Do the Patriots need a FB.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotsbb12b81m83w. Show patriotsbb12b81m83w's posts

Do the Patriots need a FB.

In 2007 the Patriots had Heath Evans and good FB who also helped with blocking and protecting Brady. Since he has left Brady has not had any good protection. Patriots played last season without a FB. So if we add a FB like Hoover or any good block FB and add blocking TE's Crumpler and Fells, does Brady stay clean and get extra time to find recievers???

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

Re: Do the Patriots need a FB.

no.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Seems like a dying position, unless you are a run first team.  they had an H-back type TE in Thomas, and traded him.

The Pat's O seems about a single back with WRs...hopefully they get a big, bruising back in the draft.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'd love to see them get another tough, versatile type FB in there as BB has had some success with them during his time in NE with Marc Edwards, Heath Evans and to a lesser extent, Patrick Pass.

John Conner- 5-11 246- FB from Kentucky would be a great option in the late rounds.  He's a tough, blue collar, "throwback" type kid that can catch the ball out of the back field (4 career TD receptions), punish LB's as a lead blocker with some abilities to stay in-line and should be a valuable special teams guy.

Or maybe go back to Kent State and look at a versatile, athletic kid with good size (6-3 227) like Jameson Konz who is another late round prospect. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotsbb12b81m83w. Show patriotsbb12b81m83w's posts

Kyle Eckel is a free agent, as is Brad Hoover and Le'Ron McClain just in case we don't draft one

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Iis an n Response to Re: Do the Patriots need a FB.:
    Kyle Eckel is a free agent, as is Brad Hoover and Le'Ron McClain just in case we don't draft one
    Posted by patriotsbb12b81m83w

McClain is a RFA and received a 1st round tender; you can cross him off the list.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

I certainly think the Pats need a FB in goal line situations.   The Pats should look to draft a Mclain type player in the draft.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

BB eliminated the position by using a lineman lining up at FB to block.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcaron2. Show dcaron2's posts

of course they need a fullback, they sorely missed having one last year. i know he's not a fullback but the kid from stanford woudn't be a bad 2nd or 3rd round pickup

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

They won't bring in both Crumpler and Fells it will be Crumpler unless he takes less to go to a warmer locale, and I agree they are not going to bring a FB in it is a position that just doesn't compute in the modern NFL unless it is a Keith Byers FB/TE/HB hybrid... those guys are pretty rare though.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcaron2. Show dcaron2's posts

In Response to Re: Do the Patriots need a FB.:
    They won't bring in both Crumpler and Fells it will be Crumpler unless he takes less to go to a warmer locale, and I agree they are not going to bring a FB in it is a position that just doesn't compute in the modern NFL unless it is a Keith Byers FB/TE/HB hybrid... those guys are pretty rare though.
    Posted by DaBlade

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

MVP is right. FB is not dead. A guy who can block, run for short yardage, and catch a pass is very valuable, even from throwing packages. 

The Pats have a FB. His name is Eric Kettani. He will be here in 2011. 

He was very, very highly regarded when he came out. Ran a 4.5 at 230 and had soft hands out of Navy. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dcaron2. Show dcaron2's posts

In Response to Re: Do the Patriots need a FB.:
    In Response to Re: Do the Patriots need a FB. :
    Posted by dcaron2

super bowl champs used a fullback

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from deman3392. Show deman3392's posts

Maybe: 
    kyle eckel
    justin griffith
    brad hoover
    jeremi johnson

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Do the Patriots need a FB.:
    In 2007 the Patriots had Heath Evans and good FB who also helped with blocking and protecting Brady. Since he has left Brady has not had any good protection. Patriots played last season without a FB. So if we add a FB like Hoover or any good block FB and add blocking TE's Crumpler and Fells, does Brady stay clean and get extra time to find recievers???
    Posted by patriotsbb12b81m83w

Yes, just not as bad as we need DEs/OLBs, C, RT, RG....

If we had a true FB who could block....mebbe it would free up a good receiving TE on offense....

Thing is, I don't think BB has any plans on offense for TE....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

zbellino... Eric Kettani is still doing his stint with the Navy and he has a 5 year commitment that could be split 2 years active and 3 years reserve but that isn't guaranteed I do not believe. I kind of remember them getting him as an undrafted FA.

Also as good as he may have been can't guarantee he will be ready for NFL football ever.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yeah, he *could* be out as early as 2011. 

I think he was 235 lbs when he left, but the intriguing part was that he was a very polished FB, with good hands, good blocking ability, and very respectable straight line speed.