draft Mt Cody and play a 4-3

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from timsandra. Show timsandra's posts

draft Mt Cody and play a 4-3

I know you think I am an idiot but forget the unflattering pic of Cody and look at his game tapes. Cody and Vince in the middle, TY Warren on one end, Brace/Wright/Crable/1st round pick at the other end, Mayo, Guyton (who would thrive in a 4-3 due to his speed), Mckenzie, and/or a drafted LB and nobody running on this team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from datdude401. Show datdude401's posts

Re: draft Mt Cody and play a 4-3

Really??? Crable playing D-end? The kid cant sneeze w/o injuring himself.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

That would be interesting.  I was always curious why this hasn't happened before.

But instead of a 4-3, I'd like to see them do it in a 3-4.  Maybe someone with more smarts can tell me why this wouldn't be good.  

There's no way you could double team all 3 and you also wouldn't be able to run inside.  You would need a good blocking RB with TE help.  That leaves 3 WR to be covered by 8 LBs, CB, and Safeties.  

DE-  Warren                       NT-  Mt. Cody                         DE-  Wilfork

But this one may be more realistic-

DE- Warren                        NT- Wilfork                            DE- Ordick

Wilfork is listed as 6'2" 325
    Mt. Cody - 6'4" 355

But Warren and Ordick are exactly the same Ht&Wt- 6'5"  305.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In Response to draft Mt Cody and play a 4-3:
    I know you think I am an idiot but forget the unflattering pic of Cody and look at his game tapes. Cody and Vince in the middle, TY Warren on one end, Brace/Wright/Crable/1st round pick at the other end, Mayo, Guyton (who would thrive in a 4-3 due to his speed), Mckenzie, and/or a drafted LB and nobody running on this team.
    Posted by timsandra

I like the 43 and think we could play it, but I don't think you'd have to spend a pick on Cody, we have other needs. Last year they spent a high pick on a huge DT (Brace) and he had to be suffering from his back injury to play like he did, because the guy was born to stop the run. I don't like Warren as an end in the 43, he can't rush anymore and probrably could play inside easily. Wright I think is a more natural fit for a 43 end than he is as a 34 end.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hagen910. Show hagen910's posts

In Response to draft Mt Cody and play a 4-3:
    Posted by timsandra

in a 4-3 the defensive line goes after the QB.  WIlfork, warren and cody if drafted are built to fill the run gaps and open holes for the linebackers to rush the qb.  WE would be like the vikings and get even less pressure on the QB in a 4-3 with the current lineup.  4-3 requires the dwight freeney type and not the 300 pound run stoppers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Hmmm...2 bad ideas encompased in a single thread topic, you don't see much of this very often.  True, 4-3 D's do at times have an NT along with a DT in their 4 man front.  Yet Cody is as true (and really singular) 3-4 NT as they come.  I think Alabama is one of only a handful of schools that deploy a true 3-4 D.  I know Cody is a 2-down run stuffing lineman.  His job as a 3-4 NT is to be selfless in holding the fort by occupying both a center and a guard.  With someone like Wilfork next to him a QB in the pass-happy NFL as is would have ideal pocket time as 3-4 NTs jobs are NOT to be quicker, a little smaller, but penetrating through the gaps between the offensive lineman-as interior defensive tackles.  Might work vs Run, bad in passing NFL with better audibling QBs... Even the ideally "now-freer" 4-3 DEs will simply be routed far around the ends of the O-line by any decent O-tackle.  Got a really good 4-3 DE, O.k., so the TE can help the O-tackle if need be route the 4-3 DE far wide (considering there's no penetrating spearheading pressure by the 2 4-3 NTs you want as they're just multiple gap controllers...  Should we counter this by then blitzing the very free 1 MLB of the 4-3 D and opening up the center of the entire field to a quicker slot WR or slanting TE...NO.   Ya Got, Just 1 NT, then fine, we got VW who HAS worked also as a 4-3 DT in college... 2 NTs...very bad potential.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

You can't put 2 defensive tackles and 2 nose tackles in the front four and expect a pass rush. These 4-3s need to have 4-3 ends. Warren is not a 4-3 end. Brace is not a 4-3 end. Wright is not a 4-3 end. Pryor is not a 4-3 end. Green is not really a 4-3 end. Drafting Odrick, he's not really a 4-3 end. We would need to take someone like Carlos Dunlap or Corey Wootton or James Pierre-Paul or Sergio Kindle or Ricky Sapp, even Jerry Hughes or Brandon Graham.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Cody is an especially silly pick for the Pats since there are quick nose tackles capable of playing inside or outside. Cam Thomas and Torell Troup should both be available at our last pick in the 2nd round and both have NT bulk while also 3-4 DT quickness and length.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanGermany. Show PatsFanGermany's posts

In Response to Re: draft Mt Cody and play a 4-3:
    Hmmm...2 bad ideas encompased in a single thread topic, you don't see much of this very often. 
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

LMFAO!