Does Welker Want to Cement his Chance For the Hall and Greatness (sb's) in New Eng. or strictly got fro the $

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

Re: Does Welker Want to Cement his Chance For the Hall and Greatness (sb's) in New Eng. or strictly got fro the $

The guy is NOT declining whatsoever. He has 95 grabs, over 1100 yards and is 6 catches out of 1st place.He didn't play great Mon, but so what.  Others picked up the slack

If they offer him a reasonable deal, I'd bet on him taking it. Edelman is made of glass. Welker, stone

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Re: Does Welker Want to Cement his Chance For the Hall and Greatness (sb's) in New Eng. or strictly got fro the $

In response to JintsFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to hang3xc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The guy is NOT declining whatsoever. He has 95 grabs, over 1100 yards and is 6 catches out of 1st place.He didn't play great Mon, but so what.  Others picked up the slack

If they offer him a reasonable deal, I'd bet on him taking it. Edelman is made of glass. Welker, stone

[/QUOTE]

i don't think he is declining either...he doesn't take too many hard hits because he is elusive and quick so getting a clean direct shot is difficult

and he doesn't stretch the field- he is a quick burst, quick slant, quick throw runner so he doesn't need the long range speed that receivers can lose as they age-

[/QUOTE]

Umm...seriously???

The guy gets jacked up more than anyone I can remember.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to patsbandwagonsince76's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hard to tell with Welker if his game is in decline. I have thought a couple times lately when he could not shake coverage and even on that great punt return that he was a step slower than I remember but that is anectdotal.

The people that matter, the Pats coaching staff know and also have a good idea of where the decline goes from here.

I am thinking he will stay and the contract he gets will reflect their knowlege. Also, There are few QB's out there that could work with him like Brady, look at the Branch experiment. Only incredibly stupid teams would outbid the Pats for him...and I am not sure he would want to go to those teams.

[/QUOTE]

Hard to tell if his game is in decline? Really? REALLY? Are you serious., THe guy is cathcing a hundred passes this year. He runs great routes (I go to the home games so maybe you dont always see it on TV except when they actually throw to him... but even then you can't miss it)... He makes good catches.... He gets open...

So you know why it is hard to tell if his game has declined? Because it has not!

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

THe Pats were not moving on when they franchised him and they do not want to move on after this season. The difference last year was the length of the contract and a year older and the sticking point will likely be the same thing. I hope both parties make a deal together but it will be tougher as other teams will now be able to outbid in dollars and/or years.

And do not think it is just teams with young QBs who might go looking. Manning would love to have a security blanket like Welker. So would every good QB. And by the way, so would the Jets. In fact, it has been my feeling that the Jets screwed up big in the off season in that they did nothing to build into their ground and pound strategy. That requires a dominant D and a passing game that is very efficient and low turnover. Welker would be an excellent piece for that strategy.

I hope the Pats keep him. He is high quality player and guy. And the best security blanket for TB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to hang3xc's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i don't think he is declining either...he doesn't take too many hard hits because he is elusive and quick so getting a clean direct shot is difficult

and he doesn't stretch the field- he is a quick burst, quick slant, quick throw runner so he doesn't need the long range speed that receivers can lose as they age-

[/QUOTE]

Umm...seriously???

The guy gets jacked up more than anyone I can remember.

[/QUOTE]

well maybe i am wrong because you see a lot more pats than i ever will but i don't remember him getting hit directly with hard hits that often, as least when i watch

he is small, quick as hell and does a lot of twisting and juking off quick routes so it seems it's hard to get a real solid direct hit on him-he gets tackled but not jacked too often that i see-at his size if he did he would be hurt more

but then again i got to differ to you b/c you see him a lot more than i do

[/QUOTE]

Here you go, Jints. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1nN1Gmqm3o

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hard to tell if his game is in decline? Really? REALLY? Are you serious., THe guy is cathcing a hundred passes this year. He runs great routes (I go to the home games so maybe you dont always see it on TV except when they actually throw to him... but even then you can't miss it)... He makes good catches.... He gets open...

So you know why it is hard to tell if his game has declined? Because it has not!

[/QUOTE]

Good post!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

THe Pats were not moving on when they franchised him and they do not want to move on after this season. The difference last year was the length of the contract and a year older and the sticking point will likely be the same thing. I hope both parties make a deal together but it will be tougher as other teams will now be able to outbid in dollars and/or years.

And do not think it is just teams with young QBs who might go looking. Manning would love to have a security blanket like Welker. So would every good QB. And by the way, so would the Jets. In fact, it has been my feeling that the Jets screwed up big in the off season in that they did nothing to build into their ground and pound strategy. That requires a dominant D and a passing game that is very efficient and low turnover. Welker would be an excellent piece for that strategy.

I hope the Pats keep him. He is high quality player and guy. And the best security blanket for TB.

[/QUOTE]

i gave several reasons why welker would not want ot leave. there is no qb wlker woudl rather play with thoe only reason to leave is bigger $. tens of milions and you dotn take a chance messing with  your own success. we'll see if he NEEDS  top dollar over all teh reasons listed in my original post

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

I think it depends on what he wants for guaranteed money. 

There is middle ground to be found and I believe they will meet in the middle.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Hall of Fame cement job is already framed up, just waiting for the pour.

I think that Welker is good enough to get franchised for $11m in 2013.  Hernandez goes down.  Gronk goes down.  The team keeps on scoring 40.8 points a game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

The guy leads the AFC and is 2nd in the NFL in receptions. He'll finish the season with over a 100 catches---most of them over the middle and many for 1st downs. Brady has got to have some imput on his resigning and I think he will. The Patriots would be crazy not to get this done.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Sadly I cannot see WW coming back.  I don't think they'll franchise him again and I can imagine someone will give him a contract too rich for the Pats to match. After what he's been through here I wouldn't be surprised if he takes the best deal and says no to a home town discount in NE.  I think BB chose the future when he locked up Gronkowski and Hernandez.  Who will replace Wes?  I don't know.  I'd like to say Edelman but the guy is too injury prone.  Still, I am sure they'd rather pay someone 50% of the cost for 80% of Welker's production.  I hope I am wrong and they revisit an extension as soon as possible.    

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

If they can't come to terms on a contract it wouldn't surprise me if the Patriots signed him to the franchise tag again next season.  They wanted Welker for 2 years, that would be what, $21 million in franchise tag money for 2 years (9.5 this year, 11.4 next year)? The Patriots take no risk in this deal.  If he gets hurt this season, no problem, they don't have to pay him or sign him next season.  If he performs (like he is) then sign him next season and have the same thing next season, if he gets hurt then no future monies or contract to worry about. 

If they only were willing to do a two year deal then they are still ahead of the game money wise.  A 3 or more year deal would have cost more then $21 million plus there would have been guarenteed money involved.  As far as the cap goes, they will work around that.  Patriots taking no risk here, Welker taking all the risk. 

After Welkers performance this season I really don't see the Patriots letting Welker walk after this season unless of course he gets a severe injury between now and next season.  It would be foolish of them to let him go.  I'm sure they learned their lesson letting Moss go, figuring they could make it work without him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If they can't come to terms on a contract it wouldn't surprise me if the Patriots signed him to the franchise tag again next season.  They wanted Welker for 2 years, that would be what, $21 million in franchise tag money for 2 years (9.5 this year, 11.4 next year)? The Patriots take no risk in this deal.  If he gets hurt this season, no problem, they don't have to pay him or sign him next season.  If he performs (like he is) then sign him next season and have the same thing next season, if he gets hurt then no future monies or contract to worry about. 

If they only were willing to do a two year deal then they are still ahead of the game money wise.  A 3 or more year deal would have cost more then $21 million plus there would have been guarenteed money involved.  As far as the cap goes, they will work around that.  Patriots taking no risk here, Welker taking all the risk. 

After Welkers performance this season I really don't see the Patriots letting Welker walk after this season unless of course he gets a severe injury between now and next season.  It would be foolish of them to let him go.  I'm sure they learned their lesson letting Moss go, figuring they could make it work without him.

[/QUOTE]

I was thinking same thing tfb12 as far as patag playing tag again....sure hope they get something worked out though, I'll take a yr to yr if it comes down to it.  Just want him here!   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to NOISE's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was thinking same thing tfb12 as far as patag playing tag again....sure hope they get something worked out though, I'll take a yr to yr if it comes down to it.  Just want him here!   

[/QUOTE]

I agree!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think it depends on what he wants for guaranteed money. 

There is middle ground to be found and I believe they will meet in the middle.

[/QUOTE]

there wasnt preseason.

for pats more reason to conider going up now, after hes proved weve got no answer without him.

up to bb to show ww the reasons he should come in our direction (i listed at top of thread)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to NOISE's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree!

[/QUOTE]

he wont take a year to year. we have only 1 more year of control thru franchise tag

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Hall of Fame cement job is already framed up, just waiting for the pour.

I think that Welker is good enough to get franchised for $11m in 2013.  Hernandez goes down.  Gronk goes down.  The team keeps on scoring 40.8 points a game.

[/QUOTE]

i agree hes proved hes worth th 12 (11.5 or 6) mil tag in 13 (but is this bb view in light of the $ to spend on teh whole team.

if you are talking nfl hall i do not think it's framed up, but with a couple more years like this, it could be (why would be risk that it doesnt happen at another team).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

welker has been playing great this season and i hope they give him a 2-3 year contract after this season. he is more then deserving of that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

welker has been playing great this season and i hope they give him a 2-3 year contract after this season. he is more then deserving of that.

[/QUOTE]

" i hope they give him a 2-3 year contract after this season. he is more then deserving of that."

ditto though i think itd take 3 years to get it done (id give him 5 at this point with 2 guaranteed. can alwasy be cut if he falls off too much or is seriously injured) 30 (ideally) or35 mil.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

bump

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

“A lot of guys can come in there and make plays and do all of that, but are they going to be able to be durable and last the entire season?” Rice said. “This guy has proven himself over and over again that he’s going to play through injuries. He’s going to be productive when he’s hurt. I think he really deserves the contract that they should give him.

“I don’t know what the hesitation is. And Wes is going to be, what, 32 (next offseason)? That’s when I was in my prime, and I felt I was playing my best football. I don’t think he’s getting old. I think he’s still durable and can go out there and make those plays.”

Welker has battled through an ankle injury for much of the season, and began yesterday’s practice on the stationary bike just to loosen it up. Yet, hit after hit and ankle roll after ankle roll, Welker routinely gets up and plays on.

“I think that’s the reason why we’re somewhat similar because I was able to tolerate a lot of pain but still be able to be focused and productive on the football field,” Rice said. “A lot of guys can’t play through pain, and he can.”

---------------------

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2012/12/wes_welker_jerry_rice_two_same

This says a lot coming from Jerry Rice.  All you guys talking about Welker getting old... Rice says 32 was his prime, LOL!  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]

“A lot of guys can come in there and make plays and do all of that, but are they going to be able to be durable and last the entire season?” Rice said. “This guy has proven himself over and over again that he’s going to play through injuries. He’s going to be productive when he’s hurt. I think he really deserves the contract that they should give him.

“I don’t know what the hesitation is. And Wes is going to be, what, 32 (next offseason)? That’s when I was in my prime, and I felt I was playing my best football. I don’t think he’s getting old. I think he’s still durable and can go out there and make those plays.”

Welker has battled through an ankle injury for much of the season, and began yesterday’s practice on the stationary bike just to loosen it up. Yet, hit after hit and ankle roll after ankle roll, Welker routinely gets up and plays on.

“I think that’s the reason why we’re somewhat similar because I was able to tolerate a lot of pain but still be able to be focused and productive on the football field,” Rice said. “A lot of guys can’t play through pain, and he can.”

---------------------

http://bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2012/12/wes_welker_jerry_rice_two_same

This says a lot coming from Jerry Rice.  All you guys talking about Welker getting old... Rice says 32 was his prime, LOL!  

[/QUOTE]

my thoughts are similar to rice. this can vary greatly player to player. welker has proven where he is. use our leverage to bring him to something reasonable. 2 yrs guaranteed on a 4 or 5 yr deal 6 mil per

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'd love to see him stay and take a home town discount, but he won't and he deserves every cent he'll get elsewhere. It's a shame really because if he stays here he'll get a chance to move into some really elite company for recievers (all time stat wise) and I just don't think he'll do that somewhere else. I could see his production dropping by 30 catches plus a season without Brady throwing it to him on some of those option routes these two are so tuned in on. I don't see him having a QB that can maximize him that way and he's the type of reciever that needs those routes in his arsenal because he's not just going to line up and blow past guys to get open.