Does Dan Shaughnessey Speak With Forked Tongue?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Does Dan Shaughnessey Speak With Forked Tongue?

He's a dope and I told him so at 2005 Spring Training. I thought he was going to soil his underpants when I confronted him.

Anyone who looks like Ronald McDonald on acid, should be questioned. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Nothing new there Pat. You are wrong though about his forked tongue since that would mean he speaks from his mouth. Dan speaks from a different orifice.

BB--Ronald McDonald on acid would probably write better articles

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

I noticed all these too but I was too infuriated to make a post about it without just bashing him the whole time.  I watch those 10.0 videos with him in them making that dumb face with his stupid hair cut and I just wanna smash my head through the computer screen.  What a deusche.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

In Response to Re: Does Dan Shaughnessey Speak With Forked Tongue?:
    [QUOTE]I noticed all these too but I was too infuriated to make a post about it without just bashing him the whole time.  I watch those 10.0 videos with him in them making that dumb face with his stupid hair cut and I just wanna smash my head through the computer screen.  What a deusche.
    Posted by JBonesky[/QUOTE]

Isn't watching  a 10.0 video of dan like watching paint dry.

Appologies to paint since paint knows more about sports than dan

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JBonesky. Show JBonesky's posts

So terrible!  You can tell they all have an agenda.  They may as well take the paper with what the producer wrote down for them to say on it and bring it in front of the camera and read it word for word for us.  Dan is the worst but a close second is the Shalise Young Chris Gasper combo, they are the perfect storm of bull sh*t

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

This is not surprising.  I stopped reading his stuff years ago because he stands for nothing.  He turns on the home town team in a heartbeat and will jump on the bandwagon just as quickly.  I always thought a reporter should be some sort of fan of the home town team.  Shaughnessey isn't.  It's a problem with the whole staff really. 

This board is about what a reporter should be like.  We have guys who stick to their guns on how they feel about the team.  A great example of this is you TexPat.  You have an opinion about the defense.  You write your reviews based on your pre-season opinions on the team.  Where does your opinion stand as the season progresses?  Basically, take a stand at the beginning of the season and write about it as the season wears on.  None of this wishy washy stuff.

Can you imagine if Shaughnessey was a person on this board?  He'd get his clocked cleaned by the guys here for his wafering!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Every column is an entity unto itself and nothing Shaughnessy said yesterday has any bearing on what he might say tomorrow. We live in a sound-bite world where columnists correctly estimate that most of their audience has the attention span of a weary three-year-old. You hear a lot about what a deushcebag Shaughnessy is around this site and you can bet  your boots and mittens he loves every last word of it. It's all about the hits, boys and girls, and if you hate it, that means you read it. A guy who prints his opinion for a living is always going to anger a certain segment of his readership, and if he should change his mind or -- more accurately -- cast his fortunes whichever way the wind blows, it's nothing more than the nature of the beast. We abide columnists the same way we abide cyber pseudo-tough guys. When the comic value of their idiocy wears off, we simply tolerate them as a requisite annoyance in an internet age that gives everyone the same voice.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"I always thought a reporter should be some sort of fan of the home town team.  Shaughnessey isn't.  It's a problem with the whole staff really."

Ok, let me preface this by saying that I'm not a fan of Shaughnessy and am not posting to defend his work. 

Having said that, I see posts like this all the time and they are way way off base.

First off, a reporter is supposed to be unbiased.  I don't know why so many of you want to read columns written by team cheerleaders.  That's not what a "reporter" is paid to do.  Do you really want to read happy fluff when the team deserves to be criticized??  I want to read someone that is knowledgeable and calls things as they see them.  There should be no positive or negative bias.

Secondly, Shaugnessy is a columnist, not a reporter.  Huge differenceHis job is not to report what has happened but to give his opinion or analysis on whatever the chosen topic is.

I agree that the Globe sports staff is pretty weak compared to some of its past writers.  However, I think it's stupid for bashing them because you don't agree with their opinion or especially because they're not "team friendly" enough.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]He's a dope and I told him so at 2005 Spring Training. I thought he was going to soil his underpants when I confronted him. Anyone who looks like Ronald McDonald on acid, should be questioned. 
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Elaborate on that!?  Did you shout out to him or walk into him?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

[QUOTE]"I always thought a reporter should be some sort of fan of the home town team.  Shaughnessey isn't.  It's a problem with the whole staff really." Ok, let me preface this by saying that I'm not a fan of Shaughnessy and am not posting to defend his work.  Having said that, I see posts like this all the time and they are way way off base. First off, a reporter is supposed to be unbiased .   I don't know why so many of you want to read columns written by team cheerleaders.  That's not what a "reporter" is paid to do.  Do you really want to read happy fluff when the team deserves to be criticized??  I want to read someone that is knowledgeable and calls things as they see them.  There should be no positive or negative bias. Secondly, Shaugnessy is a columnist, not a reporter.  Huge difference .  His job is not to report what has happened but to give his opinion or analysis on whatever the chosen topic is. I agree that the Globe sports staff is pretty weak compared to some of its past writers.  However, I think it's stupid for bashing them because you don't agree with their opinion or especially because they're not "team friendly" enough.
    Posted by siestafiesta[/QUOTE]

Apparently you didn't read all of my post.  You missed my whole point.  I don't expect nor want sunshine blown up my butt because some reporter or columnist is a fan.  There is an approach to this that I discussed in the previous post. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]"I always thought a reporter should be some sort of fan of the home town team.  Shaughnessey isn't.  It's a problem with the whole staff really."

RESPONSE: Agreed. Isn't the Globe still owned by the NY Times? Do you think that may have something to do with the locals seemingly going out of their way to go negative on the Pats? Or, is it Red Sox bias,,,striving to keep Boston a baseball town? Thoughts...anyone?

Ok, let me preface this by saying that I'm not a fan of Shaughnessy and am not posting to defend his work.  Having said that, I see posts like this all the time and they are way way off base. First off, a reporter is supposed to be unbiased .   I don't know why so many of you want to read columns written by team cheerleaders.  That's not what a "reporter" is paid to do.  Do you really want to read happy fluff when the team deserves to be criticized??  I want to read someone that is knowledgeable and calls things as they see them.  There should be no positive or negative bias.

RESPONSE: Agree that reporters should try to be objective, and call 'em as they see 'em. But, with Shaughnessey and his ilk, there always seems to be an agenda. This is one of the main reasons why newspapers everywhere are losing their readership.  

Secondly, Shaugnessy is a columnist, not a reporter.  Huge difference .  His job is not to report what has happened but to give his opinion or analysis on whatever the chosen topic is.

RESPONSE: It seems to me that a columnist, reporter, or whatever you want to call them, should strive to be credibable. Isn't it an insult to the intelligence of the readers for a columnist to take a firm position on something one week, and completely flip-flop the next? Fans who are like that are referred to as "fair weather" fans. Shaughnessey appears to be a fair weather columnist.   

I agree that the Globe sports staff is pretty weak compared to some of its past writers.  However, I think it's stupid for bashing them because you don't agree with their opinion or especially because they're not "team friendly" enough.

RESPONSE: It's fair to bash them for dishonesty, or for consistently adopting the ESPN take, whatever it may be.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Dan Shaughnessey Speak With Forked Tongue? :
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

RESPONSE: It seems to me that a columnist, reporter, or whatever you want to call them, should strive to be credible. Isn't it an insult to the intelligence of the readers for a columnist to take a firm position on something one week, and completely flip-flop the next? Fans who are like that are referred to as "fair weather" fans. Shaughnessey appears to be a fair weather columnist.   

I don't see the problem so much as "flip-flopping," wonks do that all the time and, under the best of circumstances, joke about it. A guy is allowed to change his mind when his take is shown to be retarded. The problem with Shaughnessy in this particular instance is that he's got the Jimmy legs. We've seen one game since he opined that the jettisoning of Randy Moss signaled a "lame duck" season and that is not a reliable sample from which to draw the conclusion that his original premise was wrong. Still, he's got inches to fill and he has to say something every week. All Shaughnessy really has to do to make his new opinion perfectly credible is to insert a qualifier like "What a difference a week makes" or "First looks can be deceiving" . . .   something like that. But Shaughnessy doesn't do this. As I mentioned in my first post, he simply pretends that his readers either don't remember the last thing he said on the subject or that he is above reproach in matters of his own opinion (which is true of everybody, when you think about it -- who knows more about your opinion than you?). This is simple arrogance, which would be unacceptable in a reporter -- as siestafiesta points out -- but is an occupational hazard with people who are paid to opine. The thing about columnists is that they're never right or wrong -- they're not reporting information, they're telling you what they think -- you simply agree with them, or you don't. When a guy starts wanting to have his cake and eat it, too -- as Shaughnessy is doing here -- is when astute readers (like garytx) will simply tune him out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Does Dan Shaughnessey Speak With Forked Tongue? : Elaborate on that!?  Did you shout out to him or walk into him?
    Posted by Getzo[/QUOTE]

It was on the concourse, towards the end of one of the games.

Actually, he must have stayed near our condo, too, because it seemed like every morning on the way to batting practice, we'd see him in his Mustang rental and we'd be in tears laughing at this chiahead goober with his mid life crisis rolling up and down the main drag in Fort Myers.

This was right after he made a huge deal out of the Mientkiewicz ball thing, where he acted like Mientkiewicz was trying to escape out of the country with the ball (final out of the 2004 WS).

He's a troublemaker.  That's what he is.  He's also a phony.  So, I looked right at him, called him Curly Haired Boyfriend (thank you Carl Everett) and told him to adjust his phony-meter a notch.

He scurried off like a girl with his gear and left the park.

I get  these guys need to generate hits on their blogs and all that, but their approach is terrible. And some of the writers here need to stick to only one or two sports instead of diluting the quality if the writing, writing about all of them.

What on earth is Gasper doing writing about hockey? Or Mazz, with the Pats? I'd bet money neither has played either sport, like, ever.

And, I KNOW Shaughnessy has never picked up a bat or glove either.  Bob Ryan has probably bounced a basketball at some point.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

[QUOTE]"I always thought a reporter should be some sort of fan of the home town team.  Shaughnessey isn't.  It's a problem with the whole staff really." Ok, let me preface this by saying that I'm not a fan of Shaughnessy and am not posting to defend his work.  Having said that, I see posts like this all the time and they are way way off base. First off, a reporter is supposed to be unbiased .   I don't know why so many of you want to read columns written by team cheerleaders.  That's not what a "reporter" is paid to do.  Do you really want to read happy fluff when the team deserves to be criticized??  I want to read someone that is knowledgeable and calls things as they see them.  There should be no positive or negative bias. Secondly, Shaugnessy is a columnist, not a reporter.  Huge difference .  His job is not to report what has happened but to give his opinion or analysis on whatever the chosen topic is. I agree that the Globe sports staff is pretty weak compared to some of its past writers.  However, I think it's stupid for bashing them because you don't agree with their opinion or especially because they're not "team friendly" enough.

I think you are confusing a news reporter with a sportswriter. All the old time great sportwriters were fans of the teams they reported on. They usually reported all the good stuff happening with the team and only reported negatively after a true scandal. Now you only get negativity and controversy from them to the point you would think the Pats should be in last place in the league if they should be in the league at all since they are so evil and wicked. It's no wonder the Red Sox fandom was down last year. Who would want to follow a horrible team like what has been portrayed in the press lately. I'm surprised the Pats still have sellouts with the way they have been portrayed in the press too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Yes, he's a serpent....  The guy was on Moss's case like forever, until he left and then Dano used the Moss departure to criticize the PATS and suggest that, well, basically that they would s_ _ k.  Typical stuff from this guy for whom, it is all about himself.  I wish he would actually write about the game instead of the soap opera.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, he's a serpent....  The guy was on Moss's case like forever, until he left and then Dano used the Moss departure to criticize the PATS and suggest that, well, basically that they would s_ _ k.  Typical stuff from this guy for whom, it is all about himself.  I wish he would actually write about the game instead of the soap opera.
    Posted by Dessalines[/QUOTE]

Further testament to the idea that Dan (and . . .  really, columnists in general) are less interested in making a valid point than they are in stirring up . . .

well . . .

you know.

Cool

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFutureNow. Show TheFutureNow's posts

Come on, you all shouldn't be surprised too much. Shaughnessy Gasper etc are not reporters -even according to the Globe organigram. They are listed as "personalities".

Might as well get your news from Lindsey Lohan or Paris Hilton...
    Blahh

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

Key word "KNOWLEDGEABLE"

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

He is showing that he would be a great politician.  He speaks out of both sides and says whatever is popular at the time.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

In Response to Does Dan Shaughnessey Speak With Forked Tongue?:
    [QUOTE]     This is what Shaughnessey had to say about the Patriots immediately after they traded Randy Moss: http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2010/10/07/flagging_this_misstep_as_delay_of_gain/?p1=Well_MostPop_Emailed2        Now compare and contrast that article with this one, written by Shaughnessey following the Pats' thrilling 23-20 OT time against the Ravens: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/dan_shaughnessy/10/17/pats. insider/index.html .      Does Dan speak with forked tongue? You be the judge. 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

After just one game its hard to say if the Moss trade was good or bad. Let's play 4-5 games...then make a judgement call.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE].... Can you imagine if Shaughnessey was a person on this board?  He'd get his clocked cleaned by the guys here for his wafering!

Posted by garytx[/QUOTE]

Maybe he is?  Let the speculation begin...