dolphins given gift 1st down before touchdown

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

dolphins given gift 1st down before touchdown

It occurred on second down when tannehill threw to Thomas in left flat.  Dennard hits Thomas and trips him up, but Thomas is able to awkwardly spin and fall forward.  His knee touches with the ball around the 10 as he lunges forward.

Ball was marked at the 8.  1st down.

Rule says contact has to happen to down a player.  Did they rule dennard didn't tackle him...?  It looked to me like a tackle even though Thomas was able to gain yards after contact.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Re: dolphins given gift 1st down before touchdown

would like to hear some opinions on this play.  Instead of 1st and goal it should have been 3rd and 2.  Big difference.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Don't remember that play but last week Baltimore got an extra 2 yards on the spot of the Rice's 3rd and 29 yard play.  They even reviewed it and only brought it back a 1/2 yard.  Without that gift the Ravans have 4 losses.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Referreeing the situation rears its ugly head again...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

i thought the exact same thing when the play occurred. I couldnt tell from replays if his knee actually touched down or not.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

What do you think about the rule?  Is that considered a tackle by dennard?

His knee was down.  They had two replays which I played back in slow motion... Clearly reversible if dennard is ruled the tackler... Down by contact.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

if his knee hit the ground, then he was clearly down by contact. The hit by Dennard is what created the imbalance which forced him to go down. I could not tell by replays because I am overseas and was watching online on thefrontrow.edu and the pic quality was lousy!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

There was no way in hell that was a first down. I was quite pissed at the time and yelling for Bill to throw the challenge flag. I noticed the refs had a bad habit this game of giving generous spots that were close to first downs but warranted measurements. Then there was no replay as well. It actually benefited the Pats on a few occasions so I can't really complain on the whole. That ref crew was giving generous spots all day long...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Ok... Yeah I played it back in superslow freeze frame.  The thing that made it visually uncertain was that it was his bare knee sticking below his knee pads that touched down clearly.  The white pants gave the illusion that knee wasn't down .

another blown call, which could have meant points . also his elbow was down around the 9 and the ball ended up on the 8.  weak.  And tough to challenge for bb since he didn't have the angle.  Surprised overhead coach didn't catch that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

I hate to bring this up, but our own beloved team sometimes benefits from questionable calls.  I believe there was a questionable pass interference call in New England's favor in the Miami game.  Also the officials missed a New England face mask penalty.  There are bound to be missed or bad calls in every game.  Mostly they probably even out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to newenglanderinexile's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I hate to bring this up, but our own beloved team sometimes benefits from questionable calls.  I believe there was a questionable pass interference call in New England's favor in the Miami game.  Also the officials missed a New England face mask penalty.  There are bound to be missed or bad calls in every game.  Mostly they probably even out.

[/QUOTE

Yeah I get that.  just wanted to break this play down because I was unsure how it was ruled.

the rule is kind of vague...it just says contact must occur prior to going down... 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AZPAT. Show AZPAT's posts

All I can say is THANK GOD the REAL refs are back. SOOOOOO much better than those replacement hacks. Why, if those other guys were still working games, I can just see the forum and boards light up like Christmas, er, Holiday trees ove all their mistakes, like ball placement, clock issues, and making correct play calls.

Thank God we dodged that bullet! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

I remember seeing that and was surprised that he got the first down.

That being said, I think the Pats got more calls. Especially with the Tannehill facemask no call

We won. Time to move forward. Hopefully better officiating in the future

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

stupid refs

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

I just watched the tape again... Correction , it was the 5 yard line not the 10...  Clearly knee down 2 yards short.  2 replays... Oh well...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

Don't remember that play but last week Baltimore got an extra 2 yards on the spot of the Rice's 3rd and 29 yard play.  They even reviewed it and only brought it back a 1/2 yard.  Without that gift the Ravans have 4 losses.

[/QUOTE]

look at the bright side. One more soft team in the path to the SB for the PAts (that assumes Balt can hold it together for the rest of the season)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I was more upset about the blatant hold on our left end during that drive that went for a huge chunk of yards and I believe it was a secon or third and long. Deerdrof said our end had a hard time breaking free from the block and it was clearly because of a hold. Can't complain too much though because the Pats got away with a facemask on the fins QB so a well.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to raptor64d's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was more upset about the blatant hold on our left end during that drive that went for a huge chunk of yards and I believe it was a secon or third and long. Deerdrof said our end had a hard time breaking free from the block and it was clearly because of a hold. Can't complain too much though because the Pats got away with a facemask on the fins QB so a well.

[/QUOTE]

I saw that.  That was 2nd and long and got the fins out of a hole, which was created by a holding penalty on first down.

Do refs swallow their hankies after calling holding since it seems like piling on if they call 2 in a row..? And do players take advantage of that? Hmmmm... Wouldn't be surprised...