Devin McCourty has minor surgery

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Devin McCourty has minor surgery

In response to rkarp's comment:

Wozzy, we have and continue to see a different game. I applaud your passion and your love for all Pats. Just because I can see some faults and pass comment, doesn't make me less a fan, nor a troll. I leave blood, sweat and tears in Foxboro most Sundays in the fall just like you. I would like you to expect more from the team, and not settle for anything less than a SB. That doesn't mean you have to accept anything with a Pats logo on it. This team is not perfect and has the brains, dollars and need for improvements. Don't settle for less.

The Pat's are the vanguard franchise in all pro football, maybe in all of sports, they continually put a competitive, exciting team on the field year after year that battles for a championship.

Temper your expectations, it's not your money to spend and they spend to their limit every year while leaving a little in the "oh sht" kitty just in case something goes wrong. 

You guys would have this franchise bankrupt, cellar dwelling at the bottom of the NFL if left to your devices and wild shop with your eyes mentality.

Other teams wish they had our sux players like McCourty and Mayo...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Actually McCourty DID in fact make the Pro Bowl and All Pro team his rookie season...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devin_McCourty

McCourty didn't fall apart year two, the defensive backfield fell apart, at safety in particular with injuries to Chung and others.  McCourty was moved back there because it shored up the long bombs we were giving up.  Belichick has a history of doing this, like when he drafted a cornerback out of Illinois and moved him to Free Safety named Eugene Wilson.

You guys don't see a pattern here do you, on every thread on this site you knock ALL of our players, hell on game day I can remember gems like "Wilfork is losing it" and "Brady can't throw the long ball anymore" or our All Pro, Pro Bowl linebacker who leads the entire NFL is tackles Jerod Mayo "sux."

Oh I know, stats are meaningless, tackles and interceptions don't mean anything... I would never prescribe pills to anyone, but you guys should seriously get on some happy pills.  Or better yet, go be Bengals fans, that way you could revel in how badly your team actually does sux.

Eugene Wilson didn't play one single second as a corner for us - the minute he got here he was put at safety - and he did well. McCourty was drafted to be a corner...he failed...we moved him to safety. He has looked decent at safety so far (then again a turkey sandwich would of looked better than what he replaced at safety for us). If he does well at safety this year, I'll consider him a good draft selection...if he doesn't, I won't. This will be his fourth season - 4 seasons is enough to know if a guy can play.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Wozzy, we have and continue to see a different game. I applaud your passion and your love for all Pats. Just because I can see some faults and pass comment, doesn't make me less a fan, nor a troll. I leave blood, sweat and tears in Foxboro most Sundays in the fall just like you. I would like you to expect more from the team, and not settle for anything less than a SB. That doesn't mean you have to accept anything with a Pats logo on it. This team is not perfect and has the brains, dollars and need for improvements. Don't settle for less.

The Pat's are the vanguard franchise in all pro football, maybe in all of sports, they continually put a competitive, exciting team on the field year after year that battles for a championship.

Temper your expectations, it's not your money to spend and they spend to their limit every year while leaving a little in the "oh sht" kitty just in case something goes wrong. 

You guys would have this franchise bankrupt, cellar dwelling at the bottom of the NFL if left to your devices and wild shop with your eyes mentality.

They do not spend to the limit every year...last year they didn't spend 4 million..the year before they didn't spend 7 million. I guarantee that the money they didn't spend could of brought us a defensive lineman you always say we need - and I can guarantee that would of helped. I can also guarantee there are plenty or organizations that don't wish they had Jerod Mayo and his 45 million dollar contract.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

They do not spend to the limit every year...last year they didn't spend 4 million..the year before they didn't spend 7 million. I guarantee that the money they didn't spend could of brought us a defensive lineman you always say we need - and I can guarantee that would of helped. I can also guarantee there are plenty or organizations that don't wish they had Jerod Mayo and his 45 million dollar contract.

how can you guarantee that? You admitted to me that you are a negative Pats fan. You know your opinions are tainted. Perhaps Bill Belichick knows more about judging talent then you or that T-cal guy. I read your posts during the game feed. You guys are 2 of the most negative "fans" I have ever come across. 

Here learn something....and again, maybe Bill Belichick has reason to pay Mayo this type of money. Oh wait maybe yours and T-Cals coaching "eye" is more efficient at judging who BB should and should not pay....Good one.

DENVER - The Patriots ensured that linebacker Jerod Mayo won’t be going anywhere any time soon, signing him to a five-year contract extension yesterday that will keep him with the team through 2017, a league source confirmed to the Globe.

Related  

As is generally their custom, the Patriots did not release a statement on the deal.

The 10th overall pick out of Tennessee in 2008, Mayo’s rookie contract was not set to expire until after the 2012 season. He’s one of the few players to receive an extension in a noncontract year during Bill Belichick’s tenure.

Almost since the day he arrived in Foxborough, Belichick has lauded Mayo’s on-field smarts, instincts, athletic ability, work ethic, leadership, and consistency. Teammates see Mayo as a younger version of Belichick in terms of his approach to the game.

The last Patriots player to receive a contract extension soon after signing a rookie contract was Ty Warren. The defensive end signed a six-year contract when he was drafted in 2003, and was given a five-year extension in August 2007, though he was released during training camp this year.

Vince Wilfork played through his rookie deal and was briefly tagged as the Patriots’ franchise player in 2010 before he received a five-year deal. Logan Mankins had to wait six seasons and a half-year played under a reduced restricted free agent number before he got a six-year contract this August.

Mayo did not have to wait.

The NFL’s Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2008 was a first-team All-Pro last year, making his first Pro Bowl after leading the NFL in tackles with 193 (115 solo). He also recorded two sacks, five pass breakups, three fumble recoveries, and a forced fumble.

Last week against the Redskins, he sealed the game with his second career interception. Mayo’s first pick came a week earlier against Indianapolis.

Mayo missed two games in October because of a sprained medial collateral ligament. He said Friday that the injury is “getting better,’’ but MCL sprains can only fully heal with rest.

Still just 25 years old, the Virginia native has a team-leading 75 tackles and has been credited with four quarterback hits.

Mayo’s base salary this year is just $600,000; in March 2010, his contract was restructured and he received future salary money in an upfront bonus. Because of that, he still counts just over $5 million against the Patriots’ salary cap this season, according to league documents.

His base salary next year is set to be $750,000, though there is an escalator in his contract that could increase that by as much as $800,000. Mayo will still count just over $5 million against the cap, again because of the prorated bonus money.

The Patriots’ next major contract to address is Wes Welker: The receiver is in the final year of the five-year contract he signed upon his arrival in 2007. He has topped 100 receptions in four seasons here, with a low of 86 last season a mere seven months after undergoing surgery for torn knee ligaments

- See more at: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2011/12/18/patriots_sign_jerod_mayo_to_five_year_contract_extension/#sthash.ILDlrPti.dpuf

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

tcal2

I heard he had his inflamed suck glands removed.  Let hope this improves his play this year.

rkarp

[QUOTE]

They also removed his takes bad angles bone out

[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I like McCorty. He had a great first year of course and not so good 2nd year.  But I thought he did well at safety last season an call me crazy, but I am excited to see how he does at safety again this season.  I think he will learn a lot from Wilson. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Eugene Wilson didn't play one single second as a corner for us - the minute he got here he was put at safety - and he did well. McCourty was drafted to be a corner...he failed...we moved him to safety. He has looked decent at safety so far (then again a turkey sandwich would of looked better than what he replaced at safety for us). If he does well at safety this year, I'll consider him a good draft selection...if he doesn't, I won't. This will be his fourth season - 4 seasons is enough to know if a guy can play.  

Wrong.  Ty Law didn't play in the entire preseason, the starting corners for the entire preseason were Eugene Wilson and Asante Samuel.  When time came to decide who would start at free safety Belichick went with Wilson which put Asante in the slot on nickel packages.  The other starting corner was Tyrone Poole who also was played sparingly in preseason.

McCourty didn't fail at corner, the defense was beat up in the secondary, Chung only played 8 games, the other options were Sergio Brown and James Ihedigbo, Devin was moved back there because Arrington and Sterling Moore could play corner and McCourty could make up for their lack of speed.  Belichick stated as much when he gave McCourty a vote of confidence and called his number to save their season.  

McCourty played well last season on yet another undermanned defense, just like most other positions, you think coverage is the sole responsibility of the defensive back, that it happens in a vacuum.  How about the guys in front of him, don't they have a responsibility to get to the QB?  Doesn't the offense bear more responsibility than to score 13 points in a playoff game against the Ravens or 17 points in the Super Bowl against the Giants?

The more I post here the more I realize that many have never played organized football at even the pee wee level.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Wrong.  Ty Law didn't play in the entire preseason, the starting corners for the entire preseason were Eugene Wilson and Asante Samuel.  When time came to decide who would start at free safety Belichick went with Wilson which put Asante in the slot on nickel packages.  The other starting corner was Tyrone Poole who also was played sparingly in preseason.

McCourty didn't fail at corner, the defense was beat up in the secondary, Chung only played 8 games, the other options were Sergio Brown and James Ihedigbo, Devin was moved back there because Arrington and Sterling Moore could play corner and McCourty could make up for their lack of speed.  Belichick stated as much when he gave McCourty a vote of confidence and called his number to save their season.  

McCourty played well last season on yet another undermanned defense, just like most other positions, you think coverage is the sole responsibility of the defensive back, that it happens in a vacuum.  How about the guys in front of him, don't they have a responsibility to get to the QB?  Doesn't the offense bear more responsibility than to score 13 points in a playoff game against the Ravens or 17 points in the Super Bowl against the Giants?

The more I post here the more I realize that many have never played organized football at even the pee wee level.

I stand corrected, Wilson played corner during the preseason...you're right.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

tcal2

I heard he had his inflamed suck glands removed.  Let hope this improves his play this year.

rkarp

They also removed his takes bad angles bone out

Sweet TFB

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

how can you guarantee that? You admitted to me that you are a negative Pats fan. You know your opinions are tainted. Perhaps Bill Belichick knows more about judging talent then you or that T-cal guy. I read your posts during the game feed. You guys are 2 of the most negative "fans" I have ever come across. 

Here learn something....and again, maybe Bill Belichick has reason to pay Mayo this type of money. Oh wait maybe yours and T-Cals coaching "eye" is more efficient at judging who BB should and should not pay....Good one.

DENVER - The Patriots ensured that linebacker Jerod Mayo won’t be going anywhere any time soon, signing him to a five-year contract extension yesterday that will keep him with the team through 2017, a league source confirmed to the Globe.

Related

As is generally their custom, the Patriots did not release a statement on the deal.

The 10th overall pick out of Tennessee in 2008, Mayo’s rookie contract was not set to expire until after the 2012 season. He’s one of the few players to receive an extension in a noncontract year during Bill Belichick’s tenure.

Almost since the day he arrived in Foxborough, Belichick has lauded Mayo’s on-field smarts, instincts, athletic ability, work ethic, leadership, and consistency. Teammates see Mayo as a younger version of Belichick in terms of his approach to the game.

The last Patriots player to receive a contract extension soon after signing a rookie contract was Ty Warren. The defensive end signed a six-year contract when he was drafted in 2003, and was given a five-year extension in August 2007, though he was released during training camp this year.

Vince Wilfork played through his rookie deal and was briefly tagged as the Patriots’ franchise player in 2010 before he received a five-year deal. Logan Mankins had to wait six seasons and a half-year played under a reduced restricted free agent number before he got a six-year contract this August.

The NFL’s Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2008 was a first-team All-Pro last year, making his first Pro Bowl after leading the NFL in tackles with 193 (115 solo). He also recorded two sacks, five pass breakups, three fumble recoveries, and a forced fumble.

Last week against the Redskins, he sealed the game with his second career interception. Mayo’s first pick came a week earlier against Indianapolis.

Mayo missed two games in October because of a sprained medial collateral ligament. He said Friday that the injury is “getting better,’’ but MCL sprains can only fully heal with rest.

Still just 25 years old, the Virginia native has a team-leading 75 tackles and has been credited with four quarterback hits.

Mayo’s base salary this year is just $600,000; in March 2010, his contract was restructured and he received future salary money in an upfront bonus. Because of that, he still counts just over $5 million against the Patriots’ salary cap this season, according to league documents.

His base salary next year is set to be $750,000, though there is an escalator in his contract that could increase that by as much as $800,000. Mayo will still count just over $5 million against the cap, again because of the prorated bonus money.

The Patriots’ next major contract to address is Wes Welker: The receiver is in the final year of the five-year contract he signed upon his arrival in 2007. He has topped 100 receptions in four seasons here, with a low of 86 last season a mere seven months after undergoing surgery for torn knee ligaments

- See more at: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2011/12/18/patriots_sign_jerod_mayo_to_five_year_contract_extension/#sthash.ILDlrPti.dpuf

See here's the thing, I can have an opinion, just like you can sit there and guzzle koolaid all day. I can have an opinion on a player and you can glamorize averageness...just gloss right on over everything until the player is cut, traded or not resigned (see Chung).

If you are paying attention to my game thread posts, you must be skipping over the parts where I praise the good plays/players. We haven't won anything in almost a decade...there have been more than enough mistakes made in that time span. Sorry. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

But will he sign McCourty at that money? 

Belichick won't over pay for anybody.  If McCourty takes a fair market deal for his position than he'll be a Patriot.

If MCourty leads the league in interceptions, makes the Pro Bowl/All Pro team with crazy stats will you and TCal come back here to backtrack... some how I doubt it.

fixed it for you Woz

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

not my team....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

not my team....

Yeah, who's in your LB corps again? And McCourty got an all-pro vote last season, that's one more than both Stevie Brown and Antrell Rolle combined. The Giants defense, without the pass-rushers, would be 100 times worst than our defense. 

And if the Pats and Giants were to switch Brady and Belichick for Manning and Coughlin after 2007, how much you want to bet that the Giants would've won 2 or more SBs since then, instead you bolstering back to back 9-7 records with a lucky playoff run to hang on to. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Belichick won't over pay for anybody.  If McCourty takes a fair market deal for his position than he'll be a Patriot.

If MCourty leads the league in interceptions, makes the Pro Bowl/All Pro team with crazy stats will you and TCal come back here to backtrack... some how I doubt it.

fixed it for you Woz

You might be the biggest moron on this board, and my good God that is saying something.  League with salary cap, cap floor, cap ceiling, and the Pats are the 8th highest and yet you try to disparage BB for "being cheap."  You can lead a moron to facts, but you can't force him to comprehend them.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Typical thread from the "everybody on our team sux" gloomer.  And look at that!  The supporters of this thread are also members of the Doom and Gloom Because Everybody Sux Club.  Ugh.  How is McCourty in the NFL?  How did QB's have the lowest QBR when throwing his way?  Wait, he did?  No way!  He sux!  So does all-pro LB Mayo!!

Per profootballfocus: In the games Devin McCourty played mainly at safety, quarterbacks had a 10.1 quarterback rating when throwing his way, which was the lowest for all safeties. In games where he played at cornerback, quarterbacks had a 78.2 rating when throwing McCourty’s way.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Related

See here's the thing, I can have an opinion, just like you can sit there and guzzle koolaid all day. I can have an opinion on a player and you can glamorize averageness...just gloss right on over everything until the player is cut, traded or not resigned (see Chung).

If you are paying attention to my game thread posts, you must be skipping over the parts where I praise the good plays/players. We haven't won anything in almost a decade...there have been more than enough mistakes made in that time span. Sorry. 

You are the last person that should be deeming people to be Kool-Aid drinkers.  You have guzzled more Brady Kool-Aid that you've sucked him dry.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to IrishMob7's comment:

Typical thread from the "everybody on our team sux" gloomer.  And look at that! The supporters of this thread are also members of the Doom and Gloom Because Everybody Sux Club.  Ugh.  How is McCourty in the NFL?  How did QB's have the lowest QBR when throwing his way?  Wait, he did?  No way!  He sux!  So does all-pro LB Mayo!!

Per profootballfocus: In the games Devin McCourty played mainly at safety, quarterbacks had a 10.1 quarterback rating when throwing his way, which was the lowest for all safeties. In games where he played at cornerback, quarterbacks had a 78.2 rating when throwing McCourty’s way.

People see what they want to see. There were 10,833 pass completions in the NFL last season. Every corner and every safety allows completions. Lots of them. Every game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:

Typical thread from the "everybody on our team sux" gloomer.  And look at that! The supporters of this thread are also members of the Doom and Gloom Because Everybody Sux Club.  Ugh.  How is McCourty in the NFL?  How did QB's have the lowest QBR when throwing his way?  Wait, he did?  No way!  He sux!  So does all-pro LB Mayo!!

People see what they want to see. There were 10,833 pass completions in the NFL last season. Every corner and every safety allows completions. Lots of them. Every game.

Agreed.  But our "fans" seem to have this disorder where they over-value every player on opposite teams, but under-value every single player on our squad.   Frankly, it's embarrassing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Typical thread from the "everybody on our team sux" gloomer.  And look at that!  The supporters of this thread are also members of the Doom and Gloom Because Everybody Sux Club.  Ugh.  How is McCourty in the NFL?  How did QB's have the lowest QBR when throwing his way?  Wait, he did?  No way!  He sux!  So does all-pro LB Mayo!!

Wow, I knew he was good back there, but I didn't know he was THAT good. Wowzers! 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to 49Patriots's comment:

not my team....

Yeah, who's in your LB corps again? And McCourty got an all-pro vote last season, that's one more than both Stevie Brown and Antrell Rolle combined. The Giants defense, without the pass-rushers, would be 100 times worst than our defense. 

And if the Pats and Giants were to switch Brady and Belichick for Manning and Coughlin after 2007, how much you want to bet that the Giants would've won 2 or more SBs since then, instead you bolstering back to back 9-7 records with a lucky playoff run to hang on to. 

all i can say is i am glad eli and coughlin are on my side thank you very much  :  )

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

fixed it for you Woz

You might be the biggest moron on this board, and my good God that is saying something.  League with salary cap, cap floor, cap ceiling, and the Pats are the 8th highest and yet you try to disparage BB for "being cheap."  You can lead a moron to facts, but you can't force him to comprehend them.

lighten up francis

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

fixed it for you Woz

lighten up francis

Stop being a provoking knucklehead with an agenda and all will be well, nancy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

fixed it for you Woz

lighten up francis

Stop being a provoking knucklehead with an agenda and all will be well, nancy.

it's not necessarily "provoking" sally

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Woz,

I challenge you to take the time to find anywhere that I said those players sux?

I did say that in my opinion that Washington, Jenkins and Wilson are on the wrong side of 30. I have applauded the Vollmer signing, and also agree Arrington was needed. I like Talib as a player but as everyone else in the NFL does, question his reliability. (Mentally and physically)

I also said that last years free agency signings left me really frustrated and disappointed. 

And yes, I was not a fan of the Ocho, Ellis and Albert era.

Can you tell me how that translates into me wanting to bankrupt the franchise, and wildly shop for free agents? 

It seems like this board is splitting into 2 camps.

First camp says we live and die for the Pats and we visit this board daily for updates and to state our passion. We think BB is the best coach in the history of the NFL. It's been 10 years since a SB win, and we want more than winning AFC east divisions, and have some concerns that when Brady retires, things will be a lot more difficult. We find some of BB's free agency decisions frustrating, and this is a good forum to vent those frustrations. 

Second camp seems to say BB simply can do no wrong. How dare anyone come to this board and post a comment that disagrees with anything BB or the Pats do. And if anyone does come to this board and disagree, they will be shouted down, called names and told they are not true fans. 

I am a 30 year season ticket holder (in the family for 30 years while I have footed the bill for 15 of those years) who has also attended 4 Super Bowls. I have put my money where my mouth is, and feel my passionate criticism is warranted. I don't have to tell anyone who attends games about the cost of attending in Foxboro. I read where Krafts worth was over $2 billion, of which the Pats most likely account for 85-95% of that. Still, I applaud the well thought out money management decisions, and admire the ability of cold hearted ness which other teams have such a hard time with (hello Cowboys). 

Dont mistake passion for trolling and negativity.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Woz,

I challenge you to take the time to find anywhere that I said those players sux?

I did say that in my opinion that Washington, Jenkins and Wilson are on the wrong side of 30. I have applauded the Vollmer signing, and also agree Arrington was needed. I like Talib as a player but as everyone else in the NFL does, question his reliability. (Mentally and physically)

I also said that last years free agency signings left me really frustrated and disappointed. 

And yes, I was not a fan of the Ocho, Ellis and Albert era.

Can you tell me how that translates into me wanting to bankrupt the franchise, and wildly shop for free agents? 

It seems like this board is splitting into 2 camps.

First camp says we live and die for the Pats and we visit this board daily for updates and to state our passion. We think BB is the best coach in the history of the NFL. It's been 10 years since a SB win, and we want more than winning AFC east divisions, and have some concerns that when Brady retires, things will be a lot more difficult. We find some of BB's free agency decisions frustrating, and this is a good forum to vent those frustrations. 

Second camp seems to say BB simply can do no wrong. How dare anyone come to this board and post a comment that disagrees with anything BB or the Pats do. And if anyone does come to this board and disagree, they will be shouted down, called names and told they are not true fans. 

I am a 30 year season ticket holder (in the family for 30 years while I have footed the bill for 15 of those years) who has also attended 4 Super Bowls. I have put my money where my mouth is, and feel my passionate criticism is warranted. I don't have to tell anyone who attends games about the cost of attending in Foxboro. I read where Krafts worth was over $2 billion, of which the Pats most likely account for 85-95% of that. Still, I applaud the well thought out money management decisions, and admire the ability of cold hearted ness which other teams have such a hard time with (hello Cowboys). 

Dont mistake passion for trolling and negativity.

Excellent post!