Does Mallett get traded this year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Re: Does Mallett get traded this year?

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Have you actually seen Mallett play?  He's not that good.  Granted it's only been preseason and he's been playing with 2's and 3's but that has no bearing on his poor passing Precision and Accuracy.  I just don't see any of the other teams valuing him any.

[/QUOTE]

Agree he can zip the ball, but has no idea were its going. Remember the rumor him for josh Gordon that was laughable. I don't care if Gordon has two strikes or not . If that GM did that he would not be the GM he would get one strike. will just keep him and fool ourselves that he is good.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to jjbag's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I"m doubting they let him go, he is an insurance policy. Do you all really want to see the following, we get a 3rd for Mallet, pick up a scrub in the 5th round and a washed out QB like brady quin or the like, Brady goes down and we are HOSED..

I prefer to keep Mallet for another year and use a 1st next year on a Brady heir apparent.

[/QUOTE]

This is the counter to the above: Are they winning a championship with Mallett? If you think they are, then the above argument matters. If not, then it just doesn't matter who the backup is.

Besides, I'd go out and grab Cassell. He's the perfect backup for this team. 

[/QUOTE]

Agree but at what cost . The dreaded cap . I like cassell as the backup as well. Just don't see it happening .

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why in the world would anybody give anything decent for Mallet? Because some homers here claim he's good?

[/QUOTE]

If you can get a 5 th rounder I do it . Then package it for a 7 th rounder then a 6 th rounder for the following year. It's called value babe stock piling picks. I am only kidding but to funny to pass up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mthurl's comment:

[QUOTE]

I can't see anyone ponying up anything of value for the guy at this point...gm's can't go around handing over 2nd round picks for qb's that have been in the league three years and done nothing...not unless they want to be fired. I wish we were able to get something for this guy last year.

[/QUOTE]

What was he supposed to do in those 3 years behind Brady?

As opposed to spending a 1st on guys like Matt Leinart, Patrick Ramsey, Brady Quinn, Kyle Boller, J P Losman, Tommy Maddox, Vince Young, David Carr, Joey harrington, Jim Druckenmiller, Tim Couch, Cade McNown, Akili Smith, JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf  and I'm sure the many more i missed.

If you are evaluating the class of QB's coming out this year against Malletts resume at Arkansas and in NE tell me what seperates someone like Bridgewater at Louisville this year and Mallett. For me it was malletts maturity and if he didn't progress in that area BB would have got rid of him long ago. I would agree that a second might be out of the question but if I am a team in desperate need of a QB I would rather spend a 3rd or 4th and gamble on a 1st round talent who has tutored under one of the best QB's all time than gamble a 1st on a QB that could turn out like one of the QB's on my list. 

[/QUOTE]

What was he supposed to do in the three years behind Brady? How about not throw balls at receiver's feet in preseason games? Of how about not sail balls over receivers heads in preseason games? Or how about extend drives? Or show some consistency/improvement?

I know it's preseason games...I know he's in there with the backups, but the guy is also facing backups...it evens things out a little bit. The guy has a strong arm...guess what? A lot of QBs in the NFL do. The guy was successful in college and didn't get drafted as high as some experts thought...guess what? That describes almost every guy ever drafted that didn't go in the first round.

And the difference between giving a pick for Mallet vs. all those quaterbacks you mentioned is this - Mallet was a third round pick - the guys you mentioned were rookies who weren't already drafted by another team and had done nothing in their three year career. Any GM that gives the Patriots more than a third for him is risking their job if that doesn't work out, because they will be handing a higher pick than the guy was drafted at...without that guy ever showing a thing that would warrant it in the NFL. That's a big big risk for any GM.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

If a team calls for a 4th, 5th or even 6th for him I say do it.

go sign Cassel, proven in this system. sucks that if you cant get a 3rd back for him it was wasted pick maybe...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

I sort of thought that mallet looked better after he was in for awhile

he does have a real strong arm, he has been getting great coaching, we don't see the practices or how he has been in the class room, and has been good at playing the next weeks qb

there are only maybe two teams that know what mallet is, hou and cle?

And Bb knows what mallet is.

I wouldn't trade Mallett,for less than a three. And having cassell lined up

What no one knows about Mallett is does he have"it" during crunch time

If Brady goes down our chances go down, But most here will still find someone to blame for not winning the SB lol. 

but I think mallet this our best shot to win without TB. And how many here were predicting that the 6 th round second yr Qb was going to win the SB , 3 times and then come close twice?

i don't like any of the college Qbs, most are smallish. I don't see Wilson , luck, cam, Kaep

Or rg3.  BUT THE MORE WBS WHO GO ESRLY, THE BETTER PICK WE GET

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

No

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]

I"m doubting they let him go, he is an insurance policy. Do you all really want to see the following, we get a 3rd for Mallet, pick up a scrub in the 5th round and a washed out QB like brady quin or the like, Brady goes down and we are HOSED..

I prefer to keep Mallet for another year and use a 1st next year on a Brady heir apparent.

[/QUOTE]

If Brady goes down it won't matter who is behind him. Cassel in 08 benefitted from an easy schedule. I don't see mallett taking the pats to an 11-5 record. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is the counter to the above: Are they winning a championship with Mallett? If you think they are, then the above argument matters. If not, then it just doesn't matter who the backup is.

Besides, I'd go out and grab Cassell. He's the perfect backup for this team. 

[/QUOTE]

Agree but at what cost . The dreaded cap . I like cassell as the backup as well. Just don't see it happening .

[/QUOTE]

He's not going to get big money from anyone. My guess is vet minimum or just a little higher.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It's now or never. I suppose he could resign, but it would seem unlikely he's content with no shot at starting for however long 12 is there, which could be three or more years.

It helps that the draft is very weak for QBs and at least six or seven teams in need. 

[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this

except this year is actually a pretty strong draft for QB's. Last year was a very weak draft for QB's. Last year was the year to sell if we could have. A large number of teams looking for a QB and basically no good ones in the draft or FA. This year though there is Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles, and Carr who are most likely 1st round picks with Boyd and Mettenberger as fringe 1st 2nd round picks. 5 QB's in the first 2 rounds means that no one will offer a 2nd for Mallett unless they have connection with him (ie O'Brien in Hou). But, even still I think the best we can get is Hou's 3rd

[/QUOTE]

I'd be happy with Houston's third.

You know way more draft-wise than me, I don't watch much college ball. Just going by what I've heard. Which is there's no franchise guy, all have major questions.

I know this, if I'm at the top of the draft, am I taking Johnny Football? Heck no. I saw enough of him to steer well clear. Maybe if he fell to the third round somehow...Bridgewater looks like a bag of bones, really slight. That doesn't mean he can't play just worry about durability. Bortles, I have no idea. Ditto Carr (although the bloodlines give me pause). Never heard of the rest of them.

Are any of them franchise guys, possibly?

[/QUOTE]

u do remember some guy named Brady was drafted in the 6th round?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

The love for this guy was impressive last summer.

I asked the group why people thought he held value.  Plenty of "I read this about him online" responses filled the thread and (as is common) my knowledge of the game was up for grabs.

Then Mallett got some playing time.

And that was the end of that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

He should stay right where is, make a nice living and hope Brady doesnt get hurt. Those should be words to live by for just about every back up quarterback. Worse thing that ever happens to them is playing time, because for every Brett Favre, theres a thousand Glen Foleys.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I can't see anyone ponying up anything of value for the guy at this point...gm's can't go around handing over 2nd round picks for qb's that have been in the league three years and done nothing...not unless they want to be fired. I wish we were able to get something for this guy last year.

[/QUOTE]

What was he supposed to do in those 3 years behind Brady?

As opposed to spending a 1st on guys like Matt Leinart, Patrick Ramsey, Brady Quinn, Kyle Boller, J P Losman, Tommy Maddox, Vince Young, David Carr, Joey harrington, Jim Druckenmiller, Tim Couch, Cade McNown, Akili Smith, JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf  and I'm sure the many more i missed.

If you are evaluating the class of QB's coming out this year against Malletts resume at Arkansas and in NE tell me what seperates someone like Bridgewater at Louisville this year and Mallett. For me it was malletts maturity and if he didn't progress in that area BB would have got rid of him long ago. I would agree that a second might be out of the question but if I am a team in desperate need of a QB I would rather spend a 3rd or 4th and gamble on a 1st round talent who has tutored under one of the best QB's all time than gamble a 1st on a QB that could turn out like one of the QB's on my list. 

[/QUOTE]

What was he supposed to do in the three years behind Brady? How about not throw balls at receiver's feet in preseason games? Of how about not sail balls over receivers heads in preseason games? Or how about extend drives? Or show some consistency/improvement?

I know it's preseason games...I know he's in there with the backups, but the guy is also facing backups...it evens things out a little bit. The guy has a strong arm...guess what? A lot of QBs in the NFL do. The guy was successful in college and didn't get drafted as high as some experts thought...guess what? That describes almost every guy ever drafted that didn't go in the first round.

And the difference between giving a pick for Mallet vs. all those quaterbacks you mentioned is this - Mallet was a third round pick - the guys you mentioned were rookies who weren't already drafted by another team and had done nothing in their three year career. Any GM that gives the Patriots more than a third for him is risking their job if that doesn't work out, because they will be handing a higher pick than the guy was drafted at...without that guy ever showing a thing that would warrant it in the NFL. That's a big big risk for any GM.

[/QUOTE]

Mallett was graded a 1st round talent in that draft. Being an immature punk cost him to fall to the 3rd round not talent. All reports out of foxboro say the kid has cleaned up his act and has gone above and beyond putting in the work he needs to.

To your point about GM's and risking a 3rd versus a 1st... I would rather risk a 3rd on a player who has the same college pedigree or perhaps a better one than any QB coming out in this years draft. For my money there aren't any Andrew Lucks in this years draft or for that matter Russell Wilsons. Tedy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles, Manziel and the rest of the QB class in my opinion does not have the same hit probability that Luck or the others had 2 years ago. If we are talking risk on the unknown I would prefer to spend my 1st round pick on a known commodity and risk the 3rd round pick on the QB. For my money missing on  1st round QB ends up setting your franchise back  a very long time... see Jax, Oak. Personally I prefer they keep him as an insurance policy. My point was I believe there is value with him or they would have  jettisoned him by now. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Why not trade 37-year old Tom to Houston for #1 pick, let Mallett operate until we get our new rookie stud of an athletic QB schooled up and rollin'? I know, I know......."Are you a CRAZY IDIOT, RallyC???!" .............Fact is, if it were simply about whats best for the long term health and success of the franchise, then this would be the right move.......I get the legacy and loyalty and the fact that Tom has one more legit year at the top left. BUT that legit shot is not guaranteed as we saw some holes in his game get bigger last season. I love him, but at this point, I say we should leave him to O'Brien and move to the next generation of the NE Patriots dominant run. Problem is, even if Bill wanted to do this, Bill O. may not be willling to take our Tommy at 37 and declining.....or Tom may threaten to retire in order to kill any such deal too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Whoa. I did see a lot of Mallett in camp this year. He was outstanding. I am not going to throw a talent like this away based on a preseason game when he was playing with a bunch of rookies and 2's and 3's. He can make every throw. He knows this system very well. If TB goes down, Mallett can step in and win games, there is no doubt in my mind.

Pats are paying Mallett, what, $700k?

Cassell just opted out in Minny for what, $3M? So Cassell is feeling he can get money on the open market, no doubt.

I don't think Mallett is leaving here next year for $$$. I think he is leaving for a chance to play, and prove he deserves $$$. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Been wanting McCarron for 2 years, mirror image to Brady in the way he plays. Love to steal him in this Draft.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OutofTownPATS Fan. Show OutofTownPATS Fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

think we will have more needs @ 1st rd selection next year than a QB

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Whoa. I did see a lot of Mallett in camp this year. He was outstanding. I am not going to throw a talent like this away based on a preseason game when he was playing with a bunch of rookies and 2's and 3's. He can make every throw. He knows this system very well. If TB goes down, Mallett can step in and win games, there is no doubt in my mind.

Cassell just opted out in Minny for what, $3M? So Cassell is feeling he can get money on the open market, no doubt.

I don't think Mallett is leaving here next year for $$$. I think he is leaving for a chance to play, and prove he deserves $$$. 

[/QUOTE]
    +1
    Cassell will cost $$$ and cap space we will need to sign guys with so there is little chance we pay Cassell in light of this. It makes no sense to dump Mallet for a 3rd when he is the only backup we have. Mallet stays unless something very unexpected happens in the draft. 

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cassell must be deluded if he thinks that. He's a backup. Nobody's bringing him in to start.  

I agree re Mallett, problem is he's gone after this year so they need to get something for him now.  Or not and be satisfied with a compensatory pick, which will be low (or nil) for a guy with no stats. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

[QUOTE]

call me crazy (many here do) but I did not see hardly any evidence of regression in TB this year. he certainly has a good 2-4 years at top level IMO.

I saw a stat on TB the other day, wish I remembered it completely, but he had 70 throws of 20 plus yards, of which 55 were misses, but of those 55, 9 were dropped, and 40 plus were deemed WR at fault on pattern/adjustment/read....something like that anyways.

I am disappointed the PAts were never able to establish value in Mallett. I saw a great talent in the summer, that if TB went down, I would feel a lot better than I was with Cassell...but I see no way the PAts pay him, and he stays after his contract. makes drafting a QB a decent priority this year

I really did not want to "waste" a draft choice of need on a CB (assuming Talib is not signed) and a QB, because after Mallett there is nothing. much prefer the draft address TE, both lines and S, not CB and QB 

[/QUOTE]

unless they improve the offensive line there is going to be more regression on bradys part this year. bradys an excellent qb but too slow to get out of his own way. he must have protection and receivers that can get open quickly or its a sack. there were too many drives that were killed because of him being sacked imo.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Why in the world would anybody give anything decent for Mallet? Because some homers here claim he's good?

[/QUOTE]

maybe a fourth or fith round pick. to think a team is going to give up a first round pick for him is delusional. he has been bad during his limited playing time. that said he may be better than what hes shown because hes out there with scrubs and no offensive line.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The weakness on this team is the interior line, mainly center. If they just don't re-sign Wendell and move Connolly to center then they have to either move Cannon into the RG position or bring in another guy. They could give Braxton Cave a shot at the Centers job or they can give Kline a shot at the Guard slot. As for the question at hand does Mallett get traded or not? That would more than likely depend on what's offered and by whom. I doubt the Patriots will trade within the Eastern Conference so that would leave both Houston and Cleveland as possible's. I think Minnesota might be on the list also and you can always include Oakland. It would be my guess it will take more than one draft choice to pry Mallett away from the Patriots and the bidding starts at a 2nd round choice and then if there is more than one team it will depend on what other assets they are willing to part with. We all know that BB will be trying to get back the 5th round pick he sent to Philly for Sopoaga, that would be the extra pick starting point as far as the second pick.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Cassell must be deluded if he thinks that. He's a backup. Nobody's bringing him in to start.  

I agree re Mallett, problem is he's gone after this year so they need to get something for him now.  Or not and be satisfied with a compensatory pick, which will be low (or nil) for a guy with no stats. 

[/QUOTE]

I also was surprised with Cassells move. His contract with Minny was going to be $3.7M, and he had a shot at starting and Norv is now the OC, right? Cassell had a shot to play well, and then sign a big contract some where. I have to assume either Minny gave his agent a heads up they are drafting a QB in round 1, or some other team has let him know that they have interest in bringing him in to compete for the #1 spot (Jets?)