Dobson Shows Signs Of Improvement?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Dobson Shows Signs Of Improvement?

Article on Dobson's Progress

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2013/10/aaron_dobson_s_catching_on

Fans expectations of immediate contributions were unrealistic.  I still don't think he has reached his potential, doubt that will occur this year - but at least he's showing some signs of improvement.  It takes actual pro experience to develop route running and timing. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: Dobson Shows Signs Of Improvement?

What other WR on this team is getting separation other than Dobson?  What WR on this team is not dropping catchable balls? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Good article and I agree Dobson has gotten better every week. Unfortunately he had a couple early drops and some posters in here started calling him Dropson which I think is unfair. Now when a throw is bad or behind him or stripped away by a DB every says its Dobsons fault when it really hasn't been since week 2 or 3. As long as he progresses he will be fine. The guy I relly want to see is Boyce. I know he only has 1 catch but I remember that catch and the ball was thrown at his ankles and he grabbed it in stride and turned a 5 yard slant into a 24 yard gain. Hope we get to see some of him soon.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I really like the way he's progressing.  He's starting to show what we all hoped he would show.  Size, speed, and decent hands.  Hopefully it continues to get better as the season unfolds. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I really like the way he's progressing.  He's starting to show what we all hoped he would show.  Size, speed, and decent hands.  Hopefully it continues to get better as the season unfolds. 

What? Really?

Game 1 = 0

Game 2 = 3 rec for 56 yards and 1 td

Game 3 = 7 rec for 52 yards

Game 4 = 1 rec for 10 yards

Game 5 = 2 rec for 49 yards

Game 6 = 6 rec for 63 yards

Game 7 = 3 rec for 34 yards

Game 8 = 4 rec for 60 yards

Aaron Dobson who, with eight drops and 26 catches, has the second-worst catch rate of all receivers. Poor Tom Terrific.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/30/signature-stats-drop-rate/

Also, look where Thompkins and Amendola are on the list.  8 weeks in ladies and gents and these are our wr's?  No excuses.   This is bad. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2013/10/aaron_dobson_s_catching_on

Fans expectations of immediate contributions were unrealistic.  I still don't think he has reached his potential, doubt that will occur this year - but at least he's showing some signs of improvement.  It takes actual pro experience to develop route running and timing. 

[/QUOTE]

Of course we expected immediate contributions, I'm sure Bill did too.  Same with Thompkins and Boyce.  Who else was going to catch passes for this team besides Amendola, and Edelman?

Clearly the getting rid of Welkie was a horrible idea but so was getting rid of Lloyd.  Why not keep Lloyd and work these guys in or bring in a good vet to play and work these guys in.  What a blunder to bring these guys in and expect them to be solid help for this team right away.  If you don't think there were high expectations for these guy from bill then you are nuts.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Uncle Rico. Show Uncle Rico's posts

In response to Patsfansince1966's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Well, if they kept Lloyd why not Moss or Haynesworth?

[/QUOTE]

Strange how nothing bad about Lloyd came out until after he left the Patriots.  Funny how Josh McDaniels knew all about Lloyd yet they still brought him to NE.  Funny how in September Lloyd was contacted by the Patriots about his services.  Pats should have never let him go to begin with.  He was big time when Lloyd, Moss are both different situations then that tub of junk Haynesworth.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Fans expectations of immediate contributions were unrealistic.  

[/QUOTE]

So, Terry Glenn and Stanley Morgan and others were flukes?

[/QUOTE]

yes. How many other rookie WRs didn't perform like that?

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I must admit that I didn't know a single thing about Dobson coming out of college.  When the Pats drafted him this place was filled with all the great stories of how he never dropped a pass and the pictures of his great one handed end zone catch, people even brought up Randy Moss's name when talking about Dobson, lol!  So yeah, I bought into they hype, big time.  So my disappointment could be due to the expectations were so high based on these stories and pictures and talk posted here before he even stepped on the Patriots practice field.

But I must say that I don't understand what is going on.  Who will get more snaps, more passes Sunday vs the Steelers, Dobson or Thompkins? I think Thompkins has looked better then Dobson, why was he not used last weekend? 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I must admit that I didn't know a single thing about Dobson coming out of college.  When the Pats drafted him this place was filled with all the great stories of how he never dropped a pass and the pictures of his great one handed end zone catch, people even brought up Randy Moss's name when talking about Dobson, lol!  So yeah, I bought into they hype, big time.  So my disappointment could be due to the expectations were so high based on these stories and pictures and talk posted here before he even stepped on the Patriots practice field.

But I must say that I don't understand what is going on.  Who will get more snaps, more passes Sunday vs the Steelers, Dobson or Thompkins? I think Thompkins has looked better then Dobson, why was he not used last weekend? 

[/QUOTE]

Is DA playing?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It's funny that the "hype" was all by the "fans"-those that know NOTHING of the inner workings of a football team.

Kind of like speculating about what goes on in an industry that one knows nothing about-pointless at best.

[/QUOTE]

Apparently BB had the same feelings as the fans because he is the one who drafted Dobson.  So that statement you made really doesn't make sense, does it?

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Did you ever think that Brady's throws, many of them lacking touch at times or the right traectories, are why these supposed "drops" are happening?

A circus catch not completed are not "drops".  Period. I don't care how the metric is judged. I know what I see. Dobson and Thompkins have had some rookie nerve type drops like all rookies will, but that's it.

Those will dwindle in time.

They key to ANY rookie is progression throughout the season.  It appears all the rookies are progressing, even if at varying rates.

[/QUOTE]

Bingo!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Did you ever think that Brady's throws, many of them lacking touch at times or the right traectories, are why these supposed "drops" are happening?

A circus catch not completed are not "drops".  Period. I don't care how the metric is judged. I know what I see. Dobson and Thompkins have had some rookie nerve type drops like all rookies will, but that's it.

Those will dwindle in time.

They key to ANY rookie is progression throughout the season.  It appears all the rookies are progressing, even if at varying rates.

[/QUOTE]

NO!  Drops are catchable passes that should have been made.

Circus catches where a receiver gets a fingertip on the ball are not drops.

Gronks one handed miss was not a drop although he ran a bad route.

Those (as there are many drops and bad routes) are called receiver errors and not on the QB.

Get it?

Of course you don't.  Every single player drafted by BB in his tenure is the bestest, other than TB, that is.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

So, a rookie with talent, gets some reps and playing time along with film room and coaching and he is improving?  Wow, who woulda thunk it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

"Glass Half Empy" folks are out in force!  Enjoy the process.  The team is 6-2, likely will be 7-2 by the end of the week.  Next week's bye.  The walking wounded will heal and be back after the bye (except Vereen who will make his appearance in week 11).  QB's hand will heal, the number of overthrows and underthrows will decrease, the "dropped" passes will now be adroitly thrown and the untalented receivers will catch them easily.

Here's to a great second half, with a rising Dobson, Gronk, DA, Thompkins, Edelman!

Red Sox 2013 World Series Champions.  Patriots 2014 Super Bowl Champions???!!!

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In response to Uncle Rico's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

What? Really?

Game 1 = 0

Game 2 = 3 rec for 56 yards and 1 td

Game 3 = 7 rec for 52 yards

Game 4 = 1 rec for 10 yards

Game 5 = 2 rec for 49 yards

Game 6 = 6 rec for 63 yards

Game 7 = 3 rec for 34 yards

Game 8 = 4 rec for 60 yards

Aaron Dobson who, with eight drops and 26 catches, has the second-worst catch rate of all receivers. Poor Tom Terrific.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/30/signature-stats-drop-rate/

Also, look where Thompkins and Amendola are on the list.  8 weeks in ladies and gents and these are our wr's?  No excuses.   This is bad. 

[/QUOTE]

Here's an opinion that counts:

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4752410/belichick-high-on-dobson-more-bits

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He was always pegged as a project who needed a year to be the player he was going to be, but he is starting to show great progress. The sluggo against Miami he ran was a work of art; to beat a DB with a sluggo when the DB was already playing 5 yards off is impressive. 

The DB had to bite on the slant, a sign of good route running, and then the WR had to have the speed to beat that DB to the spot. 

It also takes a lot of trust from the QB for him to think the DB can make it there. What shows the trust that is starting to develop is the fact that Brady had pressure in his face and threw it with a hope and prayer.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Fans expectations of immediate contributions were unrealistic.  

[/QUOTE]

So, Terry Glenn and Stanley Morgan and others were flukes?

[/QUOTE]

Morgan had less catches in his rookie season than Dobson has now.

That is average. 

Terry Gleen had 90 catches for 1100+ yards. That is anomalous.

Some fans expectations were unrealistic. The vast majority of WRs have uneventful rookie seasons, and contribute only marginally to their team. 

My credentials? I've watched football my entire life and look at stats while doing so. 

Dr. Football.