Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

[Quote]Hogrulz,

Ok even better...but I'm not sure BB will want to move up any further than 10 because it becomes cost prohibitive and Maualuga seems to be more of a pure ILB than Curry anyways, who projects to go even lower than 10.

And I definitely agree that Denver will want multiple picks in the first round to rebuild their non-existent D.

What's the deal with Tank Williams this time around?
    [/Quote]

This is why the highest the Pats would go is 10th overall. I think Curry would be good at OLB or ILB (he played both in college), however I don't think the Pats are about to trade with anyone that's in the top 8 including KC, St. Louis or Detroit. Either way, I hope the Cassel situation is resolved by draft time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

I am liking English more and more. If Sintim has been taken the Pats might grab him. I've seen mocks where the Pats get Jenkins, I can't see that happening because it seems he would be gone by #23. I acutually think the PATS 2nd and 3rd round picks are more interesting based on who could be available.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft

I'd really like to hear that Cassel would be excited to play for SF, Min, Detroit, Tampa, WAS, and any other potentially interested team, so that an all out bidding war can run its natural course.

If the Pats say that they want to help accomodate Matt, and Matt only likes a team or two, that would greatly hamper the Patriots trade negotiations. Especially if Matt threatened to stay with the Pats as backup if he didn't get traded to a specific team.

At this point I'd be happy with a straight up trade for SF's #10. Maualuga would be the perfect compliment to Mayo, they would have a ready-made nickname (M&M), and the strength of the linebacking core would soften the blow if and when Wilfork or Seymour are lost to free agency.

Drafting a DE to play OLB has some serious risks, and I'd rather have the LB position addressed before the 23rd pick.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from gtg5017. Show gtg5017's posts

Draft

[Quote]Scout.com tracks their weight out of highschool.

He weighs in at like 245 for games, and probably wants it to hit 250 before the draft. 236 is probably a listed weight from some time ago.[/Quote]

Z, i'm pretty sure 236 was Maybin's weight at the start of this season. JoePa has openly complained about Maybin not being able to put on much weight and there's even a Facebook group down here at Penn State (started by his teammates) that jokingly states its purpose is to help him fight annorexia. He's a freakish 2% body fat. lol

Aside from that, I can't see BB taking him because he is SOO raw. BB took Mayo because he was able to make an IMMEDIATE impact...I don't see him spending a 1st round pick on something as risky as a project player...prime example: Vernon Gholston. remember him? lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

Draft

[Quote]I'd really like to hear that Cassel would be excited to play for SF, Min, Detroit, Tampa, WAS, and any other potentially interested team, so that an all out bidding war can run its natural course.

If the Pats say that they want to help accomodate Matt, and Matt only likes a team or two, that would greatly hamper the Patriots trade negotiations. Especially if Matt threatened to stay with the Pats as backup if he didn't get traded to a specific team.

At this point I'd be happy with a straight up trade for SF's #10. Maualuga would be the perfect compliment to Mayo, they would have a ready-made nickname (M&M), and the strength of the linebacking core would soften the blow if and when Wilfork or Seymour are lost to free agency.

Drafting a DE to play OLB has some serious risks, and I'd rather have the LB position addressed before the 23rd pick.[/Quote]

I agree...if I could get Maualuga straight up for Cassel I'm pulling the hell out of that trigger. I think a lot of folks are assuming that Cassel is going to be in high demand...which doesn't necessarily seem to be the case because there are only a handfull of teams that need to address starting QB and at least a couple will address that through the draft. That means we're really only looking at a couple teams and if we franchise Cassel and get stuck with him we're pretty cap fu.cked...which means that we don't have as much leverage as we might if Cassel wasn't tagged.

Therefore I don't think Belichick is going to try to squeeze maximum value out of Cassel, but rather get what he can because getting anything is better than getting stuck with that cap hit or the nothing we would've got had we not
    franchised him (assuming we do).

If our first 4 picks were Maualuga, Alphonso Smith, Pat Chung and Derrick Williams I'd be pumped....but I'm mostly likely dreaming.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

I am just going by what Maybin himself said. He said he has weighed in between 242 adn 245 and wants to get to 250 before the next weigh in at the combine.

Yeah, weight has been an issue for him because he has been playing on the ground. Being drafted as a DE helps your paycheck because they tend to make more money than linebackers, and it opens up a host of teams to your services. But I think he is dreaming, which was my point in the beginning.

As it stands even if he makes the weigh in at 250, which they claim he will, it is still waifish to play defensive end in any pro defense. Like I mentioned before if he sneaks past SF he might fall hard because NJ has a ton invested in OLB already and SD has other needs. Unless of course a 4-3 team wants to stand him up behind a DE, but it would be a bit of a waste at that?

And yes, I really don't see BB drafting a sophmore to play one of the three most mentally challenging spots on defense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft

It's a good dream though

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft

Nice dream ush,
    Smith and Chung could very well end up Patriots, Mauluga will require a trade up, and if it happens then u bet we can get him. Im not sure on Williams, looks like a high 2nd rounder to me. Maybe Devin Moore, RB, Wyoming, could be our version of Chris Johnson.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft

Actually Scratch the Moore pick, I say we pick local boy Donald Brown out of UConn, TD machine and a decent pass catcher (21 receptions) take him with our 2nd rd pick

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Draft

One possibility that i see for the pats is Nic Harris, he is a strong saftey/linebacker and can be had for a 3rd or 4th round pick

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft

I just don't see why these boards don't update faster!!! Sorry for the off-topic remark.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALAN2012. Show ALAN2012's posts

Draft

I have no idea how the Cassel saga will play out, but I think at the end of the day Clint Sintim will be a Patriot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft

For all you big Mel Kiper fans out there. Mel has Maualuga at 19 and dropping...you know, the down pointing red arrow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/melkiper/index

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft

Did he f@rt or something since the Senior Bowl? I hope to learn more in the coming hours/days before the Combine.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft

joshuatree

I like Nic Harris also. He looked like he covered well in pratice. But practice is practice. I didn't notice him in the game. I tivo'ed it so I'll go back and look again. Harris is listed at 6'3" 230lbs. Harris is closest to Bo Rudd at 6'3" 235 and Tank Williams at 6'2" 223lbs

I also won't to see if Ayers from TN can drop in coverage. Maybe he could be a later round pick up as a DE/OLB convert. At the very least I think he could be a 3rd and long pure pass rush guy.We've all seen how that's went lately for the Pats. Some people think Maybin could be a pick that makes the switch. Maybin looks to go earlier so I think that's just to much risk. We need sure things in the early rounds. English looked good in the game at OLB. I can see why he's on the rise.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

I think Maualuga is just getting forced down because other players are being pushed up.

He is a very physical presence, but isn't elite fast. He is very instinctual but isn't a film junky. Perhaps Mel and a few other think those attributes will be in high demand? Perhaps the OLB/De presence in this year's draft is forcing him down.

I know Laurinaitis is plunging too. Maybe it is an ILB thing?

Either way I see the trend.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft

Z, I think Kiper understands that he needs to mix up his rankings a bit to generate readership and discussion. The two ILBs have been a part of the draft conversation for two years now, so they aren't new or exciting to Kiper's readers.

I think Maualuga has as good a chance at being a Pro Bowler as a rookie as anybody, and since he is much better known than some of the other rising prospects, its easy to nitpick his game and put a down arrow next to his name. Just my 2 cents.

As far as Laurenaitis, I'm wondering if he could play some of that role that BB envisioned for Tank Williams last year, dropping back a little bit, in addition to more traditional IlB duties.

I'd be happy to land either, but happier with Maualuga.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

Didn't Kiper call Mankins and Wilfork reaches ? There is a reason he is on ESPN and not GM of a reputable NFL team. I still believe it would be difficult for the Pats to get Mauluaga at #23. He was, arguably, (with Taylor Mays) the best defensive player on one of the best defenses in the country. Heck Kiper probably had him rated in the top ten if he declared last year. The only thing (hope, hope) that can cause his slippage to continue is a poor showing at the combine. I do believe that Laurenaitis could fall to #23 more so than Maualuaga....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft

I like Maualuga alot, but I don't think the Pats should trade up for him unless he drops out of the top 15. If he's there at #17 or something like that and the Pats think he's their guy then go for it.

This is huge year for the Pats and they need to find guys for the future. Trading picks to move would cost them some elite picks(2nd/3rd rnd) and I just don't see that happening. Hopefully I'm wrong and we do land someone like Maualuga or Everette Brown.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft

Like I have said before, that 23 spot looks sweet for now. There are several LBs to look at as well a couple of CBs. If you don't get one you just pick the other. This is no need to move around in the first round.

One note on Kiper. He's all over the place all the time just before the draft. Nobodies draft board looks like his. I believe what arodrambone said. He mixes it up to create dialog.
    JohnHanna - Mankins was called a reach by a lot of folks. Wilfork fell to us so I doubt he was concidered a reach. At the time it was the perfect pick for the Pats. Wilfork was a top 15 on everyones draft board that I saw at the time. I remember wishing for the Pats to move up and get him somehow thinking that that would never happen. I couldn't believe it when we landed him!
    Personally, I'm not a real big fan of Maualuga. But, that's just me. I'm more excited about landing Laurinaitis who has the same size and is faster.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Kiper (and a bunch of other people)thought Warren was a bit of areach. Wilfork was a bit of a coup, or at least was regarded as such in the media.

Laurinaitias isn't the same size. He is ten-fifteen lbs ligheter (depending on where you look) and it a lot lankier. They are so different, Maualuga blows up blockers and JL has trouble shedding them.

I know some people like JL, but I think he would be a huge mistake, and would bust hard here. Just my two cents.

Hmm, moving up for Maualuga a few spots might be doable, but I don't think it matters. If you want to be sure of getting him you need to be at 15 before NJ and SD select.

And moving too much higher starts raising the salary at an order of magnitude, and raises how much you need to give up to get there, at which point you start to wonder if you would be better off taking what is at #23.

Sitting at 17 is NJ, BTW, what are the chances they deal their pick so NE can get itsguy? LOL.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Haha, Guys.

This is turning into last year's thread all over again. I remember at one point after USC had Maualuga's commitment that the talk about him kept going for weeks and we had to make a resolution to end it.

I guess this year's Maualuga was Taylor Mays, but not as bad.

The crowd can smell blood in the Maualuga hunt, but I seriously think he will go before NE selects (like we figured last season) so maybe we should talk about other players?Just in case, you know, NE can't get Maualuga. LOL.

But seriously, keep the good posts coming everyone this is another great draft thread!

Z

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft

Yeah, Wilfork fell to us. Warren was considered a slight reach but not by too much.

Very interesting point Z about Maualuga potentially being a liability on 3d down. I'm still unsure how bad he is in coverage, and what the results showed on the field. Would you rather have Laurenaitis? If Maualuga's coverage is adequate, his bruising hits might make up for it, especially late in the game after the starting RB has been drilled 7-10 times already. I guess I'll be looking at the linebacker drills at the combine, for whatever that may be worth.

I think Cushing would be a very safe pick, even if he would seem to duplicate Thomas to a degree. Maybe his pass rushing is underrated. I still wonder if Michael Johnson could make the switch and develop some technique and motivation. He would block a hell of a lot of passes, and some field goals as well. He'd probably get killed against the run though.