Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft

Z, I was just re-reading Shawn Crable's scouting report on NFL.com:
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/shawn-crable?id=214

I'm guessing he will be improved this year, hopefully with stronger legs. I'm trying to compare him to Michael Johnson, who seems to be slightly better in just about every category. But probably not so much better that they would pick him with #23.

Michael Johnson is the player who I would have the most regret if we passed him over and he turned out to be great. But Groves was somewhat similar last year, dropped in the draft, and didn't do much for Jacksonville.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Most of his issues are mechanical and mental. He was a leader, but never a wizkid like Mayo. Like a lot of tall players in the back eight (seven in 4-3) mechanics mean more than anything. You need knowledge of leverage to really use that frame. It is much easier to coach backpedal and leverage blocking to a 6'2" linebacker than a 6'6" linebacker and much easier to teach a 5'10" corner to break down tackle or pivot than a 6'3" corner. I think a player to look at is Jason Taylor who learned how to use his body correctly and was the most dominant DE/OLB hybrid in the game in his tenure.

Michael Johnson compares to Jason Taylor as well. I persoally agree, and I would rank him slightlty above where I had Crable last year. Faucetman called Crable in the third for NE so props to that guy wherever he is. Johnson doens't have (or really play with ) the strength that Crable has, but he is more disruptive around the corner. Like I said, Johnson sat out of the Senior Bowl so a LOT rides on how he does in the combine.

Can he post the ridiculous fast mid 4.5 times some people say he can? Can he prove he hsa upper body strength to go with that massive 6'7" frame?? Most importantly, how will he look in position drills?

We know he is remarkably quick and agile, which are two things NE loves in its defenders. But can he look the part?

Groves landed in the worst possible spot. I couldn't understand why Jax wanted him anyhow, as he is tiny for a DE.

The bottom line for me is that he is on the bubble. I think in retrospect I might even just leave him out. Maybe that opens a door for a small school kid like Delmas or Sean Smth?

If Ne hasn't taken a LB and Johnson is there in the second he becomes almost irresistable, but then projecting what BB likes at OLB is hard. Iwas against Crable last season, but then realized that he fits a mold that BB has drafted toward before. So maybe they tap it again?

To be honest, I am not really high on many of these defensive ends that are in there. Which is why I keep saying that if BB likes any of them he may get a crack because there is a ton of hype, and aside from Brown none of them really jump out at me as a difference maker at the next level.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

BTW, that is 400 posts so far guys. Congrats. Keep the good stuff coming.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzCal. Show BuzzCal's posts

Draft

Boy...there are a lot of insightful people on this board which makes it fun to read. I hope we go with another LB or a CB in the first round. We need the ability to leave a CB in single coverage on a WR so BB can work some of his great defensive schemes. The situation with our CB's last year made us have to play with a lot of safety help over the top and didn't allow us to mix things up when rushing the passer. I really hope Rodney makes it back for one more season so he and Merriweather can lay the wood on some people! I look forward to hearing more comments here on the draft.

http://www.buzzcal.com

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

Draft

Yeah, where is Faucetman this year? Nice post about Crable. Hopefully he gets his technique down. Being so high cut, he has his work cut out for him.

The more I look at all the draft prospects, the more I wonder about trading down to the top of the second round, if it would mean picking up a very high 3rd as well.

I know we have tons of picks, but we could then trade back up, so we'd end up drafting three of the first 14 picks of the second round. Pick up a CB, LB, and OL who all garnered first round consideration.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Buzzcal,

I have mixed feelings on Rodney's return.Part of me wants him back, but another part knows he hasn't been the same dominant force in a few years. I am secretly hoping they can find the "next" Harrison soon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

I don't mind picking #23.

The money isn't ridiculous and it gives you a better shot at some players that might not be there. Plus as a first round pick the player can be signed for five seasons, at least if I remember the rule. So five years at $10 million is a decent price to get a player you want.

At least last season there was some anxiety over the cash involved in signing Mayo. Good that it worked out though.

I think NE already has two thrid rounders this season. I hope they spend one on a player like Javon Ringer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzCal. Show BuzzCal's posts

Draft

zbellino,

I was hoping Rodney's mentoring of Merriweather would help to ensure our future success at the Safety position. Merriweather can hit and did a lot of work in the offseason to get better with his hands. I really feel Rodney has 1 good year left but should not be expected to play 1 on 1 coverage as in the past...Dallas Clarke comes to mind. We will see.

Please checkout my new website...Buzzcal

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Maybe we should start a "Where's Faucetman" thread?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft

Great posting indeed. I been all over the web today and did'nt see anything close.
    How come the longer I don't see Maualuga play the less I love him? I'm not saying I would take a pass on him but we could go other routes.
    Maybe Guyton( because he was'nt playing because of injury)
    Maybe Vrabel goes back inside.
    Someone else besides me mentioned Zach Thomas which I can see. He said he would not be back in Dallas and was playing in 09'.
    I'm thinking more of who's there for us Alphonso Smith, DJ Moore or replace J.Sanders

As for Meriweather put on the 20lbs to use the shoulder blows to force fumbles and wrap-up low sometimes to save some for when you mean it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

m

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Draft

Faucetman 446580
    Comments: 642

5/18/2008 2:49:36 PM

zb,
    I agree totally.� Next year is also a good draft year for OL so I think it would depend on who is there at #32 whether we take a DT or a OL first.� Signing Wilfork is going to be key.� Seymour is gone after 2009 maybe sooner if he doesn't have a solid year this year.
    I also agree with TE and RB as Faulk is really getting up there.� We might be okay at SS depending on which of these new guys shows promise there.�

What's so special about faucetman?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft

Who's to look at for safety besides Chung.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft

Faucetman and 53men contributed alot in last years draft thread. Last thing I remembered Faucetman posting was he owned his own business and was really busy with work. That's my guess!

Thank goodness for this thread because most of the other threads are full of trolls and their continued nonsense each and every day. Oh well f*ck'em.

I can see Z. Thomas signing with the Pats after what he went through in Dallas. After visiting NE last year he knows what to expect and all that good stuff. The only thing for me is what kind contract would he be looking for? The Pats need depth at ILB and IMO Izzo(Special team guy anyways) and Alexander won't be brought back. So that leaves them with Mayo, Bruschi, Guyton, and Ruud on the inside. I'm not sure what to expect from Ruud because of injury and we all know this will be Bruschi's last year.

What's everyones opinion on Jasper Brinkley and where do you see him coming off the board? 3rd, 4th or 5th round?

If Rodney does retire do the Pats draft Nic Harris and try to clone him like they tried doing with Tank Williams S/LB?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ush. Show ush's posts

Draft

Nic Harris has been mentioned as a good option several times. Is he enough of a genius for BB to consider him?

Buzzcal...welcome to the board...I checked your site and it looked pro, but I'm too much of a junkie to need your site to tell me when my teams play. I got that on lock well in advance...lol. I suppose others are busier and less addicted than I am though. Good luck with it!!

Yeah last year 53men was all over this board with some good opinionated input (he was adamant we shouldn't take Ellis or Dorsey and he was right) and this year I guess we're not paying him enough...lol. Sorry 53...budget's tight this year, not a lot of cap room to work with. And of course we miss the Faucetman too. Plenty of us to keep it going though!

I'd like to see us get a TE that can catch a football in this draft. Ben Watson has gotten worse and worse...to the point I'm yelling at Cassel if he even threw him the ball anywhere but wide open in the end zone (cuz then he can't fumble).

What's the deal with BB not wanting to play D. Thomas at least in passing situations? The guy has great hands...and the penalty in Indy seemed like a case of not hearing the whistle. BB cost us that game in my opinion by calling that TO when we had the 1st @ the Indy 5. Gaffney didn't help either, but that would've been forgotten had we finished that drive and with a 1st down @ the 5 it was looking pretty good. Oh well.

Percy Harvin may be the best available player @ #23...I know everyone's thinking D, but if you're just basing the pick on value...I gotta feeling that kid is this year's Chris Johnson in terms of having an instant impact as an offensive playmaker.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzCal. Show BuzzCal's posts

Draft

ush,

I really appreciate you checking out my site. We created it so Sport's Fans have a place to easily manage the schedules of multiple teams across multiple leagues. When you are looking to follow many teams across multiple Leagues it is tough to remember when they play so that is where we come in. We display your teams in an easy to view calendar and then provide you email and text alerts reminding you of their game times all for free. If anyone has any ideas please drop a message at our blog Buzzcal.com/blog

I am a born and raised New Englander who moved to Atlanta 3 years ago and I really miss talking New England Sport's. It was nice to have a New England link this year with Dimetrov and Ryan on the Falcons. I am really enjoying all the talk on this board.

BuzzCal

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft

BuzzCal, just checked out your website and I think that's a great idea. Celtics are on at 7 tonight and if the superbowl blows I know what I'll be watching!

Ush, as far as TE go a couple of guys have mentioned James Casey TE 6'4'' 235 lbs Rice. He's a little older for a prospect because he played minor league baseball before attending Rice. Sounds like a BB kind of guy played RB, QB, and TE throughout his career and he's smart to boot. Here's his bio.

http://riceowls.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/casey_james00.html

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft

ush
    I would like the Harris pick. I think he's got alot of up-side and don't care to switch pos. to get into the game.

Not to sure how to guage Harvin. Is he a Reggie Bush. No one saw Chris Johnson or Desean Jackson as great picks at the time.

We must get a TE this year that is ready to go. freshkick looks like he's found a WINNER. How's this kid not the talk of the draft at TE? Casey's second team Academic All American honors,Carries a 3.84 GPA with a triple major, and 2nd in the nation with 104 catches,5th in the nation with 1,217 receiving yards.WOW!! Don't understand D. Thomas not cracking the line up myself.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Whether or not Harvin is BPA depends on who else is there. If Davis, Oher, Brown, Hicks, or Moreno are there, I would rate all of them above Harvin.

Although Harvin is dynamic. Just my opinion though.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft

A new draft after hearing about Casey, should be available in Rd 3

#1 pk 22 (For Cassel)-Clint Stinm-OLB-Virginia
    #1-D.J. Moore-CB-Vanderbilt
    #2-(SD)-Duke Robinson-OG-Oklahoma
    #2-Donald Brown-RB-UConn
    #3-James Casey-TE-Rice
    #3 (Comp)-Nic Harris-SS/OLB-Oklahoma
    #4-Rames Barden-WR-Cal Poly
    #5-Jasper Brinkley-MLB-S. Carolina
    Go BA at T, DT, C, DE with next picks

Please Comment

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

LOL.

I loved Johnson and Jackson coming out. I had this hope that Johnson would tumble and NE could get a crack at him. Harvin is a lot like Johnson, but he played at a much better school Florida is a beast.

But then again, NE is a beast as well. Stated like that Harvin looks better LOL. Harvin could be a great pick, but I still can't help but think that the defense or O-line gets attention this time around.

Also, I had Jackson in the low first, and couldn't understand why he fell behind Jordy Nelson, Avery and Thomas. OK, I liked Hardy and Royal, but those guys were like what? But I still made out because Jackson was a great #3 fantasy WR this season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Draft

this board just does not update

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

Draft

I believe James Casey to be a mid to late 2nd rounder. I like the idea of Nic Harris for the 3rd round pick.

I'm not big on the Cassel trade thing but one thing to concider is most teams try to hold on to their draft pick for this year and sell off their first pick for the next year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft

titletown:

You thinking Stinm or another player could move Vrabel inside