WELL EFECTIVE IN THE PATS DEFENSIVE ROTATION.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Good move because it's low risk for potentially decent reward.  Most people on this board have TBC penciled in already as the starter at OLB. Are we all sure this will happen? Could Cunningham, may I dare say Crable, or possibly Murrell, Davis, etc. win a spot over TBC and Burgess?  I don't feel comfortable with TBC and Burgess as my starting OLB's. Perhaps they are the best we have at the position, but they put the fear of God in me, and probably not other teams as well.  I pray Cunningham steps up and Crable finally come out of his cellar to play this year.
    Posted by PatsLifer
    If the great Crable can ever stay on the field,he might actually be just that,Great! As for pencilling in anyone at a position,about the only guys on this team with those qualities are guys like Wilfork,Mayo,Bodden,
    Brady,Moss and most of the O-line.In all about 9 players have the status of being pencilled in...Though I might add even those guys could easily lose their positions for a myriad of reasons...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Burgess is nothing but a situational pass rusher...which is exactly what we need. He has a grand total of ZERO interceptions for his career. He will only be used to rush the QB. Cunningham will still need to be on the field.

We are now a young athletic defense sprinkled with a few veteran pieces. We have great depth in the secondary, Solid and deep linebacking core( who are fast,athletic and strong) and lots of big bodies on the d-line with the additions of Lewis, Warren. We have depth and we have some young wild cards in Mckenzie, Crable, Ninckovich, Brace and Chung. Most of these guys are high draft picks with lots of upside and we don't even need them to contribute right away.

I am very excited to see an athletic young BB defense this year!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

It seems like it takes a while to really learn the OLB position in BB's system. So I wouldn't expect much from Cunningham in the first year.  Even experienced vets struggle with it when they come here (Thomas never adjusted to it).  Burgess, though, seemed to be getting it toward year-end last year, so I think he gives you someone who can play the spot (and maybe even excell at it with a year under his belt ) while Cunningham learns.  In an ideal situation, Cunningham will get more reps at the spot as the season goes on and maybe eventually win a starting position, while TBC and Burgess will start to compete for the other slot. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I thinkif Crable show anything in preseason Burgess has a hard time making the team

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Good move, low risk, potential high reward.  As a minimum it adds depth and experience. I can see no down-side.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

At least, they didn't waste valuable draft picks for signing him this time...
    Posted by FrogLegs

LoL, agreed!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

I am surprised at the positive reaction.....Where was this reation before the draft?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Supernova13. Show Supernova13's posts

I feel it was a solid move that will help to bolster the pass rush. 

If you take his stats from the last four games and project them over a full season, then they come out to 12 sacks and 72 sacks.