Dont know if he is hurt, but guyton played absolutely lame in the 4th quarter. wow.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Dont know if he is hurt, but guyton played absolutely lame in the 4th quarter. wow.

nothing else to say about it. no effort.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

Re: Dont know if he is hurt, but guyton played absolutely lame in the 4th quarter. wow.

he has been that way for a while....and all he brings to the table is supposedly...coverage......time to cut him

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Dont know if he is hurt, but guyton played absolutely lame in the 4th quarter. wow.

I love the way fans want to cut guys when there's no one better to replace them!  

Guyton is a reasonably good and somewhat versatile back-up LB--no more, no less.  He's on the team because he can play a number of linebacking roles at a competent (though not exceptional) level.  Yeah, it would be great to have better LBs--but who?  Ninkovich, Fletcher, Cunningham. . . are any of them really better than Guyton?  I don't see it.  Mayo is the only excellent LB we have, with Spikes maybe knocking at the door.  The rest, though, are a lot of JAGs--and Guyton is at least as good as any of that pack. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ender587. Show Ender587's posts

In Response to Re: Dont know if he is hurt, but guyton played absolutely lame in the 4th quarter. wow.:
    [QUOTE]I love the way fans want to cut guys when there's no one better to replace them!   Guyton is a reasonably good and somewhat versatile back-up LB--no more, no less.  He's on the team because he can play a number of linebacking roles at a competent (though not exceptional) level.  Yeah, it would be great to have better LBs--but who?  Ninkovich, Fletcher, Cunningham. . . are any of them really better than Guyton?  I don't see it.  Mayo is the only excellent LB we have, with Spikes maybe knocking at the door.  The rest, though, are a lot of JAGs--and Guyton is at least as good as any of that pack. 
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Who was the guy standing around ont he play that the announcer pointed out?? I saw him do it multiple times, just watched the play run right by him.  If that was guyton I dont care if we put the dang water boy in.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

In Response to Re: Dont know if he is hurt, but guyton played absolutely lame in the 4th quarter. wow.:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dont know if he is hurt, but guyton played absolutely lame in the 4th quarter. wow. : Who was the guy standing around ont he play that the announcer pointed out?? I saw him do it multiple times, just watched the play run right by him.  If that was guyton I dont care if we put the dang water boy in.
    Posted by Ender587[/QUOTE]

You're going on the idiotic announcers whining that the D wasn't killing themselves on Oakland's 4th quarter drive? Is there some reason why an already injury riddled D should risk further injuries when the game is in the bag?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I don't have the game film to go back and look at, but I remember Guyton making a few good plays as well as a few bad ones.  I remember Nink doing the same.  It's kind of par for the course for most of our LBs (except Mayo, who mostly does the right thing). They do some good, some bad.  This is sort of like the "dump Andre Carter" thread from last night.  Look guys . . . this defense isn't made up of stars anymore.  It's made up mostly of JAGs.  If you dump the current JAGs, all you're gonna find to replace them at this time of year is more JAGs.  Probably even worse JAGs.  And worse JAGs who don't know the system.  

It is was it is.  Guyton and Carter may be JAGs.  But they're better JAGs than a lot of other JAGs, so I guess I wouldn't cut them just yet. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Seriously, would Guyton or for that matter, Nink - be able to actually make the roster on any other NFL club?  Cunningham, forget it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

You may be right, but the problem is we currently have no one else to fill in in Mayo's absence. We are pretty much stuck with Fletcher, Spikes and Guyton. We are going to have to make it work for the short haul anyhow.

I'm interested to see how Tarpinian can play. I don't think he is a MLB, but in a 4-3 he hopefully should see some time on the outside, giving Guyton a breather or two.

What other options do we have? Play 2 LB's and 5 DL?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Options?  Don't know.  What I do know is the last time Mayo got hurt, either he came back before he was ready or he got real rusty while he was out, because his production tailed off.  Can't really blame him for that, though.  However, the coach knew his situation at LB and didn't address it in the offseason...again.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Good point on Tatupu - curious.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfansyr. Show patsfansyr's posts

[QUOTE]Good point on Tatupu - curious.
    Posted by southernpat[/QUOTE]

Guyton is brutal..  He looks clueless much of the time, and on the play he got called out on - I am nto sure what he was doing.. Trying to make a tackle was certainly no it....

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

For all we know this is why they switched to 4-3. They didn't have capable linebackers to play in base 3-4 all the time so why to fit a square peg into a round hole.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

you can't let these guys go just because they're having trouble with this scheme. Guyton plays very, very well in the nickle.

they'll figure out a way to use his strengths

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

okay Russ...I will say the D performed overall pretty well yesterday. They had their issues, but only allowing 19, when the Jests the previous week allowed 31, is encouraging.

I don't think Tatupu is an option. He was productive and he not playing should be a signal perhaps that he is just done given his injuries. Don't know...we got ot kick the tires I would think on someone this week. Although not optimal, Guyton, Fletcher and Spikes might be okay. The problem again is who is behind them...no one! Tracy White (ST) and Tarpinian (unproven). I don't feel terribly comfortable with that depth at LB.

The pats could go any number of ways here...We could run more 3-4, using Nink and Cunningham more, and using a rotation of Spikes, Fletcher, Guyton inside. Or, perhaps we bring in someone from the outside. Aaron Curry is still out there to be had for a trade. Although not optimal, one has to wonder if he might be better than Guyton, or at least can serve as a qualified backup?

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hang3xc. Show hang3xc's posts

[QUOTE]Solid start on D.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

Yeah, solid, to the tune of worst in the league.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]I look for a progression: I see it with our offense, our D and even Ochocinco.  If this wasn't happening, I'd be concerned. $100 BB goes exotic this week on Marky Mark and the D looks very good.

You think we can go "exotic" and be effective with what we have on D? The Ravens made Sancheeze look himself last night, but looking at our roster on D, I don't see half the talent the Ravens have to dial up those exotic blitzes and be effective doing it.
    What specifically would you do using our personnel given their known strengths and weaknesses?

I haven't seen the Jets O scared in some time. Last night the Ravens had them playing absolutely terrified.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

Guyton...let the RB run right by him a couple of times.......

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PerryM. Show PerryM's posts

[QUOTE]I am relieved Mayo is only out for a month or so.  I felt for sure it was torn. I guess when he got up fairly quickly it was a decent sign, but I was bracing for the worst. I still think they can be ok with Flecther making the calls in the 3-4 or when they want to go 4-3, Fletcher at the MIC and Guyton at the WIL. Spikes isn't speedy, but wow can he thump down the middle.  I guess this is why BB has people like Tarpinian on the PS. People keep mentioning Tatupu, but if he's healthy, why hasn't he been signed?

I was wondering about Tatupu as well, and like you said if he's healthy why isn't he with somebody. He gets mentioned everytime a team has a LB go down but never appears. But if he was healthy this I think he should consider as a chance with what we have without Mayo to show something and hook on with a good team. But again it just seems as though there is something, health, money...