Draft 5

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Draft 5

Time to get the draft talk going again.  Little more than 2 weeks away, and I'm getting excited.

Players of note that have visited or are visiting the Pats over the past couple of weeks include Connor Barwin, Patrick Chung, William Moore, Louis Delmas, Evander Hood, Pat White, Jarron Gilbert, and Brooks Foster.

Mocks seem to be all over the place, as do player rankings, and this could turn out as one of the more unpredictable drafts in recent memory.

My new mock through 3 rounds:

#23: Connor Barwin, OLB
    #34: Jarron Gilbert,  DE
    #47: D.J. Moore, CB
    #58: (Trade)
    #89: Andy Levitre, G
    #98: Austin Collie, WR

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Re: Draft 5

at 47, I don't think the Pats will go for another undersized CB. Moore would be a great pick normally, but not with Wilhite and Wheatley filling the role of the undersized CB understudy.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

#23 Clay Matthews OLB
    #34 Connor Barwin OLB/TE
    #47 Phil Loadholt OT
    #58 Evander Hood DT
    #89 Jasper Brinkley ILB
    #97 Pat White WR/QB or Ramses Barden WR
    4th Courtney Greene S
    5th Andre Brown RB
    6th Darius Hill TE
    6th Alex Boone OT
    7th Joe Burnett CB

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

great to be back, and right about time, draft is on in a little more than two weeks.  Right to work.

#23 Rey Maulauga 
    #34 Connor Darwin
    #47 Jarron Gilbert
    #58 William Moore
    #89 Fenuki Tupoui
    #97 Pat White
    #124 Coye Francies
    #170 Andy Kemp
    #199 Stephen McGee
    #207 Brenard Scott
    #234 Bear Pascoe 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from grego84. Show grego84's posts

There is no way the Pats keep all 11 draft picks...they'll package a few for next years draft

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

There is no way the Pats keep all 11 draft picks...they'll package a few for next years draft
    Posted by grego84

Agree, but which one?  Players I think they'll take if that pick is kept.  They will not bring all those guys in.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mattadlard. Show mattadlard's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0YPDFmcp5Y

im not sure were gna get him but just watchin Pat White's highlights make me shiver. Just think of all the things we could do with him. i would be so happy if we got him! DJ Moore looks like he might be high on the pats board if BB went to visit him at UConn.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I am really excited too. Especially by the names they have brought in.

The safety trio, outside of Moore, are both two guys I really like.

I really hope the Evander Hood visit isn't just a smokescreen, because he is a great possible addition. He is an improving athlete with already great technique, although some might think that 6'3" is a touch short, he would be without a doubt the quickest DL NE has.

I like that they are lookin at some wideouts too. Although I was hoping to see Robiskie's name surface. Ohio has had a great track record recently bringing WR's into the NFL, and I would love to add a guy with his height.

I think they brought in everyone but Nicks from UNC.

Pat White seems like a waste of a selection to me, but maybe they are trying to get the Jets interested. LOL. Or maybe he is a straight wideout? Although I wouldn't want to use a day one selection on a guy who hasn't played the spot (or anything like it) and most likely doesn't want to. 

I am most excited about the visit with Jamon Meredith, who is a total steal if they can get him mid-late second. Tremendous athlete and good player, who could play any number of OL spots. I have been high on this kid for some time. And Cook. Two Gamec0cks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

You mean Darius Butler.

I would be interested in seeing if they do take him.

At this point I am positive he will be in the first, so #23 seems to be it.

The report from Storrs was that BB spent his time with the CBs exclusively, although there are two other Huskie's worth mentioning in Brown and Beattie.

I watched UConn enough to say that I don't think Brown would fair as well in the NFL. Just my guess based on his slashing style. At the least he would be a project of sorts. But I have been wrong with RB's before.

Beatty is another guy in the collection of very solid 2nd round OL, that I would love to see NE tap.

No doubt Butler is a real corner. And he would totally solidify that spot in the future nex tot W squared, and give NE a very deep short term secondary with Springs, Bodden, Hobbs and those three.

It would take the greatest defensive weakness and make it a bonafide strength. And setNe's payscale up down the road for years to come, as hopefully they could let Hobbs and/or Bodden walk and not get suckered into the bloated CB market.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Posted by grego84

I agree that ideally they would like to spread one or two out, and/or package some to get some better players.

But in reality that might no be so easy. You need takers. And you need takers that are giving you better value than what you are looking at.

I would assume that the sixth non comp is a goner, as will be the third non-comp. Those are not huge picks to part with, and they come with undeabable backups, so trading them out for even value  isn't going to be hard to do.

But just bailing on these seconds isn't going to be as easy. To justify dealinng #34 and #47 they practically neeed to ask for first rounders. Especially with #34. And #47 would need to go to a team that will be terrible next season, otherwise you are losing value.

So maybe #58 becomes the trade target?

My first blush guess is that NE will look for opportunities.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Does no one think we will draft Robiski the WR from Ohio State? I think he would be a great NFL WR

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Does no one think we will draft Robiski the WR from Ohio State? I think he would be a great NFL WR
    Posted by MVPkilla

I hope so MVP. But it appears that NE is really looking down the food chainat guys like Tate and Foster for that spot. But you do never know. There is a ton of footage on a guy like B.R., so maybe they don't need a visit. Or maybe they aren't prioritizing WR the way some fans are.

I certainly think he is as solid a WR prospect as there is in this second round.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

I've been wondering if it's possible that Maclin might drop to #23. I kinda doubt he would make it past the Jets at 17, but that would be a very interesting surprise/option.

I've also come across an alternative analysis of Michael Johnson, that he played every single down, plus every special teams play, and also that his role was to stay in his area, drop back into coverage when necessary, and to not overpursue in the event of a reverse.
    GT also apparently had an offense that tended to score very quickly, further minimizing the rest of this 270 pounder.

All of these factors could help explain what people are reporting about his game tape. I honestly would not be disappointed if he was taken at #23.

He is significantly stronger than Barwin, can definitely line up as a 4-3 end, and has the ability to cover, although I doubt quite as well as Barwin.

We have enough linebacker depth that Johnson wouldn't be overplayed like he was last year out of necessity, and he's less likely to face as many double teams on the Patriots.

He could be the closest thing to Peppers we could find, and would probably be better in coverage.

He's not going to be as good as Peppers, but he's also not going to cost 10-14 million dollars a year.

As far as his percieved weakness against the run, I think he'll improve in that area playing from OLB, and often going up against TE's significantly weaker than him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

Here's my latest take.

#23 Ziggy Wood  Let's face it, Green and Seymour are likely gone after the season, (Green maybe after the draft) but I hope we resign Wilfork.  Hood appears to be athletic enough to play 3-4 DE and big enough to play NT.  Looking ahead to 2010 we can't afford to lose all three of these guys without addressing at least one replacement in this draft.  BB has a history of using his 1st round picks on D line and I think this pick makes the most sense unless Maualuga slips here.

#34 Connor Barwin, Larry English, Clint Sintim, James Laurinaitis (if he slips).  Although Barwin's athletism is incredible he has a lot to learn to play OLB.  Some think he will go in the first but that is just media hype.  Nobody will spend their top pick on a project.  I could see him being used in goal line situations as a TE and work him in on passing downs.  However, the Peppers trade could involve this pick and I do think he will be dealt.

#47 Pat White  This will shock everyone.  A week ago I never thought we'd go this high on him but then I learned the Jets, Broncos, Eagles and Pats are all crazy about him.  This could be a smoke screen forcing the Jets to trade up but it could be we have real interest and here's why.  For us White makes sense in that we keep him away from the Jets and he saves us a roster spot.  Gutierrez can no longer be on the practice squad so he's going to get cut so we need a 3rd QB.  Aiken is now our #5 WR and Galloway is 37 and on loan for one year.  So, our need for a WR is moderate to high.  White kills two birds with one stone plus he gives us one heck of a wildcat option.  Officially White can be our #2 QB allowing us to dress O'Connell as our emergency #3 without counting him against our 45 man game roster.  This way we actually get a player in White that can contribute as mentioned plus maybe even on special teams so he saves us a roster spot.  We can keep or cut Aiken.  That alone is worth a 2nd rounder especially when you have 3. 

The reason for taking him at #47 instead of #58 is right now he's at #76 on my board but will go much higher.  Of the strongly interested teams, NE 47, DEN 48, NYJ 52, PHI 53, NE 58, NYJ 76, PHI 85, NE 89.  There is no way he makes it to us at 89.  Given how the boards are set we got to take him at 47 and it will not surprise me if one of these teams, especially DEN move ahead of us to get him.  If they do so be it. 

#58 Chase Coffman (if we don't draft Barwin), Rashad Jennings or Lawrence Sidbury.  Take your pick they all make sense.

#89 Gerald Cadogan  Many of you think we will go higher with our first OL pick.  Not me.  We have 14 OL on the roster and will likely carry only 10.  BB brought in a lot of depth at OL already and I've got to feel he believes he will make a gem out of one of them vs drafting one high.  BB historically doesn't spend high picks on the OL.  He prefers value later on and coaching them up.  As it is drafting and keeping any OL that doesn't go to the practice squad will cost one of our contributors to be cut.  Yes we have a bunch heading for free agency.  Neal and Kaczur I think will be gone which will pay for Mankins.  Getting a guy like Cadogan who is massive and fast, 6-5, 309 and runs a 4.99 and has a 3.68 GPA in a double major at Penn State is a BB type player.  I have him ranked at 97 but I don't think he'll last.  He's even a risk to go before 89 given the premium on OTs.

#97  Chip Vaugh or Dave Bruton  Many of you think we should target one of the 3 top safeties in the 2nd.  I no longer feel this way.  He signed James Sanders long term and Meriweather is making progress.  There are no clear cut stars in this draft so I feel we will be looking for depth.  Both these guys are 6-2, 220ish and run 4.40ish.  Maybe we can coach one up.  I would not rule out taking a MLB here either.  Jason Williams has been talked about.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

IM still thinking the 1st pick will be traded.so at pick 34 im thinking Larry english,or connor barwin.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

Great to be back!!

I'm thinking Larry English. It appears that Mr Jason Taylor won't make up his mind any time soon. So, we must address that need, and English is the most polished prospect to play 3 downs @ OLB.

Faucetman, you make a great point on Ziggy Hood. I can totally see this happening @23 also. He would be our best rush D-Lineman.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALAN2012. Show ALAN2012's posts

23: Larry English

34: Trade

47: Pat White

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

I really just don't get Pat White for this team, unless its in round 3 or lower.  The wildcat is good for teams that don't have great quarterbacks, but would any of you really rather have Pat White taking a single snap over Brady in a game?  I know I wouldn't. 

As a receiver, its not like his athleticism is so good that we can wait for him to develop as a receiver.  There are much more polished receivers in the draft that run just as well as White did at the Combine/pro days.

I am a huge Robiskie ran, but I think he will be gone before the Pats are ready to draft a receiver, unfortunately.  

One new name in my mock that we should keep an eye on is Austin Collie from BYU.  His production was phenomenal last year, with 100+ catches, 1,500 yards and 15 TD.  He's not going to be a deep threat in the NFL but he runs great routes, has great hands, has good size, and is very intelligent.  Sounds like a perfect #3 receiver.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

The Pats interest in White could totally be a smoke screen aimed at the Jets.  If the Jets think we might take White at #47 they have to move up to at least 46, right?  This would take them packaging 52 with 115 and maybe 193 leaving them only with #17, 76 and their 7th round comp pick.  Not to mention they would have reached.  As you say, wildcat helps cover up for not having a great QB.  For us it makes sense as I said strictly from saving a roster spot.  White becomes the #3 QB and #5 WR meaning we can cut Gutierrez and Aiken.  I think he could still be dangerous lined up as a WR sending him in motion for a direct snap making him a threat to run, pass or lateral it back to Brady.  BB would certainly be able to devise some trickery of his own.

Right now I don't think we'd take him at #47 but if we do, those would be the reasons.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

If Robert Ayers and Ziggy are there at #23, who do we take?  I might have to lean towards Ayers.  But I'm really starting to love Hood at #23.   You don't see many 300 lb guys running a 4.83.  That's basically what Pettigrew runs.  TE speed at 34 DE.  I wish he was an inch or two taller but doesn't matter, he can play 5 technique or NT.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Well said Pye.

Having White as your QB andhaving Brady on the bench is ludicrous. The whole point of the "wildcat" is an alternative for teams that don't pass well. The hope being that you can catch the other team with an extra DBon the field and then run into them, or parlay that into a sneaky pass completion.

Why bother when you have Brady and Moss and Welker and Faulk and well you get the point. I really hope it is a smokescreen. I will be really depressed if NE uses a day one selection on this kid.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Hood is a little small to play the Zero here in NE. Maybe in a pinch he could. But 300 lbs would be positively anemic to play nose on an every down basis.

He can play 5-4-3, and Mizz had him lined up over the guard head up and between the guard and center, all the way out to the TE too, but I would stay away from leaving him head up on the center, mostly given his weight.

At the worst, though, I think he might be a somewhat worse anchor against the run if compared head to head with Sey. But if anyone here got to watch him at Mizz they would understand what this kid looks like in pursuit. Heis fast and very, very nimble. He can actually pursue a QB, and won't have to rely on the engulfing that Seymour and Warren do. So maybe it would alter how NE palys their line a little.

He reminds me of a young Warren Sapp. Like I said earlier this off-season. I think he is a better prospect than Glen Dorsey was last season. He is very under-rated at this point, and was never part of the machine that LSU was on defense.

36 reps is nothing to snuff at either.

I wonder if it is even necessary to go at #23 for Hood though. There s every reason to assume that he is there at #34. I recognize that he is a swing first/second kid, but Idon't see a tremendous need there at the bottom.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Of interest here. The most looked at "true" first round prospects we have seen NE actually meet with are Butler, Jenkins and V. Davis.

Three first round corners.

Every other kid they met with was a high-second/low-low-first type selection.

I doubt Jenkins makes it to NE.

I still think that Vontae Davis would make a very interesting selection, if not somewhat against the grain of how NE usually selects -- in that there are questions about his attention.

But he is the elite combo type DB.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Man I've been jonesing for these boards to re-open! It's also nice too see everyone spent their free time working on a draft board.The latest entry to the possibles is Pat White and interesting choice though I like him I can't see anyone drafting him before late 2nd round but more like 3rd round..We still have the same cast of potentials on the list but everyone seems to think the Patriots are going to draft a Linebacker at #23,but watch out because Darius Butler is making some headway!We'll see but I'm not committing until the 24th.I still am leaning towards the Best available O-lineman as the first pick.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Py, 

I had the Pats taking Collie a long time back, but still agree he might be a fit.  Could be a steal in the 4th-5th round