Do we want Ray Edwards?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joakimbrian. Show Joakimbrian's posts

Do we want Ray Edwards?

Do we?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Re: Do we want Ray Edwards?

Not for a first round pick....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

In Response to Re: Do we want Ray Edwards?:
    Not for a first round pick....
    Posted by m1021us

agreed.  but otherwise, absolutely 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vladtheimpaler1. Show Vladtheimpaler1's posts

do we have anyone better?this is not a hard question.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan038. Show Patsfan038's posts

One of our second (early) and a 5th? Hell ya! But not 1st.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

25 years old, 6'5, 265.  Had 12.5 sacks last season (regular and post season). 

If we drafted a pass rusher at #22, wouldn't we be HOPING he becomes Ray Edwards?  I'd trade #22 for him without blinking, with the one stipulation being that his contract talks don't get out of hand.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

I'd trade Thomas and a 3rd.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

I'd trade Thomas and a 3rd.
    Posted by Mungomunro

Of course!!! why not?? He just turned 25 so that's essentially a draft pick that's now NFL seasoned. For all you naysayers AGAIN, that don't want to part with a draft pick for anyone..what's the difference here? Are we going to draft someone better at slot 22? I could see if we were talking about someone older but this guy is young and on the rise. How is the risk any worse than using the pick, which is more of a gamble. This is a "known" versus an "unknown". No brainer decsion here...but of course the Pats won't part with the pick so lets not waste our breaths. They'll trade down out of 22 anyway!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

The thing we can't answer is would he fit the Pats.  If there are players out there that meet their needs, Brandon Marhsall and Edwards certainly fit that, they've almost certainly had internal discussions.

The Pats have traded up (ex Warren) or down (ex Mayo) depending on who's on the board and who the trade partners are.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

He is a DE in a 4-3.....do we know if he is worth a 1st rnd pick and what it would cost to retain him and will he fit in here?  The last time we overpaid for a DE to convert to OLB, he was a bust....remember A Thomas?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stompper. Show Stompper's posts

25 years old, 6'5, 265.  Had 12.5 sacks last season (regular and post season).  If we drafted a pass rusher at #22, wouldn't we be HOPING he becomes Ray Edwards?  I'd trade #22 for him without blinking, with the one stipulation being that his contract talks don't get out of hand.
    Posted by pyegian

I would agree with you on this one, this guy is an already proven pro and with that size would be very helpful where as with a draft you have no idea what they will do in the pros so I also would make this trade

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

In Response to Re: Do we want Ray Edwards? : I would agree with you on this one, this guy is an already proven pro and with that size would be very helpful where as with a draft you have no idea what they will do in the pros so I also would make this trade
    Posted by Stompper

When in the pros did he play in a 3-4 as an OLB?  Last time we did that, we got burnt.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFantasyBaron. Show TheFantasyBaron's posts

This guy benefits from playing with Jared Allen. He'll turn into Adalius Thomas as soon as he paired with TBC.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

How do the RFA work?  Are they still signable to offer sheets after the draft so the picks are next years picks?  Or do they need to be signed to offer sheets no later than 1 week before the draft?

I think I would pull the trigger on him, or at least try to trade down a few spots with someone to later in round 1 first...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

This guy benefits from playing with Jared Allen. He'll turn into Adalius Thomas as soon as he paired with TBC.
    Posted by TheFantasyBaron

He was a product of a great defensive line.....in fact, he as probably one of the worst players on that line....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

m1021us, you ask when did he play 3-4 OLB, and the answer is never.  However, I ask you, when did any of the guys in the draft do it?  Almost all of them are college DE who will be converted to OLB and that switch will be a projection.  

Unfortunately, that's the nature of the beast when you run a 3-4 defense.  At least Edwards has shown he can get to the quarterback in the NFL, which none of the draft picks have proven yet.  The contract may make it prohibitive, but he's less of a risk than any drafted player is.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

25 years old, 6'5, 265.  Had 12.5 sacks last season (regular and post season).  If we drafted a pass rusher at #22, wouldn't we be HOPING he becomes Ray Edwards?  I'd trade #22 for him without blinking, with the one stipulation being that his contract talks don't get out of hand.
    Posted by pyegian

I agree.  He's proven and still young, whereas Brandon Graham or whoever they draft could be a bust.  And the money won't be much different.  I suspect the Vikings would match any offer though, unless there's a posion pill of some sort, like the Vikings themselves did with Hutchinson.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tamayo2431. Show tamayo2431's posts

Posted by TheFantasyBaron

I totally agree with you.

This guy benefits huge in two ways:

He plays opposite the most dominant, pass rushing DE in the NFL nowadays in Jared Allen. He also benefits from the Williams wall (Pat and Kevin-who both happen to be probowlers) I think a 1st RD pick in THIS draft, along with a pretty decent sized contract that it would take to secure him, is too much to give up for this guy. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

My question is, how much of his production was him? Was he productive because he had the best DL in football?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Re: Do we want Ray Edwards? : ....I think a 1st RD pick in THIS draft, along with a pretty decent sized contract that it would take to secure him, is too much to give up for this guy. 
    Posted by tamayo2431

I think we tend to overvalue draft picks.  If you draft Graham (or Kindle or whoever) at 22, you're getting a guy that might be good, might be nothing.  And you're going to pay him a bunch of guaranteed money. 

If you have a productive player available as a free agent that is relatively young and healthy (not necessarily talking about Edwards here, but he fits the bill), and the money it will take in a contract is comparable, why not make that deal?  Why take a chance on the unknown?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

m1021us, you ask when did he play 3-4 OLB, and the answer is never.  However, I ask you, when did any of the guys in the draft do it?  Almost all of them are college DE who will be converted to OLB and that switch will be a projection.   Unfortunately, that's the nature of the beast when you run a 3-4 defense.  At least Edwards has shown he can get to the quarterback in the NFL, which none of the draft picks have proven yet.  The contract may make it prohibitive, but he's less of a risk than any drafted player is.
    Posted by pyegian

At least in College, they are not demanding the money that someone who had success in a particular system would demand.....So a college kid would make more sense to take a chance on, than converting a DE in a 4-3 who had some success to a 3-4 OLB.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

At first I thought not for our first but we'd be dammnn happy to draft somebody like this with our first pick so why not. I vote Yea

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hagen910. Show hagen910's posts

In Response to Do we want Ray Edwards?:
    Do we?
    Posted by Joakimbrian

tough call.  Is he another A.D who benefited from his surrounding cast in baltimore or is he the real deal.  When you have the d-line the vikings have I suspect he doesn't garner the other teams attention like A.D in Baltimore.  So NO for a 1st rounder maybe a late second