Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Draft

I don't really mind that pick. Smith seems a great fit for the system. I'd prefer that pick though in the second round over the first though. In his mock, Laurinaitis is probably my choice though I would have a tough time passing Moreno.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

I don't like the Animal.

Apart from my regular objection to big ten defenders who look faster than they are, if you watch him play he is the type of guy who does much better with protection.

I felt the same way about Dan Connor last year.

I would take a couple corners over Smith. I am not sure he is round one talent, although a big combine could help him.

Things that work in his favor? He didn't play in a system where he was surrounded by talent, so WYSIWYG. He is known for making good reads.

Moreno could be a good option, I was thinking about him earlier, but I don't think NE needs a RB like that. He likely wouldn't be the every down guy, and I don't think the offense has the carries he would need, unless NE did a lot less spread.

I think the Maroney project gets one more season for ill or for well.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Draft

I hope we dont take either. Smith is too short, I just want one decent 5'11" to 6'1" corner to assist in the red zone and that can jump.
    Laurinaitis makes allot of plays, but seems to me to be few behind the line, not many true impact plays. We dont need a guy that cleans up garbage in the first, we need a difference maker.
    I would much rather grab Brinkley with our 2nd as a ILB, assuming Maluaga (sp?) doesn't fall to us in the first somehow

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Draft

i don't see us going with an outside linebacker in this draft. i think we have the players there right now with Vrabel, AD, Redd, Crabel, and potentially Woods. A guy like Brian Cushing (or if we some how got a top 10 pick Aaron Curry) though could be an interesting pick as he (they) could project to an inside or outside linebacker position. Right now, that's the perfect help for us in terms of pass rushing, run defense, and youth in the front 7.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Personally, I agree, but it si nice to talk about options.

I look at it this way. NE could draft:

The odds that Crable and Rudd will both work out to be NFL starters is long. It just doesn't happen that way. I immediately think of the age on the outside.

But then going into the season with the kind of DB (?) that Ne has has to worry them.

I still think OL with their first pick is a good choice if the right guy falls. Becuase it insures them against the loss of Mankins or simply upgrades Kaczur/Light.

Sane and sensible I say. LOL.

But at the same time they need to address what happened last season.

Against a really weak schedule their defense looked average.

I think we can all agree this means more pressure, better coverage or both.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidwa. Show davidwa's posts

Draft

RE A Smith, He is 5'9 however he's got the speed & hands to make QB's pay for mistakes. He may be the best playmaker at DB in the draft. I usually don't pay attention to verticle jumps but what if he shows excellent jumping ability. What DB is going to cover an elite WR like L Fitzgerald without help from a safety anyway. It will depend upon who may slide in the draft to NE but he may not be a bad pick.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Davidwa,

Ellis Hobbs Plaxico Burress, SB42. LOL.

But seriously, it isn't a huge factor, I would take the best corner available as opposed to the biggest any day.

That said, to capitalize on a player like this you need him at a value point, not in the first when he is on the bubble. He isn't tall, he isn't physical and can't press, those aren't hyper necessary here, but elsewhere they are so taking him #23 seems a little "reachy" to me.

But if they thought he was the piece that is missing go for it.

As it stands I am sure he will get a workout with the Pats brass, at least for the way he has played at the senior bowl practices (3INT in three days).

Like you said, a lot depends on the combine numbers he puts up. If he shows he can jump, and comes out with the timed speed and shuttle speed people expect he could rise to the point where a #23 is worth it.

God knows NE needs some help in the secondary.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Draft

Z,

how do you know so much about football?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

obv u take the better corner uless ur ne we shouldnt take hims a double of wheatly and hobbs. it has been said NE is looking for an asmouga type db such as dom. johnson

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Draft

Johnson is one that intrigues me. He has the size we need, does he have the NFL level skills? havent seen enough film on him yet, but as the draft gets closer I will be watching

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

I would take whoever is the best corner available. If it is a choice between him and some 6'2" scrub who can't cover I take him.

As far as I have read, NE wants to inject talent in the secondary. I have also read that they won't make any FA moves that are large this offseason.

So who knows.

We are just speculating on the draft here. I think Sean Smith, is the kid in this draft who is most like that modern Ace corner build (6'-6'2" 195-200) after Jenkins who will be long gone when NE is called. I watched the Utes play Bama, that is it. Like Jenkins did against non Big ten opponents, he actually looked like he had aplce outside his weak conference. That is good.

Many scouts think he is better than Alphonso, but some think Alphonso is better. Alphonso looked great the whole senior bowl week and really demonstrated that from a pure coverage perspective he is the best coming out this season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Draft

ZB in that case you should run our draft :) LOL

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Johnson is the exact example of why you overlook physical ability in favor of skills.

Alphonso was on recievers like glue all week and Johnson looked lanky and sloppy, not tall and powerful.

I would take Smith over Johnson as my corner every day without thinking about it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

I thought we were just going to hit the "EASY" button and be done with it. LOL.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Draft

ZB, I wasnt saying to blow our 1st rounder on any tall CB. I just think we have enough 5'9" ish guys, and one good taller one would be a boost to our D. For that I like Johnson in the 2nd. Smith is a great potential player as well, but I think we end up at safety. So yes we can use him, just not sure if he is a CB in the pros. We know BB wont take any scrubs

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Oh my response was really directed at my pal RandyMossinthem.

Dom Johnson does not = Asomugha. At least not this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft

People need to let it go on Hobbs in the SB. It was a all out blitz on D which means in all likelyhood that Plax should have run the slant(inside) or the blitz should have got there.Hobbs was beat on the same play call earlier in the game in which Plax ran the slant.
    Not trying to bashing anyone.

Now back to the draft

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft

"I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night."

Classic! ZB you certainly have a high football IQ, did you play college football at all or maybe even coach college ball?

Here's one Mock-Draft that leaves me scratching my head and asking myself would the Pats take Clay Matthews over a player like Michael Johnson, if he was still on the board? I didn't think Matthews looked that good last night in the Senior Bowl to be considered a 1st rnd talent. Same goes with Brian Cushing.
    Robert Ayers played well last night and I was just wondering what you guys on the board think of him? Also I regret putting Alex Mack as my 1st rnd pick after watching him get manhandled all night, but he wasn't the only one on that line. Who impressed you guys if you happend to watch the game?

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/01/nfp-mock-draft-updated/

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft

I hope we can get Malaluga. Just think about it. Where would you run the ball at Seymour, AD,Malaluga or Warren,Vrable, Mayo Or maybe straight at Wilfork,Mayo,Malaluga
    I thought Chung, Malaluga,Alphonso Smith and Robert Ayers all made a cases for himselves at the SR Bowl. Still maybe Guyton works out for us at ILB and we target Chung or safety/LB hybird. I just don't see James Sanders in enough piles in the secondary or up in run support.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

i like the maluga idea as well although he wont be around unless we get a higher pic .... ZB i didnt directyly say dom johnson was amouga bet i meant in relative size they are about the same ... dom is a little small in wieght but he seemed to cover well .... if you think we should take alphonso then i would just say are dbs are fine he is a double of wheatly sam size same speed and will get picked in the same round thats all we need a big corner who we can bring in for goal line or to cover bigger recievers who hobbs cant even touch thats all. Sean Smith From Utah or Dom. Johnson is who we need in are secondary not three eliss hobbs who get burnt keep in mind ... alphonso was going up agiasnt collgege players not pro .. wide outs .... alphonso is just to small and i would be very suprised if we picked him if is around really late then ok take him 3rd round wich is not likely .... but hey idk u did stay at Holiday Inn Express Last Night

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft

Robert Ayers was low on the radar until the Senior Bowl practices started. He got noticed. So far, kinda reflective of Mayo last year.

Alphonso Smith can play CB. His height really bugs me though. Hobbs has jumping ability too. Holds one of the heighest record verticle jumps in the combine. After his performance last night I wonder how far up the ladder he got moved.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft

If Keshawn Moreno or Beanie Wells slips to us do we take them? I would consider it, it may not be the biggest need, but at that juncture the value may be too good to take a pass

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft

But I would prefer Meluga, who would wanna run the ball against a front 7 of Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, AD, Mayo, Meluga, and Vrabel. I sure wouldn't

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

What's up moss,

I wouldn't worry about Wheatley and doubles. I have a hunch that FO will evaluate that selection again in light of his wrist. I was all for it when it happened, figuring thatthey knwe more about his wrist than we did from scouting reports.

But the knock on the kid was that he would never play a full season in the NFL because his wrist had been shattered and repaired so much that it was like glass.

Second, Alphonso Smith is in another league talent wise when you compare him to Hobbs. Hobbs is a solid corner, great returner. Smith has the potential to be an elite cover corner at any level. Yeah, they are both 5'9". But Hobbs rarely gets burned because of height, he gets burned because he isn't super fast, and misses his assignments and is more of a zone corner. Smith is a human torch. If he can be more aggressive in run support he could be like Antoine Winfield type player who is short but is awesome. Hobbs hasn''t had that performance in the NFL.

ITis OK to not like Smith.

Oh, and I also like Sean Smith too. I think Either of them are better selected in the high second. But that is just me. It comes down to value points.