Do YOU think our roster is better then it's been for the last 3 years. Yes or no.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Do YOU think our roster is better then it's been for the last 3 years. Yes or no.

In response to seattlepat70's comment:

What team can keep 100% of their starting lineup healthy all throughout the season? It's a very physical game. Injuries sould be expected.

It's health at the end of the season that matters.  Plus in an ideal world injuries would happen to more replaceable players.  Not having Carter and Gronk in the 2011 SB and Gronk, Talib and Jones in the 2012 AFCC hurt.  Gronk in particular is the one player on offense other than Brady that we can't really replace in any meaningful way.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Do YOU think our roster is better then it's been for the last 3 years. Yes or no.

In response to russgriswold's comment:

I'd say yes.

Well, you've said that each of the last 4 years dumbkoff.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I'd say yes. The other thing I like is the continuity and experience at some spots where they haven't had it in recent years like DE/OLB, Safety, and now CB with Talib and Dennard one year in.

The back up DE's are Buchanon and Bequette. Either Jones and Nink are playing every down, or there is a huge drop off at DE

Kelly was a nice add and I think the "youth" argument on offense is overblown.  We have young RBs with some good experience now and a pretty loaded O Line. Josh Kline was just signed back to the PS, which is good news in case Connolly or Cannon had an issue at Guard.

Buhanan and Ryan showed a lot more than I expected at two key spots: Pass rush and nickel/3rd down D.

That should help along with Kelly on the interior. It's really been interior rush where we've had some issues and that's where Kelly comes in as an upgrade over Love or Deaderick. Vince really isn't known as a pass rusher and while doubled, he couldn't do that by himself, so now Kelly's presence presents quite the conundrum.

I am very curious to see McCourty and Gregory together vs Harmon and Gregory or Wilson and Gregory in the Cover 2 base.

I think the continuity there with McCourty and Gregory will help, even if Gregory is not ideal. Would rather see him as the swing Safety.

The TEs have experience. This whole element that our team has little experience is outright trollwork.

People have been whining about separation from Branch and whoever else here for 2-3 years and now it looks like we have it with 2 UDFAs in Thompkins and Sudfeld and two draft picks who showed good moments in Dobson and Boyce.

Thin at DT, not the best quality at Safety (for now) and some ifs at CB in terms of depth, but I think Talib and Dennard, now Ryan, have made that spot stronger, especially with Arrington more so on the inside as the year goes on.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

Hard to tell there is still a ton of unknowns. 

QB - I want to say same but it's another year on Brady. For right now I'm going same but at some point we are going to start to see Brady decline (even in decline he'd still be one of the best out there)

WR - Could be better but it's hard to tell with rooks and your 2 main vets have had major injury issues the last 2 years.

TE - Worse. I love Sudfeld but no Gronk to start the year and 4 surgeries since his last real action and Hernandez not being there really hurts.

OL - Pretty much the same. With Scar leading the way we can essentially count on consistency year in and year out

DL - I don't know what to make of this group. Kelly is an improvement over Love and hopefully Jones develops but there is zero depth from what we've seen so far. The starters can't be on the field all the time otherwise they will simply break down from exhaustion. Until I see what they depth can provide I'm going to have to go with worse just simply because it doesn't matter how good the starters are they will get worse if they can't get proper rest

LB - Depth has improved so has this unit

CB - Same, it's the same group except Harmon and Ryan are in and really we don't know what to expect from them.

Overall??? potential to be better but also potential to be worse it all depends on how good the rooks are and what the depth on the DL can provide.

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

Disappointed that your eval does not lead to to state the proper conclusion:  Roster is WORSE than the last 3 years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[QUOTE]

Of course we won't know for fact until after the season is over, but seeing as this is a discussion board and all....

It is time for us to state our opinion. Try and be direct as some of you are not very direct at all. Please no waffling as my good friend prolate is the king of( well they could be good, but I won't get my expectations up too far, I'm not too high, and I'm not too low, etc. etc. etc.)

Here is the question: position by position, is our roster a better NFL roster then we have fielded since 2010? If you think one group or another is not as good please explain why, but also answer the question....do we look better this year then we have the past few years?

I say we look better at every position across the board! And in some areas it is not even close. Our front seven is as good as its been since the super bowl years, and our running back duo is the best it's been since Dillion, and Faulk.

The receiving combo is more talented then it's been the past few years, even though it is young, and our offensive line is as good as ever.

I could understand an argument against the TE position but if suddfield can play near as well as he is hyped we are looking at a dominant group. Then again having Gronk alone gives you the best TE in the league so you are already great.

cb's look better then they have since 07, and IMO the only thing we are missing is a hard hitting strong safety, but the coverage safeties look good.

Oh yeah, one more question....if you conclude that our roster is in fact more talented then it has been, do you also conclude that the general manager is doing an amazing job at team building, considering we have been as close as you can get to winning a championship the last 2 years?

I do not agree. I think this team, today is short on depth and experience. The top of the depth chart may look better, but the core is not, yet. 

OL- imo Waters and Mankins were the best tandem in the league. 

WR- assume Amendola and Wes are equal. Assume Edelman is equal. There is no one on the team today that is as good as Lloyd was last year or Branch was 2 years ago. 

Ridley, Vareen, Bolden were all on the team last year. Woody was better than Blount.

[/QUOTE]

Mankins and Waters played 7(?) games together. I already like Thompkins more than Lloyd, who only ran comebacks/go routes. Thompkins is already a better route runner IMHO. 

Branch sucked, he sucked ever since he blew his knee. Ridley's fumbles, Vareen had a bad hammy for most of the year and Bolden played a few games and then suspension. While Woody's contributions were welcomed and valuable, he wasn't much of a threat to run. Whatever Woody did, Vareen will do.

[/QUOTE]

Mankins and Wates that year were both pro bowlers. If I am not misaken the 6th and 7th on the depth hart were Solder and Wendell. I simply see too much of a drop off this year on the reserve OLmen

You may like Thompkins more than Lloyd, but will THompkins put up 74/911/4? YOu can think Branch sucked 2 years ago, but he did put up 51/702/5...I think today, that Thompkins is hard pressed to match these numbers

RB

THis year vs last year

Ridley=Ridley

Vareen=Vareen

Bolden=Bolden

Woody is better than Blount as a runner, pass catcher and blocker

I like Sudfeld, Said so at OTA's. But lets not get carried away here. He is not Hern, and nevr will be. Case closed

[/QUOTE]

We lost almost every time when Woodhead had too many touches vs the better Ds.

Two improvements:

Welker and Woodhead gone. Fun players to watch, but limited in how they can be used. We also used them too much.

[/QUOTE]

I believe Woody got 28% of the snaps? He played more often than usual when Ridley fumbled and was sat down, Bolden was suspended for PED's and Vareen was injured...thankfully, Woody came thru in all phases of the game.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I'd say yes.

Well, you've said that each of the last 4 years dumbkoff.

[/QUOTE]

BB was rebuilding in 2010.

[/QUOTE]

But you told us the rebuild was complete years ago, liar.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I believe the term is called "vested veteran". They can get their full pay if they are cut after the first game. TT may qualify for that.

Tebow is not a vested veteran.  Vested veterans don't go through waivers.  So no it had nothing to do with financial guarantees

[QUOTE]

What part of TT outplaying Mallet in the 4th pre-season game don't you understand? Did you expect him to outplay a guy in the system for years from the first day of camp??????

TT did show something in camp. He showed by the 4th pre-season game that he was better than Mallet. Fact.

[/QUOTE]

In the final preseason game the offense put up 14 points on 6 drives with Mallett at QB and 14 points on 8 drives with Tebow at QB.  Plus Tebow's last scoring "drive" was a 9 yard gimme because the Giants went for it on 4th down inside their own 10.  In a real game the Patriots would have simply kneeled to end the game which would have meant 7 points in 7 drives with Tebow at QB.  There is no world where Tebow outplayed Mallett in the preseason at any point let alone the 4th game.  All you have is spin.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

LOL!

Now, that is some funny shiyat right there. You know NAS is a thumper, too. His black and white views on everything is a dead giveaway.

Right dumbkoff. We've already shown you that you are in the 2% worldwide with your godless point of view. You really are stupid, in almost every way I can think of.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

[QUOTE]

I believe the term is called "vested veteran". They can get their full pay if they are cut after the first game. TT may qualify for that.

Tebow is not a vested veteran.  Vested veterans don't go through waivers.  So no it had nothing to do with financial guarantees

[QUOTE]

What part of TT outplaying Mallet in the 4th pre-season game don't you understand? Did you expect him to outplay a guy in the system for years from the first day of camp??????

TT did show something in camp. He showed by the 4th pre-season game that he was better than Mallet. Fact.

[/QUOTE]

In the final preseason game the offense put up 14 points on 6 drives with Mallett at QB and 14 points on 8 drives with Tebow at QB.  Plus Tebow's last scoring "drive" was a 9 yard gimme because the Giants went for it on 4th down inside their own 10.  In a real game the Patriots would have simply kneeled to end the game which would have meant 7 points in 7 drives with Tebow at QB.  There is no world where Tebow outplayed Mallett in the preseason at any point let alone the 4th game.  All you have is spin.

[/QUOTE]

Nonsense. You're the one spinning and hiding behind your "Rusty context BS". I'm stating facts.

Tebow had a better PR, more TDs and more yards. End of story. F'n Mallet has had years in this system and TT outplayed him after mere WEEKS in it. LMAO

Truth stings like a beach when you have an unfair agenda.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to bungaholebill's comment:

TT is a FOOTBALL PLAYER...he's a winner...he's a great teammate...but he's NO qb...never will be...he's a decent runner out of the backfiled..he's an option QB...but not a NFL QB...never will be...

Dude, will you stop? The Steelers might hear you. They are going to be very sad to hear you say somebody who isn't an NFL QB sent them one and out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

All that matters is that the New England Patriots are better than the the playoff teams that they will face this year (assuming we get there). Since most of the better teams are projected to come from the NFC, the path to the super bowl is likely to be smooth sailing.

In our path should be the Broncos, the Texans, the Ravens, the Bengals, the Steelers, the Colts and the Chiefs. Has there ever been an easier path to the super bowl? I don't think so.

When we get there it will be either the 49ers, the Seahawks, the Packers, the Falcons, the Giants, the Saints, the Cowboys, the Redskins or the Buccaneers. I think we can beat 'em. How 'bout you?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

Could've sworn you did.

Maybe it just seemed like I said I wanted him to make the team. I never even said he was good.

What I did say is that the guy is treated unfairly and that the facts oppose the spin.

[/QUOTE]

Babe, you've been professing his greatness since he was signed. Or did you forget the whole, winner, better than Luck, better than Manning for Den, Heisman, mantra you've been saying since day 1. Though you are right you didn't say he was good you've been suggesting strongly he's great

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Nonsense. You're the one spinning and hiding behind your "Rusty context BS". I'm stating facts.

Tebow had a better PR, more TDs and more yards. End of story. F'n Mallet has had years in this system and TT outplayed him after mere WEEKS in it. LMAO

The fact is that the offense was inept when Tebow was on the field.  Anyone with a brain could see it and the efficiency stats bear it out.  If Tebow so clearly outplayed Mallett then why did BB cut him?  Aren't you the guy who says BB knows when to cut stiffs?  Well he cut Tebow.  What will your spin be when Tebow doesn't play a down in the NFL this year?  You are the one with an agenda and your agenda is propping up a guy who all 32 NFL teams don't think is worthy of a roster spot.  LMAO @ U.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Could've sworn you did.

Maybe it just seemed like I said I wanted him to make the team. I never even said he was good.

What I did say is that the guy is treated unfairly and that the facts oppose the spin.

[/QUOTE]

Babe, you've been professing his greatness since he was signed. Or did you forget the whole, winner, better than Luck, better than Manning for Den, Heisman, mantra you've been saying since day 1. Though you are right you didn't say he was good you've been suggesting strongly he's great

[/QUOTE]

Wrong. I simply said his accomplishments do not deserve the derision he gets. And I did not say he is better than Luck. I said their numbers are comparable. I simply said he won Denver a playoff game and Manning didn't.

What a lot of people here do is claim things I never said, because that's how they hear it.

They say I "hate" BB because I see him as an average GM. Then they say I said he sucks as a GM. Neither are true.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The fact is that the offense was inept when Tebow was on the field.  Anyone with a brain could see it and the efficiency stats bear it out.  If Tebow so clearly outplayed Mallett then why did BB cut him?  Aren't you the guy who says BB knows when to cut stiffs?  Well he cut Tebow.  What will your spin be when Tebow doesn't play a down in the NFL this year?  You are the one with an agenda and your agenda is propping up a guy who all 32 NFL teams don't think is worthy of a roster spot.  LMAO @ U.

I'm not propping anybody up. I've stated facts. You're the one spinning.

He wouldn't be the first guy the NFL has been anal about that could play. Flutie was sent off to Canada and came back to have a good career. That Hall of Famer Warren Moon is another. LMAO@U

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Of course we won't know for fact until after the season is over, but seeing as this is a discussion board and all....

It is time for us to state our opinion. Try and be direct as some of you are not very direct at all. Please no waffling as my good friend prolate is the king of( well they could be good, but I won't get my expectations up too far, I'm not too high, and I'm not too low, etc. etc. etc.)

Here is the question: position by position, is our roster a better NFL roster then we have fielded since 2010? If you think one group or another is not as good please explain why, but also answer the question....do we look better this year then we have the past few years?

I say we look better at every position across the board! And in some areas it is not even close. Our front seven is as good as its been since the super bowl years, and our running back duo is the best it's been since Dillion, and Faulk.

The receiving combo is more talented then it's been the past few years, even though it is young, and our offensive line is as good as ever.

I could understand an argument against the TE position but if suddfield can play near as well as he is hyped we are looking at a dominant group. Then again having Gronk alone gives you the best TE in the league so you are already great.

cb's look better then they have since 07, and IMO the only thing we are missing is a hard hitting strong safety, but the coverage safeties look good.

Oh yeah, one more question....if you conclude that our roster is in fact more talented then it has been, do you also conclude that the general manager is doing an amazing job at team building, considering we have been as close as you can get to winning a championship the last 2 years?

I do not agree. I think this team, today is short on depth and experience. The top of the depth chart may look better, but the core is not, yet. 

So you think we had better experience and better depth in 2011?

Where?

We have 3 starting CB's returning, 2 starting safeties, 5 starting O-linemen, 3 starting defensive linemen, 4 starting LBers, 2 starting RB's, starting QB, and starting #1 TE in all football. All of these guys are returning, yet you mention lack of experience?

Where we have complete turnover is the receiver position which is what many fans like you have been screaming for. Now that we have overhauled the position fans like you say it is a problem. Unreal. The past 4 years we would have killed to have 3 rookie receivers with potential on this roster.

OL- imo Waters and Mankins were the best tandem in the league. 

Sure, but they played together for half a year. Now we have 2 of the best tackles in football. So....

WR- assume Amendola and Wes are equal. Assume Edelman is equal. There is no one on the team today that is as good as Lloyd was last year or Branch was 2 years ago. 

Nobody on this roster is as good as 32 year old Branch? Really? Is that really how you feel? Honestly? How did Branch do in the Super bowl? Lloyd was a good fit imo, but you don't think between Thompkins/Dosbson and Boyce we can replace 900 yards and 6 td's? Really?

Ridley, Vareen, Bolden were all on the team last year. Woody was better than Blount.

Such a poor comparison as Woody played over Vareen last year. Plus you would disregard what another year of experience does for these 2 young RB's. As BB said today, "As we say dependability is more important then skill" This is the only reason BJGE started over Ridley, and is the only reason Woody started over Vareen. Now we have guys with tremendous skill and dependability due to 3 years in the system, yet you would push an agenda on us that our RB core was better in 2011? Sorry, I don't believe you really think that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

I'd say it's a push. 

I still think this team is talented, but thin at spots. 

An injury or two (as we've seen the last few postseasons) could derail the thing. Fully healthy, I think they are as good as anyone. 

Amazing job? Well, that's a load question meant to take a shot at Babe. 

I'd say he's doing a very good job. He certainly got most of the pieces in place even if he's struggled getting his defensive backfield in order among a few other niggles. Amazing? I'd reserve that for guys who've won it all in the last five years or so, or rebuilt teams from scratch with a veteran MVP to build around. 

Like I said, I'm worried about the depth at a few spots .... I see that as a GM issue. 

Fair enough, you feel that only teams that have won the SB have done an amazing job in team building. 49ers, Seahawks,Falcons,Broncos,Patriots are a no for you....

Yet, you feel that if healthy we, "are as good as anyone"?  Sounds like a great team to me, if depth is the only issue and at only 1 or 2 positions and other then that we are as good as anyone then we are pretty damn good.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I

Mankins and Wates that year were both pro bowlers. If I am not misaken the 6th and 7th on the depth hart were Solder and Wendell. I simply see too much of a drop off this year on the reserve OLmen

You may like Thompkins more than Lloyd, but will THompkins put up 74/911/4? YOu can think Branch sucked 2 years ago, but he did put up 51/702/5...I think today, that Thompkins is hard pressed to match these numbers

RB

THis year vs last year

Ridley=Ridley

Vareen=Vareen

Bolden=Bolden

Woody is better than Blount as a runner, pass catcher and blocker

I like Sudfeld, Said so at OTA's. But lets not get carried away here. He is not Hern, and nevr will be. Case closed

Hmm. Regarding WR numbers. It's not how many catches you make, but how you make them, who you can make them against, and what you can do with the ball afterward. 

I liked Branch ... but he was old and slow, and he didn't compete against big time corners. Watching him completely disappear in the playoffs underneath the Jets' corners really illustrated that he was, at that point, really just a reliable vet who won't "Ocho" it and go to the wrong spot. I value these players ... really anyone should. With a guy like that Brady can make his reads, and just think about whether they are open or not, as opposed to having to question whether the player is going to be in the right spot or not. 

Lloyd didn't get much separation. It was visible he'd lost a step. He could still compete for balls against players, but he wasn't pulling away from them. His RAC was dreadful. 

I think Thompkins, from what he's shown so far, can actually be competitive and he has tha ability to get over the top/move with the ball after. 

If he ends up with 45 catches, they will effect opposing game plans more than the 100 or so Lloyd and Branch amassed together. 

Still, though, I wish the story about why they let go of Lloyd was out there. I think, for an 11 package THIS season, Lloyd - Amendola - Gronk - Thompkins/Dobson would be a little more reassuring than missing the vet with a year in the system ... even if he isn't 'dynamic'.

Also ... I am going to hold you to that about Sudfeld buudy! I think he will produce as much as Hern did. What is that? 4-5 TDs per season? ~550 yards? I think that can be done. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

[QUOTE]

I'd say it's a push. 

I still think this team is talented, but thin at spots. 

An injury or two (as we've seen the last few postseasons) could derail the thing. Fully healthy, I think they are as good as anyone. 

Amazing job? Well, that's a load question meant to take a shot at Babe. 

I'd say he's doing a very good job. He certainly got most of the pieces in place even if he's struggled getting his defensive backfield in order among a few other niggles. Amazing? I'd reserve that for guys who've won it all in the last five years or so, or rebuilt teams from scratch with a veteran MVP to build around. 

Like I said, I'm worried about the depth at a few spots .... I see that as a GM issue. 

Fair enough, you feel that only teams that have won the SB have done an amazing job in team building. 49ers, Seahawks,Falcons,Broncos,Patriots are a no for you....

Yet, you feel that if healthy we, "are as good as anyone"?  Sounds like a great team to me, if depth is the only issue and at only 1 or 2 positions and other then that we are as good as anyone then we are pretty damn good.

[/QUOTE]

Perty much ... I'd also take New Orleans off the list ... but that's just me. 

Yeah ... I honestly think ... in 2011 ... depth/talent was the only thing keeping NE from taking it home. 

If NE had Carter and Gronk ... it would likely have been a different game. 

If NE can make the run healthy, yeah, I can see them beating anyone. 

That, in a nutshell, is often the missing element that defines SB winners and especially dynasties ... the ability to lose a key player and STILL be able to win the big game. 

That or the luck of being completely healthy come the big dance, which is rare for any team. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm not propping anybody up. I've stated facts. You're the one spinning.

He wouldn't be the first guy the NFL has been anal about that could play. Flutie was sent off to Canada and came back to have a good career. That Hall of Famer Warren Moon is another. LMAO@U

[/QUOTE]

Tebow neither threw more TDs nor had a better passer rating than Mallet. Moreover ... the offense scored less than half as many points as it did when Mallet was on the field. 

Check your facts Babe.