dolphins D in decline?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

dolphins D in decline?

they lost Jason taylor OLB (starter), Jason Ferguson DT(starter), Joey porter OLB(starter), Phillip merling DE (2nd). They brought in dansby who definiately improves their ILB. So overall they lost in the middle (DT) and on both sides on the exterior. I really don't see that their D will be better than it was last year. Their offense definiately will with the addition of marshall.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Re: dolphins D in decline?

When did their D ascend?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

n Response to dolphins D in decline?:
    they lost Jason taylor OLB (starter), Jason Ferguson DT(starter), Joey porter OLB(starter), Phillip merling DE (2nd). They brought in dansby who definiately improves their ILB. So overall they lost in the middle (DT) and on both sides on the exterior. I really don't see that their D will be better than it was last year. Their offense definiately will with the addition of marshall.
    Posted by natesubs

At least until marshall starts complaining about his contract and doing his TO impersonation.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolltide1963. Show rolltide1963's posts

In Response to dolphins D in decline?:
    Posted by natesubs

So they let aged vets, well beyond their prime years, go and replace them with:

Jared Odrick - Would have prefered him over our 1st pick

Koa Misi - I recall prior to the draft many Bostonians where hoping that BB would chose him

Plus add Karlos Dansbury via Free agency.

In addition they had two Rookie CBs starting last year.  They will be improved.

Oh yeah, don't overlook the addition of Nolan as D-coordinator.

R U serious ?  They may not be the 1985 Chicago Bears all over again, but they have a Defense that will not get pushed up & down the field. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

looks like tuna is rebuilding...moving the old down the line and bringin in youth...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

A. getting rid of jason taylor and joey porter makes the defense better
    B. dansby is one of the top 5 linebackers in the game right now
    C. ferguson was out the first 8 games anyways and i think the phins will be using a hybrid 3-4, 4-3 look to make up for the lack of a true NT
    D. the balance of the offense should put up points and keep the defense off the field
    E. mike nolan is considered a great coordinator and should really devise some good game plans and blitz packages
    F. sam, while ill stop short of saying henne will be anything like marino...he has all the tools to be very good in this league for quite a while, most importantly...he is a film fanatic
    G. if this team can stay healthier than last year...it was be very unwise to sleep on us...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

2 young corners look like they are players, but they need a better safety.  Dansby helps the LB.  They'll have a good D.  AFC East may have the best 3 team combo in the league, thank goodness for the Bills.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolltide1963. Show rolltide1963's posts

MVPKilla4life -

One must keep the Dolphins offense in mind.  They have a solid running game and now can compliment that with:  Brandon Marshall, A  year of playing experience for Henne, likewise for a core of younf receiving talent: Hartline, Bess, Fasano and Camarillo.

Their attack will be more potent than last year.  They will hold the ball longer, put more points on the board - both which have ann effect on a team's defense.   In general, their D will be better rested and may find themselves playing with a lead more often than they had been last season.

They will have a team truly capable of playing and beating any team in the NFL this up and coming season.     This is a team on the rise, not decline.  The Pats best have their "A" game when they play the Fins. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

killa, i mentioned henne in reference to what sam adams was saying

rolltide, i agree with your post...should be a fun year...the safety position may keep me awake at night though

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In Response to Re: dolphins D in decline?:
    Rolltide I agree that you COULD have that kind of year but that is assuming Henne takes another step forward and not backswords so if you are willing to go there then it works for you or against you. If Henne has a down year your defense wont get much time to rest and will play from behind quite a bit. So if that is the case how does your D hold up? Since we already know how you feel if your offense is good so how would you feel about your D if your offense falls short?
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

if your starting QB regresses on any team, you could say the same exact thing

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

the fish have a lot of young players...and as pantload likes to say himself.... that makes them like a ball in tall grass....

let me know if you want me to translate that for ya...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

In Response to Re: dolphins D in decline? : True, but a new coordinator and almost an entire new D Line with Starks at NT and Odrick and Misi needing to adjust to a 3-4 is not a gimme. That's the foundation of the line with Langford and Wake, and it's BRAND NEW. Dansby will help in the middle, but they'll be a learning curve.
    Posted by russgriswold

They decided to add talent and dump aged players. Depending on how well the D gels this year there could be a weakness but more likely they will be no worse of than last year. "Not great but able."

Miami is planning of scoring points this year and hoping the rebuilding D can keep the game close.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

"if your starting QB regresses on any team, you could say the same exact thing" - Jimmy Jimmy I realize this, but I am not the one who opened this door you are and Rolltide followed. You are right my last point can be made for any team but we are not talking about any team we are talking about the Dolphins. So if you are going to sit here and tell me that your D will be better because your offense will play better and that will make it easier for the D then I can flip the switch and say ok well what if the offense is not what you think it is? Then how do you think your D will play? I was the first to say dont sleep on this D and getting rid of who you got rid of made your D better so I clearly am not bashing your team. But if you are going to say that your offense will be better this year and that will make the D better then you have to also also the possibility that your offense will not get better and if that is the case you cant count on the offense to help the D and in that situation how do you feel about your D? I think they would still be a tough unit but I said that before this door got opened.
    Posted by MVPkilla4life

well the offensive line is a solid unit all the way around...good in the run game and were more than adequate in pass blocking

ronnie and ricky are back...enough said

marshall is added to go with a young WR corps that includes an ever improving devon bess and brian hartline who proved himself to be a pretty good player

if this unit stays healthy...we are in good shape...and even if henne struggles...we have the wise old man in pennington back there too

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Bottom line is, Miami's D is in transition like NE's is, but I think NE's is further along, deeper and more stable with BB and Patricia still there. Miami's is thinner in terms of quality personnel and has an entirely new (at least positionally) D Line, if not Front 7 (almost). The Jets also have a slew of new bodies trying to play 16 games on a new team, although less of a transition, in my opinion. If I had to rank stability, I'd rank them NY, NE and then Miami.
    Posted by russgriswold

well its a good thing front 7's are all about talent and not chemistry...and im not worried about depth unless injuries happen...and we couldnt possibly have had more last year...so im not all that worried

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from perfect72. Show perfect72's posts

Don't forget about Will Allen. He missed most of last season with an injury. He will help the secondary. I'm glad they got rid of Taylor and Porter. They are in the twighlight of their careers. Cameron Wake came up with bigger sacks on a part time basis than either of those guys last year..Brady anyone? Ferguson retired but he wasn't going to play the first 8 games anyway. Their biggest aquisition in the offseason IMO is Nolan. You won't see the same defense you saw last year. They'll be more agressive.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from perfect72. Show perfect72's posts

In Response to Re: dolphins D in decline? : What is so good about Will Allen?  Sure, he adds a veteran and depth to what you didn't have, but he's not a major difference maker.
    Posted by russgriswold

He's not?..Please get a job or a girlfriend...really Rusty. You give objective Pats fans on this site a really bad name. You really should seek professional help for all that anger you have...It's like "Da Bears" skit over and over with you.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

In a 3-4 it's as much about chemistry than it is about talent.  See, this is where you show you have no clue. It's the same reason why speeed for a MLB is not as vital as it would be for a 4-3MLB. JimmyJack, yet again, shows his lack of knowledge of football. Aggressive Ds aren't always effective, especially in a 3-4. Mike Nolan has struggled recently for a reason, especially last year in Denver in the second half of the year, when teams used his predictable schemes against him.
    Posted by russgriswold

your knowledge of football is laughable...really

the phins pieced together a front 7 with a bunch of also-rans with nick saban at the helm in 06 and the phins lead the league in sacks...by far...and their run defense was tough

chemistry in schemes? give me a break...you either know how to run the scheme or not

the denver defense struggled at the end because their running game fell flat, their QB's were playing awful and it left the defense exposed on the field for very long periods of time...but then again...reasoning like that is beyond your capacity to think eh crusty?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

and will allen was a pro-bowler a few years back...still one of the better CB's in the league...better than bodden even...dont worry...you will see

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

Will Allen is not one of the better CBs in the league. Only a Dolphin homer would ever think that. My word.
    Posted by russgriswold

actually no, its not jsut a phins homer who thinks that...will allen has been highly regarded in this league for almost a decade now...does he struggle to intercept the ball? yes...is he still one of the most effective cover CB's in the league? absolutely he is

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

That's your opinion. And I bet you didn't have that prior to him signing with Miami.
    Posted by russgriswold

A. what does my opinion before hand have to do with the price of tea in china? nothing you say? exactly
    B. it was intriguing because the phins and giants essentially traded CB's through free agency...madison was good at picks but awful in coverage and will allen was great in coverage and terrible at getting picks...being that will allen is still employed by the phins and sam madison is currently a free agent with slim hopes of making any roster id say the phins got the better of the deal

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

I am married. I am also working right now as we speak.  I'll take this form of a backpedal from you, with your failure to articulate why Will Allen is so fantastic, as another example of why Miami fans are clueless when it comes to football discussions. Don't bother attempting to talk down to me again, "Perfect 72". It's 2010. I stand by my take on Will Allen.  A steady pro, but nothing spectacular.  Glad I could help give you a non-homer view on Will Allen.
    Posted by russgriswold
    .....72. If you are new to these boards, here's the scoop w/ little boy Russ.. 1. BB and TB are god. Anything less than absolute worship is not tolerated. Little Rusty has both a bobble-head BB figurine and a TB blow-up doll in his basement apartment and he regularly "plays" with them. 2. any player the Patriots get (younger or older), he's a good pick-up and will help. Any player any other team gets is a desperation move or a waste of time and $  3. If you do not say "you are right Crusty""Tell me more Crusty""Boy you are SO knowledgable Crusty" you are automatically a troll, a rube, a hayseed or some other little name that he comes up with, even though he's said in the past that name calling equates to insecurity. 4. His knowledge (especially when he endlessly spouts about 3-4 and 4-3 defenses) is not to be questioned. That results in the name-calling thing and the premise that you are clueless about the game. 5. he is right and you are wrong  6. watch out for his temper, especially when you even mention that another team is capable of beating the Patriots. If he hasn't had his sippie-cup of Motts apple juice or his flintstones vitamins, he's a terror. If you are not new to these boards, then all of this is common knowledge.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

In Response to Re: dolphins D in decline? : Yes, but when you act completely stupid or are a troll, you will be called a certain name. Absolutely.  You deserve to be called what is accurate. Pats fans come here and are interrupted repeatedly by insecure dorks who are fans of other teams.  Care to explain that one, genius? Funny, I have no issue with fellow Pats fans, just reject trolls like yourself who come to a board that gives them absolutely nothing to talk logically about, other than to troll. As I stated before, when stopping through here on a weekend, it's far better to have a conversation because the troll level is far less. Don't pretend you can place you and your fellow trolls' obnoxious behavior into my lap. It's very simple: Don't post troll-like comments or dumb comments and not expect someone here to pick up on it. How hard would it be for you to just leave?  Everything you pretend describes me in this littler dissertation of yours is a complete exaggeration. When Miami or the Jets actually get past .500, let us all know. This is the equivalent of me scouring a Yankees board pre 2003, pretending the Red Sox payroll and subsequent talent level and chances to win were on par with the Yankees. Get a life, Rip.  Total goober, as your fellow trolls.
    Posted by russgriswold
    ...I have come on with relevant comments about your team, but also to defend my team. When someone like you starts a discussion putting down other teams and expect nothing but "yes Russ..way to go..you tell em." you are not interested in real discussion, only the mindless blather of lemmings that live on your every word. Thinking no one else can come on because it's a Patriot board only is a pipe dream. There are plenty of fans of other teams on NY/LA/FL boards that come on to comment. Grow a pair and face it that the only way you are going to make me "go away" is to report me. Then I will just reregister as a new user. Even patriot fans on this board have called you out on some of your comments. You just can't handle criticism or dissent. Remove the chip from your head, grow up and start dating. Your TB doll will understand. And the insecure reference I made earlier is STILL in full force I see. You say this board is so much better on weekends. If so, then come on only then. The rest of the week fans from different teams can discuss/debate/argue all they want without little sippy cup calling people names just because they don't parrot his opinions.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RushThePillPopper. Show RushThePillPopper's posts

I have no isse with you or any troll being logical, making a statement and logically supporting it with data, context and facts. No issue at all. The problem is, you trolls want your team to win so badly, you come across entitled. Do something first, then we can see you as having a leg to stand on. You and the Jets fans in particular all do the same thing. You read snippets about how the Jets will win the SB and then get angry when Pats fans come with hard data about why they won't. Show me one thread you contributed to here, where you actually engaged in logical, normal football, bread and butter discussion. You can't because you don't. Just who has the sippy cup here?  I know what I see with the best coach and QB in the game, a resume and some growth as they rebuild. You, meanwhile, limber up in your green tights and fireman helmet for a season of Hard Knocks.
    Posted by russgriswold
    ...as I go back into past discussions skippy...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: TO and the Pats? He sounds interested

posted at 7/14/2010 2:21 PM EDT
    First: 3/9/2010
    Last: 7/22/2010
    For once I agree 100% with Russ. He's a cancer and could not be trusted to follow thru on his statements about a lesser role
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

Sounds like a lot of wishful thinking for win starved Dolphins fans.  Only time will tell how any of the teams play out. What I love is that not too many folks are talking about the Pats as a team to be worried about.  Even our own writer, j---off Al Breer, is picking the dolphins to win the division.  Sorry phins fans.  He just jinxed you.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

MVP IS completely correct here...CanNOT sleep on Miami's Defense.  Heck, NE regularly hands some AFC Teams their #sses back to them (Buffalo); And With other Teams in our division- NE beats them for a certain amount of time, then the matchup seems to go "You win 1, We win 1, You-Us, etc." (like The Jets), BUT for some strange reason the 'Fins almost ALWAYS play us Extremely Hard (1 exception=2007-NE's perfect reg. season).  And Miami has made contests of each and every matchup BEFORE Parcells took charge...

In ALL though, The Dolphins imho- Had a nasty-good Offseason...they had a good 2009 Draft, and imo Miami had simply a great 2010 NFL Draft...  These are the players which they've acquired through The Draft And Free Agency In Only 2 years:

DT Joe Cohen (resigned)
    LB Channing Crowder (resigned)
    S Yeremiah Bell (resigned)
    CB Will Allen (resigned)
    S Tyrone Culiver (resigned)
    LB Cameron Wake (signed from CFL)
    DT Tony McDaniel (trade w/ Jax)
    DE/OLB Quentin Moses (resigned)
    CB Vontae Davis ('09 Draft-5'11/3/4's 205lbs rookie w/ 53 TTs and 11 PDs and 4 Ints...again, rookie)
    CB Sean Smith ('09 Draft-6'4 210lb rookie w/ 38 TTs and 12 PDs...again, ROOKIE) 
    S Chris Clemons ('09 Draft)
    ILB Tim Dobbins (trade w/ SanDiego) 
    ILB Karlos Dansby (signed as a FA)
    DE Jared Odrick ('10 Draft, DT- 3-4 DE- 6'5 & 305lbs=Hate Miami for Drafting him, because it was ONLY because the 2010 Draft Class is/was so deep in talent and overall depth, That one could find an above average 2-gapping 3-4 DE all the way at the bottom of Rd 1 for once)
    OLB Koa Misi ('10 Draft-6'3 250lbs, Thought I read that it was Misi on 1 side and B Graham on the other side, who simply tore-up the oppossing squad, again & again)
    LB A.J. Edds ('10 Draft-6'4 @ 250lbs, Intelligent, non-stop guy...Imho, 1 of very few mid rders who even could translate to a SOLB, in the future)
    CB/S Reshad Jones ('10 Draft- Projeted 2nd rder & Top 5 Safety, that Miami snags in Rd 5...EXtremely good mov and value)
    OLB Chris McCoy ('10 Draft-Only played in something like the Sun-Belt conference, yet had something crazy like +20 TFLs, and was that Conference's Defensive player of the year; 6'3 and 245lbs...same w/ all the other potential 3-4 OLBs which Parcells got-Good in space, non-stop effort, smart, have the height and moves, just need maybe 10 or so more lbs)
    DE Vince Oghobaase ('10 UNDrafted...somehow managed to snag this potential DT/ 3-4 DE Gem)

~So yea, This team's Defensive Squad ain't resting the past 2 years...  Rebuilding?  No doubt-Out of 22 current roster guys whom play in Miami's Front Defensive 7, 4 of them are OVER 26 years old...Cameron Wake & Karlos Dansby are the apparent "'Fins-geezers" Both @ Age 28yo.  Same for their secondary- 5 outta 15 Current Roster guys are over 26yo (remember, BEFORE training camp cuts)...