Eagles DC, Jim Johnson Died...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

Eagles DC, Jim Johnson Died...

"Longtime Eagles assistant Jim Johnson dead at 68

PHILADELPHIA — Jim Johnson, whose attacking defenses helped the Eagles to one Super Bowl appearance and five NFC title games, has died. He was 68.

Johnson had taken a leave of absence from the team in May as he continued to battle a cancerous tumor on his spine. The Eagles announced his death on Tuesday afternoon.

A veteran of 22 years as an NFL assistant, Johnson is regarded as one of the top defensive minds in the league, known for building units able to pressure the quarterback from every angle. His defenses consistently ranked among the best in the league, including last season, when the Eagles finished third in total defense and fell one victory short of the Super Bowl.

Johnson is survived by his wife, Vicky, two children and four grandchildren.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Re: Eagles DC, Jim Johnson Died...

That  is sad he was a great defensive mind. I don't anything about the man other than he loved the game. I was worried about his defensive schemes in the SB against the Eagles. RIP

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

In Response to Eagles DC, Jim Johnson Died...:
    [QUOTE]"Longtime Eagles assistant Jim Johnson dead at 68 (AP) – 27 minutes ago PHILADELPHIA — Jim Johnson, whose attacking defenses helped the Eagles to one Super Bowl appearance and five NFC title games, has died. He was 68. Johnson had taken a leave of absence from the team in May as he continued to battle a cancerous tumor on his spine. The Eagles announced his death on Tuesday afternoon. A veteran of 22 years as an NFL assistant, Johnson is regarded as one of the top defensive minds in the league, known for building units able to pressure the quarterback from every angle. His defenses consistently ranked among the best in the league, including last season, when the Eagles finished third in total defense and fell one victory short of the Super Bowl. Johnson is survived by his wife, Vicky, two children and four grandchildren. Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved."
    Posted by mrtm70[/QUOTE]

Very sad...he was coaching at the mini-camp in May, and 8 weeks later he is gone.  He was one of the admired men in the NFL.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

RIP, Coach....you'll be greatly missed in the NFL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jc686. Show jc686's posts

Very Sad.  This guy is one of the few rivals for Belichick in the world of defensive schemes.  They played us so tough the year we went 18-1 in the game at Foxboro.  I thought they had us.  I think they sacked Tom  a few times in that game.

RIP- only the good die young.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

God rest your soul Coach Johnson,RIP 7/29/09....Condolences to each member of your surviving Family!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpn123321. Show rpn123321's posts

Wow, does this mean that I have to release him as my coach on madden? He is very good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I love defense, I coach it and I played it and I think its teh best part of the game. And next to Bill Belichick I think Johnson was the best defensive mind in the game. He was just there coaching a little while back and now he is gone that is just so sad. He was a great mind for this game and it wont be as fun watching the Eagles play D ever again. What a loss.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Us Pats fans have displayed some class in his passing.  Everyone has thrown out compliments, and nobody has made any baboon remarks.  I might check out some of the other team forums to see how many goobers are saying "it will be easier to win the division now" and similar things.

Jim Johnson was indeed a good coordinator.  I remember the game in 2007 where the Eagles gave us a good run for our money.  Some pundits said they laid down a blueprint for how to play the Pats.  Other pundits dismissed the notion.  Be damned if our games didn't get tougher after that though.  The teams that had the players to pull it off did indeed take away points from our game against the Eagles.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

You're right caraway.  Jim Johnson knew what to do - jam our receivers at the line of scrimmage.  I don't think the Iggles even blitzed that often that game, I remember Brady being sacked on a three man rush at one point.  But Brady always seems to hate it when teams play our receivers tight - that was how Miami shut us out in 2006.  Baltimore nearly beat us the week after the Eagles in '07 using the jam.  To be fair, it required a lot of holding, but you can't expect the refs to call it every play.  I was shocked when Jacksonville played everyone deep in the playoffs in 07, after Jim Johnson had layed the blueprint.  Always led me to believe that game was fixed.  But that's another topic.  Rest in peace, Jim Johnson. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

I share in everyone's sadness and I was personally shocked to hear this news.

Not to try to cause an issue over his passing, but the fact that this was not the top story on ESPN is practically alarming.  You have one of, if not, the top coordinators in the sport die while he was still relatively active in the league and all everyone wants to discuss is Vick and Favre.  At what point did society become like this?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

In Response to Re: Eagles DC, Jim Johnson Died...:
    [QUOTE]I share in everyone's sadness and I was personally shocked to hear this news. Not to try to cause an issue over his passing, but the fact that this was not the top story on ESPN is practically alarming.  You have one of, if not, the top coordinators in the sport die while he was still relatively active in the league and all everyone wants to discuss is Vick and Favre.  At what point did society become like this?
    Posted by SonnyCorlione[/QUOTE]

Santino:

At what point did society become like this?

At the point when the mass media found out that only the crass stupidity exhibited on a consistent basis by idiots like Vick and Favre rather than the untimely death of a true professional of the sport, will stir the collectively jaded nerve-ends of the public sufficiently to get its attention.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

That shocked me too.  I had sports center on all morning hoping they would say something about this, but there was nothing other than an occassional blip on the news ticker at the bottom of the screen.  What a disgrace. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

Did you hear that Michael Jackson died? I believe all the news outlets covered it....for like 10 days straight now that was disgrace.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonnyCorlione. Show SonnyCorlione's posts

In Response to Re: Eagles DC, Jim Johnson Died...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Eagles DC, Jim Johnson Died... : Santino: At what point did society become like this? At the point when the mass media found out that only the crass stupidity exhibited on a consistent basis by idiots like Vick and Favre rather than the untimely death of a true professional of the sport, will stir the collectively jaded nerve-ends of the public sufficiently to get its attention.
    Posted by Belenus555[/QUOTE]

Haha, thanks Bel.  It's still sad, not only because of the tragedy, but because of the way it was handled.  It was practically a side story.