Does Matt Light return this week?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Does Matt Light return this week?

He's listed as questionable which basically means nothing but we could really use an upgrade at RT this week and beyond. The saints play two stud DEs, like the colts, and kazur looked like a revolving door once again last week. we just need more horsepower and pass blocking on that right side.

Either volmer or light moving into that RT spot would be a big plus for both the running game and pass protection. No disrespect, I'm sure kazur is doing his best but I believe he's a career backup and i'm hoping to see him riding pine ASAP. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

Re: Does Matt Light return this week?

In Response to Does Matt Light return this week?:
    [QUOTE]He's listed as questionable which basically means nothing but we could really use an upgrade at RT this week and beyond. The saints play two stud DEs, like the colts, and kazur looked like a revolving door once again last week. we just need more horsepower and pass blocking on that right side. Either volmer or light moving into that RT spot would be a big plus for both the running game and pass protection. No disrespect, I'm sure kazur is doing his best but I believe he's a career backup and i'm hoping to see him riding pine ASAP. 
    Posted by unclealfie[/QUOTE]
    YEP! and he should be startg as vollmer goes bak to his old role. u dont want to touch the original, long-running/experienced startg  OL right now. however, if kaczur is being moved around like he's on skates again as with indy, u just move vollmer over there for most of the game. let's see what happens as the game unfolds. next year, kaczur goes to the bench or slides over to RG as Neal will likely not be re-signed, as light slides to RT and vollmer to LT with lavoir as the T-backup or in the LG startg mix with Rich O-berger as i do not see mankins being resigned!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from flip781. Show flip781's posts

We need him against the Saints  if we are to score consistantly enough to stay with the Saints.......we need a serious up-grade at right tackle.....whether it be Light or Vollmer !!    Kaczur's feet are far too slow to be an effective tackle...He is better suited on the inside of the offensive line...It was never so glaring as in the Indy game !!! Neal's game lately is sub-standard so let try Kaczur at the guard spot.... It got to the point that Brady was screaming at him after the20th time being racked to the ground by Mathis early in the 4th quarter !! I positively agree with Uncle Alfie Kaczur is  definetly the weak link in that offensive line week after week !! What isworse making a change now at right tackle or later at quarterback ?? Kczur's play is going to get Brady hurt if this continues !!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I couldn't help but notice that old friend Nick Kaczur didn't get singled out as the "weakest link" until SeaBass stood up on the other side and teams started targeting  the right side because trying to come in the back door wasn't working. Look, I'm not saying Kaczur is any great shakes at his position, but aren't you guys the "In Bill We Trust" brigade?

Don't you think that, if there was a better option, the Pats would exercise it?

I'm not a football coach (and I don't even pretend to be one on the occasional internet chat forum), but I'm thinking that at the NFL level, it's not a simple matter of saying, "Okay left tackle, why don't you go over there and play right guard for a while."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Kaczur has clearly been manhandled worse than Light. I'd rather try Light at Kaczur's position and see if he can hold up better. Clearly Seabass is a find. Once thing is clear, they will draft a tackle this year probably more highly than they normally draft the o-line. 

When Light and Kaczur were both in there Kaczur wasn't singled out as much as the weakest link because defenses were finding ways around Light several times a game. They had no need to pick Kaczur's side over Lights. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I wonder if Vollmer will play Monday?  He had a head injury (probably mild concussion) in the Jets game and I know he came back in, but he's been missing practice and maybe the doctors will want to hold him out.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from flip781. Show flip781's posts

In Response to Re: Does Matt Light return this week?:
    [QUOTE]I couldn't help but notice that old friend Nick Kaczur didn't get singled out as the "weakest link" until SeaBass stood up on the other side and teams started targeting  the right side because trying to come in the back door wasn't working. Look, I'm not saying Kaczur is any great shakes at his position, but aren't you guys the "In Bill We Trust" brigade? Don't you think that, if there was a better option, the Pats would exercise it? I'm not a football coach (and I don't even pretend to be one on the occasional internet chat forum), but I'm thinking that at the NFL level, it's not a simple matter of saying, "Okay left tackle, why don't you go over there and play right guard for a while."
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE] First B.B has many times stated that his linemen can play more than one position !! Secondly if you bother to watch the game you will notice who let Mathis OWN him in the Indy game !! This also is far from a isolated  incident with Kaczur!! Prior to Vollmer's performance in the Indy game they didn't feel they had a adequit replacement that could play the position better than Kaczur !! No one on this forum is trying to take Scarneccia's place....I thought this forum was about expressing your opinion !!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbakilla. Show bubbakilla's posts

i think the biggest difference with sea bass in there is in the running game. thats something belichick has pointed out indirectly in his eei interviews the ppast few weeks. ask him about y LM stinks and he says he cant see the holes being open for him or most of the running baks in general. the reason they pass so much is because thats all they do well. sea bass proved he can do more than that. perhaps bill will surprise me and do what he's done with shawn springs and others by emphasizg no-names on special teams like arrington and the other practice squadder starring there, by keepg vollmer there. he is the best we have as of right now. politics and bind loyalty ideally should not come up but.... best for team on field-performance would mean keepg vollmer where he is, moving light to RT, having kaczur get on inactive list for a while as levoir is betta as a bakup right now for he also plays TE. i do think maybe kaczur has played all the Ol positions however, real keys are neal and mankins for this year. if healthy, we're set for rest of year!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AdrenalineJunkie. Show AdrenalineJunkie's posts

The Pats tried Light on the right in 2001, which didn't work out too well, and BB has said it several times when asked, that he is better on the left. Vollmer seems to have more flexibility, so it would be more likely that he is the one who is put on the right and Light would be on the left...

Then again, BB is not exactly predictable in what he does, but it just seems that people keep saying that Light should be moved to RT, and BB keeps saying that that is not his strong suit.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]I couldn't help but notice that old friend Nick Kaczur didn't get singled out as the "weakest link" until SeaBass stood up on the other side and teams started targeting  the right side because trying to come in the back door wasn't working. Look, I'm not saying Kaczur is any great shakes at his position, but aren't you guys the "In Bill We Trust" brigade? Don't you think that, if there was a better option, the Pats would exercise it? I'm not a football coach (and I don't even pretend to be one on the occasional internet chat forum), but I'm thinking that at the NFL level, it's not a simple matter of saying, "Okay left tackle, why don't you go over there and play right guard for a while."
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Mike, I agree. Its nearly impossible for a tackle to jump in and play guard, without experience. That's for next pre-season. Neither is it advisable to move an inexperienced RT to LT or vice-versa. That's why I said either light or volmer should step into kazur's place, meaning the one who has the experience and/or versatility to play RT. The other plays LT. Obviously they both have the skills and experience to play LT and I believe either could play RT much better than kazur.

I'm normally not one to second guess BB. But, while light has been injured hasn't had any options on the OLine. Now that light is nearly ready to come back and volmer has shown he can play with the big boys, he does. There seems  to be a real opportunity to upgrade RT and I'm hoping he decides to make the switch.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I guess I'm just standing up for Kaczur out of some kind of knee-jerk reaction in defense of the fall guy. Everybody around here seems to hate him Oliver Sudden, and I feel bad for the guy.

Of course, that doesn't really explain why I continue to hate Chris Hanson, who s*cks at what he does way more than Kaczur s*cks at what he does.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3860569. Show user_3860569's posts

I would not mind it, but put Light at RT and keep Vollmer at LT he is doing great. Don't start  Kaczur he seems to be the weak link on the O-Line. I definatly hope Jarvis Green can play.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

You can voice your opinions, and of course your opinions cannot be wrong, but they still can be slightly misinformed. Right now Kazcur is our best RT. Nobody can say otherwise. Light is not suited to play RT as he does not seem to fit the mold of a RT. LTs tend to have quick feet more to "cover" speed rushers off the blind side. RTs need to open holes up and move players, as most teams run right more often than left. Don`t really think Light is strong enough to handle this task. He was tried out as a RT I believe and it didn`t look pretty from what I remember. Now, maybe because we seem to pass 70% of the time Light would be better suited than Kazcur, but don't complain when our run game is lacking even more than it already is.

As for Vollmer, don`t know if hes is better than Kazcur at the RT spot because we have not seen him play there with the first unit. He looks good at run blocking on the left side so far but typically your LE is a better run defender than your RE. (Your LE plays over the RT) So, we do not know how he would matchup on the right side. I think the transition would be smooth because I remember Bill saying early on it is not often you get a T that can play both right and left like Vollmer can.

So, let`s say we now we have Light back at LT and try Vollmer out at RT. Things work out well, so we should move Kazcur inside to RG and bench Neal...Who on this forum knows if Kazcur can play G? Is he fast enough to pull to the left on sweeps? Is he strong enough to take on DT one on one? DTs in a 4-3 can weigh up to 50 lbs more than DE. How long before he becomes comfortable in his new position?

If we bench Kazcur and have Vollmer start at RT, this could be interesting, because in the offseason we could be seeing a draft pick or two come back at us in the way of a trade. Light would demand something and Kazcur is a serviceable RT who just signed an extension, making it easier for a team to pick him up.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuntonFirstDown. Show PuntonFirstDown's posts

Kaczur seems more sutiable for guard. Does that seem possible?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

[QUOTE]Kaczur seems more sutiable for guard. Does that seem possible?
    Posted by PuntonFirstDown[/QUOTE]

The only problem I have with converting Ts to Gs is that most guards excel in run blocking over pass blocking. They tend to be a bit stronger and tougher, ie. taking on DTs over DEs. Can Kazcur do it? I don't know. Is he tough enough to take on DT? Can he pull on sweeps and stretch plays to block for RBs? Again, I don't know the answer to this because I don't get to coach him.

Don't know why people are down on Neal. Seems to me he is a good run and pass blocker. The only problem I have is his ability to stay on the field. I believe when healthy our run game is much better.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriot54too. Show patriot54too's posts

Hey, there are a lot of good opinions here.  But, none of them matter in the sense that BB not only has the experience and knowledge, but also the responsiblity and authority to make the best football decision.  I endorse his decision.  Kaczur is much better than you guys give him credit.  If you get beat twice out of 50 plays, this should make you all bad.  Pleeeeeeeeeeeeze.  In some of those instances, the coaches credited the bad block or lack thereof to a TE or RB because of the assignment and alignment.  If Kaczur was even 10% as bad as some wannabe GM's on here say, "don't you think BB could see what you see"?

Ya' we need your idiotic input!  Uh, huh!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

The Patriots haven't been able to run to the right side so I don't think Kaz adds much there. The need right now is to stop someone coming around the edge and Kazcur looks helpless. When you have to send your running back to help out your right tackle instead of the left tackle you have a problem. 

It probably depends on who is playing the end. Indy has two outstanding rushers. Most teams don't have that, so Kazcur is probably fine in those games. Against teams with two good outside rushers I'd rather see Kaz benched. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from John413. Show John413's posts

What is a "run"? 

I've seen archival film of Corey Dillon carrying the football in his arms past the line of scrimmage, but I thought that Pats outlawed that formation in 2007, and I haven't seen it since.