Draft questions...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Draft questions...

Were all talking standing pat moving up back etc lets get some numbers on where we all fee the Patriots are.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

Re: Draft questions...

good question

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Thanks... just occured to me we are all talking about these possibilities and this just poped up as something that needed to be asked.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TateGroup. Show TateGroup's posts

im not 100% but im 75% sure we'll say at 22, if not itd e kind of upsetting not taking the best available but i understand we need a 3rd round pick

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

There is absolutely no way BB stands pat. He likes to shake things up,with that said it's just a matter of which round he decides too start his wheeling and dealing in. I'm guessing he tries to trade down to the 26-28 range so he can mess with the Jets and still get that extra pick in the 3rd round that he wants. If that works he might even try to secure another 2nd rounder and a second rounder for next year and a 5th this year by trading out of the first round all together,but this will depend on the dance partner.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from khyzak81. Show khyzak81's posts

Great article recently in the New York Times about "best available."  There is only a 50% chance that the player drafted 22nd will be better than the player drafted 23rd.  It's by no means a guarantee.  You just want to get as many players with first round grades (according to your board) which you can.  Last year the Pats had 40 players with first round grades.  They moved back (and then back up) and ended up getting 4 of them, rather than 3.  That's brilliant (although the picks will not always be winners - see: Brace).  Moving back does not mean you are taking someone less talented.  This year I've heard the Pats have 60 players with first round grades . . . so you want to maximize the number of picks you have in the top 60.  If that means trading back until you get picks 53, 55, 57, 58, 59, so be it.  You get a whole additional pick by simply moving back and taking what the Board gives you.  Nothing wrong with that strategy.  There are so many awesome players in this draft I would love to see the Pats pick up another top 60 pick.  If that means settling for Al Woods rather than Odrick so that we can get another pick and end up with Montario Hardesty, I'm all for it.  Woods + Hardesty > Odrick IMO. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

I agree completely with that logic...but I'm sure the Pats have ideas on who the "impact" players are and if you can get one, you should do it.

My point is if at 22, an impact player isn't available....you trade back and take Al Woods, giving up on Odrick (who I think will be average at best) and then take Hardesty...or Ben Tate...

Someone mentioned it earlier, but it would be amazing just once to see the Pats draft board...

In Response to Re: Draft questions...:
    Great article recently in the New York Times about "best available."  There is only a 50% chance that the player drafted 22nd will be better than the player drafted 23rd.  It's by no means a guarantee.  You just want to get as many players with first round grades (according to your board) which you can.  Last year the Pats had 40 players with first round grades.  They moved back (and then back up) and ended up getting 4 of them, rather than 3.  That's brilliant (although the picks will not always be winners - see: Brace).  Moving back does not mean you are taking someone less talented.  This year I've heard the Pats have 60 players with first round grades . . . so you want to maximize the number of picks you have in the top 60.  If that means trading back until you get picks 53, 55, 57, 58, 59, so be it.  You get a whole additional pick by simply moving back and taking what the Board gives you.  Nothing wrong with that strategy.  There are so many awesome players in this draft I would love to see the Pats pick up another top 60 pick.  If that means settling for Al Woods rather than Odrick so that we can get another pick and end up with Montario Hardesty, I'm all for it.  Woods + Hardesty /> Odrick IMO. 
    Posted by khyzak81

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

I only got a 32 on my wonderlic test so I'll leave these hard questions to those who did better....my guess based on past practice is that BB will trade the 22nd for a 2nd 3rd and 5th as long as BB believes he can find good players there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Seriously you guys really need to get off of LAZ's tip. You sound foolish and you really think hes the only one that brought that up. BTW Im not sure if you've been paying attention , but trading down has hurt this team. Why do you think we're in the trouble we're in and need to fill so many holes. You losers treat this guy like he's head and shoulders above everyone else. Once and a while trading down can be very helpful and set your team up for years to come , but we blew it last year. We ended up w/ Brace , Butler and Chung , none of which had any impact last year. Chung just didnt play despite us having trouble at the S position. Butler gave up more plays than he made and Brace was pushed around all year , in the game and in practice. We ended up w/ those three while we could of had Matthews and/or Laurinaitis/Maualuga. Both started games , made big impacts and look like future studs for the next ten years. And oh yea , we still need to fill O/ILB! Not to mention we still need another CB/S , if Butler/Chung were that/any good would we really need to grab another one in this years draft? If Earl Thomas is still on the board the PATS would scoop him up in a second. Im not saying that because Ive been screaming about him for two years , but because we need big help at that position. Ive actually been all for trading up to grab a stud like him or Haden , McClain , or Berry. This team has many holes to fill and trading down hasnt help at all.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

The group seems ready to stand pat or to use #22 or a second round pick to gain picks in this draft...

One thing no one is mentioning here though is financially long term having too many "high" draft picks coming due between 4 in 2009 and lets say 4 in 2010 that is 8 maybe more who potentially will come due in a two year period who might garner big contracts... Do you take that into account? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

Another viable (if not likely ) option that wasn't listed :

* - PATS TRADE A 2ND THIS YEAR FOR A 1ST NEXT .

Personally , I think the Pats will maximize their Draft Selections again this year .

PREPARE FOR SOMETHING LIKE THIS SCENARION ON DRAFT WEEKEND

ROUND 1
    Trade down a few times until early 2nd rounder & 3rd rounder are attained .

ROUND 2 ( 4 selections - a, b, c, d )
    a) Select Best available D lineman / Linebacker / TE

b) Select Best available D Lineman / Linebacker / TE

c) Trade along with mid/late rounder for 2011 1st rounder & 2010 4th rounder

d) Select Best available D Lineman / Linebacker / TE

I also think we may see a a mid round trade involving Adalius Thomas.
      Something like AD & our mid 4th and mid 7th for some teams early 4th
    ( It's pretty obvious BB wants him gone , so his contract + diminishing skills makes him an idea "throw-in " candidate )

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

I say maximize the number of 1st round grade players you can get, by means of trading down 10-15 picks with the #22, and use the 6th and 7th's to slot those 2nd rounders to get the guys you desire.  FRrankly, if we can end up with 5 second rounders or even 6, but don't draft again until the comp picks I am fine with that.  Trade down from #22 for 2 2nd rounders, then trade up from 119(or whatever it is) with the 6th's, 7th's, and players like light, Adalius, etc to 1 or 2 more second rounders.  It sure seems the value of this draft is picks 33 to 60...so get as many in that zone as you can.  Sure be nice to get RB, WR, TE, OL, DL, (2) LB's, CB, & P in this draft, with 5-7 of them in the 2nd round....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

The problem adam4522 is that if us "novice drafters" typin' away from our homes / work places can come to the realization that 2nd rounders = Gold , it's a given that actual NFL GM's can too .

On a seperate note :
     TWO PROVEN WAYS TO GET BETTER VIA DRAFT
     1) Target teams that have only a few overall Draft picks and sell them Quantity for Quality ( Panthers / Jax )
     2)Stockpile 4 future ~Our best bet to accomplish this is to target desperate GM/ Coach combos who need to win NOW , in order to keep their jobs ( Panthers , Jax )

Interestingly enough , these two teams fall into BOTH categories

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

CaptFoxboro... Yeah I think the other "partner" that might come out of this is Cleveland who has a few 3's and 5's and has an intrest in gaining a 2nd round pick this year. So as I mentioned elsewhere I think we would do a 2nd for a third and 5th this year and a 3rd in 2011. There are quality players that will get picked up throughout this draft because the depth is so deep early on. Looking at the type of player that is available lets say in round 4 at the OL positions there are several that could be starters even that late at that position and the same with DE's and DT's and TE's and S's and CB's that will be available in the 4th that at the least are candidates for the nickle.

This is going to be a fun draft. No matter what Belichick does I will be happy as long as Tebow isn't part of the picture. I think Tebow might eventually develop into a good NFL QB but we don't need that position this year especially when the other positions we need are so deep with tallent. If he is there in the 7th go ahead and spend a pick on him but if we draft any QB before then I will be livid!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10fern. Show mar10fern's posts

Another viable (if not likely ) option that wasn't listed : * - PATS TRADE A 2ND THIS YEAR FOR A 1ST NEXT .  Personally , I think the Pats will maximize their Draft Selections again this year . PREPARE FOR SOMETHING LIKE THIS SCENARION ON DRAFT WEEKEND ROUND 1 Trade down a few times until early 2nd rounder & 3rd rounder are attained . ROUND 2 ( 4 selections - a, b, c, d ) a) Select Best available D lineman / Linebacker / TE b) Select Best available D Lineman / Linebacker / TE c) Trade along with mid/late rounder for 2011 1st rounder & 2010 4th rounder d) Select Best available D Lineman / Linebacker / TE   I also think we may see a a mid round trade involving Adalius Thomas.   Something like AD & our mid 4th and mid 7th for some teams early 4th ( It's pretty obvious BB wants him gone , so his contract + diminishing skills makes him an idea "throw-in " candidate )
    Posted by CaptFoxboro

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10fern. Show mar10fern's posts

Another viable (if not likely ) option that wasn't listed : * - PATS TRADE A 2ND THIS YEAR FOR A 1ST NEXT .  Personally , I think the Pats will maximize their Draft Selections again this year . PREPARE FOR SOMETHING LIKE THIS SCENARION ON DRAFT WEEKEND ROUND 1 Trade down a few times until early 2nd rounder & 3rd rounder are attained . ROUND 2 ( 4 selections - a, b, c, d ) a) Select Best available D lineman / Linebacker / TE b) Select Best available D Lineman / Linebacker / TE c) Trade along with mid/late rounder for 2011 1st rounder & 2010 4th rounder d) Select Best available D Lineman / Linebacker / TE   I also think we may see a a mid round trade involving Adalius Thomas.   Something like AD & our mid 4th and mid 7th for some teams early 4th ( It's pretty obvious BB wants him gone , so his contract + diminishing skills makes him an idea "throw-in " candidate )
    Posted by CaptFoxboro

It all sounds logical...until you got to the part about Adalius Thomas.  No team is going to trade for him...Not even the Jets.  He is not worth 1/10th of his 2010 salary! He was useless last year.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Great article recently in the New York Times about "best available."  There is only a 50% chance that the player drafted 22nd will be better than the player drafted 23rd.  It's by no means a guarantee.  You just want to get as many players with first round grades (according to your board) which you can.  Last year the Pats had 40 players with first round grades.  They moved back (and then back up) and ended up getting 4 of them, rather than 3.  That's brilliant (although the picks will not always be winners - see: Brace).  Moving back does not mean you are taking someone less talented.  This year I've heard the Pats have 60 players with first round grades . . . so you want to maximize the number of picks you have in the top 60.  If that means trading back until you get picks 53, 55, 57, 58, 59, so be it.  You get a whole additional pick by simply moving back and taking what the Board gives you.  Nothing wrong with that strategy.  There are so many awesome players in this draft I would love to see the Pats pick up another top 60 pick.  If that means settling for Al Woods rather than Odrick so that we can get another pick and end up with Montario Hardesty, I'm all for it.  Woods + Hardesty /> Odrick IMO. 
    Posted by khyzak81

Good post, khyzak. I enjoy reading material from people who have actually done some research on a topic. Way too many on this board just run their mouths about things like this ("BB is just stupid..always trading down, etc. etc.) without the slightest clue as to the reality of the situation.

Would you have a link to this article? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Great article recently in the New York Times about "best available." ....This year I've heard the Pats have 60 players with first round grades . . . Posted by khyzak81

Hey khyzak81, where did you find this info? I am sure this year they have more than 2009.

Overall, I am hoping they can pick the right guys for the team that brings another couple of rings!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

I'm all for using the 2011 1st round pick and a our 2011 first round pick to draft 1-11 in 2010 first round.