Do YOU think our roster is better then it's been for the last 3 years. Yes or no.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Do YOU think our roster is better then it's been for the last 3 years. Yes or no.

In response to TFB12's comment:

Correct me if I am wrong but last I looked the Patriots have 13 rookies on the 53 man roster, many who will have significant playing time and expectations, and 7 rookies on the practice squad.  Can we expect a SB victory with this?  I would laugh if it was any other team.  Than k goodness for TFB, he is the great equalizer.  But still that that's asking a lot even from a HOF QB.

The early 2000 Super Bowl teams were a good mix of young and old, just like this team, we'll be exciting for quite a few years with this nucleus.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Do YOU think our roster is better then it's been for the last 3 years. Yes or no.

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to wozzy's comment:

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I agree with just about all that wozzy, but do you really think Dobson is fast. What i noticed is that he struggled in preseason and was behind because he looks to have only average speed for WR. He is taller, but he is no Randy. He looked pretty pedestrian and I think KT is more of a deep threat along with Boyce. I see Dobson being the jump ball in the endzone guy, maybe some sidelines routes like LLoyd because he doesnt look to seperate against the better Cbs. Atleast thats what my eyes told me.

Dobson ran a 4.37 at the Marshall Pro Day, that's fast anyway you look at it.  Pair that with 6'3" height and a 35" vertical and that amounts to a good downfield threat.  I thought Dobson looked good in preseason, he got less reps than Thompkins who has picked up the offense very easily but  he ran good routes, showed he could run underneath routes which I think is what they were looking to see from him in preseason, they probably already know he can stretch the field.  

Answer quick without looking: Thompkins led all Patriots in preseason catches, who was #2?

Well I dont put much stock into pro days and heres why. Year after Year I see guys have horrible 40s at the combine and make excuses. You show up a month later to THEIR school and all of a sudden they are a whole second faster. So sorry i dont buy his school time, but Id like to see his combine. Game speed and timed speed are different and Im sorry, I DO NOT see 4.3 speed with this kid. I mean Boyce runs a 4.3! U think Dobson can hang with him???  Listen, I like the guy, he did do some work underneath, but the only way I see him beating someone downfield is off of playaction. Chad Jackson was a legit 4.3 guy who never looked that fast on the field and he was faster to me than Dobson.

as far as the 2nd leading WR, I couldnt even guess as it seems each game they were trying to look at certain guys but I will go with either vareen/dobson/amendola.  But Im not saying he cant be productive. I didnt mean he struggled as a WR in preseaon, I mean he struggled to get deep and make any big plays which may be by design,but if folks are expecting that, I think they may be disapointed. He is gonna get a lot of back shoulder throws like LLoyd got which is what u do when  a guy is all over you. He does have some serious skills cathing the ball and his vert will help. But I want KT going Deep, he is fast. Even on Madden, Dobson is listed at 6'2, not 6'3 like i said and his speed his 87, KTs is 91 and Boyce is 93. Thats done by experts. So I aint the only one who saw it.

Dobson is 4.4 speed which, while not Randy Moss speed, is as good as TO or Chad Johnson in their prime.  

I think preseason is about working on weaknesses not strengths, Dobson was our 2nd leading receiver, they used him a lot in the 2nd preseason game (I think?) then let him assimilate as they showcased other guys.  

I'm certainly not saying Madden ratings are perfect because they're far from it, all rookies start out at zero basically.  Thompkins ran a 4.46 at the combine and is pretty fast himself, he is also two inches shorter and quicker in four directions, but if you're talking inline speed he wouldn't likely win in a foot race.  

I don't know what you guys saw in preseason but Dobson looked like he could run every route once he gets the offense down, the guy made a variety of catches, seemed to have a rapport with Brady and Mallet.  I won't knock one of our receivers just to praise the other, I'm excited about the group, but for a long time people have been clamoring for a big receiver, Belichick himself was trying for years until he found Moss, now we have one, if all he turns out to be is Moss-lite than I'll be happy.

In combination with Thompkins who is a complete route runner, Boyce a slot nightmare, Amendola who has already replaced Welker (sorry Welker fans) and the rest we're looking pretty good. There may be hiccups along the way, but we're better off than with a stable of old, ailing receivers.

No I think Im cool with saying he can run a 4.4, but 4.3?? Naaaa. In terms of running routes, Ive heard he was good and thats not my issue with him. I didnt notice it till the last game so maybe its the hammy injury that slowed him(he is on the injury report this week) but he looked like J.J. Stokes out there last game. Seemed like he had choppy steps and wasnt moving fast, but im nitpicking. I just dont see him as our deep threat and KT and Boyce both to me look like they have faster game speeds. All in all, we agree this is complete albeit young WR corps that could do wonders. Its just about how they progress.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

TBD

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

bumped

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

If the 2013 Pats' roster is BB's best in years, than why is he continuously tinkering with it? Today, he released TE Mulligan, who he had just signed two days ago, and center Braxton Cave, creating two roster spots...one of which was used to resign FB James Develin: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4748111/source-fb-develin-to-be-re-signed

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

If the 2013 Pats' roster is BB's best in years, than why is he continuously tinkering with it? Today, he released TE Mulligan, who he had just signed two days ago, and and a back-up offensive lineman, creating two roster spots...one of which was used to resign FB Develin.

TPat, just like the pit crew chief tinkers with the engine of the race car just minutes up to a race, Bill is an anal perfectionist who is looking for every little tweak, mix for even the smallest strategic and tactical advantage. You can bet some of his moves aren't even intended for relevance on the filed but are likely in order to play the GM game by moving pieces around for further financial considerations and even roster flexibility/trades. I'd be worried more if he didn't tinker like this. The dude is like that OCD person that you know, but thank God they are OCD because Lord knows what it would be without them doing what they do as a result of their nervous habit. I love this roster and what BB is doing this year......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Correct me if I am wrong but last I looked the Patriots have 13 rookies on the 53 man roster, many who will have significant playing time and expectations, and 7 rookies on the practice squad.  Can we expect a SB victory with this?  I would laugh if it was any other team.  Than k goodness for TFB, he is the great equalizer.  But still that that's asking a lot even from a HOF QB.

---------------------------------------------

"Being the best doesn't mean you always win. It just means you win more than anybody else."  Text received by Tom Brady from Kurt Warner after Ravens loss.

view my Patriots photoshops at patsfanfotoshop.tumblr.com

TFB, READY? In the PATRIOTS last two Superbowls:

2007 lost SUPERBOWL to the NY GIANTS who had 14-ROOKS!

2011 lost SUPERBOWL to the NY GIANTS who had 12-ROOKS!

Glad to see Bill taking note! Sorry my brutha..........but us having 13-ROOKS this year sounds just about right!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

TPat, just like the pit crew chief tinkers with the engine of the race car just minutes up to a race, Bill is an anal perfectionist who is looking for every little tweak, mix for even the smallest strategic and tactical advantage. You can bet some of his moves aren't even intended for relevance on the filed but are likely in order to play the GM game by moving pieces around for further financial considerations and even roster flexibility/trades. I'd be worried more if he didn't tinker like this. The dude is like that OCD person that you know, but thank God they are OCD because Lord knows what it would be without them doing what they do as a result of their nervous habit. I love this roster and what BB is doing this year......

Response: Not buying it. But, BB could have decided to cut Mulligan because Gronk may be ready sooner than expected.

Though the Ravens get blown away in Denver, FB Vontae Leach was one of the few Ravens who played effectively.  Perhaps this made BB think twice about the value of having a good FB.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwhite1220. Show dwhite1220's posts

[QUOTE]

Response: Not buying it. But, BB could have decided to cut Mulligan because Gronk may be ready sooner than expected.

Though the Ravens get blown away in Denver, FB Vontae Leach was one of the few Ravens who played effectively.  Perhaps this made BB think twice about the value of having a good FB.

[/QUOTE]

We could've signed Leach in the first place!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Glad to see Bill taking note! Sorry my brutha..........but us having 13-ROOKS this year sounds just about right!

Could you please let me know how many of those rooks got the playing time ours will?  I assume not many if any.  I will wait right here for you to get back to me. Thanks buddy!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

If the 2013 Pats' roster is BB's best in years, than why is he continuously tinkering with it? Today, he released TE Mulligan, who he had just signed two days ago, and center Braxton Cave, creating two roster spots...one of which was used to resign FB James Develin: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4748111/source-fb-develin-to-be-re-signed

Do they even have a full roster yet?  Last I counted they were short.  Maybe trade or bring in a safety or CB or Dline depth.  Crazy.  Maybe Adrian Peterson can drink from the fountain of youth and have some dear antler spray to get back on the field and play like he did years ago.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

When does BB not do this?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE

When does BB not do this?

No...when has BB done this? I don't recall so many last minute roster changes as we're seeing this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Could you please let me know how many of those rooks got the playing time ours will?  I assume not many if any.  I will wait right here for you to get back to me. Thanks buddy!

TFB, that is an exercise in futility. All that matters is how they perform. Based on BB's assement I trust that the ROOKS who play a lot this season, deserve it.

WE returned 10-starters to the D this season, but have added high quality depth and ROOKS who can really play. Another full year of chemistry building in 2012 will reap clear benefits for this season.

WE returned 8-starters to the #1 ranked offense in the NFL last season while losing AH, WW, and BL. Both BL and WW were basically dismissed from the team due to BB and staff's assessment of decreased value and slipping performace. As we see from both of their market value, the league agrees with BB. KT, AD, ZS, JE, VEREEN, AD, and Boyce bring much more diversity and skill when being thrown to by TB. We aren't asking that much from our unusually talented, atheltic, ROOKS being that TB is their QB.

All I'm telling you is that our ROOKS who are gonna get all this playing time that you are referring to are RECEIVERS and TB can turn ANYBODY who has great talent and work ethic into a household name. So, our ROOKS, (receivers) have a great advantage as they have TB. One poster here even made the comment that WW was Tom's security blanket and that it was good to see Wes go. Well, if we are to take advantage of the potential that these kids clearly have, then that thinking is pretty true. Necessity is the mohter of invention. I think WW has a negative effect on Manning's psyche in the end also........just a hunch. Of course, if he keeps dropping balls on big plays, Peyton won't likelly have as much patience.......LOL! 

The rest of the team is pretty much vets..........with some rookie depth. What other rooks are you referring to? Collins? He is a superstar in the making and should be playing.......Who else is gonna be loaded with playing time as a ROOK?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

No...when has BB done this? I don't recall so many last minute roster changes as we're seeing this year.

This happens all the time, the Aikens and Tracy Whites of the world can get cut and resigned three or five times in a season.  Coaches use this part of the preseason to take a look at as many free agents possible as well as those cut from other teams, not simply to sign somebody but to to see them up close in case we need to sign somebody because a player gets hurt.  If Gronk (heaven forbid) gets injured again it would not be strange if we saw Fells, Ballard or this Mulligan kid back on the roster... it's better to know in advance which free agents are out there and what their skill set is.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

OK, I'm an unabashed homer, but very likely MUCH better at WR, about the same at TE, better at RB, better front seven, everywhere else comparable.

WR: Last year there was Welker who was Welker, which is to say an outstanding slot receiver, perhaps the best ever. Then there was Lloyd, who was nothing special, a disappointment some would say. Then there was....ummm....er.... Oh yeah, Branch! Love the guy, but he was spent. 

This year, there is enormous potential. If they reach anything close to that potential, they're just a much better and deeper group than last year. Sure, some of that hinges on Amendola's health, but every team in the league has "ifs".

TE: Gronk is back, that's pretty much all you need to know. Can Sudfeld replace Hern's production. Why not, he looked like the real deal in the preseason, and as good as Hern was in the open field, he had alligator arms at times, was an indifferent blocker (to be kind) and was not durable. I guess if you want to be negative, you can find it here (Gronk's health, Sudfeld is a rook), but I feel fine about that position.

RB: Better because of depth and experience. I think it's expected that in the absence of Woody, Vereen will play a much larger role this year, and based on what I've seen that's a good thing. He's bigger, stronger and more athletic than Woody, who was willing but limited. Vereen's ceiling is much higher. Does anybody think that if Vereen gets the touches Woody got, he won't be more productive? 

Front Seven: It can't be overstated, in my view, that Jones and Hightower are no longer rookies. The rookie wall is a real deal, and their confidence, technique, strength will all be better. Those are two blue chip cats who will be significantly better. The depth at LB, the athleticism of Collins, who will eventually be a guy that will need to be accounted for. The addition of Kelly...I see that as a solid group, quite a bit better than last year.

I don't see any other positional area that has changed much, for better or worse, from 2012.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

OK, I'm an unabashed homer, but very likely MUCH better at WR, about the same at TE, better at RB, better front seven, everywhere else comparable.

WR: Last year there was Welker who was Welker, which is to say an outstanding slot receiver, perhaps the best ever. Then there was Lloyd, who was nothing special, a disappointment some would say. Then there was....ummm....er.... Oh yeah, Branch! Love the guy, but he was spent. 

This year, there is enormous potential. If they reach anything close to that potential, they're just a much better and deeper group than last year. Sure, some of that hinges on Amendola's health, but every team in the league has "ifs".

TE: Gronk is back, that's pretty much all you need to know. Can Sudfeld replace Hern's production. Why not, he looked like the real deal in the preseason, and as good as Hern was in the open field, he had alligator arms at times, was an indifferent blocker (to be kind) and was not durable. I guess if you want to be negative, you can find it here (Gronk's health, Sudfeld is a rook), but I feel fine about that position.

RB: Better because of depth and experience. I think it's expected that in the absence of Woody, Vereen will play a much larger role this year, and based on what I've seen that's a good thing. He's bigger, stronger and more athletic than Woody, who was willing but limited. Vereen's ceiling is much higher. Does anybody think that if Vereen gets the touches Woody got, he won't be more productive? 

Front Seven: It can't be overstated, in my view, that Jones and Hightower are no longer rookies. The rookie wall is a real deal, and their confidence, technique, strength will all be better. Those are two blue chip cats who will be significantly better. The depth at LB, the athleticism of Collins, who will eventually be a guy that will need to be accounted for. The addition of Kelly...I see that as a solid group, quite a bit better than last year.

I don't see any other positional area that has changed much, for better or worse, from 2012.

A very well reasoned post. Every team has concerns, but our main concerns are health, and depth at only 1 or 2 positions. SS is the weakest position on our team and I am really starting to wonder if Jamie Collins is not the answer to the A Wilson/Rodney SS/LB hybrid. This guy is a perfect fit. 6'3 with unbelievable athleticism, and imo is more then fluid enough to fill that role.

Tommy Kelly is the best thing we have had next to Wilfork since Seymour was traded. More importantly as you say, another year of development for not only Hightower, and Jones, but also Talib, Gregory, and Dennard get another year in the system. Continuity in the defense will be better this year. We have many starters returning on offense and defense but everybody wants to talk about the receivers when imo it isn't much of a concern.

I must be a homer because this team looks like a contender to me. BB has done it again...for a 13th year.