Donta Hightower interview

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Donta Hightower interview

You can read the whole thing here-  http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/04/hightower_excit.html

But this is the part I really like.

Q: Can you take that defensive mentality from Alabama and instill it into your teammates as a rookie?
    DH: Oh yeah. I don’t really feel like it’s going to be a problem here because it’s something that New England has always been known for – having a good defense. They fell short last year. They got to the Super Bowl with that defense which says a lot about the team and I feel like with me and Chandler Jones as an addition to this defense, I definitely feel like we’re going to turn things around and do whatever we can to make this team better to get back and win the Super Bowl.

He's basically saying the defense stunk last year and he's taking it on himself to get it back to being great.  Is it a little arrogant- yes, but in a good way.

I really like this kid, for me he's the guy I'm most excited about.  Big, fast, strong, smart, agressive, a leader, the centerpiece of a great defense that won the National Championship.  I think he's the complete package. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

Re: Donta Hightower interview

To me Dont'a is what JM was suppose to be at this stage an impact LB...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

I'm not sure if he has a pure position, I really don't want to take Spikes or Mayo off the field, but if he can push Ninko and stay on the field for passing downs he should be a player.  Has the skillset to make an impact as a rookie, and he's just one of those "football players" who makes plays.  Pats need more of those, a stop here, a batted pass there; it's what kept them from getting over the top last season.  Intangibles and the "patriot way" are nice and I appreciate BB's ability to coach up marginal talent, but at the highest level of competition (superbowl) you need that game changing talent.  The Giants had it and were able to dictate on defense, the Pats defense had no answers.  I'm pumped for this upcoming season, this team should be very competative.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from abyssinia. Show abyssinia's posts

Uh, maybe we should let the guy play a down of NFL football before singing his hosannas.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

In Response to Re: Donta Hightower interview:
    [QUOTE]Uh, maybe we should let the guy play a down of NFL football before singing his hosannas.
    Posted by abyssinia[/QUOTE]
    Everyone here would readily admit it's a projection, hence me using the word "should" as opposed to "will" multiple times.  It's pure speculation based on past performance, does that stasify you?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

I'm hopeful that the front 7, whoever it may end up being, will get pressure on opposing QBs both up the middle and from the outside.

Haven't been this optimistic since Haynseworth....even if he was  a dud.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to Donta Hightower interview:
    [QUOTE]You can read the whole thing here-  http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/04/hightower_excit.html But this is the part I really like. Q: Can you take that defensive mentality from Alabama and instill it into your teammates as a rookie? DH: Oh yeah. I don’t really feel like it’s going to be a problem here because it’s something that New England has always been known for – having a good defense. They fell short last year. They got to the Super Bowl with that defense which says a lot about the team and I feel like with me and Chandler Jones as an addition to this defense, I definitely feel like we’re going to turn things around and do whatever we can to make this team better to get back and win the Super Bowl. He's basically saying the defense stunk last year and he's taking it on himself to get it back to being great.  Is it a little arrogant- yes, but in a good way. I really like this kid, for me he's the guy I'm most excited about.  Big, fast, strong, smart, agressive, a leader, the centerpiece of a great defense that won the National Championship.  I think he's the complete package. 
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

I do think those comments are going to make some in the front office cringe...rookie mistake. I like this kid a lot too - he's big, strong and looks like a guy they will be able to move to any of our linebacker spots. In my opinion size has always been a staple of our front sevens - this kid is a step (along with Chandler) in getting back to that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

This D is getting very physical very quickly.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Donta Hightower interview:
    [QUOTE]You can read the whole thing here-  http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2012/04/hightower_excit.html But this is the part I really like. Q: Can you take that defensive mentality from Alabama and instill it into your teammates as a rookie? DH: Oh yeah. I don’t really feel like it’s going to be a problem here because it’s something that New England has always been known for – having a good defense. They fell short last year. They got to the Super Bowl with that defense which says a lot about the team and I feel like with me and Chandler Jones as an addition to this defense, I definitely feel like we’re going to turn things around and do whatever we can to make this team better to get back and win the Super Bowl. He's basically saying the defense stunk last year and he's taking it on himself to get it back to being great.  Is it a little arrogant- yes, but in a good way. I really like this kid, for me he's the guy I'm most excited about.  Big, fast, strong, smart, agressive, a leader, the centerpiece of a great defense that won the National Championship.  I think he's the complete package. 
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Pretty much the whole wide world knew the D was pretty lame last year, and he was part of the widw world, not the handful of delusional kool-aide guzzlers we have here.

So yeah, a couple of high impact rookies coupled with a couple of other guys stepping up their game could turn this D from lame to great overnight.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

[QUOTE]This D is getting very physical very quickly.
    Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE]

That's one thing I noticed, too. Spikes is a huge factor in that area, so is Chung.  I liked what I saw of Dowling and of course all 3 have had some health issues, so I am cautious, but you have to like it.

Pryor returns, Warren was just resigned for system veteran depth and Fanane, Trevor Scott come in here as new pieces.

Been a slow build, but the final pieces appear to be in place now. Our D hasn;t been really physical since Harrison retired in 2007.  2008 is when it started to lose it a bit. 2009 was bad, 2010 better, 2011's was more of a battling kind of D, but now they have a chance to really come down on offenses.

Pats just quietly rebuilt it all in 3 years and for the long term with some pretty nice pieces.

Let's hope the offense can deliver now in the postseason.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

[QUOTE]To me Dont'a is what JM was suppose to be at this stage an impact LB...
    Posted by leonardo0110[/QUOTE]

I wasnt aware that just being drafted was more impactful then the hundreds of tackle Mayo has made.

pump the breaks a bit and let the kid play before you annoint him the king.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from leonardo0110. Show leonardo0110's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Donta Hightower interview : I wasnt aware that just being drafted was more impactful then the hundreds of tackle Mayo has made. pump the breaks a bit and let the kid play before you annoint him the king.
    Posted by ChasaB[/QUOTE]

I'm not anointing him as king, I'm just saying that mayo SHOULD be an impact player right now in this league, which to me he's not. Granted he makes a lot of tackles but I haven't seen him make those "wow" plays that you expect from him at this point. Don'ta seems to have those in him, how many times have you said to yourself " when is mayo going to take that next step forward "? I know many people are waiting for him to become the next patric willis which he very well can be, but hasn't to this point.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

i coulda swore i commented on this thread. was there another one on hightowers interview. (i mean another one other than the one i started)?