Early guess on 53 man roster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Early guess on 53 man roster

I'm a bit bored and after hearing about how some think Farnham was going to make the final roster it got me thinking, what are the odds that they would carry 7-8 WRs on a 53 man roster?  Here's my take on who makes the cut this early in the off season with WRs as last to see how mny spots are left

QB (3): Brady, Hoyer, Robinson (Robinson can either be a WR or QB but right now I think they will run with 3 QBs this season and use Robinson as an emergency 7th WR)

OL (10): Mankins, Neal, Vollmer, Koppen, Light, Kaczur, Bussey, Connolly, Ohrn, Larsen/Welch

TE (3): Crumpler, Hernadez, Gron 

RB (5): Maroney, Faulk, Taylor, Morris, Paschall (this could the last year we carry 5 as I see we getting a blue chip RB next year replacing the need to carry 3 of the 5 backs)  

DL (7): Warren, Wilfork, Pryor, Wright, Lewis, Richard, Brace

LB (9): Cunningham, TBC, Mayo, McKenzie, Crable, Guyton, Ninkovich, Woods, Spikes 

CB (5): Butler, Bodden, McCourty, Springs (S/CB hybrid), Wilhite

S (4): Chung, Merriweather, McGowan, Sanders

ST (3): Ingram, Mesko, Gost

That leaves 6 WR spots unless the Pats go with 2 QB's again

WR (6): Moss, Holt, Edelman, Price, Tate, Slater (Slater as a ST ace)

PS (8): Ventrone CB, Johnson DB, Farnham WR, Anderson WR, Love DL, Deaderick DL, Wise OL, Larsen/Welch OL

Welker is PuP and then replaces one of the under performing backups

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: Early guess on 53 man roster

I couldn't argue one way or the other as to who will make the team as I don't have all of the information needed to make the call,also you just don't know who BB might p/u off the waiver wire or by trade.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I agree bozo, but given that any trades or players taken from the 2nd FA period have a btter shot to make the team then late round or UDFAs and since no one knows when or who becomes available I just wanted to take a look at who's currently on the team and who (imo) has the best shot of making it. I was also hoping for people to take a look at the current roster and realize that 53 people isn't a lot and the odds of late round or UDFAs making the team is very slim at best

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaPete. Show TampaPete's posts

If my addition is correct, you need to cut a WR and a QB to get to 53.  At the moment you are at 55. 

I think Slater is vulnerable because although he is a great gunner, he can't return kicks very well.

QB

OL

TE

RB

DL

LB

CB

S

ST

WR

Total

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Early guess on 53 man roster:
    If my addition is correct, you need to cut a WR and a QB to get to 53.  At the moment you are at 55.  I think Slater is vulnerable because although he is a great gunner, he can't return kicks very well. QB 3 OL 10 TE 3 RB 5 DL 7 LB 9 CB 5 S 4 ST 3 WR 6 Total 55
    Posted by TampaPete

You are right I didn't add right, that makes it tough to call who gets cut but Robinson is the easy choice to be moved back into PS leaving 2 QB's this year and then it would have to be either Pascall or one of the WRs since I think the other positions are in right n the numbers they should be

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Aiken is a captain.  He won't get cut.  If it comes down to him and Slater, I think Aiken would make it because of the leadership role he has on special teams.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

Even at 55 players I think you are light at DL and CB. Reading the names by position, boy do the LB's look weak. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In Response to Re: Early guess on 53 man roster:
    Even at 55 players I think you are light at DL and CB. Reading the names by position, boy do the LB's look weak. 
    Posted by ronk1

I know they do look weak but you looking at that breakdown I don't know who you'd cut to add to the DL and CB's. The problem is in the LB core really. The OL I feel does need 10 people, simply a replacement for each position given that Neal, Koppen and Light have gotten older and come under more injuries recently so running 4 T's and 4 G's makes sense and I'd like to have Larsen on the team to train him to take over Koppens spot eventually. But the LB core can stand to go with Guyton as a outside inside tweener leaving the need for only 7 LB's. But with the uncertainty at OLB and Woods proving well on STs it might be hard not to carry the extra LBs 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from viewer222. Show viewer222's posts

In reality, only 50 or 51 of these players will end up on the Pats roster. They will sign at least 2 players from other teams cuts all depending on what happens by the end of pre-season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

Here’s my early projection:

QB (2): Brady, Hoyer

OL (10): Vollmer, Light, Levoir, Kaczur, Mankins, Neal, Ohrnberger, Koppen, Connolly and 1 of the following (Welch, Larsen, Bussey).

TE (3): Crumpler, Hernadez, Gronkowski.

WR (7): Moss, Holt, Edelman, Price, Tate, Slater, Aiken.

RB (4): Maroney, Faulk, Taylor, Morris.  

DL (7): VW, Ty Warren, Gerard Warren,Wright, Brace, Deadrick, Lewis or Pryor.

LB (8): Cunningham, TBC, Spikes, Mayo, McKenzie, Crable, Guyton, Ninkovich OR Woods.

CB (5): Butler, Bodden, McCourty, Wilhite, Wheatley or Johnson.  Springs cut to save cap room.

S (4): Chung, Merriweather, McGowan, Sanders.

ST (3): Ingram, Mesko, Gostkowski.

Welker placed on PUP.