Devin McCourty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from neilmacengi. Show neilmacengi's posts

Re: Devin McCourty

He's likely to fall in that range and he fits the Colts type of scheme

Colts have drafted many Rutgers players before(currently have LB Gary Brackett and DT Eric Foster both from Rutgers), and need an extra CB

Muscle Max XL

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from neilmacengi. Show neilmacengi's posts

However, my favorite team, the Vikings, pick right before Indy, and they also need secondary help. McCourty has experience playing Cover 2, so I don't know if the Vikes would let him fall to the Colts.

http://www.articlesbase.com/health-articles/muscle-max-xl-review-amp-free-trial-2205092.html

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

The more I'm looking him up the more I'm liking him.

Here's a quote from CBSSports, "McCourty is regarded as one of the top five cornerbacks in the draft. Some teams may have McCourty ranked on par with-or even slightly ahead of-Florida's Joe Haden."

He's also going to be great on special teams. The Pats weren't great on special teams and McCourty is going to be a good pickup in that aspect of the game, nevermind his good CB play. Apparently QBs rarely threw his way.

He was projected to be taken in the late first to early second range as well. It's not like the Pats got someone who was expected to be a 7th rounder in the 1st. Our DBs are looking very strong now and I'm sure the Pats will address the pass rush in the 2nd. I like this pick and we got a few extra picks as well.

Here's Bills input on him. Apparently he was ready to pick McCourty at 22, but traded down for the 3rd and still got him. http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4677736/belichick-likes-four-down-player

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty:
    I give up... Why watch a Patriots draft since Pioli left. Belichick cannot draft
    Posted by Brady2Moss07

Troll

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty : Troll
    Posted by 4Adam13

It seems like the board has been filled with them recently, huh? I haven't seen Leon in a while...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

I am with you magicalhobo, the more I think the less I dislike it.
    After a first and initial (guts) negative reaction I was turning the whole think into my head (under the shower, on the way to work) and found some positives:

- It seems like BB wanted that guy even at 22 so actually by sliding twice he got the guy he was hoping for, created a 3rd round pick out of thin air and moved up in the 4th round! Whaoo, that guy is a genial draft alchemist and manipulator. I would not like to play poker against him. ;-)

- It looks like there was a rush at the CBs at the end of the round: the Jets also drafted a CB as well as the Saints. I have the feeling that BB started that late CB race and somehow forced the hand of the Jets (do you think the Jets were needing a CB?).

- Finally, McCourty was among the top 5 ranked CBs so it is not like NE spent a high draft pick on a complete nobody. In the end it will be interesting to see who got the better CB between the Pats (McCourty) and the Jets (Wilson)

In Bill I start to believe.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hayley-1999. Show hayley-1999's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty : Go to NFL.com look up stats for 2009 season Romo vs Brady look VERY carefully I think you'll be surprised !
    Posted by beantowncwbyfan

Romo has won exactly one playoff game in his career, Tom Brady has Won 15! Enough said!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from magicalhobo. Show magicalhobo's posts

I am with you magicalhobo, the more I think the less I dislike it. After a first and initial (guts) negative reaction I was turning the whole think into my head (under the shower, on the way to work) and found some positives: - It seems like BB wanted that guy even at 22 so actually by sliding twice he got the guy he was hoping for, created a 3rd round pick out of thin air and moved up in the 4th round! Whaoo, that guy is a genial draft alchemist and manipulator. I would not like to play poker against him. ;-) - It looks like there was a rush at the CBs at the end of the round: the Jets also drafted a CB as well as the Saints. I have the feeling that BB started that late CB race and somehow forced the hand of the Jets (do you think the Jets were needing a CB?). - Finally, McCourty was among the top 5 ranked CBs so it is not like NE spent a high draft pick on a complete nobody. In the end it will be interesting to see who got the better CB between the Pats (McCourty) and the Jets (Wilson) In Bill I start to believe.
    Posted by FrogLegs

There is a complete dropoff at the CB position after the CBs picked late in the first round. The pats snagged one of the good CBs, got the 3rd (like you mentioned), and still have plenty of picks to choose from positions they still need to address. CB was very shallow and the Pats snagged up a good one.

Here's Reiss' and Herm Edwards' input on the pick: http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/columns/story?columnist=reiss_mike&id=5128424

My advice to everyone questioning this pick is to do some research on him. He will help the team immediately be it special teams, the secondary, or both.

You could be right on the Pats forcing the Jets to grab their CB. I don't think they particularly needed one, but in a league where passing is becoming the norm it can never hurt. You never know if Cromartie is going to fit well in their scheme either. It was probably a smart pick for them. We'll see what works out in a couple years...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hayley-1999. Show hayley-1999's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty : Thanks....you made my point. These are same people who whine and complain about everything. Pats have 5 picks in the next 60. Keep the faith brothers!
    Posted by Sveltics

Good point,. What alot of our fans don't realize is that Coach Belichick actually teaches these kids at the Pro level ,something very few coaches do apparently. So yes it takes them a little longer to break out at the pro level but if you read what most of these kids said in predraft interviews. They were all dieing to play for Bill Belichick because they know that they would be totally prepaired when they stepped out on that field, that he would give their best chance to succeed!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxvsGiants. Show RedSoxvsGiants's posts

My advice to all the chicken littles is be thankful for Bellicheck.  His picks last year turned out better than expected especially with Vollmer and every one was crying about that.  Remember and be thankful the first round can be a waste of time and money just ask 49er fans about small hands Alex Smith out of Utah.  He was a #1 pick and he s u c k s and cost the 49ers a ton of wasted cash.  Then go across the Bay and see the same results with a #1 pick.  The Raiders picked Jemarcus Russel and he s u c k s too.  So all you knee jerk armchair head coaches need to chill the @%#@% out and realize the first round is always a roll of the dice and the dice havent even stopped spinning on Devin McCourty.  And besides maybe he will run a few kicks back for touchdowns.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Spider47. Show Spider47's posts

Once again the coaching genius proves that he is the draft moron. No wait we did improve....David Patten, Tully Banta Cain, Tory Holt. Yea, he is a genius. Bill thinks it's so coool to draft down while allowing other teams to draft impact players. The Pats will be lucky to finished 3rd in their division. Great job drafting a special teams player in the first round. Bill B---you are an IDIOT!!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

Once again the coaching genius proves that he is the draft moron. No wait we did improve....David Patten, Tully Banta Cain, Tory Holt. Yea, he is a genius. Bill thinks it's so coool to draft down while allowing other teams to draft impact players. The Pats will be lucky to finished 3rd in their division. Great job drafting a special teams player in the first round. Bill B---you are an IDIOT!!!!
    Posted by Spider47

Come on spider Leon ... we all know deep down your still angry BB isn't the Jets coach

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from aussiewill. Show aussiewill's posts

Call me old fashion, but I thought pass defence started with pressuring the QB. All due respect, but McCourty is a terrible pick. Dez Bryant was a steal and BB passed. Moss is in his last year, Holt is yesterdays man, Welker is rehabing. Edelman is unproven, Patten is history, Tate has never played a down. They make the Cowboys dream come true, for what, trading up 18 spots in the third round? Tommorrow he can trade all the second round picks for 25 seventh rounders. Maybe BB has alzheimers.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

Call me old fashion, but I thought pass defence started with pressuring the QB. All due respect, but McCourty is a terrible pick. Dez Bryant was a steal and BB passed. Moss is in his last year, Holt is yesterdays man, Welker is rehabing. Edelman is unproven, Patten is history, Tate has never played a down. They make the Cowboys dream come true, for what, trading up 18 spots in the third round? Tommorrow he can trade all the second round picks for 25 seventh rounders. Maybe BB has alzheimers.
    Posted by aussiewill

Go screw your kangaroo  Aussie Will .... You sound like Albert or Borges with all this we could or we should shite.
    Beleive in BB he's the man

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

I found this on McCourty: "In his last 39 games, the opposition managed to complete just 35.20 percent of the passes thrown into his area (88-of-250) for 684 yards and just two scores, as they averaged 7.77 yards per pass completion and 2.75 yards per pass attempt … During that span, McCourty defended 33 passes (six thefts, 27 deflections).."

Above from another thread, McCourty is a good pick and a CB a few of us thought would be the way they went with their 1st pick. 
    Last season the Patriots played in nickel close to 50% of the time, they needed a 3rd CB after the top 5 CBs there's a drop in tallent which is not the case for OLBs / DTs and it is a deep class in WRs.
    McCourty helps as nickel CB this year and develops into a starter, will be a kick returner, punt returner, kickoffs and punt coverage.  Solid CB physical and good against the run which Butler is not good at.
    Clean kid no character issues, this is a solid pick even though it is not a popular one.  Trolls are having a field day critisising the pick and some of "real fans" are going right along with them.  It is one pick out of 13.
    Kindle, Sapp, Misi, Te'O, Griffen, Dunlap and more are still available.
    WRs without issues are available, Eric Decker, Tate, Lafell and who I think they go after Taylor Price 6'1" 204.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeaceLaur. Show PeaceLaur's posts

Luckily, the Pats are armed with more than their first round pick. They will pick four times tomorrow and if they don't address the pass rush then, I completely understand if people are upset. As things stand, though, they have used one pick out of thirteen.

As for Dez, I was intrigued by him too, but if he wasn't really what they were looking for in a WR prospect I don't think they needed to force it. I think when it came down to it he didn't have the intelligence for the Pats system. There will be some pretty good options at WR in the second, including Golden Tate, Arrelious Benn, and Eric Decker. Next year, there will an elite group of WRs and they may be able to snag one of A.J. Green, Michael Floyd, or Julio Jones if they so choose. Not too shabby.

And honestly, I like the McCourty pick. Take the top player left on their board when there's a run on CBs and wait until the second (which is deep in DTs/DEs and LBs) to address pass rush.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bonitated. Show bonitated's posts

children pleasae quiet down coach hoodie has now developed a new fixation and love for cornerbacks  running around fast in shorts, Not as bad as Al Davis's but close.  Passing on Bryant,Sergio etc, well maybe BB is telling us that his last few drafts were real bad and our secondary picks really su cked

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZakMaine. Show ZakMaine's posts

Are you joking?
       First of all, I didnt have a problem dropping down. The teams we let go ahead of us had different needs and at least 1 of who I thought we were targeting would still be there.

Personally, my wish list went like this:

1st choice: Sean Weatherspoon
    2nd choice: Brandon Graham
    3rd choice: Jerry Hughes
    4th choice: Sergio Kindle
    5th choice: Jared Odrick

no where do you see me interested in a CB with bad football skills that will never make it off Special Teams.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

children pleasae quiet down coach hoodie has now developed a new fixation and love for cornerbacks  running around fast in shorts, Not as bad as Al Davis's but close.  Passing on Bryant,Sergio etc, well maybe BB is telling us that his last few drafts were real bad and our secondary picks really su cked
    Posted by bonitated

Another troll is created.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Drafting a top flight corner is not a bad idea. I don't know what people remember but not having a decent secondary cost us about 3 superbowls, (giants colts, broncos)

I am all for this kid, we need to cover the WR's so the don't burn us deep.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

I like this statement that somebody else posted

>McCourty is a 5'11 194lb Cornerback.
    >McCourty plays for the Big East's toughest #1 cold-weather Defense.
    >McCourty has played in ALL 4 years, and as a Starting CB for 3 years.
    >McCourty notched 80 Tackles, 7.5 TFLs, and 10 PBU as a Senior.
    >McCoury's 80 TT's was 1 away from the team-lead at ALL defensive positions.
    >McCourty plays on Special Teams.
    >McCourty averaged 25.4 yards on limited kickoff returns.
    >McCourty averaged an insane almost 20 yards on limited punt returns.
    >McCourty has blocked 7 career kick on the defensive Special Team's side.
    >McCourty won SEVERAL seperate academic honors last season alone.
    >McCourty is a team multi-year leader.
    >McCourty by all and any accounts, LOVES to play the game of Football...Loves it.
    >McCourty dominated the wideouts he covered @ The Senior Bowl (practice & game).
    >McCourty (according to NFL.com-Combine) was the top CB performer @ The Combine in the 40-yard dash, Broad Jump, 3-Cone Drill, & The 20 Yard-Shuttle.
    >McCourty can play man-press coverage, off-man coverage and zone defense.
    >McCourty in press-man plays tenacious and physical with the WRs while jamming them @ the LOS and is fast enough to recover

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickym53. Show rickym53's posts

Someone please explain to me whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.........

Now i know why i am not into the Patriots much anymore, this is a typical POS pick by the supreme one B.B. We need a 3rd round pick so lets drop twice and then fall in the toilet.................................. Unreal

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

Someone please explain to me whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy......... Now i know why i am not into the Patriots much anymore, this is a typical POS pick by the supreme one B.B. We need a 3rd round pick so lets drop twice and then fall in the toilet.................................. Unreal
    Posted by rickym53

Because your fair weather fan my boy

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Pats might have the best secondary in the league not. That makes me happy. Now is time to beef up on the DL and OL. I am happy with our WR's

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodsport. Show goodsport's posts

In Response to Devin McCourty:
    A CB?
    Posted by PatsEng

The Pats could have 6 All Pro CB's back there and it would still not be enough when the QB is given all day to throw the ball.  One or two solid pass rushers solve the CB problem immediately!