Draft Thoughts

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Re: Draft Thoughts

Nice post Russ. 

My gut was telling me after they added Armstead and Kelly that BB wasn't going to draft a DT. Weird however, as many said DT was deep in this draft. I guess he didn't like any as much as the ones he picked up in the offseason. 

I agree with your post for the most part. I think the kids drafted all have great potential. I am really crossing my fingers on Dobson and Boyce stepping up, because we need them to. A UDFA I am really excited about is TJ Moe. This kid is the eptiomy of toughness, and over time, believe he is more than capable of producing in the slot. If he, Dobson and Boyce all evolve as WR group, watch out. They each have unique skils and ones we really needed. 

Looking back on it, BB's move to trade down and accumulate many picks was masterful. I believe Dobson will be better than Patterson, and the rest of the haul (Boyce in the 4th) is gravy. 

All in all, very happy looking back at the draft, even though as many state, the safety from Rutgers had us scratching our heads. I am interested to see what BB does now at the safety position given we have a log jam there. I think Gregory will be history, and I won't be sad to see him go. I think he played a little too light in the pants for a safety, and welcome someone a bit more stout and aggresive back there....which this kid from Rutgers is supposedly. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Agree with everything but Harmon.

If you want to trade down b/c you know that you can get him in rd 4, 5 or 6 then do so and add an extra pick in those 3 rounds as well. This reach likely cost us say Barrett Jones, Alex Okafor or Jesse Williams (for example) just cuz Bill said 'what the heck I'll take him 50-75 picks too soon just for giggles'

Otherwise I LOVE this draft. Too bad we didn't have multiple picks in the 4th-6th range like we did in the past to get guys like those 3 above who dropped or Lattimore to redhsirt... and of course not having a top 50 pick stinks...

But yea, great draft overall

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Jesse Wiliams had surgery on his knee after his bowl game. Plus, he isn't really known to be a penetrating 4-3 DT. Good against the run, but not a threat to rush at this point in his career. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Here is a draft thought: Dobson will be special and a reasonable replacement for Randy Moss but with a better team attitude. Boyce will be solid and a mix of Givens and Branch.

And them to Amendola, Jones, Edelman, Gronk, Hern, Ballard AND Vereen and this is a really solid group now and a very special group in a year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Nice thread and break down on the picks.

Here is a thought on DT. We have a bunch of young DTs most of whom are currently classified as solid/nothing special. We have added our CFLer and an old guy with a few more years left. People thought we should add another DT in the draft. So this is supposedly a 'deep' DT draft, but who are these guys - we had two taken in the early teens, 2 taken in the twenties, and 2 taken in the whole of the second round. And I didn't hear anyone screaming about some DT that was falling like a rock until no one took Jesse Williams through the third round.

So this 'deep' class consisted of no top ten talent, 4 1st rounders, and 2 second rounders - total of 6 DT taken through 66 picks. And this in a year where the usual front loading of QBs and other skill players didn't exist - 1 first round QB, no RBs, 3 WRs, 3 CBs, and 3 safeties. So 22 big bodies in the first round and only 4 of those were DTs.

What that suggests to me is outside the first few taken this deep DT class consisted of a bunch of jags. You could get excited about this one or that one, but the chance of the Pats actually improving on their own jags at DT was pretty minimal. And this deep class was really just deep in mediocrity.

I do think we need to draft some DT talent in the next couple of drafts, but I think BB didn't see anyone from 29 on that he actually felt could beat out the bodies he already had. They might have replaced one of the bench players, but not competed against the main rotation in the trenches.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kylerocks. Show kylerocks's posts

Really nice breakdown of BBs moves, which were indeed masterful.  It's hard to see the whole plan until it unfolds in its entirety and people are freaking out over where they were drafted because we've missed out on some extra value.  Thanks for some great perspective and insightful analyses.  I thought what they got for Patterson was incredible and then what Bill and Nick were able to do with this bounty will help change this D and this O for years.  Just amazing.  How freaking prepared does your staff have to be to start off with only a few picks and then doubling them in a day and then having 2 days to plot the course of Patriots for years to come.?  This trade could someday be spoken about like the Herschel Walker trade.  And then to be so aggressive in free agency and grab another taleNt like MoE, just wow.  Why is everyone so mad about this draft, I feel like It's Christmas and dad just got a raise.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Well pretty obvious-load up on Cover LBs - DBs and WRs - Pats biggest needs - gonna be a great camp-Gonna say it Now the Kid Josh Boyce is gonna be a stud and will outperform Dobson-you heard it here first-hE'S GONNA BE A BIGGER, FASTER  BRANCH-and become a favorite with MR. TB! I see Boyce as asmarter Steve Smith from Carolina--put it down on paper the kids smart fast and has great route running-Great pickup!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Great topic! I'll switch gears just a bit but before I do I want to thank all of you guys here at BDC.com your insight to your team combined with my own allowed me to get 4 articles published on footballnation.com under the name Charles Champagne. So thanks to all of you guys from me.Feel free to go over there and read the articles they were done with your help.

This in my opinion was the best FA group they've brought in to tryout for the team in awhile,yes i know you were discussing the draft and trying to grade it but I'm going to give some food for thought as to who might stick from the UDFA list either on the roster or on the PS. Josh Kline from Edelman's alma mater! This guy is a road grader in the running game,he ran a 5.00 40 and can play all line positions and did so at Kent St.,next guy on the list who in my opinion make one or the other PS or 53 man is Brandon Jones CB bet ya can't guess where he played his College ball! That's right another Scarlett Knight and he's got game.Runs a 4.5 40,and last year he swiped 5 passes and defended 9 others,that means with the draft choices and his signing we could field an all Scarlett Knight Defensive backfield,communication very important in the secondary and that Scarlett Knight defense was the #4 pass defense in the nation last year. Chris McDonald will be given a long look at the b/u interior line positions partly in thanks to his brother Nick. Next guy to watch really close is the two time Ray Guy award winning punter from Louisianna Tech Ryan Allen,Mesko better bring his A game. the next guy on the list is T.J. Moe this guy is one of MB's favs,kid had the fastest WR 3 cone at the combine 6.53 he's a strong SOB also it would be nice to see him make either PS or the team itself. Zach Sudfeld was one Colin Kapaernick's favorite guys at U-Nevada,he's got the hands and the size just needs a little more bulking he's a really good PS prospect but he's not alone because we know BB likes to double up and he did it at the TE's again by signing Brandon Ford from Clemson,big time talent he can play inline or in the Hernandez role of H-back. There are other guys from this years crop of UDFA's who could make this team or PS.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Say this about the Pats' draft picks - all fill a need and all add competition at positions where there is room for improvement.  I can't lie and say I've heard of every player they drafted, but I can see the rationale behind most of the picks. 

Re: Harmon, I can't understand why BB couldn't have traded out at #91 and added a pick or two extra for this year or next.  But whatever, the Pats personnel guys know better than we do about who they're drafting and what skill sets they're looking for.  Let's face it, S is a position that could stand some competition and Harmon looks like he could be a pretty good ST guy.  If he can play in the box and cover TEs, then great pick. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

some more random thoughts... Collins is a good name for a NE patriot (Tony Collins ).  Much better than crable for instance.

Logan Ryan sounds like he should play like Cortland Finnegan with some of that Irish firey grit going on.

Dobson and Boyce need good nicknames like Willie or Johnny that sound fast.  Aaron and josh sound like your high school book club at the jcc.

Duron sounds like a hitter.  Good special teams at least.

beauharnais and Buchanan , badass killer B's...?

other than that, we'll see in 4 months who has what it takes.  I like BBs drafts.  There is always something unusual or unpredictable. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

This was a typical Pats draft.

Has there seriously ever been a year where they didn't draft at least some unknown name? They do it every year, then all the whiners come out of the woodwork crying about how awful the draft was....which is pretty comical being that nobody really knows until we see these kids play.

It will be like every other draft, we will hit on some, and others will suck.....and the Pats will continue to have a shot almost every year. Yeah...we have it pretty good around here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rkarp1. Show Rkarp1's posts

Russty,

how many CB's do they keep and who are they? Ditto safeties? How many and who?

Obviously it is early, and no one has played yet, but take a stab at it.

I think they keep 5 CB and 5 S

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I cant disagree with much there. In terms of the Harmon kid, he was roomates with BB's son at Rutgers. I think thats the one reason they drafted him along with liking all the rutger players who come with a NFL ready mindset and are usually angels off the field, which BB loves. He knows they are gonna be about strictly football, but obviously in the case of  Harmon, good solid kid, but not on anyones radar. His name got some mention late when scouts noticed him while looking at Logan. I noticed him playing a lot of Cover 1 on film and making nice hits along the sidelines to break up plays. This is what I think attracted them. Another safety who can play free and strong and his pretty smart. Other than that, who knows how he does in the NFL , but Im not really mad at the pic cuz most my guys I liked were gone by then although I really Liked T.J. McDonald. They prefer smaller safeties who can cover as well as hit.

I dont have any favorite picks and I think outside maybe one or two kids ,most of these pics are guys being groomed for next year and will be brought along slow. Cunningham, Scott, Francis,etc all those guys are gone. Just got younger on the depth chart but too many DE's on the roster right now. Good competition in camp, no problem there. I like Boyce as a Givens type but faster. Logan will compete for the 4th CB spot. Harmon will redshirt under A.Wilson. Dobson will compete for an X position right away and J.Collins will be used as a situational pass rusher as soon as he is up to speed. I see maybe 2 guys making a regular impact and another 2 playing special teams. Last few picks redshirted but good draft.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

As per usual around this time of year, we have the knee jerk queens who apparently stared too long at KIper's toupee with a video game controller in one hand and something else no one wants to envision in the other.

Anyway, this is a good, solid draft that reminds me of 2011's where you know it's an easy B grade out of the gate, but you don't know how the rest of the pieces settle in necessarily right away.

Jamie Collins:  Know absolutely nothing about him, but I thought it was impressive he played Safety, then MLB and then DE, with some OLB in a 3-4 as well. Clearly, this is not lost on BB.  Some had him as a 1st rd talent, at least one team for sure.  At worst, he was a second rd talent and that's where they go him.   I noticed he has an incredible jumping ability and is a natural cover guy.  BB's personal visit down to Hattiesburg sealed this one.  Always watch where BB goes for "speaking engagements". He spoke last year in Lincoln and then took Dennard ini Rd 7. Nuff said.

Makes me think of two things: Coverage in case Spikes bolts for more money. Or, BB is moving to more of a 3-4 in 2013. He comes off as more of a 3-4 OLB to me.

Aaron Dobson: Obviously, screams range and red zone TD ability to go with the insane other talent Brady has at his disposal here already.    People have been clamoring for this for years, at least since Moss left. No excuse now.  Many, many other NFL execs love this kid.  He's an X or a Y.  Regardless, the windows should be bigger for Brady.

Logan Ryan: A weaker CB class, so it made sense to hit it before WR especially if they knew they could get their WR later.  Kid is quick, articulate, mature, a Schiano guy and projects to be a nickel immediately and could be a solid RCB here later on.  Can't hurt.  Good back up out of the gate. Knows how to play a good zone and press.  Nice.

Daron Harmon: This was the pick that people like to use to pretend BB has gone crazy, but it's clear what he's looking to do after the dust settles.   He wants continuity on the back end once Adrian Wilson retires. Little known fact via Tom Curran:   BB wanted to trade out of this #91 pick, but he thought so highly of Harmon and what it means in the near future on the back end, he took him anyway.   Speaks volumes to me, Kiper shuffling for paperwork or not. He hits, has very good instincts and had people raving at the Senior Bowl. A good kid, too. 

Josh Boyce:  I really dig this one.   I wanted Patton, but I am good with this one too because he serves a similar need. Zuri Berry at the Globe here, who has no anti-BB tone, had him pegged here as an option. I had no idea who he was but looked him up once mentoned last month.  Look at that 2nd gear.  Oh my.  The route running, good solid IQ, lines up all over. Very nice.  Lower the drawbridge, Tom. That's your new favorite WR.

Michael Buchanan:  What a steal.   BB had many scouts out in Champaign 2-3 weeks ago and this is the result. That's 2 Ron Zook guys in the last 2 years that some think aren't BB guys, but I beg to differ. Tavon Wilson had a nice finish in the nickel last year and this kid screams Chandler Jones but not as agile.   Not to worry.  Is he a 3-4 OLB? Regardless, pass rusher. Can't hurt, especially that late. Mr Toupee Kiper had him in the 3rd or 4th.

Steve Beauharnais:  Tracey White replacement.  Koukavides competition. Clearly smart, versatile reserve type MLB.   More Spikes insurance.

BB addressed NEED and doubled down in spots. When he does that, watch out. Did it with the TEs in 2010, the RBs in 2011.

Was a masterful move to get someone to trade into this weak upper tier and get an extra 7th to get Blount.  BB takes a flier on a power back because the Vikes wanted "Cordarrelle" Patterson. Anyone see how he showed up in Minny today? Lol. Kid looks about 16, ready to hang at the mall.  Jets couldn't trade back, Jax, many others, etc.  Thanks, BB.

Words I heard from BB were "smart" and "mature". We'll see, but I like those words.

PS Armstead is a bonus.  Reports, if true, are that he has looked "unreal" so far in the offseason.

Great post, Rusty.  I agree across the board.  I'm with you all the way on Boyce.  I loved that pick and I think that him and TB will get along just fine. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

Great topic! I'll switch gears just a bit but before I do I want to thank all of you guys here at BDC.com your insight to your team combined with my own allowed me to get 4 articles published on footballnation.com under the name Charles Champagne. So thanks to all of you guys from me.Feel free to go over there and read the articles they were done with your help.

This in my opinion was the best FA group they've brought in to tryout for the team in awhile,yes i know you were discussing the draft and trying to grade it but I'm going to give some food for thought as to who might stick from the UDFA list either on the roster or on the PS. Josh Kline from Edelman's alma mater! This guy is a road grader in the running game,he ran a 5.00 40 and can play all line positions and did so at Kent St.,next guy on the list who in my opinion make one or the other PS or 53 man is Brandon Jones CB bet ya can't guess where he played his College ball! That's right another Scarlett Knight and he's got game.Runs a 4.5 40,and last year he swiped 5 passes and defended 9 others,that means with the draft choices and his signing we could field an all Scarlett Knight Defensive backfield,communication very important in the secondary and that Scarlett Knight defense was the #4 pass defense in the nation last year. Chris McDonald will be given a long look at the b/u interior line positions partly in thanks to his brother Nick. Next guy to watch really close is the two time Ray Guy award winning punter from Louisianna Tech Ryan Allen,Mesko better bring his A game. the next guy on the list is T.J. Moe this guy is one of MB's favs,kid had the fastest WR 3 cone at the combine 6.53 he's a strong SOB also it would be nice to see him make either PS or the team itself. Zach Sudfeld was one Colin Kapaernick's favorite guys at U-Nevada,he's got the hands and the size just needs a little more bulking he's a really good PS prospect but he's not alone because we know BB likes to double up and he did it at the TE's again by signing Brandon Ford from Clemson,big time talent he can play inline or in the Hernandez role of H-back. There are other guys from this years crop of UDFA's who could make this team or PS.

Hey Man.  Awesome post and congrats on the publications!  That's great.  One more UDFA who I think has a chance to stick here is DT Cory Grissom out of USF.  He's more of an interior, double-team eater, and run stuffer type.  Currently he is 6'1" 306, and if he can add 10 lbs he could become another Kyle Love.  Many scouts had him as a 5th-7th round talent, so he isn't spectacular, but could emerge as a quality depth guy.  I liked this signing.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

"...  BB's personal visit down to Hattiesburg sealed this one.  Always watch where BB goes for "speaking engagements". He spoke last year in Lincoln and then took Dennard ini Rd 7. Nuff said. ..."

BB is going to be at Laboure College soon.

http://www.laboure.edu/COACH

And they don't even have a football team.   You think he's looking for a hybrid RN/DT?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Isn't Chris Carters kid named Duron?

Good post Rusty. I'm happy with this draft. We ger competetion in most placed in the D. I'm glad we grabbed another DT. Could be a camp body. I think the FO is on a mission this year. Improve the D give Tb some new toys. Should be an exciting season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

You could debate for the next two or three seasons if we picked the right player or not. However, BB addressed the needed areas and I think he did a reasonable job of getting good value for his picks. They were not high profile guys but they look to be solid performers and good people, at least through the first 4 rounds. There is one flyer in the 7th but it is worth a shot and if it does not work out, oh well...

Lastly, the UDFA's look good and we could see lots of good camp competition. 

I am excited to see the team start practicing and watching if Brady and his new receivers can get on board. I like the mix and added skills... here is hoping this puts us over the top for the playoffs and we have a great season....

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Greg Cosell: "Based on my film study really liked Pats picks WR Dobson and S Harmon. Harmon smart with excellent play recognition + awareness."

I will say this about Harmon.  Yeah he didn't get invited to the Combine, but he put up pretty good numbers at his pro day and he was 1st team all Big East twice.  Guy isn't a complete nobody.  I hope it works out.  Obviously good comments from a film guy like Cosell is nice too.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Greg Cosell: "Based on my film study really liked Pats picks WR Dobson and S Harmon. Harmon smart with excellent play recognition + awareness."

I will say this about Harmon.  Yeah he didn't get invited to the Combine, but he put up pretty good numbers at his pro day and he was 1st team all Big East twice.  Guy isn't a complete nobody.  I hope it works out.  Obviously good comments from a film guy like Cosell is nice too.

sounds like the stuff that you can't teach...  Instinct, football IQ, plus he hits .  Do you think the combine snub could be a chip on the shoulder motivator ? I read an inyerview he gave where he talked about the expectation of playing special teams as a starting position for the nfl.  Sounds like a BB guy.

should be fun to watch the safety position this year.  All kinds of possibilities . 

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.