Devin McCourty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChetStedmen. Show ChetStedmen's posts

Re: Devin McCourty

This guy just got picked in the 1st round and the best receiver he covered all year was Mardy Gilyard, a dude who won't be drafted, and Gilyard put up 8/89/1 against him.  Unfortunately, I can't find his special team stats, but I'm sure they justify the pick...........

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom77777. Show Tom77777's posts

In Response to Re: Devin McCourty:
    f*ck bill belichick! he is an ignorant POS!
    Posted by Spetznaz24

3 SBS,you already forgot?dont ever doubt BB.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChetStedmen. Show ChetStedmen's posts

he will get about 4-6 picks this year and 2 pick 6s, maybe a PR for a touchdown
    Posted by TateGroup

Are you related to this guy or something? The guy had 6 picks in 4 years at the collegiate level and he's going to be a 3rd stringer.  Idiot

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from awall422. Show awall422's posts

I don't know why you guys are all worried about LBs, I mean we can always call Junior again, right?

Seriously though, if this was a second round pick I'd not be nearly as disappointed as I am.  Like a few others have said, the best secondary in the league can't hold up if the QB has all day.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffectredux. Show mosseffectredux's posts

I love how some defend this pick,even when they know its the wrong one,or at least picked to soon.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3249536. Show user_3249536's posts

I don't care if BB drafted the reincarnation of Ryan Leaf (the worst draft bust ever), I still would despise the Jets. The fans are trying to sue the PATS for "spy gate" for goodness sakes.

I am not thrilled by the pick because I thought the Pats would get a quality rusher in the first round, but with wes welker possible missing the first half of the season the pats were left without there primary kickoff returner and that need along with adding depth to a solid secondary is addressed. This player is a physical guy (80 stops his senior year). Lastly, the pats superbowl wins were with a team who was filled with "no namers".

I pleading the Pats Fans' Motto on this one: "In BB we trust"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffectredux. Show mosseffectredux's posts

im for future players,but im more concerned about the season comeing up.to many holes needing to be filled in for this season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

I would like to thank the Pats for trading us the best receiver in the draft & helping to move past the Roy Williams fiasco. Which would you rather have, Romo, Felix Jones, Marion Barber III, Witten, Myles Austin & Dez Bryant or Brady, Moss ( in last year ), Sam Aikin, Torry Holt, TE = ?, Moroney & Faulk ?
    Posted by beantowncwbyfan

Anyday of the week, and twice on draft day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from insinc. Show insinc's posts

I have been criticizing the Patriots' drafts for the past five years. They have traded places with the Oakland Raiders, and seen determined to throw away whatever advantage might have come from selecting a great player in the first round. When they are not trading out of the first round, they pick players few other teams want and who do not meet a current need. Someone please explain to me why they do this, and why they seem to care so little for fan opinion.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

Devin McCourty is the biggest sleeper in the 1st round. Question is, will he wake up? 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hutch04901. Show hutch04901's posts

I'm a die-hard Pats fan.  I'm not sure of why all the negativity after 1 pick.  Everyone wanted Kindle and he's still on the board.  He was passed over 32 times.  The Pats had 12 picks last year and they are all still on the roster + 4 free agent signings (including backup quaterback) are still on the roster.  I haven't given up on Ron Brace and he is just 1 of 12.  Today is the real Pats draft day with 3 2nd rounders and a newly acquired 3rd.  And next year we have the mighty Oakland Raiders 1st pick.  Sweet!  Here's hoping BB finds the Sebastin Volmer equivalent for the DL or LB (or both).

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

Devin McCourty is the biggest sleeper in the 1st round. Question is, will he wake up? 
    Posted by jbolted

Laughing

A guy ranked among the top 5 CB a sleeper?
    You must be joking, right?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

I give up... Why watch a Patriots draft since Pioli left. Belichick cannot draft
    Posted by Brady2Moss07

I agree 100%. he might be a HOF coach but he just can't draft. Why not Hughes, Bulaga, Odrick, Bryant to name a few. they are sinking in performance because of BAD drafting

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

mb, to me, picking mcourty per se is not the issue. i have not doubt that mcourty would be a good addition. the issue is picking him where you could have addressed bigger needs that are harder to fill. mcourty would have been available in the second round. if bb really wanted him after picking up someone else at 22 or 24 or 27, and was concerned mcourty would not have been there at 44, he could have traded back up in the second. i guess he could still trade up to target a pass rusher or ol or dl in the second if he wanted to.
    Posted by seattlepat70

I highly doubt that. I have a feeling that the jets would have picked McCourty, had we passed on him.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from paamf. Show paamf's posts

How much money has Kraft actually lost on Patriot Place? That has to be the reason for the Pat's slide to mediocrity or maybe he believes the fairytale that all the team needs is Bill any player will be a champ as long as follow his master plan.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BXBoston. Show BXBoston's posts

Great didnt know special teamers could go first round. Did Devin Hester go 1st rd?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LouieNoMind. Show LouieNoMind's posts

The pats need play makers not swiss army knives. How is drafting a special teams player in the first round and paying him first round money "good value".  Now they have one less pick and less quality to select from to address their real needs. This draft stinks already.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikejt. Show mikejt's posts

Just read on MSNBC PFT that alot of teams passed on Kindle because they were concerned about his knee.  I like the pick of McCourty. BB knows defense guys. Also this guy should be the shutdown corner that we need. Have faith in BB!!! 3 Super Bowl trophy's to his record as Head Coach.  I

n Response to Re: Devin McCourty:
    I've been arguing we need a CB . . . but I thought we'd take Kindle with this pick.
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gumby5. Show gumby5's posts

It is not so much that I hate the player, this guy is more of a special teams player than a CB and he will be getting 1st round money. They needed a OLB/DE that can rush the QB and will give the existing CB's a chance to cover the receivers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

Folks, just because you have followed Mock Drafts for the past 2+ months doesn't make you a knowledgeable GM. Have you ever wondered why guys like Kiper and McShay work for ESPN? It’s because they are not professional talent evaluators. They would be working for an NFL team if they were.   I’m sorry but I simply trust BB more than some of these ESPN “experts”. These are the same experts panning draft selections of players such as Sebastian Vollmer and Logan Mankins. Did you hear Kiper talk about Vollmer being a 7 th RD talent just last year? Now he’s our LT of the future. Just saying….
    Posted by GrantW

Did you notice how Gruden was trying not to crack up every time Kiper opened his mouth. LOL

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from tampabostonfan. Show tampabostonfan's posts

OK, let's look at this logically, for all you arm-chair Mel Kipers out there.

First, a big knock on McCourty is that he had 1 pick last year and 5 in his career.  It makes sense to me that if McCourty is worhty of a first round pick (which clearly the Pats thought, and Scouts Inc. agreed with) then he was likely the best defensive player on Rutgers.  If you are an OC in the Big East would you go anywhere near the best player on a team when there were likely many opportunities for success elsewhere?  I have heard comments backing this up that he wasn't thrown at all that much.  It is often the case in the NFL where the guy considered the best CB doesn't have the most picks simply because of lack of oppurtunity.

Combine that with excellent special teams play and here is a kid that can make an impact various ways.  Also, with the league being more pass-happy, defenses are in the nickel a lot more often.  Do you really trust Whilite or Wheatley to be that 3rd CB?  I don't. 

On to the pass rush.  Everyone was screaming for Kindle.  Oops, reports are now he may need micro-fracture surgery on his knee.  No thanks. 

It's almost like the people in charge of the draft in Foxboro did some research, unlike the people on this board just regurgitating what Mel Kiper and Todd McShay are telling them. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Consider that te Pats identified their man (McCourtney), then made the trade for Holt.  This way they added some WR help, as they passed on the draft choice (Dez) that might  have brought some along.  The Pats now filled two needs; spent one pick.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jayydubb. Show jayydubb's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Devin McCourty : How do you know what the availibility of McCourty was?  I don't buy the "we could have filled bigger needs" argument.  Bigger needs according to who?  The fan base? Clearly BB felt McCourty was a better player/value than any of the pass rushers available between 22 and 27.  His track record of drafting quality players in rd 1 speaks for itself.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE

Yes, according to the fans. The last time the patriots took the field the ravens ran wild on the pats (literally). they passed for less than 50 yards and still blew the pats out. Your trying to tell me that the patriots went away from that game thinking, "damn we really need a cb?" when Chad Henne gets 7 and 8 seconds to throw it doesn't take a front office executive to say "hey the pats needs a pass rush"