Don Banks's 1st Rd Mock

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Don Banks's 1st Rd Mock

I am not sure Hightower would be there at 27 and I am not familiar with Worthy (31), but I do like how Worthy's bio reads.  I thought the last section was interesting:

Worthy Analysis

Pass rush: May not put up huge sack numbers, but is a constant thorn in a quarterback's side in pass rush situations. Swims past lesser linemen with a shake and quick, violent hands. Closes on the passer in a hurry once free. Will sometimes line up a half-yard off the line to give himself room to make his move. Does not split doubles regularly or have a great bull rush, often giving up after initial contact.

Run defense: Packs power and has quick feet to handle one or two-gap run defense responsibilities in the box. Tough to move, stands up blockers when anchoring against the run. Brings down backs from behind within the box and straight up the middle, but does not regularly chase plays downfield or towards the sideline. Spins off blocks but doesn't have elite change of direction to reach quicker backs going through the hole once he's left it. Gets caught up in his man chest at times, failing to get off to make a play. Quick backs elude him easily in the hole. Avoids cut tackles to stay upright, but lacks quick acceleration to get into plays away from him.

Explosion: Impressive explosiveness off the snap, shocks his man with a strong initial punch and can also out-quick him to get into the backfield. Quick to get low, create a pile in goal lone situations. Gets too worried about contact or penetrating a gap that sometimes forgets to find the ball.

Strength: Already excelling in this area, should get even stronger in a pro strength and conditioning program. Strong hands allow him to shed lineman in either direction to catch backs coming into his area; consistency in using them could be improved, however. Once he gets a guard on skates, puts them into the quarterback. Takes his man backwards when slanting, also effective occupying two men on twists to free up the end.

Tackling: Limited area of coverage results average tackle numbers for the position. Swallows up ballcarriers in the box with length and superior upper-body strength, though, leading teams to stay away from inside runs. Closes well on quarterbacks and running backs in the backfield and rarely gets go of ballcarriers once making contact. Has enough agility and athleticism to grab backs from behind after a strong swim move.

Intangibles: His stamina and conditioning will be a concern for scouts unless improvements are made. Vocal on and off the field; points out potential hot receivers and run plays to teammates before the snap, something you don't see many interior linemen do.

--Chad Reuter

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Don Banks's 1st Rd Mock

Worthy could be a star but his biggest weakness is his motor and consistent effort

Still seems to be the same way

Cox and Reyes don't seem to have that problem boosting Cox from a late 1st earlier in the year to a guy who could go in the teens now and def will be selected before Still/Worthy. Reyes went from a late 2nd rounder to someone who should go 25-40.

Worthy is probably a 25-40 type guy as well. I'd be fine with him at 31.

I'm sure it will be VERY hard for the Pats staff to determine who will be the best pro out of Still, Worthy and Reyes. Meanwhile all 3 should be better as rookies than Brockers, but most would probably agree Brockers will eventually be the best pro out of the 4.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Hightower I like a lot, has the ability to stack and shed on the inside, has regained some mobility/agility another year removed from knee surgery and I think he has excellent upside as an edge rusher (rushed the passer from the 43 DE position during his time at 'Bama).

Worthy is a kid that has been inconsitent during his time at MSU, as others have mentioned; when he's on, he's extremely stout at the POA, has the ability to control gaps, has some solid awareness and can make plays behind the LOS.  He looked very good in their bowl game vs. Georgia, IMO, motor was still running strong in the 4th QTR.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

You know BB ain't drafting two players in the first round as well as I do! Though it's nice too dream!!! You can almost put it in stone that he will find some poor fool who wants to get back into the first round and there old uncle bill will be sitting with two draft choices just waiting to help a brother out!!!

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GO47. Show GO47's posts

In Response to Re: Don Banks's 1st Rd Mock:
    [QUOTE]You know BB ain't drafting two players in the first round as well as I do! Though it's nice too dream!!! You can almost put it in stone that he will find some poor fool who wants to get back into the first round and there old uncle bill will be sitting with two draft choices just waiting to help a brother out!!!
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

It will be interesting to see if BB's strategy will change now that the rookies now have a wage scale. Before this year you could count on BB to trade one of the 1st round picks if he had 2 but he may have 2nd thoughts now because his value system now changes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 15315k. Show 15315k's posts

Man I'm hoping that he keeps and uses all of his picks this year, especially with the rookie salary cap. Lots of good d lineman this year. Barron could very well  still be there and so should worthy. The Steelers probalby will grab Hightower at 24 though, if not he'd be perfect.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

BB will probably pull some of the same moves that he pulled last year.  

#31 for a 2nd and a 2013 1st rounder.  Hopefully to a really bad team this year.  

How hard would it be to find out who his most frequent trading partners are?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[QUOTE]BB will probably pull some of the same moves that he pulled last year.   #31 for a 2nd and a 2013 1st rounder.  Hopefully to a really bad team this year.   How hard would it be to find out who his most frequent trading partners are?
    Posted by Army2LT[/QUOTE]

Oakland is the most frequent by far

he has made recent deals involving 1st/2nd/3rd rd picks with Jacksonville, New Orleans, Green Bay, Tennessee, Arizona and Houston but all just once it would appear, twice with GB if you back to '06

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Worthy has average arms and his motor quits.  He's kind of heavy, but that keeps him from executing good pass rush moves.  I guess he's  a second rounder and I'd look elsewhere. 

If BB can, he'll trade pick #31 for a first rounder next year and a second rounder this year.

I don't have a good feeling about Hightower either.  He has stone hips so he can't cover.  BB already has his run-plugger in Spikes, and Spikes gets there in time.  This guy doesn't seem to get to the same place in time. 

Don Banks doesn't have a front office job. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]Mike Mayock says Worthy won't last past picks 20-25. I've heard others question his motor and say 1st round would be a reach. So, getting him around 31 sounds about right. He measured in at 6'2" at the combine and is known for his penetrating abilities rather than his anchoring ability. This leads me to believe he is strictly a 4-3 DT with some potential to play 3-4 end down the road. Personally, i'd pass on Worthy with #31 and hope he is available in round 2. Hightower would be a great pick as long as he can move to OLB.
    Posted by ricky12684[/QUOTE]

that is how i feel about him too. he was one of those DTs who was highly rated when last season started, so i tried to catch him; and was able to on two occasions - one the bowl game. 

now, i am an amateur compared to mb, but i saw his bowl game differently. he looked good on that game because of two or three penetrations to the backfield. what i did not like was how he made those penetrations. i thought every one of them was a result of guessing the snap, so he went pretty much unchallenged. at some point he got caught offside and that slowed him down. i did not see him get past an OL because of his power or because of a clever move - which was clearly what we all saw in suh, even fairley. 

maybe that's too high a benchmark. maybe that is something you learn in the nfl. 

i am not saying he's a bad prospect. a lot of people, who know better, like him. i am just saying that based on what i saw, i'd wait 'til the second before taking him. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Maybe #27 for both of Philly's 2nd rounders.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

Philly has an extra 2nd and 4th as well as 3 total picks in the 6th.  They definetly have the ammo to move up.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I hope if they trade out of the first this year we do it with a team that has a very good chance of being bad next year. It would be nice to select in the top ten rather than moving back - taking a lesser talent - getting a low first rounder and then trading it back again.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]Man I'm hoping that he keeps and uses all of his picks this year, especially with the rookie salary cap. Lots of good d lineman this year. Barron could very well  still be there and so should worthy. The Steelers probalby will grab Hightower at 24 though, if not he'd be perfect.
    Posted by 15315k[/QUOTE]

If he passes on Barron and trades down again with that pick, I might just walk away from the pats and become a jets or bills fan.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

From the little I have heard/read I am not a fan of drafting Worthy. There are otehrs I like better both inside and on the edges.

I think this might be a year where BB trades UP in the first round for a particular player who is available somewhere between #9 and 15. Just a guess but I think he vets a trade in advance in case one of a couple of players are available so he can pull trigger quickly.

I also suspect one of the second round draft choices and/or the third round choice gets traded into a higher round next year.

In the end I expect of the five picks in the first 3 rounds they end up with 3 picks. Maybe one higher. Maybe one moved into next year.

My own preference for actual focus on who we take is to focus on the edges (DE and OLB and perhaps CB) and if there is a special player to grab an inside DL. But the latter ONLY of they think a special player has fallen into their comfort zone pick wise (yes, evening trading up for an interior DL though I hope they upgrade the edges more).

In any case I am wanting players in rounds 1-2 who can play WELL all 3 downs. So they have to be stout against the run and be able to deliver a solid pass rush (at least).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

need a DE/DT BAD.. if one of Brockers, Still and Cox are there at 27 and we pass, or one of Worthy and Reyes or any of the other guys at 31 (assuming we don't go DE/DT at 27) and we pass to trade down, I will be furious

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]I hope if they trade out of the first this year we do it with a team that has a very good chance of being bad next year. It would be nice to select in the top ten rather than moving back - taking a lesser talent - getting a low first rounder and then trading it back again.
    Posted by mthurl[/QUOTE]

We got totally screwed by Oakland in last year's draft.  I thought their pick was going to be top 10 for sure and then they go and actually have a decent season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I don't see BB keeping both 1st rounders and I'm inclined to agree with Army2LT on what will happen with 31: 2nd rounder this year, 1st next year.  This is predicated of course on him finding a trading partner willing to do that which is not necessarily a given.  Wouldn't really shock me if he moved out of the 1st round entirely for the right deal.  Do agree though that a stud pass rusher (w/a blemish or two) has to be a priority.