Draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

i like cushing big strong but just ok edge rusher. looks roided out to haha

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

Draft

I dont know about the first round but i really like Nic Harris out of Oklahoma, and he fits in the system cause hes that SS/linebacker hybrid that BB likes

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdcfreshkickz9. Show jdcfreshkickz9's posts

Draft

To be honest I really don't care for Maybin and I'm just guessing at who may still be on the clock at #23. Also not a fan of Cushing and I'd rather see the Pats draft Matthews in the late 2nd or 3rd round. Matthews plays with a high motor and you just can't teach that to a player, they have to want it.
    Something Different Mock Draft
    (Not including comp picks)
    Rnd 1-Alex Mack C/OL Cal or Sean Smith CB/S(?) Utah

Rnd 2-Louis Delmas S Western Michigan
    Rnd 2-Clay Matthews OLB USC

Rnd 3-Derrick Williams WR PSU(imo he won't be around this late, but here's to hoping) or Jasper Brinkley ILB South Carolina

Rnd 4-Connor Barwin TE/DE Cincinnati

Rnd 5-Robert Ayers DE Tennessee or Roy Miller DT Texas

Rnd 6-Gartrell Johnson RB Colorado St.

Rnd 7-Xavier Fulton OL Illinois

Thoughts?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

gatrell is a green ellis type we need explosive rb

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Haha, have you seen the before and after photosof Cushing.

In like two years he put on like 50lbs of pure muscle. It is hilarious.

My main objection is that when I watch him he is playing cleanup. It is always Maualuga making the plays.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

Draft

In my opinion, unless a Maualuga or Laurinaitis are available (both are sliding on many mock drafts, although I don't believe that this will actually bear out in come draft day) then I would personally rather ther Patriots just trade out of the 1st round for a 2nd rounder this year and a 1st rounder for next year.

I'm not really sold on the talent towards the end of the 1st round filling our greatest needs and feel that having 3 2nd rounders this year would be good value. Plus if Cassel is traded for a 1st rounder, then under this scenario mentioned above that would give us 3 1st rounders for next years' draft.

Think about it, we have do many key free agents after next season that we can't possibly sign them all. Therefore having the extra picks could really help out to ensure that the team doesn't regress.

I think that now is time for the Pats to sit down with Seymour's agent and find out what kind of deal can be work out. If it's economical then great, otherwise I say that we should be proactive and look to trade him either during this offseason or next year after slapping the franchise tag on him a la Cassel.

Wilfork is someone that we absolutely have to sign no matter what!

Matt Light, Cya. Mankins, my gut feeling is that he ends up elsewhere due to his prohibitive cost as the Pats don't normally like to break the bank on O'lineman.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

i hate wen it doesnt sho comments

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RandyMossinThem. Show RandyMossinThem's posts

Draft

i agree unless some 1 good falls get out of 1st rnd

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

I'm sold on the talent in this draft.

I like the OT crop. I like the LB crop more than last season.

I like the DE/OLB crop, even though the good ones might be gone.

I don't see thePats stockpiling for later on, because they have needs that need to be addressed and the draft is the least expensive means of doing it.

I wish there were better CBs up top, but I think they get by.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from angel3781. Show angel3781's posts

Draft

[Quote]I'm sold on the talent in this draft.

I like the OT crop. I like the LB crop more than last season.

I like the DE/OLB crop, even though the good ones might be gone.

I don't see thePats stockpiling for later on, because they have needs that need to be addressed and the draft is the least expensive means of doing it.

I wish there were better CBs up top, but I think they get by.[/Quote]

That's just it! Like I was alluding to earlier, there's some great talent at the top with regards to positions that happen to be need areas for us, but then towards the bottom of the 1st round you're looking at a huge drop off if you're still focusing on need rather than best player available.

I do see the Pats stockpiling for later because that's their M.O. and in this case I think it might be the more preferred route. Also, They already have two 2nd rounders and moving out of the first round should net the Pats an additional 2nd rounder this year which would leave them with three 2nd rounders to go along with their two 3rd rounders for this draft. Trust me, there's very good talent to be had in the 2nd round, and having three picks there can really help us load up some.

Now, if they trade Cassel for a 1st rounder, and if you then factor in another 1st round pick due to moving out of round one this year, plus their own 1st round selection; that gives the Pats three 1st rounders should they choose to exercise those picks to help really load up on talent.

To me, this makes more sense then exercising a pick for the hell of it, just hoping something good will happen because the team is in desperate need of an infusion of good young talent (on the cheap) when the talent is just not there. This would be like trying to place a square peg in a round hole (know what I mean?).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

I see what you are saying. I just don't see it happening.

As far as the Pats trading out of the first, I can't remember the last season they went in without a first rounder. The draft is such a key part of this team's success, so I just don't see them skipping a round.

As far as trading something, you can count on it. LOL.

There is a high likelyhood that they receive a pick for Cassel in next year's draft, or do apick swap trade -- for instance, Cassel and their first rounder this year for someone else's first rounder this season and next season, which could move them up a few spots.

I also wouldn't overlook the player trade for Cassel. Mike Reiss brought up a good point, that a potential deal exists where they could trade Cassel for something like Chad Greenway.

Trading out of the first is a lot harder to do than most people think.

That said, the fact that players like Cushing, Sintim, Maualuga, etc, will be hanging around a bit, unless there is a LB run like we haven't seen. And if there is then it is likely that some talented OT or CB comes down.

For instance, Vontae Davis is the kind of player who could be there.

But going into next season without making a first round acquisition of some kind seems unlikely to me.

Just my 2 cents.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Draft

if we were able to pick up an extra first round pick or early second round pick from trading Cassel, i would find drafting Percy Harvin an interesting project. BB could do a lot with him, lining him up all over the offense and of course special teams.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidwa. Show davidwa's posts

Draft

As much as I like Faulk, a 3rd down short yardage/pass catching back will need to be developed or drafted at some point. Faulk has been a huge part of the Pats offensive success but he cant remain as productive forever. If there were multiple picks in the 1st round perhaps a player like Harvin will be chosen or the Pats could groom BenJarvis Green Ellis for that role. I think the greatest need for the Pats is to improve the defense & they'll probably pick a defensive player for their first pick.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft

Robert Ayers DE Tennessee / rising / mayo's close friend won't be over looked by Pats
    Alphonso Smith / A SMALLER db great skills / suprised you have't been blasted for even a mention ricky. this guy can press and was compared to Hobbs at the SR Bowl

Kyle Moore from USC can put on the weight to play DE in 34 D can rush passer / seems to be rated higher than Moala

Nic Harris S/LB would be a strong option.Not sure how high he goes. Anyone watch him much? He had 75 tackle this year three for loss. Is he SS or FS?

TE class looks very good this year! Lots of underrated players

Let's face it guys. The guy (I think) we have to find is Tedy's replacement. Tedy's no threat to rush or in coverage. Maybe Guyton is the Answer. Maybe we take a look again at Zach Thomas who said he would not go back to Dallas maybe Seau. I think we have to find a young guy at this spot this year. Lets all say it together MAUALUGA
    We''ll see

In the Rb class I would take Coffee from AL. Their center Cadwell the can play both guard spots on OL also

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft

m

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

I agree Kyle. WR/RB isn't a spot you can overlook. The Pats haven't drafted a good WR since Branch. And Moss has a two or three years left in his prime, but NE needs to insure itself against his loss.

Especially if NE finds itself with two first rounders, a player like Nicks or Harvin could be dynamic additions to this offense and pay dividends later.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Draft

[Quote]I see what you are saying. I just don't see it happening.

As far as the Pats trading out of the first, I can't remember the last season they went in without a first rounder. The draft is such a key part of this team's success, so I just don't see them skipping a round.

As far as trading something, you can count on it. LOL.

There is a high likelyhood that they receive a pick for Cassel in next year's draft, or do apick swap trade -- for instance, Cassel and their first rounder this year for someone else's first rounder this season and next season, which could move them up a few spots.

I also wouldn't overlook the player trade for Cassel. Mike Reiss brought up a good point, that a potential deal exists where they could trade Cassel for something like Chad Greenway.

Trading out of the first is a lot harder to do than most people think.

That said, the fact that players like Cushing, Sintim, Maualuga, etc, will be hanging around a bit, unless there is a LB run like we haven't seen. And if there is then it is likely that some talented OT or CB comes down.

For instance, Vontae Davis is the kind of player who could be there.

But going into next season without making a first round acquisition of some kind seems unlikely to me.

Just my 2 cents.[/Quote]

I am not sold on Cushing. He may be the third or forth best player on his own defense. Some one will fall. I keep saying Sintim will rise and I keep thinking Laurenaitis will fall. I think Maualuaga goes from top five to top 15 (still out of the Pats range). ZB, I think we could see a run on OTs with Oher, Smith and Monroe off the board by pick #18. Some one like Davis could be available. What do think about Cassel for the high 1st in 2009 or 2010 draft, ZB ? I think the Pats would settle for something in the 10-20 range. They still have to deal with Wilfork, Mankins and Seymour. Thus making Carolina, Tampa Bay and Minnisota better suitors than KC, Detroit (heaven forbid) St Louis or Seattle. The SF 1st (10-15) would be ideal and good luck (cf: Mayo).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Draft

Projected Patriots draft picks through 7 rounds:
    Round 1 #22 (from MIN) Rey Maualuga (ILB) USC or James Laurinaitis (ILB) Ohio State or Aaron Curry (OLB)Wake Forest

Round 1 #23 (pats pick) ) Vontae Davis (CB)- Illinois or Alphonso Smith(CB) wake forest

Round 2 #47 (from SD) Pettigrew (TE) Oklahoma state (hopefully he'll fall if not take best available TE)

Round 2 #56 (pats pick) Trade for Ocho cinco (WR) Cincinnati or pick Boone(OL) the OSU or Ciron Black, OT, LSU

Round 3 #86 (from MIN) Zack Follett (ILB) –California

Round 3 #91 (pats pick) Curtis Taylor, FS, LSU or Kam Chancellor (FS) Virginia Tech

Round 3 #97 (comp pick for Samuel) Max Unger, C, Oregon very versatile can play all 5 positions on the line

Round 4 #120 (pats pick) Trade for Ocho cinco or pick Dominique Johnson (CB) Jackson state
    Round 4 (comp pick for Stallworth) CONNOR BARWIN (DE) Cincinnati

Round 5 #151 (pats pick) Brandon Tate WR North Carolina

Round 5 (comp pick for gay) Pat White (QB) West Virginia

Round 6 #186 (pats pick) The best RB available

Round 7 #216 (pats pick) Best CB available

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

Draft

Nate would love that draft, but will never happen, most of those players will be drafter much higher than you have them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ohyes. Show ohyes's posts

Draft

No comp pick for Stallworth we cut him

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Draft

yeah i know most of the ranges the players were supposed to be picked in are the lower round in the range. But i can still hope. Thanks for your comments.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Draft

i thought we didn't cut him we just chose no to pick up the option on him. so we might still get a comp pick for stallworth.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

I just read a mock that has Aaron Maybin dropping to #23 for NE. I have several doubts about the kid. First, he plays a big-10 schedule, which means he looks a lot faster than he will at the NFL level -- Big -10 is slooow. Second, can anyone remember if BB ever drafted a sophmore, even one who red-shirted? I wonder if his age would keep them away from him.

However, his productivity is not to be argued with. Last season I was sort of against drafting most of the pass rushers, as there wasn't any clear cut 3-4 talent until later (Groves, Crable) and Gholston was a dummy who just smacked weak OTs to the ground and we know how those players work out.

But Maybin is ahead of Gholston's curve. He has better stats earlier, and never had trouble finding his way on to the field, unlike the remedial Gholston.

Maybin is also too small to play every down DE, so I wonder if he could slip. In order for this to happen there needs to be a run on players for 3-4 teams that are not Maybin.

Kiper has Maybin going to SF at #10. But Walterfootball has this for 3-4 teams ahead of NE:

Browns -- Aaron Curry
    Niners -- Everett Brown
    Chargers - Chris Wells (a great pick for them IMHO, I suggested this months ago)
    Jets --Jenkins

Here is Kiper:

Browns -- Aaron Curry
    Niners -- Aaron Maybin
    Chargers -- Moreno
    Jets -- Harvin (bad pick, too much like Leon Washington)

With Houston selecting Everett Brown.

OK, so here is the big question. I DON'T think a 4-3 team is going to take any of these three. So, considering the Jets' and Chargers' investements in passrushers, do we see a clear path for Curry, Brown or MAybin to make it to #23?

Which of the three do you like best?

And if any of them were there, do you pull the trigger knowing you might pass up a beast OT like Oher?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Draft

Haha, for a gag rad Don Banks' mock. I really think he just picks players in spots ranked by how well he knows them and then sticks the lower teams with whatever he can find.

I would spit my pea soup if Ne used a #24 on Alhponso Smith.