Ed Reed ...possibly to the Jets??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Ed Reed ...possibly to the Jets??

Report: Jets showing interest in S Ed Reed

ESPN New York's Rich Cimini reports the Jets are "indeed" showing interest in free agent FS Ed Reed.

The connection is obvious because Reed played under Rex Ryan for so many years in Baltimore, when Rex was the Ravens' defensive coordinator. The two are known to have a mutual admiration. Rumors earlier in the day had Jets GM John Idzik averse to a Rex-Reed reunion, but perhaps Idzik has softened his stance. FS Dawan Landry has played well this year, but is best suited to play strong safety and SS Antonio Allen has struggled, particularly in coverage. Signing Reed to play center field could allow the Jets to kick Landry back to his natural strong safety position

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Ed Reed ...possibly to the Jets??

Pretty Much. Heard last night that 2 teams showed interest. Pats and Jets. I would assume the pats would win that battle because the jets are in cap hell and the pats always keep cap space for a rainy day like this.

All joking aside, he is gonna land on the Jets. It just makes too much sense. The Jets are more desperate. Ryan coached him already and they will throw more money at him.

I think help could help this secondary in a rover style like Polomoulu plays but it may not be in the cards.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Pretty Much. Heard last night that 2 teams showed interest. Pats and Jets. I would assume the pats would win that battle because the jets are in cap hell and the pats always keep cap space for a rainy day like this.

All joking aside, he is gonna land on the Jets. It just makes too much sense. The Jets are more desperate. Ryan coached him already and they will throw more money at him.

I think help could help this secondary in a rover style like Polomoulu plays but it may not be in the cards.

[/QUOTE]

For him to go there the Jests will have to pony up some coin. To pick between the 2 and the post season chances I'd pick the pats personally. Whats Reed going to feel like with that big of a ? at the QB position? I can't see him going to the Jests unless its for that retirement check.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I believed from the very beginning that he would go to the Jets.  Him and Rexy together again.  I have mixed feelings on Ed Reed at this point.  It would shock the hell out of me if he was brought in to play for the Pats so I'm counting on him going everywhere but here.  Jets is my first guess.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

It's just Rex driving up the price on Reed so that Bill has to pay top dollar.  The Jets are in full rebuild mode with the third youngest team in the NFL and 14 new starters including 5 or 6 rookies.  He would only take snaps away from Antonio Allen who played Gronk so well while forcing a pick 6.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

What about the Cowboys ?  they're desperate at this point

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's just Rex driving up the price on Reed so that Bill has to pay top dollar.  The Jets are in full rebuild mode with the third youngest team in the NFL and 14 new starters including 5 or 6 rookies.  He would only take snaps away from Antonio Allen who played Gronk so well while forcing a pick 6.

[/QUOTE]

Rex might be able to get a win against BB every now and then but will never out smart him or out play him off the field.  BB won't over pay, and he won't lose sleep if he doesn't get him if he even wanted him in the first place.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

How did the Jets just worsen their starting safety situation?

Reed chose ego over the chance at a ring?  When was this?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Reed to the Jets is official.  The NYJ official twitter just put it out there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This has nothing to do with cap hell. This has to do with an ego stroke.  Reed chose ego over the chance at a ring.  Quite comical actually.  I can see why Baltimore didn't want him back now. The ego took over.

He's not starter material anymore.  The Jets just worsended their starting Safety situation.

Cannot be made up, folks!

[/QUOTE]

Do you really think BB had a lot of interest at this point?  Enough to throw an offer out there to Reed?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

Do you really think BB had a lot of interest at this point?  Enough to throw an offer out there to Reed?

No.  DMC does what Reed used to be the best at much better than Reed can at this point.  If we signed him where would he play?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yep.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 55s

Jets now have announced they reached agreement with S Ed Reed. He will practice with team today.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

yep... oh well.   hope he sucks

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

The Jests will still not make the play off.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

This isn't surprising.  As I mentioned in my previous post we already have DMC playing center field.  The Jets were a much better fit for Reed if he wants to play his natural position as they lack a true FS.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No.  DMC does what Reed used to be the best at much better than Reed can at this point.  If we signed him where would he play?

[/QUOTE]

I think this says a lot actually.  I think if Talib was a concern DMC would take his spot and BB could bring Reed in to take DMC's spot.  So I'm hoping Talib is good to go and I really like how DMC and Gregory have been playing together this season.  I think Gregory will be back soon to.  Reed wouldn't be happy if he had to sit the bench, would actually cause some problems, imo.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

This has nothing to do with cap hell. This has to do with an ego stroke.  Reed chose ego over the chance at a ring.  Quite comical actually.  I can see why Baltimore didn't want him back now. The ego took over.

He's not starter material anymore.  The Jets just worsended their starting Safety situation.

Cannot be made up, folks!

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No idea. He may have sniffed out the ego problem after speaking to the agent or Reed.  I think the interest was there, but there is no way Reed would start here, which is what I said.

If Reed could handle that, welcome to NE. If not, he's not coming here.

Leave it to big ego Rex to think he can somehow change Reed's hip. lol

[/QUOTE]

Ego or lack of brains.  Both things a problem going forward.  Choosing the clown show to fade out your career...HAHAHAHA....  lol. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

THe Jets ARE in full rebuild mode.

[/QUOTE]

Good point, Harvey.  I think I just posted that same thing.  Yes, the team currently in line for the last playoff spot with 14 new starters including a rookie QB and 5 other rookies, having replaced all of their coordinators and GM in the offseason are in full rebuild mode. 

Signing a veteran safety to a system that he played in for years worsens the starting safeties?  How so?  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

+1, said this when Reed was cut. McCourty and Reed play the same position but McCourty is playing at a probowl level and Reed this year hasn't even been close. He looks older and slower and even though his experienced helped to cover it up towards the end of 12' this year it hasn't been able to. But it's funny to see people back pedaling so quick on this one. It appears the Pats weren't really even interested and now Reed chose the Jets over ego? What the heck does ego have to do with anything. The 2 people who have complimented Reed the most over the years were Brady and BB so wouldn't ego drive him here? But, I'm sure BB was waiting in the weeds and just got lost or signing a Reed that should have retired last year was the reason they saved $4mil for the just incase during the season because of aging vets being sheels of themselve being cut coming in for vet min cost so much.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

This isn't an ego thing.  Reed wants to play.  His path to playing time is much clearer on the Jets than it is here.  End of story imo.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think this says a lot actually.  I think if Talib was a concern DMC would take his spot and BB could bring Reed in to take DMC's spot.  So I'm hoping Talib is good to go and I really like how DMC and Gregory have been playing together this season.  I think Gregory will be back soon to.  Reed wouldn't be happy if he had to sit the bench, would actually cause some problems, imo.

[/QUOTE]

not sure you  can read all that into it.    Probably a ton of film showed BB that Reed was just not that good anymore.  Hence the lack of pursuit to go get him.   Agreed the pats secondary has improved this year and they are not really desperate.

It says more about the Jets and Rex Ryan.  They are the desperate team.  Desperate to one up the  patriots...  I posted this yesterday that the possibilty of a blocking strategy where Jets just said we cannot let Reed go to the Patriots.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

THe Jets ARE in full rebuild mode.

[/QUOTE]

Good point, Harvey.  I think I just posted that same thing.  Yes, the team currently in line for the last playoff spot with 14 new starters including a rookie QB and 5 other rookies, having replaced all of their coordinators and GM in the offseason are in full rebuild mode. 

Signing a veteran safety to a system that he played in for years worsens the starting safeties?  How so?  

[/QUOTE]

You won 2 games by refs, so you're really a 3-6 team.  Get it?

Reed was benched as a FS.  Too much time on the field per all area scouts and his hip limited his ability. He'd be fine as a spot player in the box, but it's clear he still thinks he's Ed Reed of 3-5 years ago, which obviously he isn't.

That's how so.

[/QUOTE]

I know, right.  Did you see the refs throw down the field to the other ref to set up the refs game winning FG against the Bucs?  Then did you see how the refs put up 30 on the great Patriot defense before stymieing the Pats O in OT before the refs kicked the game winner?  I think the refs should have their own team.  Think about it. They could add new rules in the middle of a game whenever they wanted and call them whenever they wanted.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportswizard1. Show Sportswizard1's posts

Remove the word possibly! According to Boston ESPN Scource he's a Jet. Good for Ed Reed BB isn't worried about his secondary he has Harmon and when he's healthy he'll have Gregory and both of these guys are already integrated into the present system. Plus it's easier to run with a broken thumb than with a broken hip.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

not sure you  can read all that into it.    Probably a ton of film showed BB that Reed was just not that good anymore.  Hence the lack of pursuit to go get him.   Agreed the pats secondary has improved this year and they are not really desperate.

It says more about the Jets and Rex Ryan.  They are the desperate team.  Desperate to one up the  patriots...  I posted this yesterday that the possibilty of a blocking strategy where Jets just said we cannot let Reed go to the Patriots.

[/QUOTE]

Except, Ryan will think he can magically fix his hip. Watch. Reed will start and be as exposed in NY as he was in Houston.

Jets pass D has been horrendous and I don't think a 35 year old Safety on a bad hip who plays as much as he was in Houston helps.  If they use him less, which I doubt since that is why he is going there, their situation won't improve.

[/QUOTE]

Let's understand what you're saying here.  Yesterday, Reed would have been a great pickup for the Pats, today he is a gimp because he signed with the Jets?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

This isn't an ego thing.  Reed wants to play.  His path to playing time is much clearer on the Jets than it is here.  End of story imo.

[/QUOTE]

That's ego!  He thinks he's still the same Ed Reed!  Did you hear him call out the coach after losing last Sunday?

Not a starter, playing time reduced, loss, he blames Wade Phillips, now released, and he's wanting to show he can still be the Reed of old.

EGO.

EGO.

When players get old they either pull a Favre or bow out quietly to avoid these awkward scenarios. 

This is why Baltimore let him go and didn't want him back, too.  

The only chance he had to come here was if he checked his ego at the door. He didn't want to do that and be a spot player, so he feeds the ego on a team that has no chance at a playoff run let alone a SB.

He'd rather start and play out his career in mediocrity then make a run.

Again, his choice, but that is absolutely ego.   Him going to Houston could be seen as ego, too. Kubiak and Matt Schaub aren't really the elite of the AFC.

[/QUOTE]

I thought Baltimore let him go because they were in cap hell.  When did that change?