Does Tebow Deserve To Be On The Patriots?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

Does Tebow Deserve To Be On The Patriots?

Has Tebow earned a spot on the Patriots?

http://www.boston.com/blogs/sports/columnists/kaufman/2013/08/done_deal_tim_tebow_will_break_camp_with_patriots.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: Does Tebow Deserve To Be On The Patriots?

We've heard this all before but what they glance over is how bad he's been. So what if they ran the pistol with Tebow, it's the only thing he's good at and he's not even good at that either. I loved the column that once said Tebow is a lock to make the team because his arm was so bad that they wouldn't keep him on to be a practice QB. I mean come on really? The reasoning is that he's so bad he has to make the team? That's essentially what this article says in reality. What kind of backwards logic is that? 

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

How many guys are not given a chance because he's taking up a valuable spot on the team. I just don't understand why he's here, it's not because he s a talented quarterback. Would Brady had made the team if he had performed like Tebow has.  If Kraft is keeping him (and I think he has the most to say in this) to help the Patriots image, shame on him.  He's using him. When is someone going  to tell him to give up the idea of an NFL career, move on to help the world become a better place. The sad part is his college winnings ways are fading, and fans are going to remember his failure in the NFL.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

No, he doesn't deserve to be there. That doesn't mean he won't be there, though. I think there is more than talent that will decide if he is on the roster or not.

McD likes him, he sells t-shirts, and he draws attention away from the team, which I think BB likes - though some of the other players may not like it.

But in terms of him contributing to the team, I don't see it. Even if they are not sold on Mallet, and want to carry a third QB for the season, is there really nobody else out there who can complete more than 20% of the passes?

He hasn't practised with the TEs, he hasn't shown anything in practice, nothing special in the first pre-season game. His claim to a roster spot would be, that in the case Brady goes down, he can take over and weave his magic, and "just win".

I believe more in talent than in TT-magic. I would ten times rather leave the offense in the hands of Mallet (despite his underwhelming pre-season) than I would trust TT to drive the Ferrari.

Supra societatem nemo

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I don't see the value of keeping him over someone with upside. If his throwing mechanics were in the process of changing then you MIGHT be able to make a case. But I just do not see it.

Still, it is the coach who decides and I don't generally second guess his roster decisions.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to DanishPastry's comment:

McD likes him, he sells t-shirts, and he draws attention away from the team, which I think BB likes - though some of the other players may not like it.

I agree that Josh likes hime...heck he drafted him with a 1st.

I don't agree that BB would waste a roster spot to sell t-shirts and deflect the media. Pretty sure t-shirt sales are fine, and does anyone deflect the media better than BB?

Why he's here is a mystery that we may never truly know why....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

It's odd that they're keeping him, but there certainly is a reason.

Maybe they're going to move Mallett.  I'd rather see Tebow on the sidelines than Mallett with a ten billion dollar franchise tag.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm also puzzled as to why this guy is here.  I recognize that Josh McD likes him but, in the final analysis, as tanbass indicated, I simply don't see BB keeping him unless he can make the Pats a better football team.  To this point, I don't see anything that he's done to do that except act as another arm in camp.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

In response to tanbass's comment:

In response to DanishPastry's comment:

I agree that Josh likes hime...heck he drafted him with a 1st.

I don't agree that BB would waste a roster spot to sell t-shirts and deflect the media. Pretty sure t-shirt sales are fine, and does anyone deflect the media better than BB?

Why he's here is a mystery that we may never truly know why....

You're right, of course. It's just that I don't get it, and those are the (possible) reasons I can imagine.

In the end I don't think he makes the 53 man roster. If he does, I'll feel sorry for the TE (Fells maybe?) or RB (Bolden maybe?) who misses the chance to actually contribute.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

Very simply... NO

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

If BB thinks so, then yeah. He deserves to be on this team just as much as Slater belongs on this team. It's not like the guy is making QB money or anything. He isn't! TT actually has the ability to have an effect on more plays than Slater but no one seems to want to explore that!

I just don't understand the hate I guess. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to NEGAME2's comment:

How many guys are not given a chance because he's taking up a valuable spot on the team. I just don't understand why he's here, it's not because he s a talented quarterback. Would Brady had made the team if he had performed like Tebow has.  If Kraft is keeping him (and I think he has the most to say in this) to help the Patriots image, shame on him.  He's using him. When is someone going  to tell him to give up the idea of an NFL career, move on to help the world become a better place. The sad part is his college winnings ways are fading, and fans are going to remember his failure in the NFL.

Very well said.  I agree 100%.  There are a lot of much more talented players and QBs who are looking for work right now while #5 is holding down a roster spot and performing in a manner that should get him cut.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to NEGAME2's comment:

Why would he give up on his NFL career?  He's on an NFL team.  He's on an awesome NFL team.  You think he should give up his dreams, throw away his entire life's work, because some fans think he isn't very good at his job?

Absurd.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

1) the Pats LOVE Mallett and think he has a big future in the NFL

2) Tebow makes the team if BB feels the team is better with Tebow on it. It remains to be seen, as this will play out during training camp. I agree, if Tebow does make the roster, it will be at the expense of a 4th TE, 5th RB, 6th S, or 8th OL.

3) The team can only dress 45 on game day plus an emergency QB. So if Tebow does make the team, it would be at the expense of some one that most likely does not play, and Tebow is that emergency 46th guy

4) I firmly believe that Kraft is not part of the decision process on the roster, including Tebow.

5) I also firmly believe we the public have not seen anything in practice or in the Eagles game that would give us any idea of how BB would like to use TT. If TT shows BB over the next few weeks that he can carry out BB's plans, he will make the team, and some like Cole, Fells/Hooman or Blount will not

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanishPastry. Show DanishPastry's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

1) the Pats LOVE Mallett and think he has a big future in the NFL

2) Tebow makes the team if BB feels the team is better with Tebow on it. It remains to be seen, as this will play out during training camp. I agree, if Tebow does make the roster, it will be at the expense of a 4th TE, 5th RB, 6th S, or 8th OL.

3) The team can only dress 45 on game day plus an emergency QB. So if Tebow does make the team, it would be at the expense of some one that most likely does not play, and Tebow is that emergency 46th guy

4) I firmly believe that Kraft is not part of the decision process on the roster, including Tebow.

5) I also firmly believe we the public have not seen anything in practice or in the Eagles game that would give us any idea of how BB would like to use TT. If TT shows BB over the next few weeks that he can carry out BB's plans, he will make the team, and some like Cole, Fells/Hooman or Blount will not

I agree for the most part. I'm somewhat sceptical on the secret plans from the practises that are not open to the public. I remember the buzz from last year about how the Jets were planning to use him as a secret, redzone weapon, and how it was all going to blow the socks off the rest of the league.

No doubt there are things they don't show the public - of course. But I'm not optimistic about Tebow as an "offensive weapon".

In general I'm sceptical towards carrying a 3rd QB, when other fringe players, eg. Blount/Bolden, or Fells/Whoman could be kept.

But then again. By my logic they wouldn't have carried a 4th QB back in 2000, so maybe it's just as well that I'm not making the decisions. Time, and BB, will tell if Tebow makes the team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

This is correct except that they don't have an emergency QB anymore to my knowledge. I think they did away with that and just made it 46 active. But the point is the same. That is, you can only dress 46, so he doesn't take away from anybody's PT unless he's active. If he's active, then they have a plan to actually use him in the game because they aren't going to have 2 active backup QBs.

The larger point though, is that this whole discussion is premature. They need 3 QBs in camp to handle all the reps and to get through the preseason games. So, if they cut Tebow they'd need to bring in another QB. You cut your third QB (if that's the plan) at the end of camp, not now. 

If Tebow was cut last week, Brady would have had to play basically the whole game against Philly. Look at any team's roster right now, they all have more than two QBs. It's a must.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

If BB thinks so, then yeah. He deserves to be on this team just as much as Slater belongs on this team. It's not like the guy is making QB money or anything. He isn't! TT actually has the ability to have an effect on more plays than Slater but no one seems to want to explore that!

It has nothing to do with hate... He is a less than mediocre QB who at best is a 3rd string QB who wouldn't dress for the majority of the games. For my money I think carrying an extra OL or DL guy on the 53 man roster would be resources better spent.  In the end it will come down to what BB feels is the best way to build the roster and allocate those resources.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

The other part of this that seems to be lost is that the opportunity cost of carrying Tebow is minimal.

If you think he has more upside than a "fringe" guy, then you keep him. Fringe guys are a dime a dozen. A team carries 53 on its roster plus a practice squad of 8. There are dozens (hundreds?) of street free agents, guys that made it to the last cut and aren't picked (or aren't eligible) for the PS.

Those are your fringe guys. They're out there to be picked up when you need them, to fill in, whatever.

Then there's the practice squad, which is not eight, it's actually 256. Any team can grab any PS player from any other team at any time, with no real limitation (other than whatever self-imposed code they go by).

So, there's really no need to fret about some "fringe" guy losing his job because of Tebow. They're dispensable.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

[QUOTE]

This is correct except that they don't have an emergency QB anymore to my knowledge. I think they did away with that and just made it 46 active. But the point is the same. That is, you can only dress 46, so he doesn't take away from anybody's PT unless he's active. If he's active, then they have a plan to actually use him in the game because they aren't going to have 2 active backup QBs.

The larger point though, is that this whole discussion is premature. They need 3 QBs in camp to handle all the reps and to get through the preseason games. So, if they cut Tebow they'd need to bring in another QB. You cut your third QB (if that's the plan) at the end of camp, not now. 

If Tebow was cut last week, Brady would have had to play basically the whole game against Philly. Look at any team's roster right now, they all have more than two QBs. It's a must.

[/QUOTE]

Muzzy, as usual you are correct on the 46th player.

My comments regarding the final roster decision agree with your comment that the decision will be made at the end of camp, not now. It would not surprise me if TT does not make the team, a developmental QB w/b signed onto the practice squad once the season starts

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

You think he should give up his dreams, throw away his entire life's work, because some fans think he isn't very good at his job?

Absurd.

Do you honestly believe it's only "some fans" that think this guy sucks? He will NEVER be a good QB in the NFL. You have every right to defend his skills if you wish, but pretty much the entire football world as we know it knows this kid isn't going to be a great NFL QB.....EVER. He's missing a skill that seems to be pretty important for NFL QBs....he can't pass!! LOL

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

[QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with hate... He is a less than mediocre QB who at best is a 3rd string QB who wouldn't dress for the majority of the games. For my money I think carrying an extra OL or DL guy on the 53 man roster would be resources better spent.  In the end it will come down to what BB feels is the best way to build the roster and allocate those resources.

[/QUOTE]

Actually he is a less than mediocre classic, dropback, quarterback. He is a much better than average running QB.  What are the types of QBs the Pats D have had the most problems with?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

Actually he is a less than mediocre classic, dropback, quarterback. He is a much better than average running QB.  What are the types of QBs the Pats D have had the most problems with?

They had major problems with dropback guys. Last year Flacco twice, Fitz, Peyton manning had huge passing games well over 300 yards.

Russell Wilson and kapernick had less than 300 yards passing and i believe kapernick had less than 30 yards rushing.

I would say becasue of the lack of a consistant pass rush and some shoddy secondary play they have struggled more with calssic dropback guys.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

No he doesnt, but he loves Jesus and he sells shirts so people like him. If Tebow was named Tommy Tribbiani, he wouldve been axed already.

Zach "Don't call me 'Suddsy'" Sudfeld

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to anonymis' comment:

http://www.boston.com/blogs/sports/columnists/kaufman/2013/08/done_deal_tim_tebow_will_break_camp_with_patriots.html

Keeping Tebow on the roster is not just strategically sound, its highlights more of BB's genious. None of us know for sure what BB is planning to do to best capitalize on what TT brings, but here are the obvious, strategic and even tactical advantages that I can see immediately:

1. Other teams are forced to spend valuable time preparing for him and the "run packages" and his "ball control" style thereby neglecting valuable time into preparing for Tom and his #1 rated offensive attack. MAKES SENSE.

2. The polar opposite offensive styles between a Tebow and TB run offense will drive a DC absolutely nuts if we show a committment to showing it and using it consistantly enough. MAKES SENSE.

3. When the PATs go up by 3-TDs, why not insert Tebow with Blount and two TEs and do what TEBOW does best...ball control, clock killing, making big plays outta nothing type football plays. MAKES SENSE. 

4. Please, don't forget, WE are all use to the great Tom Brady, the cream of the crop in NFL QB history and so we are spoiled by seeing an offense that is a thing of beauty and finness when he is executing. TEBOW may not look good to US, but he is an incredible football player, Heismann Trophy Winner, and a 2-time NCAA National Champion from the QB position. If used the right way as a compliment to Tom, he will give us a dimension that we haven't seen since the Flutie days, but only used when appropriate in an effort to CONTROL THE GAME AND CLOCK vs. putting Tom in the line of fire against all out blitzes. Lets not forget how tough it has been to watch our offense sputter when up by 2-3 TDs only to blame our D when the score got close. Truth, our Offense has had a tendancy to go 3-and-out an awful lot in the late phases of the game when up by multiple scores. TEBOW could be a stop gap to that issue.

BB is a mad scientist and when we win the Superbowl this season, there's gonna be a whole bunch of you out there who are gonna say, DAMN! Tebow was not only relevant, but played a big role in this amazing season. YOU CAN'T DENY HIS FOOTBALL ABILITIES. He's big, strong, tough, can take a beating, and is a winner. DON'T start with the, "YEAH! but this is the NFL. How much of this beating can he take? So we do this and he gets hurt, then what?" Then BB got the most out of the situation that he could. He took advantage of having an advatage until that advantage is gone. We have the best of both worlds with him as a compliment to Tom...maybe not in place of Tom, but in a supplementary role, in our alternate offense, DAMN we got some sick VERSATILITY. Sound familiar.....BB loves it more than anything else!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

In response to anonymis' comment:

Keeping Tebow on the roster is not just strategically sound, its just more BB genious. None of us know for sure what BB is planning to do to best capitalize on what TT brings, but even before we know here are the obvious, strategic and even tactical advantages that I can see:

1. Other teams are forced to spend valuable time preparing for him and the "run packages" and his "ball control" style thereby neglecting valuable time into preparing for Tom and his #1 rated offensive attack. MAKES SENSE.

2. The polar opposite offensive styles between a Tebow and TB run offense will drive a DC absolutely nuts if we show a committment to showing it and using it consistantly enough. MAKES SENSE.

3. When the PATs go up by 3-TDs, why not insert Tebow with Blount and two TEs and do what TEBOW does best...ball control, clock killing, making big plays outta nothing type football plays. MAKES SENSE. 

4. Please, don't forget, WE are all use to the great Tom Brady, the cream of the crop in NFL QB history and so we are spoiled by seeing an offense that is a thing of beauty and finness when he is executing. TEBOW may not look good to US, but he is an incredible football player, Heismann Trophy Winner, and a 2-time NCAA National Champion from the QB position. If used the right way as a compliment to Tom, he will give us a dimension that we haven't seen since the Flutie days, but only used when appropriate in an effort to CONTROL THE GAME AND CLOCK vs. putting Tom in the line of fire against all out blitzes. Lets not forget how tough it has been to watch our offense sputter when up by 2-3 TDs only to blame our D when the score got close. Truth, our Offense has had a tendancy to go 3-and-out an awful lot in the late phases of the game when up by multiple scores. TEBOW could be a stop gap to that issue.

BB is a mad scientist and when we win the Superbowl this season, there's gonna be a whole bunch of you out there who are gonna say, DAMN! Tebow was not only relevant, but played a big role in this amazing season. YOU CAN'T DENY HIS FOOTBALL ABILITIES. He's big, strong, tough, can take a beating, and is a winner. DON'T start with the, "YEAH! but this is the NFL. How much of this beating can he take? So we do this and he gets hurt, then what?" Then BB got the most out of the situation that he could. He took advantage of having an advatage until that advantage is gone. We have the best of both worlds with him as a compliment to Tom...maybe not in place of Tom, but in a supplementary role, in our alternate offense, DAMN we got VERSATILITY. Sound familiar.....BB loves it more than anything else!

I do not agree with point #3. It is imperative that the Pats allow Mallett snaps in case something hap[pens to TB. Even if it is a one sided game, Mallett needs snaps.