Do The Patriots Need to Change Their Offensive and/or Defensive Scheme?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Do The Patriots Need to Change Their Offensive and/or Defensive Scheme?

The following is a brief description of the Patriots'
    Defensive Scheme:
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/178753-the-new-england-patriots-retool-not-reinvent-the-3-4-scheme
    and Offensive Scheme (from Urban Meyer??):
    http://www.footballtimes.org/Article.asp?ID=217

How accurate do you think these descriptions are as it relates to the Patriots' schemes?
    Do our schemes need to be changed, enhanced, scrapped - or is it a matter of finding the right personnel to make the scheme(s) work?

Thoughts are encouraged (good, bad, or indifferent).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

Re: Do The Patriots Need to Change Their Offensive and/or Defensive Scheme?

I would like to see the Pats go back to what worked in the early 2000's....power running with Antoine Smith/Corey Dillon and dink and dunk pass game. In order to do that the Pats need a productive TE and better oline play. I would also like to see a more aggressive style of defense...more attack less read/gap style. The league is all about getting to the QB..hence the need for a pass rusher, but also need to upgrade the oline.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Keep seeing change to a 43, if the 34 D was not sucessful you would not have teams moving to it every year.  It has been players missing from key roles in that d than the scheme itself.  the scheme is a good one.

Offense, again lack of players when the other team's #4 CB is better than your # receiver the D is in advantage.  You want it the other way around.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

That first link is a year old.  Their defensive strategy is fine.  They need to run the ball more on offense.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolltide1963. Show rolltide1963's posts

Defensive scheme is not the issue.   They need playmakers and leaders on that side of the Ball.  Mayo shows promise.  Now with his paycheck in hand, Wilfork needs to become a motivator and leader.  However, no one at this time has lead to bring it like the soldiers of the Superbowl days, like: Teddy, Rodney, Ty & Richard Seymour.

On the Offense.  Run with authority.   a breakaway threat would be nice, but not manditory.  However. a reliable contributor in the mold of Corey Dillion would be a huge boost.  Maroney, has not filled those shoes, at all.  Hardesty from Tennessee could be a solid pick.  On 2nd thought, the future is now.  Maybe bundle this years #22 and the Patriots (keep the #1 from Oakland) 1st rounder in 2011 to move up to 12 slot and get C J Spiller.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

It really comes down to personnel. 

At the beginning of last year I really didn't know what to expect from the defense because of the huge change in the lineup.  Pryor was thrown out there after the Seymour trade which I think caught the Pats of guard meaning that they didn't plan a replacement for Seymour.  The pass rush wasn't there again.  This needs to be fixed.  Warren is a good player who can't stay healthy.  So the draft needs to produce a DE and OLB that can rush.

The offense is where I have the most questions but had some good news as well.  We found out that Vollmer is the real deal.  Edleman is a late find.  When Morris and Taylor were down and with the 3rd WR mess the Pats became very one dimensional.  The OL is a big question mark.  So with Light, Mankins, Koppen, Neal and Vollmer who's the weak link?  Neal gets hurt a lot but I find Connolly a worthy replacement. Koppen has lost some in my opinion.  Someone had stated in another post that we are seeing more 3-4 defenses and Koppen can not handle these big NTs.  That's a good assessment but I always thought he looked lost at times with blocking assignments against a 4-3.  My cross hairs are on Koppen and of course Light's replacement after this year.  RBs are old, 'nuff said.  We need a TE and WR.  No need to go over the WR debacle of last year that killed us.  IMHO the draft needs to produce a C, TE, RB, WR for the offense and if you can find an ROT that would be nice.

The Pats have 12 picks and in a deep draft this is very doable.  One might want to be a little redundant in the later rounds just to make sure you have a keeper for the spot you're wanting to fill.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

What is it with all you guys who are infatuated with trading up for a running back??  If you look at how the NFL has progressed the past 10 yrs, you do not need an elite running back to win.  Go back and look at all the SB winners.  Build your O Line first and have 2 or 3 good backs and you're fine.  Put Maroney behind the Jets line and he probably runs for 1500 yds. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

A scheme is only as good as the players.  Upgrade the players and the scheme will be fine.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Do The Patriots Need to Change Their Offensive and/or Defensive Scheme?:
    A scheme is only as good as the players.  Upgrade the players and the scheme will be fine.
    Posted by Tcal2

Offensively, don't you think the Patriots have gotten away from what made the successful "back in the day"? There used to be a time when we had a decent running game and used TEs in our offense. We had no Randy Moss to lengthen the field.

Now, we have an offense that have had to rely on the pass via a spread offense that doesn't involve a TE. The offensive change resulted in an undefeated regular season - but fell short of a SB.

Defensively, it doesn't appear that the scheme has changed much - but with less success. We've had problems on red zone defense - which we used to excel at.

So, it still begs the question.  If other teams have adapted to the Patriots - don't we have to change things to keep opponents off balance on either side of the ball?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

Not offensive - I think continuity has been one of the biggest reasons for Brady's success.  Brady's played under the same system for his entire career.

I think it might be time for defensive change, though.  I don't think the kids are as bright as the vets were and I think they need to cater to "athletic-but-inexperienced" more than they currently are.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

change is good, its call adapting. the Pats use to be good at adapting to different situations. now that BB has control of the defense i think we'll see some schemes that harken back to the SB years

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

In Response to Re: Do The Patriots Need to Change Their Offensive and/or Defensive Scheme?:
    In Response to Re: Do The Patriots Need to Change Their Offensive and/or Defensive Scheme? : Offensively, don't you think the Patriots have gotten away from what made the successful "back in the day"? There used to be a time when we had a decent running game and used TEs in our offense. We had no Randy Moss to lengthen the field. Now, we have an offense that have had to rely on the pass via a spread offense that doesn't involve a TE. The offensive change resulted in an undefeated regular season - but fell short of a SB. Defensively, it doesn't appear that the scheme has changed much - but with less success. We've had problems on red zone defense - which we used to excel at. So, it still begs the question.  If other teams have adapted to the Patriots - don't we have to change things to keep opponents off balance on either side of the ball?
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

I don't see offense as the problem.  If we had a defense that could make a stop we would of been Super Bowl Champs in 06 and 07.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Re: Do The Patriots Need to Change Their Offensive and/or Defensive Scheme? : I don't see offense as the problem.  If we had a defense that could make a stop we would of been Super Bowl Champs in 06 and 07.
    Posted by Tcal2

It seems that our D has been off since 2007? Our phenomenal O kept the D off the field most of the year. So, if our D is the problem - what is the fix?

Another factor is coaching...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

Say what you will about the patriots aquisition/drafting and of players and BB role in that...  I have been one of those at times questioning that...

BB is on of the great coaches (I am ignoring that one 4th down call in the Colt's territory last year).  The players/talent the team has primarily, and secondarly what the other team's look  I would  think determines the Scheme

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Remember all the posts at the start of the 2009 season saying that our D needed to hold opposing offenses to under 300 points for the season because every other time we've done that we've made it at least as far as the AFC Championship?  Well our D was well under 300 points last season.  We should be grateful to have a D this good. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Remember all the posts at the start of the 2009 season saying that our D needed to hold opposing offenses to under 300 points for the season because every other time we've done that we've made it at least as far as the AFC Championship?  Well our D was well under 300 points last season.  We should be grateful to have a D this good. 
    Posted by themightypatriotz

Pts. allowed is one measurement of the D.  How did our red zone D do? Not very well. But it has to be place in the proper perspective (vs. other teams).

2009 #5 285 pts total or 17.8 pts/game, +6 for takeaway/giveaway or #4
    2008 #4 309 pts total or 19.3 pts/game, +1 for takeaway/giveaway or #9
    2007 #4 274 pts total or 17.1 pts/game, +16 for takeaway/giveaway or #3
    2004 #2 260 pts total or 16.3 pts/game, +9 for takeaway/giveaway or #7
    2003 #1 238 pts total or 14.9 pts/game, +17 for takeaway/giveaway or #2

So, I think it could be argued that our D isn't quite as good as it used to be. In addition, big plays (turnovers) is evident in 2003 and 2007.  We had a pretty good D in 2003. In 2007, our offensive prowess forced teams into doing things that they didn't want to do - and we had a pretty good takeaway/giveaway ratio.

The lack of a pass rush since 2007, and the (in)ability to protect Brady since about mid 2007 has been a problem.

Scheme? Players? Both? Neither?...dunno

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Our D isn't as good but it's still pretty good considering all the players we've lost since 2007 ... our entire linebacking corps (except poutin Thomas), almost our entire secondary (except for Sanders and Maryweather), and Richard Seymour.  To be under or close to 300 points all decade long with so many different players suggests that the scheme is pretty darn good.  Hopefully the newbies will step up and we'll get back to 2003 good. 

Agree that #1 goal is protecting Brady - need O-line, tight ends and running backs who can pass block.