Eagles @ Pats Postgame Analysis

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Eagles @ Pats Postgame Analysis

This was a typical exhibition game, where the final score had far less meaning than analyzing how certain players performed. Here's my take on how the Patriots' players performed at each position, last night:

1.) QBs: Though Ryan Mallett had his moments (nice throw over the middle to Deion Branch for a first down, fairly good execution on screen plays, and excellent throw to reserve TE Alex Silvestro for a TD), there were some things that bothered me. Mallett still doesn't appear to be comfortable in the pocket. Of course, part of that was due to substandard pass protection. Still, Mallett's release appeared to be a tad slow. He threw a horrid pass that was intercepted...though he was saved due to a roughing the passer penalty. Based on what I saw, I can't say that he's appreciably better than he was last year...or that he looks like the heir apparent to Tom Brady. Brian Hoyer still looks more confident. Though Hoyer didn't show much, he was playing primarily with scrubs at TE and at WR...and his OL nearly got him killed. In short, it appears that Hoyer is still the 2nd best QB on this team.

2.) RBs: Shane Vereen built upon his good performance against the Saints with a decent session against the Eagles. Though he didn't run for a ton of yards, he executed on screens pretty well (4 catches for 29 yards), and showed that he possesses the quickness, speed, and toughness to succeed as an NFL RB.
         Not much from Stevan Ridley tonight...though his OL gave him precious little room to run.
         Horrible night for rookie Brandon Bolden. His muffed of a punt turned what momentum there was in this game in favor of the Eagles. Though Bolden did make a good tackle in punt coverage later in the game, it remains to be seen how much the muffed punt affects his chances of making the team. 

3.) OL: The Big Uglies need to start stepping up their play...now. Yes, there have been injuries on the OL...and varying combinations haven't helped the OL to perform well as a unit. But, the play of Dante Scarnecchia's lumberjacks must improve. RT Marcus Cannon in particular was a disaster last night. He was badly beaten by Eagles' DT Phillip Hunt, which led to a QB fumble. This is the second time in two games that this has happened...though the first time LT Nate Solder was victimized. Speaking of Solder, he wasn't much better.
         Nor was just the pass protect substandard. Precious little room was made for the Pats' RBs, who too many times were hit behind the line of scrimmage. OT remains the prime concern for this team, and appears to be the one glaring point of weakness that could prevent the Patriots from reaching another SB in 2012: http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/20220821officiating_on_the_cheap_nfl_owners_showing_true_colors_with_penny-pinching_ways/

4.) WRs and TEs: Big night for Deion Branch (3 catches for 51 yards). His performance may have locked up a roster spot for him...if not have secured for him the #3 WR spot. Julian Edelman looked Welkerish on a couple of plays, and did nothing to diminish his chances of remaining a Patriot. Jeremy Ebert didn't appear able to get any separation. He looked slow, and had a bad drop. Donte' Stallworth will make the team, depending on the health of Jabar Gaffney. Otherwise, he's definitely on the bubble. Fill-in TE Alex Sivestri had a couple of receptions, including one for the Pats' lone TD. He looks like a candidate for the practice squad.

5.) DL: Overall, the Pats "D" played well in the first half, before wholesale changes were made in the second half. Patriots DTs were effective, and got pressure up the middle. Several obvious holding penalties against Philly OL went uncalled. Jermaine Cunnigham enhanced his chances of making the team with his thunderous hit on Michael Vick...which knocked Vick out of the game. Cunningham finished the game with three QB hits. Not a good night for Chandler Jones, who seemed to be dominated by huge Philly OT, King Dunlap. Nothing shown by DEs Jake Bequette or Trevor Scott;

6.) LBs: Good job overall by the LB corp. Thunderous hit by Brandon Spikes on an unfortunate Philly RB. Dont'a Hightower played well again, in a limited appearance. Good job overall by reserves Niko Koutouvides, Jeff Tarpinian, and Bobby Carpenter. Koutouvides led the team with 7 tackles...all solos. 

7.) DBs: Sterling Moore was badly beaten by Desean Jackson on a 40 yard pass play. Patrick Chung was hurt, yet again...suffering what appeared to be a shoulder injury. Not a bad effort from veteran Will Allen, and second year man Ras-I Dowling. Rookie SS Nate Ebner registered an interception in the closing seconds of the first half.            

SUMMARY: Not a bad overall effort by the Pats' defensive reserves against a talented football team. The Eagles played their regulars for the entire first 35 minutes or so. Against this quality competition, they acquitted themselves rather well. On offense, the OL remains the major point of concern.
         Top performers tonight were DE Jermaine Cunningham, WR Deion Branch, RB Shane Vereen, and the Pats' corp of LBs and DTs all played pretty well. Good night of kicking by the Ghost, and Voltan "The Magnificent".     
         On the downside were the performances of OTs Marcus Cannon and Nate Solder, RB Brandon Bolden, WR Jeremy Ebert, CB Sterling Moore, and DEs Trevor Scott and Jake Bequette.

Here are the game stats: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=320820017

As always, your thoughts and comments are welcome.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

Re: Eagles @ Pats Postgame Analysis

Hi Tex,
    I thought they did very well against that first team. The Eagles have some serious talant on that team (just ask them) and to go into the half tied with two red zone turnovers leading to scores speaks volumes.
    The Pats first team dismantles the Eagles IMO and as I said on another post I'd be very concerned if I were an Eagle fan. The Eagles look extremely athletic but poorly coached. They had a lot of senseless penalties that sustained Pats drives and if this were the Pats first team it's game over.
    I also think Cunningham did some damage, Vick looked just like last year when he tried to punch it in the end zone and got a slam sandwich. I'd be surprised if he's practicing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Couple things Pat.

Agree on mallet but pocket awareness and comfortableness comes with experience. He has the arm and made some tight throws. The td pass was in the perfect place with zip.

You seem to give a pass to Hoyer by saying he played with scrubs. Disagree, he had branch(77of78 snaps) and Stalworth with our starting RB Ridley in the 2nd half going against Eagles scrubs and literally did nothing(5-17) I think 3 straight 3 n outs to close it!

Mallet />Hoyer imo.

O-line is a very young inexperienced unit and they did some things well. I didn't mind the missed assignments of Cannon and Solder as much as I did that our top 3 RBs had like 25 carries for 55 yards or something.

To be honest i thought Bolden was the only one with any real power as Ridley was dominated at the end by a 3rd string D-line and Vareen seems to be more of run in space guy. I don't see how Bolden doesn't make this team. if Ridley goes down we virtually have nobody to run between the tackles.

I cannot wait to see the Big Three at LB. Hightower and Spikes were hitting hard and Hightower was wrapping up in the limited action they saw. RB's will have a tough time against this front 7. And TE's and receiving backs will be challenged by Mayo and Hightower!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Eagles @ Pats Postgame Analysis:
    [QUOTE]Couple things Pat. Agree on mallet but pocket awareness and comfortableness comes with experience. He has the arm and made some tight throws. The td pass was in the perfect place with zip.

RESPONSE: This is true to a degree. But, Mallett is now in his second year with the Patriots. He's also had plenty of experience playing in a pro-style offense, in the rugged SEC. Better protection from his OL will likely be or more benefit to him, than further experience. 

You seem to give a pass to Hoyer by saying he played with scrubs. Disagree, he had branch(77of78 snaps) and Stalworth with our starting RB Ridley in the 2nd half going against Eagles scrubs and literally did nothing(5-17) I think 3 straight 3 n outs to close it! Mallet />Hoyer imo.

RESPONSE: Insufficient sample size to make this call. I still feel more comfortable with Hoyer running the offense.

O-line is a very young inexperienced unit and they did some things well.

RESPONSE: What were those? I thought that the OL had an bad night. OTs Cannon, in particular, and Solder were awful. 

I didn't mind the missed assignments of Cannon and Solder as much as I did that our top 3 RBs had like 25 carries for 55 yards or something.

RESPONSE: What missed assignments? I saw missed blocks...where the Pats' OTs were beaten both by speed, and bull-rushes...in which they were knocked back. One such missed block by either Cannon or Solder could end Tom Brady's season. As for the RBs gaining just 55 yards on 25  carries, I didn't see the OL providing them with any running room. Too many times, the Pats' RBs were hit behind the line of scrimmage.

To be honest i thought Bolden was the only one with any real power as Ridley was dominated at the end by a 3rd string D-line and Vareen seems to be more of run in space guy. I don't see how Bolden doesn't make this team. if Ridley goes down we virtually have nobody to run between the tackles.

RESPONSE: Bolden didn't get to show any power last night...as he was constantly being hit behind the line of scrimmage. I was very surprised to see BB put him in as a punt returner. I don't believe that he ever returned punts in college. Though I understand that BB loves versatile players, it seemed to me that putting Bolden back there placed him in a position to fail...which he did. 
         You can line up Jim Brown or Emmitt Smith the backfield. If they are being constantly hit in the backfield, they'll gain nothing. 

I cannot wait to see the Big Three at LB. Hightower and Spikes were hitting hard and Hightower was wrapping up in the limited action they saw. RB's will have a tough time against this front 7.

RESPONSE: Agreed. I'm excited about the Pats' front seven. But, that secondary and OL...

And TE's and receiving backs will be challenged by Mayo and Hightower!

RESPONSE: There's going to be a lot more punishment meted out to RBs and TEs crossing the middle this year, against the Pats' front seven.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Tough game to try and analyze...every time you looked there were different guys in there for both teams. I thought the entire offensive line was poor - the tackles may of got the most notice, but the inside was just as terrible. I thought Vareen did pretty well with the space he got, but I'm not sure this guy is anything but a 3rd down type of back. I thought Silvestri looked surprisingly good on his two receptions - at least a lot better than some of the 4th-5th round picks we used to use on the position in years past (excluding Hernandez).

The thing I just can't get out of my head is how big Chandler Jones is - I mean his hands look like they have tennis rackets attached to them. Did anyone else notice what those things looked like with that white tape he had on them? My god, I hope he doesn't break them. Bequette looked decent on one play and was handled with one blocker on the others. Scott looks huge to me as well - just a lot bigger than the edge guys we've had in years past. It's nice to see Spikes out there, because it just becomes a much more physical defense when he is.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

The biggest post game fact to know is the igles needed TWO red zone turn overs for their starters to out score our back ups.....Now that is pathetic...no matter how badly you pick on the Pats performance. Analyze that...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Couple things Pat. Agree on mallet but pocket awareness and comfortableness comes with experience. He has the arm and made some tight throws. The td pass was in the perfect place with zip.

RESPONSE: This is true to a degree. But, Mallett is now in his second year with the Patriots. He's also had plenty of experience playing in a pro-style offense, in the rugged SEC. Better protection from his OL will likely be or more benefit to him, than further experience. 

Better protection will help anybody, but last year with the lock out QB's had the most to lose in terms of understanding the NFL. Mallet just admitted as much saying he was completely lost last year. Experience is his best friend at this point.

You seem to give a pass to Hoyer by saying he played with scrubs. Disagree, he had branch(77of78 snaps) and Stalworth with our starting RB Ridley in the 2nd half going against Eagles scrubs and literally did nothing(5-17) I think 3 straight 3 n outs to close it! Mallet />Hoyer imo.

RESPONSE: Insufficient sample size to make this call. I still feel more comfortable with Hoyer running the offense.

O-line is a very young inexperienced unit and they did some things well.

RESPONSE: What were those? I thought that the OL had an bad night. OTs Cannon, in particular, and Solder were awful.

Mcdonald, Wendell and Connoly all looked very capable of pulling and lead blocking in the screen game, which many of us are speculating will be an important part of our offense again(as it was in the dynasty era). Also as bad as they looked they only gave up 2 sacks to mostly eagles starters and 2nd stringers. Imagine of we had a "Jets " like performance and gave up 5 or 6 sacks? I can't imagine what would be said!

I didn't mind the missed assignments of Cannon and Solder as much as I did that our top 3 RBs had like 25 carries for 55 yards or something.

RESPONSE: What missed assignments? I saw missed blocks...where the Pats' OTs were beaten both by speed, and bull-rushes...in which they were knocked back. One such missed block by either Cannon or Solder could end Tom Brady's season. As for the RBs gaining just 55 yards on 25 carries, I didn't see the OL providing them with any running room. Too many times, the Pats' RBs were hit behind the line of scrimmage.

Off the top of my head the Solder play where he didn't even look at the edge rusher who had a wide open lane to the QB = missed assignment.

I agree the holes were not there for our RB's but again this is a brand new line with depth players playing with limited experienced players like Solder, and Cannon for the 1st time. No cohesion to this unit, very little experience.

RESPONSE: Bolden didn't get to show any power last night...as he was constantly being hit behind the line of scrimmage. I was very surprised to see BB put him in as a punt returner. I don't believe that he ever returned punts in college. Though I understand that BB loves versatile players, it seemed to me that putting Bolden back there placed him in a position to fail...which he did.
    You can line up Jim Brown or Emmitt Smith the backfield. If they are being constantly hit in the backfield, they'll gain nothing.

Disagree, Bolden showed plenty of power despite the poor ypc. He ran over defenders twice for 1st downs in obvious run formations(meaning we all knew it was a run but they still couldn't stop him) and he also cleaned a guys clock on ST's. This guy has power and looks like he has a mean streak to him.

I cannot wait to see the Big Three at LB. Hightower and Spikes were hitting hard and Hightower was wrapping up in the limited action they saw. RB's will have a tough time against this front 7.

RESPONSE: Agreed. I'm excited about the Pats' front seven. But, that secondary and OL...

And TE's and receiving backs will be challenged by Mayo and Hightower!

RESPONSE: There's going to be a lot more punishment meted out to RBs and TEs crossing the middle this year, against the Pats' front seven.
    Posted by TrueChamp

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]Many many Cornerbacks get beat by Jackson, I just watch the 1st half and Moore did not do a bad job. No pass rush, except one time. Have to go to work will watch 2nd half tomorrow. As far as 1st half, Mallet didn't strike me as clear favorite over Hoyer, in fact Hoyer completed longer and better passes, not great either. Mallet was helped by many penalties, on his drive, for TD.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Wait, till you see Hoyer in the 2nd half. It hurt to watch.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Hi Tex, I thought they did very well against that first team. The Eagles have some serious talant on that team (just ask them) and to go into the half tied with two red zone turnovers leading to scores speaks volumes.

RESPONSE: There were bright spots...most notably the play of the defense. RB Vereen looked good, and Mallett had his moments. But, let's not forget that one of those turnovers was caused by horrible OT play by starters Cannon and Solder...both who were badly beaten on that play.  

The Pats first team dismantles the Eagles IMO and as I said on another post I'd be very concerned if I were an Eagle fan. The Eagles look extremely athletic but poorly coached. They had a lot of senseless penalties that sustained Pats drives and if this were the Pats first team it's game over.

RESPONSE:  I tend to agree. Andy Reid needs to take charge of his team. Far too many penalties. Plus, somewhere along the way, he appears to have lost the respect of some of his players. Releasing DT Cullen Jenkins would be a step in the right direction. When Reid was chastising his DL on the sidelines last night, Jenkins got into his face. Can you imagine a Patriots player doing that to BB:
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20120820_Andy_Reid_and
    _Cullen_Jenkins_argue_on_sideline.html

I also think Cunningham did some damage, Vick looked just like last year when he tried to punch it in the end zone and got a slam sandwich. I'd be surprised if he's practicing.

RESPONSE: How is Vick going out of his way to protect himself when he slides head-first on his team's initial possession...trying to pick up a first down in a meaningless exhibition game? Frankly, I think Vick is pressing. The truth is, he's not that good. Philly might be better off relying more on their running game, and handing over the reigns of their offense to rookie Nick Foles. Foles impressed me last night with his toughness. He seems to have what it takes to blossom into a quality QB.  
    Posted by Sam-Adams[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Couple things Pat. Agree on mallet but pocket awareness and comfortableness comes with experience. He has the arm and made some tight throws. The td pass was in the perfect place with zip. RESPONSE: This is true to a degree. But, Mallett is now in his second year with the Patriots. He's also had plenty of experience playing in a pro-style offense, in the rugged SEC. Better protection from his OL will likely be or more benefit to him, than further experience.  Better protection will help anybody, but last year with the lock out QB's had the most to lose in terms of understanding the NFL. Mallet just admitted as much saying he was completely lost last year. Experience is his best friend at this point. You seem to give a pass to Hoyer by saying he played with scrubs. Disagree, he had branch(77of78 snaps) and Stalworth with our starting RB Ridley in the 2nd half going against Eagles scrubs and literally did nothing(5-17) I think 3 straight 3 n outs to close it! Mallet />Hoyer imo. RESPONSE: Insufficient sample size to make this call. I still feel more comfortable with Hoyer running the offense. O-line is a very young inexperienced unit and they did some things well. RESPONSE: What were those? I thought that the OL had an bad night. OTs Cannon, in particular, and Solder were awful. Mcdonald, Wendell and Connoly all looked very capable of pulling and lead blocking in the screen game, which many of us are speculating will be an important part of our offense again(as it was in the dynasty era). Also as bad as they looked they only gave up 2 sacks to mostly eagles starters and 2nd stringers. Imagine of we had a "Jets " like performance and gave up 5 or 6 sacks? I can't imagine what would be said!

RESPONSE: The interior of the OL did do those things you mentioned above well. But, their pass protection and run blocking was, for the most part, poor. Even though only two sacks were given up, one of those ended up costing the Pats' a TD...and could have cost them one of their QBs. The Eagles were able to pressure Patriots' QBs throughout the game, and seemingly were constantly hitting their RBs behind the line of scrimmage.

I didn't mind the missed assignments of Cannon and Solder as much as I did that our top 3 RBs had like 25 carries for 55 yards or something. RESPONSE: What missed assignments? I saw missed blocks...where the Pats' OTs were beaten both by speed, and bull-rushes...in which they were knocked back. One such missed block by either Cannon or Solder could end Tom Brady's season. As for the RBs gaining just 55 yards on 25 carries, I didn't see the OL providing them with any running room. Too many times, the Pats' RBs were hit behind the line of scrimmage. Off the top of my head the Solder play where he didn't even look at the edge rusher who had a wide open lane to the QB = missed assignment.

RESPONSE: Even if that's true, so what? That can't happen...ever. It only takes  one blind-side hit to sideline Tom Brady for the season.

I agree the holes were not there for our RB's but again this is a brand new line with depth players playing with limited experienced players like Solder, and Cannon for the 1st time. No cohesion to this unit, very little experience.

RESPONSE: What you're saying may be true, but it gives me little comfort, or confidence, going into the 2012 season. Tom Brady is 35 years old. Kiss a SB goodbye if he's not being adequately protected. Kiss the running attack goodbye if the RBs have no running room. All the best skill players in the world will combine to produce nothing, if the OL is not doing their job.   

To be honest i thought Bolden was the only one with any real power as Ridley was dominated at the end by a 3rd string D-line and Vareen seems to be more of run in space guy. I don't see how Bolden doesn't make this team. if Ridley goes down we virtually have nobody to run between the tackles. RESPONSE: Bolden didn't get to show any power last night...as he was constantly being hit behind the line of scrimmage. I was very surprised to see BB put him in as a punt returner. I don't believe that he ever returned punts in college. Though I understand that BB loves versatile players, it seemed to me that putting Bolden back there placed him in a position to fail...which he did. You can line up Jim Brown or Emmitt Smith the backfield. If they are being constantly hit in the backfield, they'll gain nothing. Disagree, Bolden showed plenty of power despite the poor ypc. He ran over defenders twice for 1st downs in obvious run formations(meaning we all knew it was a run but they still couldn't stop him) and he also cleaned a guys clock on ST's. This guy has power and looks like he has a mean streak to him.

RESPONSE: I don't recall him running over anyone last night. But, I did credit him for a good play on special teams. I don't understand why BB put him out there to return a punt. To my knowledge, he didn't return punts in college. Though I realize that BB likes his players to be versatile, I thought he made a mistake in putting Bolden in a position to fail...when BB usually puts his players in positions which best fit their skill sets.

I cannot wait to see the Big Three at LB. Hightower and Spikes were hitting hard and Hightower was wrapping up in the limited action they saw. RB's will have a tough time against this front 7. RESPONSE: Agreed. I'm excited about the Pats' front seven. But, that secondary and OL... And TE's and receiving backs will be challenged by Mayo and Hightower! RESPONSE: There's going to be a lot more punishment meted out to RBs and TEs crossing the middle this year, against the Pats' front seven. Posted by TrueChamp
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

That was a hellacious pass rush.  I give Mallet high marks for not just ducking.  I thought he looked uncomfortable, but got into it after the first series, and looked good after.  Hoyer looked out of place, you mention he was in with the scrubs but he was also in AGAINST the scrubs.  Didn't look too good to me.  Guessing he has a bus ticket already bought.  Branch showed why we should keep him, and I think with a vertical threat on the field he will put up some good numbers opposite.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

TexPat, thanks for the analysis. I am in Africa so I dont get to watch the game and count on your analysis!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

TP: I watched the game too and did not see what you saw with Hoyer / Mallett.

To me, Mallett looked better poised in the crumbling pocket than Hoyer.

agree on the the O-line - that was abysmal.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]TexPat, thanks for the analysis. I am in Africa so I dont get to watch the game and count on your analysis!
    Posted by Quagmire3[/QUOTE]

Africa? Wow!! Are you there on business, vacationing, or on safari? In any event, have fun, and be safe. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Eagles @ Pats Postgame Analysis :
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

I agree the Rb's were hit behind the lione too often. Connoly and McDonal are probably too lite to be paving the way for a power run game. mankins and Waters not so much. I wonder if BB was doing that to see what they were made of. I mean we ran almost all of our runs up the middle or off guard.

Check the game again with Boldens runs. he lays the lumber a few times!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Many many Cornerbacks get beat by Jackson, I just watch the 1st half and Moore did not do a bad job. No pass rush, except one time. Have to go to work will watch 2nd half tomorrow. As far as 1st half, Mallet didn't strike me as clear favorite over Hoyer, in fact Hoyer completed longer and better passes, not great either. Mallet was helped by many penalties, on his drive, for TD.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

I thought that the defense played well in the first half...and brought pressure on pass plays. Not nearly as good in the second half, though. Those two turnovers handed the Eagles two TDs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

I just would like to see this OL with all our regular starters in. Missing Vollmer, Mankins, & Waters is a huge factor in the performance right now. This OL is just a patchwork of guys. Solder needs work on technique for sure. He has the pyshical tools, but he needs to get those long arms out in front of him quicker. Not sold on Cannon yet....he just doesn't look quick enough to get set. Unsure if this is teachable...

Bottom line is that although there is a concern for this OL....we maybe should hold off judgement until our regulars are in there. I'm praying that those 3 missing pieces are in place for Sept 9th. Until then, trying not to panic just yet.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]I just would like to see this OL with all our regular starters in. Missing Vollmer, Mankins, & Waters is a huge factor in the performance right now. This OL is just a patchwork of guys. Solder needs work on technique for sure. He has the pyshical tools, but he needs to get those long arms out in front of him quicker. Not sold on Cannon yet....he just doesn't look quick enough to get set. Unsure if this is teachable... Bottom line is that although there is a concern for this OL....we maybe should hold off judgement until our regulars are in there. I'm praying that those 3 missing pieces are in place for Sept 9th. Until then, trying not to panic just yet.
    Posted by tanbass[/QUOTE]

Getting Vollmer back at 100% would cure all ills. But, unfortunately, that's a big "if". You're right about Cannon...you can't teach quick feet and athleticism. He's best suited to play RG.