Drafting Rookies vs. Signing Veterans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Drafting Rookies vs. Signing Veterans

I have seen a lot of threads that are calling for BB to make a trade for (insert veterans name) I have heard Champ Bailey to Fitzgerald to Johnathan Stewart. But, have we not witnessed what a BB draft class can do? Sure we brought a veteran, Branch, back but he was on this team and fit in right away. I expect BB to continue to get younger through the draft and the only way I see him trading for a veteran is if we can't get the RB we want in the draft. Lets not forget that the NFL and CBA is still up in the air and I am sure BB will want to continue to make inexpensive additions.

I am a firm believer in BB we trust, but what do you guys think would be best for this team?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Re: Drafting Rookies vs. Signing Veterans

i prefer building through the draft at all levels,

but if matt ryan becomes available when brady calls it quits, and BB hasn't drafted a TB caliber QB,  i'd take him  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Personally, I feel this rookie cap and the idea that the cap itself will likely be more controllable for owners to be able to budget easier (many teams are in the red right now), this only helps BB and NE's approach.

They can lock down people they know to be quality draft picks with better $$ allocation and then have more of a pot to work from for signing free agents.

No trading will be necessary.  You can just use your FA budget to again leverage the fact that NE has their sh*t together and people really want to play here.

There was a small window in 2008 and 2009 that made it seem like people wouldn't want to play in NE anymore, but I am not buying that really existed as much as the media and haters hoped it would.

Ask yourself:

Why would you not want to play in NE if you were a free agent and the market for your services was essentially the same as it was everywhere else?

For the record, I was half kidding about dealing for Fitzgerald.  It sure would be nice, and I would think long and hard about letting a 2nd and 3rd go for him, but only if his new deal would be manageable for NE.

Kraft and BB had a good inside idea of what the new CBA would look like and they have been methodically balancing this the last 2-3 years.

While still trying to win.

This is what our fellow Jets troll, Phatty Rex/Patsman2, never full grasped or didn't want to admit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Drafting Rookies vs. Signing Veterans:
    [QUOTE]I have seen a lot of thread that are calling for BB to make a trade for (insert veterans name) I have heard Champ Bailey to Fitzgerald to Johnathan Stewart. But, have we not witnessed what a BB draft class can do? Sure we brought a veteran, Branch, back but he was on this team and fit in right away. I expect BB to continue to get younger through the draft and the only way I see him trading for a veteran is if we can't get the RB we want in the draft. Lets not forget that the NFL and CBA is still up in the air and I am sure BB will want to continue to make inexpensive additions. I am a firm believer in BB we trust, but what do you guys think would be best for this team?
    Posted by freediro[/QUOTE]
    Free agency comes before the draft.  Last year we saw BB focus on signing his key players, Wilfork, Bodden, Banta-Cain, Gostkowski etc.  He also brought in Crumpler who was our biggest F/A signing.  I look for BB to hopefully extend Mankins as a top priority.  I would expect him to also extend Matt Light for 1-2 years.  They are our top 2 free agents.  BJGE and Arrington are also F/A but I believe both are restricted so they aren't going anywhere.

BB has shown a consistent approach of signing veteran free agents that help the team at a price that he feels is "good value."  I can only think of one example where BB overpaid to get a F/A and that was Adalius Thomas.  BB will plug holes by signing Free Agents.  He has shown this time and again.  By draft day, BB will have done as much as he can to build the team internally and externally.  Therefore when the draft comes he is free to draft best player available from his short list of players on his board. 

Last year was a rare example where BB didn't address all his needs in free agency.  He went into the draft with just one TE (Crumpler) on the roster, 1 starting CB (Bodden) and 1 starting OLB (TBC).  He addressed those needs right off the bat drafting McCourty, Gronkowski, Cunningham and Hernandez with 4 of his first 6 picks, Spikes and Price being the others.  He also didn't have a punter and he clearly targeted the best punter in college trading for a 5th round pick which he used on Mesko so it could be said he filled 5 needs with his first 7 picks.

This year, if he doesn't retain Mankins and Light I would expect him to draft an OT very early on.  BB doesn't typically spent high draft picks on interior OL with Mankins being the only exception.  But if Mankins walks we have only Connolly as a ready starter so I would think he would draft an OG before the end of round 2.  I don't see any elite 34 DEs available in free agency.  Even with Ty Warren coming back, I don't think we have a developmental player on our roster who is of starting quality so I think he may draft a 34 DE too.

There are several CBs and S available in free agency.  We need depth there even with Bodden coming back.  I favor going after Jonathan Joseph from CIN and perhaps Bethea from IND.  I don't worry about WR and RB because the draft is loaded with talent from round 2-4 and we have solid starters now at RB.  We could use a solid #2 WR.  There are several WR free agents available too if BB wants to go that route.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

Jonathan Joseph CB, (CIN) and leonard RB, (CIN).  Bethea is injured too often to be worth it, plus we have alot of good safeties. 

David Hawthorne OLB (SEA) would be a good pick up.  i would be willing to kick the tires on DeAngelo Williams RB (Carolina)  but i have a feeling he would cost too much.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

after this year, I think BB will stick to the draft as much as possible and who wouldn't want to play for the Pats. Sure teams like the Jets might be more fun to play with, but BB will make you a better player than you thought you were. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Build through the draft. It worked last year. I just don't buy the idea of signing every other big name free agent and competing without continuity (see Jets and Phins). It's now clear that Mayo and Spikes complement eachother very well and drafting McCourty to play opposite Bodden (eventually) is just a great idea. Needless to say our TE production has been huge. I am okay with signing low money low-risk free agents(crumpler) to play specific roles, but I could never see Belichick going all in on high-priced free agents when he jettisons them all the time (Thomas, Samuel, Seymour). I could see him trying to get a player like Woodley, but if the cost is too much, he'll just back out.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

I am all for signing veterans as a means to add depth.....