Does anyone remember 2003?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Does anyone remember 2003?

I do, the Patriots lost to the Bills 31-0, but did win the Superbowl against the Panthers.  The point is people need to relax and stop bitching about the Patriots D.  This team is going to be great!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: Does anyone remember 2003?

Grogs makes a good point here, although the Pats actually got physically spanked in that 2003 game. Last night, the Pats missed several key opportunities, gave up a touchdown on offense and were victim to at least two horrendous official's decisions, yet still managed to cause the key turnover they needed to turn what appeared to be an embarassing loss into an improbable victory.

Ultimately, when push came to shove, Brady and the offense did exactly what we all have come to expect they will.

Personally, I expect the Pats to play much better, and very soon.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Does anyone remember 2003?:
    [QUOTE]I do, the Patriots lost to the Bills 31-0, but did win the Superbowl against the Panthers.  The point is people need to relax and stop bitching about the Patriots D.  This team is going to be great!
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

Grogan.. memories are short and so many are spoiled by the 2007 season.  If the Pats won the SB in the same fashion, true, we will see a lot of b*tch*n from fans everywhere, but, a win is a win.  There are no style points to change the outcome!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlemaslow. Show seattlemaslow's posts

I do. I was in Vegas to place a bet on the Pats winning it all. After losing my meager $20 on the Bills opener, I was so disgusted I didn't place the Super Bowl bet. Man I miss that $20...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Agreed. Realistically-speaking, we're also better off taking our lumps at the beginning (hopefully, still eking out victories) and growing as the season progresses. The 2007 season was an anomaly; you can't expect to play that way and win Super Bowls because it's just not very likely.

Belichick teams, in general, start slow and flourish as the season wears on. Again, we have to look past 2007...

Run game will get established. In fact, it'll thrive Sunday against the Jets' all-out attack. Defense will take some time to form its identity but expect it to be a fast, tough and most importantly, smart defense. Expect nothing short from Belichick.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to Re: Does anyone remember 2003?:
    [QUOTE].... Belichick teams, in general, start slow and flourish as the season wears on. Again, we have to look past 2007...
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

So true, apd.  Have we ever come out of a preseason thinking..  "man, this team is IT this year, WOW!"?  We have confidence with many questions and 2007 was not in the cards back then, wasn't it.  Just the hope the acquisition of Moss, with his baggage, would not derail the team that year.  Remember all the hype around that trade?  Also, how about last year?  Did you get a sense there was, somewhat, a sigh of relief the Pats didn't make the playoffs?  I'm not saying they could have won it, but, not too many teams wanted to face the Pats at that time of year given how they finished.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowtherabbit-. Show cowtherabbit-'s posts

I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride.Enjoy every game.Brady can't play forever and when he's gone it won't be the same.This is definitely a magic time for NE Pats fans.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride.Enjoy every game.Brady can't play forever and when he's gone it won't be the same.This is definitely a magic time for NE Pats fans.
    Posted by cowtherabbit-[/QUOTE]

Yes, cow, enjoy the ride!  I certainly am.  In this decade only six teams have won the SB, with the Pats leading the way with 3.  When fans from teams like the Cowboys, Chargers, Jets, Dolphins bring up the topic that the Pats last won a SB in 2004, at least we can say we won in this decade and appeared in another just a season ago, something they can't! There are a lot of Patriot haters out there for that reason and they live for every Pats' loss.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

I also remember that season as beaing a heart-attack every game because the Pats found some new way to make you wait to the last second before they'd win... that team found some way of stressing out the fan-base... wow.. even the SB was like that to the point I'm wondering if half the Pats fans even saw the 'wardrome malfunction' or if they were too crazy nuts in a corner in a panic... heh... yeah, I remember 2003.. good times...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

[QUOTE]I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride.Enjoy every game.Brady can't play forever and when he's gone it won't be the same.This is definitely a magic time for NE Pats fans.
    Posted by cowtherabbit-[/QUOTE]

Read this post over and over again, Pats fans.

When the chips were on the line, what did Brady and the offense do?

I'll be the first to admit it, when the Pats got the turnover and the touchdown they needed, the first thought I had (and if the game thread was still up, you could verify this) was that the Pats left too much time on the clock.

I was not at all sure the Pats defense would be able to hold the lead in the final minute, but when the Pats needed two touchdowns to win the damn thing, Tom and the offense went out there and got two touchdowns as if it were the easiest thing in the world.

One of these days we're gonna miss this guy.

Instead of b*tching and moaning about what is wrong, we should recognize that this is a special era for Pats fans (and Lord knows those of us who have been at this a while deserve it).

Brady rules.

Eat that, NFL!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

In Response to Does anyone remember 2003?:
    [QUOTE]I do, the Patriots lost to the Bills 31-0, but did win the Superbowl against the Panthers.  The point is people need to relax and stop bitching about the Patriots D.  This team is going to be great!
    Posted by Grogan77[/QUOTE]

The two have, less then, absolutely nothing in common.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Does anyone remember 2003? : The two have, less then, absolutely nothing in common.
    Posted by Kmax[/QUOTE]

C'mon now, max.

I like to deal in absolutes as much as anyone, but being a popular, effective team leader who was jettisoned in the waning moments before the start of the seaons IS something Milloy and Seymour share.

The games themselves (and the results) are not similar, but "less than absolutely nothing in common" simply isn't correct.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Does anyone remember 2003? : The two have, less then, absolutely nothing in common.
    Posted by Kmax[/QUOTE]

They both had Brady, which is all that matters.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does anyone remember 2003? : Read this post over and over again, Pats fans. When the chips were on the line, what did Brady and the offense do? I'll be the first to admit it, when the Pats got the turnover and the touchdown they needed, the first thought I had (and if the game thread was still up, you could verify this) was that the Pats left too much time on the clock. I was not at all sure the Pats defense would be able to hold the lead in the final minute, but when the Pats needed two touchdowns to win the damn thing, Tom and the offense went out there and got two touchdowns as if it were the easiest thing in the world. One of these days we're gonna miss this guy. Instead of b*tching and moaning about what is wrong, we should recognize that this is a special era for Pats fans (and Lord knows those of us who have been at this a while deserve it). Brady rules. Eat that, NFL!
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

That's right Prairiemike, no matter the mistakes Brady makes early in games, he almost always makes up for it in the end.  Last night was just another example of many for captain comeback.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Yeah, 2007 gave a lot of us completely unrealistic expectations.  The Pats in the championship years did not normally win big.  They usually won by a FG give or take a point.  The games were seldom locked up until the final seconds.  If you had a heart condition you could not watch their games.  They won the Lombardi with those teams though.  

The most encouraging sign I saw last night was players on our D doing fine Willie Mac imitations; making a big play when it really truly counted.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, 2007 gave a lot of us completely unrealistic expectations.  The Pats in the championship years did not normally win big.  They usually won by a FG give or take a point.  The games were seldom locked up until the final seconds.  If you had a heart condition you could not watch their games.  They won the Lombardi with those teams though.   The most encouraging sign I saw last night was players on our D doing fine Willie Mac imitations; making a big play when it really truly counted.
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

Yes, essentially, what we're looking at is a hybrid of two Patriots teams from two different eras. One era was Pre-Indy-2007. The other era was Post-Indy-2007. Belichick's still looking to find that balance while rotating veterans out and young, fresh players in.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stanwell. Show Stanwell's posts

I definitely remember 2003. Starting with the Milloy shock and ending when I phoned my dad after the Pats came through in the final seconds of the Superbowl. Right at the moment I'd say the Seymour shock probably had the most direct effect on the d's performance -- and Mayo's injury -- though it could also raise the pressure on our Great Expectations scorers Gostowski,  Brady, Moss.

My dad, by the way, never really cottoned to the performance of the Pats Dynasty teams. He preferred the big play, big scoring Colts. I'm hoping the Brady-Moss Pats will win him over.

"chance favors the prepared mind"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does anyone remember 2003? : C'mon now, max. I like to deal in absolutes as much as anyone, but being a popular, effective team leader who was jettisoned in the waning moments before the start of the seaons  IS something Milloy and Seymour share. The games themselves (and the results) are not similar, but "less than absolutely nothing in common" simply isn't correct.

Points for the subtle grammar correction.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE].... Personally, I expect the Pats to play much better, and very soon.

The offense will play better.  I think this defense has a long way to go and without Mayo will be in for some poor games, but should improve.  Buffalo is a bad team, maybe one of the three or four worst O-lines in football, and they pushed the Pats D-line and LBs around for three quarters.