Don't count on BB upgrading WR

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from nepatsbrady. Show nepatsbrady's posts

Don't count on BB upgrading WR

Over the years BB has totally gone the opposite direction of need in free agency and draft time. He will trade down for more picks and draft in the late rounds...bet on it....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Re: Don't count on BB upgrading WR

anything to help.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In Response to Don't count on BB upgrading WR:
    [QUOTE]Over the years BB has totally gone the opposite direction of need in free agency and draft time. He will trade down for more picks and draft in the late rounds...bet on it....
    Posted by nepatsbrady[/QUOTE]

you his new WR consultant? BB knows he needs a vertical threat and will fill the void.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Just remember spring day Bill went nuts and began pulling the works on redoing the offense pretty much in 06.

Welker, Washington, and Stallworth within days followed by Moss later. 2/4 vet FAs ain't bad. Stallworth played well but Gaffney was the real cast away from that previous year that we banked on well with.

I think Bill could follow the same blueprint. Sign some quality guys in FA and trade for someone. I don't think Bill uses all these picks but for once I don't think he trades a first for a future first but a player and a second for a first in 13.

I have seen Bill pull a fast one way too many times and he obviously wants to make this team faster. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Truth is no one knows what he's going to do, probably even himself - he doesn't know who's going to be available on draft day or what free agents are going to want money wise. I think he's proven that he will draft for need, draft the best available, reach, trade, take risks based on projections, take good guys, bad guys and move up and down.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

We've all come to expect the unexpected with the "Hooded One" and I for anticipate nothing different in the upcoming draft.....

Still guessing there are F/A's that would love to come to New England if for nothing more than a realistic opportunity to play for a ring....

When you start sixteen different DB's and still make it to he show it has to give a player a certain pause to wonder.....and at the very least contemplate...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

they hit BIG on welker and moss when they got them for literally nothing, but they failed on ocho, gabriel, stallworth, galloway, etc.....if they add a new receiver, thats great.....but they do have bigger needs at other positions

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

I say get a free agent and save all the draft picks for the Defenseless Defense!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Do not be surprised to see the Pats go after another TE wide reciever type like Hernandez. LSU's TE Deangelo Peterson who is a converted WR may be a good fit.
    We all saw how having Hernandez in the back field totally create issues with the LB. I can see a whole lot more of it next year. I mean could you imagine
    6'1" Hernandez, 6'6" Gronkowski and 6'4" Peterson and the issues they would cause.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In Response to Re: Don't count on BB upgrading WR:
    [QUOTE]Do not be surprised to see the Pats go after another TE wide reciever type like Hernandez. LSU's TE Deangelo Peterson who is a converted WR may be a good fit. We all saw how having Hernandez in the back field totally create issues with the LB. I can see a whole lot more of it next year. I mean could you imagine 6'1" Hernandez, 6'6" Gronkowski and 6'4" Peterson and the issues they would cause.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

I would like another big TE/WR hybrid.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joel63. Show Joel63's posts

JimfromFlorida,

I respectfully disagree. On offense we have the middle of the field blanketed. We need to get vertical and stretch the field. Period. The safeties are moving up because we have no one to threaten down field.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I don't know ... when they came almost that close in 2006 he pulled the trigger big time. 

NE's FO has to know they are close, and minus a Gronk injury could have been there last season. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a "splurge" now that the CBA is done, the Pats young players are grown up, and NE is knocking on the door. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

[QUOTE] JimfromFlorida, I respectfully disagree. On offense we have the middle of the field blanketed. We need to get vertical and stretch the field. Period. The safeties are moving up because we have no one to threaten down field.
    Posted by Joel63[/QUOTE]

I'm talking about a guy who was a WR who can open up the field and we all know Hernandez can also go long. BTW "stretching" the field IMHO is over hyped, Since most teams only use it successfully maybe once or twice a game.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Don't count on BB upgrading WR : you his new WR consultant? BB knows he needs a vertical threat and will fill the void.
    Posted by kansaspatriot[/QUOTE]

The real question is whether or not BB will fill the void at WR with the right WR. Ocho was a disaster, so was that other one from Tampa a few years ago.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bubthegrub12. Show Bubthegrub12's posts

BTW "stretching" the field IMHO is over hyped, Since most teams only use it successfully maybe once or twice a game.

While they may only hit a couple long throws a game, that's not the main advantage to having that threat. Defenses will need to address the threat or get burned. That opens up more opportunities for the guys over the middle. If you can draw off a safety for help downfield there's one less defender to blanket Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez. If they disregard him as a decoy you burn them deep. The Giants were not afraid of Branch, thus they limited a lot of the YAC the offense thrives on. Having a Moss in Indy would have allowed a lot more running room in the middle of the field. If they know you aren't going to throw it more than 20 yards it makes the defense's job a whole lot easier!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In 07' we needed WR's he got Moss, Welker, Stallworth
    In 09' we needed players in the secondary he got Chung, Butler, Bodden
    In 10' we needed TE's and LB's he got Gron/Hern/Crump and Spikes/Cunningham
    In 11' we needed RB's he got Vereen and Ridley

I'd actually say when the need was most pressing he at least doubled up on what was needed but usually at only one position a year

This year imo he will double up again at WR (1 in FA 1 in draft) and at DB (at least 1 in FA and 1 in draft)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Some assume that he will go the opposite direction and surprise us all, however, I think he will go the right direction and the surprise will be in who he takes as a WR. 

BB knows his team needs a WR to stretch the field.  In his mind he knows how he wants the field stretched and will get somebody who can do it the way he thinks it needs to be done.  We might be very surprised with the person he gets, we might not agree with the person he gets, but one thing is for sure.....  BB thinks outside the box and will get someone who can fill the roll he has in mind.  I have a feeling that we will see offensive greatness that is like no other.  If we know anything about BB, we know that he does things like nobody else and for the most part its pure genius!  People will question his decision.  People will say it wont work.  People will say he is wrong.  And yet again, he will lead the Patriots to another amazing season and still won't get the credit he deserves.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

BB has had a lousy record drafting pure wide receivers, a tremendous record drafting tight ends (at least lately) and a tremendous record of identifying experienced wide receivers on the market at a discount price (Wes Welker, Randy Moss for quite a while).

The Krafts are always interested in upgrading their draft process, in squeezing out mediocre scouts and hiring talent, so this may change.

In sum, I'd say don't be so sure that BB will draft a wide receiver.  If I were BB I'd find an experienced but not world-beating WR looking for a new team. 

There are other draft priorities.  I might take two cornerbacks in the first two rounds because it's a good year for corners, although BB has drafted so-so at cornerback lately.  The last big hits were Asante Samuel and Ty Law.  McCourty was Rookie of the Year and that counts, but he can't seem to play man-to-man, just zone. 

BB drafts some great offensive and defensive linemen:  Richard Seymour, Logan Mankins, Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, Sebastian Vollmer, we'll see about Nate Solder but he's on the field quite a bit already (as a tight end.  Nate, can you catch a few touchdown passes with a jugs machine?).  I'd go with the team's drafting strengths.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

there are better options right now than randy moss, but i wouldnt be totally against him coming back....BB does like to be cheap on receivers and he may be the cheapest option. i would rather have v-jack or lloyd or even bowe in foxborough though

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

I'd rather focus on the secondary. No matter who's playing wr Brady can get the ball to them. Unfortunately the same is true for whoever is playing qb for the other team. I love Ras-I but you really can't count on him until he proves he can stay healthy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

The Patriots currently have one wide receiver under contract for next season, so if you don't think they make any moves at the position, we better hope Josh McDaniels invents some new offensive formation that doesn't require wide receivers.