Did the Patriots get 5 first rounders out of the 2010 draft?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carbonflow. Show carbonflow's posts

Did the Patriots get 5 first rounders out of the 2010 draft?

I asked some friends today here in Seattle and am curious to hear the fans thoughts on the following.

Based off of the play of the entire 2010 NFL draft class through week 13,

with a hypothetical redo of the draft,

would Gronk, Hernandez, Spikes and Cunningham all have been selected in the first round?

I think so.  With McCourty (as possible defensive rookie of year) this makes 5 first rounders in 2010!!!!!!

2010 will go down as one of the best drafts ever for any NFL team!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Re: Did the Patriots get 5 first rounders out of the 2010 draft?

Cunningham is going to be really special. This guy comes on and it may take some of the OLB pressure off the draft next year. Be nice to target D or O linemen with our premium picks.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I agree that those picks were special but in reality the reason the Patriots do so well in the draft is all the homework they do allows them to get guys like Cunningham and others who will play their style or system later in the draft and they trusted their BG checks and take a guy like Hernandez who others shyed away from.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Did the Patriots get 5 first rounders out of the 2010 draft?:
    [QUOTE]I asked some friends today here in Seattle and am curious to hear the fans thoughts on the following. Based off of the play of the entire 2010 NFL draft class through week 13, with a hypothetical redo of the draft, would Gronk, Hernandez, Spikes and Cunningham all have been selected in the first round? I think so.  With McCourty (as possible defensive rookie of year) this makes 5 first rounders in 2010!!!!!! 2010 will go down as one of the best drafts ever for any NFL team!!!
    Posted by carbonflow[/QUOTE]
    I had McCourty rated late first round pre draft.  He was an exceptional special teams player as a return man and in coverage and blocking kicks.  He was considered a very good cover corner who was fluid and had elite recovery quickness.  I thought Wilson was slightly better but I didn't like Wilson's self promotion ways and I felt pre draft that McCourty would be an excellent pick for the Pats.  He certainly has vastly exceeded all expectations and he is playing more like a top 10 pick and All Pro.

I felt pre 2010 draft that Gronkowski was a first round talent.  I felt he would drop due to missing his entire junior year and for concerns about his health.  Based on his sophomore year, he was no doubt a first round talent.  Draft expert Mike Mayock said when the pick was turned in, "I feel like the Pats just stole a first round talent in the 2nd round."

Hernandez was considered pre draft to be a 2nd round talent.  Some had him at the bottom of the first.  He was known as a fast elite receiver but lacked the blocking skills needed from the TE position to be considered a first round talent.  He slipped to the fourth round due to concerns about his past with pot.

Cunningham was actually viewed as a 3rd round talent pre draft by most simply because he played DE in college and lacked elite speed and pass rushing ability.  I'm not sure he is playing as a first round talent yet since he doesn't have the sack numbers you want from a 34 OLB but he is getting better each week.  

Spikes on tape was a first round talent all the way.  His football instincts were superb.  The concern was his straight line speed.  When he ran a 5.0+ 40 at the Combine and then again at his Pro Day he dropped like a rock.  Some suggested he lacked enough speed to be an NFL middle LB.  Some suggested he might not get drafted until the late rounds if at all.  He is living up to his billing.

Nice post, good topic.  These kids are doing great and they will only get better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re-draft probably puts McCourty 8-12, Gronk 12-18, Hernandez (H-back needs a great QB) and Cunningham (has to go to a 3-4) in the 20's and Spikes still slipping to early 2nd b/c of 3rd down backer/speed concerns that he hasn't quite killed this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

In Response to Re: Did the Patriots get 5 first rounders out of the 2010 draft?:
    [QUOTE]I assure you Cunningham and Hernandez would NOT be 1st rounders if the draft was a re-do. Although both have played well and they are good fits in our system, doesn't mean other teams value them as highly. Cunningham has been totally outplayed by another 2nd rounder, Carlos Dunlap. Remember him? BB Passed on him for Cunningham and Dunlap is tearing it up for the Bengals. Also Cunningham will need to finish his plays more, and get a sack or two. Having said all that, and adding in Mesko and Deaderick, I still believe this draft has the potential to be one of the top 3 all time greates New England drafts. 
    Posted by Quagmire3[/QUOTE]

Well considering that they don't play the same positron, Dunlap a DE and Cunningham plays OLB your post is totally irrelevant.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Cunningham was pressuring Manning when he threw the pick sat the end of the game. It should have been at least holding if not a sack. He was all over Snachez in the Jests game. I think he's played pretty well. Finally we're seeing some kind of a pass rush. The pass rush as of late has made our corners look a lot better.