Do YOU think our roster is better then it's been for the last 3 years. Yes or no.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Re: Do YOU think our roster is better then it's been for the last 3 years. Yes or no.

Yes, but that's not saying much.  Yeah I know we always put on a good show, put up massive points, and get into the playoffs.  But we have yet to aquire a couple of key pieces that will get us over that hump that always bites us in the rear come Jan/Feb.  Usually this is due to the defense.  I thought one such piece might be Wilson, as an enforcer in the secondary would have been huge.  Alas, not meant to be.  Also while Deadrick and Love weren't candidates for the Pro-bowl, they at least were gap fillers.  I'm not sure what's going to happen after Wilfork and Kelly.  And truthfully, Wilfork has been playing ironman football for several years now.  While he hasn't shown any signs of wearing down, how much longer can his body hold up?  Without him our defense is doomed, as he is every bit as important on defense as Brady is on offense. 

I think we will be able to stretch the field better this year with potential downfield deep threats.  So that's certainly an improvement.  The number one thing though with this team is for the starters to stay healthy, as the depth just isn't there in a lot of key positions. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Do YOU think our roster is better then it's been for the last 3 years. Yes or no.

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Of course we won't know for fact until after the season is over, but seeing as this is a discussion board and all....

It is time for us to state our opinion. Try and be direct as some of you are not very direct at all. Please no waffling as my good friend prolate is the king of( well they could be good, but I won't get my expectations up too far, I'm not too high, and I'm not too low, etc. etc. etc.)

Here is the question: position by position, is our roster a better NFL roster then we have fielded since 2010? If you think one group or another is not as good please explain why, but also answer the question....do we look better this year then we have the past few years?

I say we look better at every position across the board! And in some areas it is not even close. Our front seven is as good as its been since the super bowl years, and our running back duo is the best it's been since Dillion, and Faulk.

The receiving combo is more talented then it's been the past few years, even though it is young, and our offensive line is as good as ever.

I could understand an argument against the TE position but if suddfield can play near as well as he is hyped we are looking at a dominant group. Then again having Gronk alone gives you the best TE in the league so you are already great.

cb's look better then they have since 07, and IMO the only thing we are missing is a hard hitting strong safety, but the coverage safeties look good.

Oh yeah, one more question....if you conclude that our roster is in fact more talented then it has been, do you also conclude that the general manager is doing an amazing job at team building, considering we have been as close as you can get to winning a championship the last 2 years?

I do not agree. I think this team, today is short on depth and experience. The top of the depth chart may look better, but the core is not, yet. 

OL- imo Waters and Mankins were the best tandem in the league. 

WR- assume Amendola and Wes are equal. Assume Edelman is equal. There is no one on the team today that is as good as Lloyd was last year or Branch was 2 years ago. 

Ridley, Vareen, Bolden were all on the team last year. Woody was better than Blount.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Provided they stay healthy this team is unquestionably better than the past four years. 

Belichick has finally finished rebuilding this defense, the hole at strong safety since Adrian Wilson got hurt will look less glaring if the pass rush can swarm the QB which should be possible with the additions at DT.  Duron Harmon looked disciplined in the preseason at being in the proper spots, he doesn't have to amazing, just has to be technically sound.

The offense is now built for smashmouth and finesse, where in the past it was only built for the latter, a true weakness of this team.  I think the beating given to us by the Ravens last year will be a catalyst to make this team tougher, something evident in the preseason with an opposing team calling us "bullies."   Music to my ears...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Overall, I'd say better...and the tinkering ain't done yet....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I started a thread earlier where I said I think this could be our most talented roster since the very talented 2007 group, so if forced to say just yes or no, I'd say yes.  That said, all the reservations folks have about untested youth and lack of depth at some positions are valid, and only time will tell how good the team really is.  TE may be the only area I'd say we're weaker, though given the lack of depth, an injury or two on the D line could also mean that unit becomes weaker. The youth of the WRs creates uncertainty there, but I don't think we've been very good at that position for several years anyway, so I tend to see this year's group as better just because it has some upside potential.    At all other positions, I see improvement or steady state.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

No.

When asked after the war why he had seized the machine gun and taken on an entire company of German infantry, Audie Murphy replied simply, "They were killing my friends."

http://theconservativetreehouse.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/audie-murphy-2-1.jpg

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

The 2011 team was the best team IMO the past 3 years.  If Andre Carter and Rob Gronkowski are healthy for the Super Bowl, no doubt we win. 

That being said, I like this team a lot.  I like the rookie wide receivers especially Thompkins.  Gronk is not going to be gone long and I think if he stays healthy as well as Amendola (who I think will be better for this offense than Welker), the offense will be just fine especially with the running game.  The defense scares me a little but not as much as in recent years.  Chandler Jones and Dont'a Hightower are going to make strides in their second year.  I just have that feeling.  Talib being here a full season will be a huge benefit too.  When Aaron Hernandez got arrested, I did not look forward to this season at all.  Now that we know Gronk is going to be back in September and Sudfeld and the other receivers have shown some talent this preseason, I'm more excited for this season than I could have ever expected.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

No.

When asked after the war why he had seized the machine gun and taken on an entire company of German infantry, Audie Murphy replied simply, "They were killing my friends."

http://theconservativetreehouse.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/audie-murphy-2-1.jpg

But you still wanted Tebow to make the team and waste a spot. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from the-redsox-rule. Show the-redsox-rule's posts

Yes. Not sure about depth yet but better starters on both sides of the ball. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

[QUOTE]

No.

[/QUOTE]

Like that 53rd scrub was going to make a difference in whether this team is better than the last few. Learn the game.

And, I never said I wanted Tebow to make the team.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

[QUOTE]

Of course we won't know for fact until after the season is over, but seeing as this is a discussion board and all....

It is time for us to state our opinion. Try and be direct as some of you are not very direct at all. Please no waffling as my good friend prolate is the king of( well they could be good, but I won't get my expectations up too far, I'm not too high, and I'm not too low, etc. etc. etc.)

Here is the question: position by position, is our roster a better NFL roster then we have fielded since 2010? If you think one group or another is not as good please explain why, but also answer the question....do we look better this year then we have the past few years?

I say we look better at every position across the board! And in some areas it is not even close. Our front seven is as good as its been since the super bowl years, and our running back duo is the best it's been since Dillion, and Faulk.

The receiving combo is more talented then it's been the past few years, even though it is young, and our offensive line is as good as ever.

I could understand an argument against the TE position but if suddfield can play near as well as he is hyped we are looking at a dominant group. Then again having Gronk alone gives you the best TE in the league so you are already great.

cb's look better then they have since 07, and IMO the only thing we are missing is a hard hitting strong safety, but the coverage safeties look good.

Oh yeah, one more question....if you conclude that our roster is in fact more talented then it has been, do you also conclude that the general manager is doing an amazing job at team building, considering we have been as close as you can get to winning a championship the last 2 years?

I do not agree. I think this team, today is short on depth and experience. The top of the depth chart may look better, but the core is not, yet. 

WR- assume Amendola and Wes are equal. Assume Edelman is equal. There is no one on the team today that is as good as Lloyd was last year or Branch was 2 years ago. 

Ridley, Vareen, Bolden were all on the team last year. Woody was better than Blount.

[/QUOTE]

Mankins and Waters played 7(?) games together. I already like Thompkins more than Lloyd, who only ran comebacks/go routes. Thompkins is already a better route runner IMHO. 

Branch sucked, he sucked ever since he blew his knee. Ridley's fumbles, Vareen had a bad hammy for most of the year and Bolden played a few games and then suspension. While Woody's contributions were welcomed and valuable, he wasn't much of a threat to run. Whatever Woody did, Vareen will do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

No.

[/QUOTE]

Like that 53rd scrub was going to make a difference in whether this team is better than the last few. Learn the game.

And, I never said I wanted Tebow to make the team.

[/QUOTE]

Could've sworn you did.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

If you keep Brady on the field and upright you're always in the mix, especially this year with the AFC East looking pretty pathetic. The lousy secondary has been my concern since Samuels left and I'm still concerned about that. Maybe we'll get more pressure up front than in the past, but if I see that rush3 on passing downs I'll continue to go nuts. Don't see that the safety positions have been upgraded at all. Would rather have picked up Ghoulson, Huff, Reed or even Pollard than Wilson. Hate to think of McCourty getting injured but if that happened we look awfully thin there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Could've sworn you did.

Maybe it just seemed like I said I wanted him to make the team. I never even said he was good.

What I did say is that the guy is treated unfairly and that the facts oppose the spin.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

What I did say is that the guy is treated unfairly and that the facts oppose the spin.

So you think TT was treated unfairly when BB cut him after he put up 21 points in 19 preseason possessions as QB?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

A talented core with a lot of question marks at various positions WR (new faces, young faces), TE (health and assimilating rookies), Safety (same ol' group plus a few rooks).  They are thin on the DL (Kelly, VW). 

I expect this team to be fine despite being young.  But will "fine" = superbowl?  Lots to prove in my eyes. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriotrain. Show patriotrain's posts

i look for the pats to compete, dont see enough playmakers to go far in playoffs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Yes. Top 5 O, Top 5 D. Great team, great year.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

[QUOTE]

So you think TT was treated unfairly when BB cut him after he put up 21 points in 19 preseason possessions as QB?

[/QUOTE]

No. I think something is in the works to bring TT back so his contract is not guaranteed.

If BB brought him in to compete with Mallet for the backup spot, that's ridiculous. Mallet has years in the system. TT was just learning the system. And in the end he outplayed Mallet. Fact.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

No. I thinksomething is in the works to bring TT back so his contract is not guaranteed.

If BB brought him in to compete with Mallet for the backup spot, that's ridiculous. Mallet has years in the system. TT was just learning the system. And in the end he outplayed Mallet. Fact.

None of Tebow's contract was guaranteed.  What are you talking about?  Tebow didn't have to beat out Mallett to earn a spot.  I bet BB would have carried 3 QBs if TT showed anything in camp, but he didn't.  What part of 21 points in 19 possessions do you not understand?  That is beyond inept.  There are no facts backing your claim that Tebow outplayed Mallett.  Only spin.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Ask me in week 6

On paper it has potential,  but this is a very raw team under the covers

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

Provided they stay healthy this team is unquestionably better than the past four years. 

Belichick has finally finished rebuilding this defense, the hole at strong safety since Adrian Wilson got hurt will look less glaring if the pass rush can swarm the QB which should be possible with the additions at DT.  Duron Harmon looked disciplined in the preseason at being in the proper spots, he doesn't have to amazing, just has to be technically sound.

The offense is now built for smashmouth and finesse, where in the past it was only built for the latter, a true weakness of this team.  I think the beating given to us by the Ravens last year will be a catalyst to make this team tougher, something evident in the preseason with an opposing team calling us "bullies."   Music to my ears...

What team can keep 100% of their starting lineup healthy all throughout the season? It's a very physical game. Injuries sould be expected. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjetssuc. Show nyjetssuc's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No. I thinksomething is in the works to bring TT back so his contract is not guaranteed.

[/QUOTE]

You truly are delusional...absolutely delusional....if I told you Tobin Rote was still alive and had accepted JC as his lord and savior you'd be saying HE was the best QB in the game...just so transparent...

AND TT SUCKS!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Mankins and Waters played 7(?) games together. I already like Thompkins more than Lloyd, who only ran comebacks/go routes. Thompkins is already a better route runner IMHO. 

Branch sucked, he sucked ever since he blew his knee. Ridley's fumbles, Vareen had a bad hammy for most of the year and Bolden played a few games and then suspension. While Woody's contributions were welcomed and valuable, he wasn't much of a threat to run. Whatever Woody did, Vareen will do.

[/QUOTE]

Mankins and Wates that year were both pro bowlers. If I am not misaken the 6th and 7th on the depth hart were Solder and Wendell. I simply see too much of a drop off this year on the reserve OLmen

You may like Thompkins more than Lloyd, but will THompkins put up 74/911/4? YOu can think Branch sucked 2 years ago, but he did put up 51/702/5...I think today, that Thompkins is hard pressed to match these numbers

RB

THis year vs last year

Ridley=Ridley

Vareen=Vareen

Bolden=Bolden

Woody is better than Blount as a runner, pass catcher and blocker

I like Sudfeld, Said so at OTA's. But lets not get carried away here. He is not Hern, and nevr will be. Case closed

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

No. I think something is in the works to bring TT back so his contract is not guaranteed.

None of Tebow's contract was guaranteed.  What are you talking about?  Tebow didn't have to beat out Mallett to earn a spot.  I bet BB would have carried 3 QBs if TT showed anything in camp, but he didn't.  What part of 21 points in 19 possessions do you not understand?  That is beyond inept.  There are no facts backing your claim that Tebow outplayed Mallett.  Only spin.

[/QUOTE]

I believe the term is called "vested veteran". They can get their full pay if they are cut after the first game. TT may qualify for that.

What part of TT outplaying Mallet in the 4th pre-season game don't you understand? Did you expect him to outplay a guy in the system for years from the first day of camp??????

TT did show something in camp. He showed by the 4th pre-season game that he was better than Mallet. Fact.