1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Dumervil goes to the Ravens

Mike Klis         Mike Klis @MikeKlis 5m

Elvis Dumervil has agreed with the Ravens. Details coming on

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Re: Dumervil goes to the Ravens

Ravens will be good again this year..

Mark it down. Feel free to call me out at the end of the year if I'm wrong but this team will win 11 games at least.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejusox21. Show ejusox21's posts

In response to Rocky's comment:

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Elvis Dumervil agrees to contract with Baltimore Ravens

POSTED:   03/24/2013 02:33:59 PM MDT 

By Mike Klis

Once again, the Baltimore Ravens have defeated the Broncos.

Elvis Dumervil, one of the best defensive ends in Broncos history, has agreed to a multiyear contract with the Ravens, according to two NFL sources. Dumervil's departure occurs 10 weeks after Baltimore stunned the Broncos, 38-35 in double-overtime of a second-round AFC playoff game on a below-zero windchill Saturday afternoon.

A blustery snowstorm greeted Denver on Saturday when the Broncos learned Dumervil and his 63½ sacks were moving on.

The Broncos are expected to focus on signing defensive end John Abraham, who had 10 sacks and six forced fumbles for the Atlanta Falcons last season — or just one less sack than Dumervil. Former Indianapolis Colt Dwight Freeney is also a possibility if the Broncos can't reach an agreement with Abraham.

Abraham and Freeney visited the Broncos on Thursday.

Dumvervil's departure brings an end to one of the most bizarre transaction debacles in NFL history. It started when the Broncos asked Dumervil to take a pay cut. He made $14 million in 2011, $14 million in 2012 and the Broncos didn't want to pay him another $12 million in 2013, not when a free-agent market correction gave the likes of Cliff Avril, who like Dumervil had 20½ sacks the past two years, a two-year, $13 million contract with Seattle.

Avril's contract set Dumervil's market value as the Broncos and Ravens were each working off the guideline of paying approximately $13 million through the first two seasons.

It was the story behind Dumervil's free-agent eligibility, though, that had people around the country chatting around office coffee machines. After nearly two weeks of protracted negotiations regarding the Broncos' proposed pay cut, Dumervil and his agent Marty Magid finally agreed to take a first-year 33 percent salary reduction to $8 million.

The agreement was communicated 35 minutes before the signature page to Dumervil's revised contract needed to be at the NFL offices in New York by 2 p.m. March 15.

But the exchange of faxes between Broncos' contract negotiator Mike Sullivan in Englewood to Magid in Philadelphia to Dumervil in Miami and back to the Broncos' headquarters took too long. The signature page did not reach the Broncos' office, much less the league's fax machine, by the 2 p.m. deadline.

The missed deadline forced the Broncos to terminate Dumervil's original contract if the team was to avoid guaranteeing his $12 million salary.

With his contract terminated, Dumervil became a free agent. Several teams expressed interest but only the Broncos and Ravens made offers.

Dumervil chose to move on in large part because of the personal pitches he received from his former linebacker's coach Don "Wink" Martindale, new pass-rushing partner Terrell Suggs and head coach John Harbaugh.

Martindale was the Broncos' linebackers coach in 2009 when Dumervil recorded a career-best 17 sacks that led the NFL. Dumervil played outside linebacker in what was a new 3-4 defensive system for the Broncos that year. He will play outside linebacker again, with Suggs on the other side, in Baltimore's 3-4 defense

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Rocky's comment:

i had a feelgni last night, was going ot past today and the thought that abraham may be signed following; and were the pats going to make a grab for abraham?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

What happened to salary cap hell?

I was 100% correct. I said each player would accept the highest offer. Elvis did. So will Osi, Freeney and Abraham. Will the Pats offer enough to get any of them? 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Amazing they are supposedly in Salary Cap hell but are able to afford this bloke. NE not even in the picture again for a marquee big name Free agent

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to HOTBLITZ's comment:

Mark it down. Feel free to call me out at the end of the year if I'm wrong but this team will win 11 games at least.

I've marked it.  lol

FLacco lost his favorite WR and the D was gutted.  Dumervil is incredibly overrated.   Since he was shopping himself, I wouldn't be shocked if Baltimore just flipped out Ed Reed for Dumervil in terms of contract guarantees.

Ouch. Bad offseason so far for Baltimore. 

They have a better defense then us, by far! Flacco is good regardless of how much you want to hate.. 

2 tight ends who are more then capable and Ozzie always knows how to draft..

Their front 7 is vicious even with a Few unknowns...

Canty, Spears, Ngata, Dumervil, Suggs...

To me the loss of Ellerbe, Kruger aren't that severe as the were more a product of who they were playing with...

Webb is a top 5 corner in the league, or so he was before he got hurt and Graham came on  last season. Smith will make a good free safety and Pollard is easlily replaced.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Sure Rusty, 60+sacks in 6 years is overrated...lol

Get real dude.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I've marked it.  lol

FLacco lost his favorite WR and the D was gutted.  Dumervil is incredibly overrated.   Since he was shopping himself, I wouldn't be shocked if Baltimore just flipped out Ed Reed for Dumervil in terms of contract guarantees.

They have a better defense then us, by far! Flacco is good regardless of how much you want to hate.. 

To me the loss of Ellerbe, Kruger aren't that severe as the were more a product of who they were playing with...

Webb is a top 5 corner in the league, or so he was before he got hurt and Graham came on  last season. Smith will make a good free safety and Pollard is easlily replaced.

well last year they were better than the pats at most postions except qb. this yer we will see. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

But you said I was wrong. I was right. Each player is going to the highest bidder. Sounds likeDenver is now turning its attention to Abe's. Will the Pats compete on the offer? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

What happened to salary cap hell?

I was 100% correct. I said each player would accept the highest offer. Elvis did. So will Osi, Freeney and Abraham. Will the Pats offer enough to get any of them? 

if not i call it unwise (on abaraham)

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

I've marked it.  lol

You're going to see them cut more key players after this Dumervil move. You'll see.

Canty is a 4-3 player, by the way.  Spears is nothing more than a steady starter, not an impact guy like the emerging Ellerbe.

Webb may not project well on the outside.

This swapping in and out of your base D doesn't work. It caught GB and NOs in recent years. It will catch Baltimore.

To preetnd Ed Reed and Ray Lewis, down the middle, meant nothing is a preposterous premise.

"Pollard is easily replaced".  I am pretty sure Ed Reed and Pollard just made a strong duo helping win a SB.

To cast that off is flat out arrogance. Ds need continuity, not names on jerseys.

Ok so then lets make a wager...

Ravens will have a better D then us in total yards and points?

And Ravens will win 10+ games?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

I've marked it.  lol

well last year they were better than the pats at most postions except qb. this yer we will see. 

I thought Webb was a top 3 corner before injury. 

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

Dude Pollard has been thrown the league like a chinese call girl... Continuity? He was there one year..

Webb lined up outside plenty..

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

So your saying they will win no more then 9 games?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Adam Schefter         Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 1h

Ravens are giving former Broncos DE Elvis Dumervil a five-year deal worth up to $35 million, including $8.5 million in year one.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.