Ed Reed ...possibly to the Jets??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

Re: Ed Reed ...possibly to the Jets??

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to pcmIV's comment:
    [QUOTE]

This isn't an ego thing.  Reed wants to play.  His path to playing time is much clearer on the Jets than it is here.  End of story imo.

[/QUOTE]

That's ego!  He thinks he's still the same Ed Reed!  Did you hear him call out the coach after losing last Sunday?

Not a starter, playing time reduced, loss, he blames Wade Phillips, now released, and he's wanting to show he can still be the Reed of old.

EGO.

EGO.

When players get old they either pull a Favre or bow out quietly to avoid these awkward scenarios. 

This is why Baltimore let him go and didn't want him back, too.  

The only chance he had to come here was if he checked his ego at the door. He didn't want to do that and be a spot player, so he feeds the ego on a team that has no chance at a playoff run let alone a SB.

He'd rather start and play out his career in mediocrity then make a run.

Again, his choice, but that is absolutely ego.   Him going to Houston could be seen as ego, too. Kubiak and Matt Schaub aren't really the elite of the AFC.

[/QUOTE]

Explain the ego part, Harvey.  What information do you have that Reed wouldn't check his ego at the doot - whatever that means  - and that's why the cap hell Jets were able to sign him.   Explain how this huge ego specifically translated into the Pats not signing him, even though that was his first choice and how di Belichick, in the last day or two come to see this huge ego?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to Sportswizard1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Remove the word possibly! According to Boston ESPN Scource he's a Jet. Good for Ed Reed BB isn't worried about his secondary he has Harmon and when he's healthy he'll have Gregory and both of these guys are already integrated into the present system. Plus it's easier to run with a broken thumb than with a broken hip.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not high on Harmon but I got a kick out of the hip comment, lol!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to MeadowlandMike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

This isn't an ego thing.  Reed wants to play.  His path to playing time is much clearer on the Jets than it is here.  End of story imo.

[/QUOTE]

That's ego!  He thinks he's still the same Ed Reed!  Did you hear him call out the coach after losing last Sunday?

Not a starter, playing time reduced, loss, he blames Wade Phillips, now released, and he's wanting to show he can still be the Reed of old.

EGO.

EGO.

When players get old they either pull a Favre or bow out quietly to avoid these awkward scenarios. 

The only chance he had to come here was if he checked his ego at the door. He didn't want to do that and be a spot player, so he feeds the ego on a team that has no chance at a playoff run let alone a SB.

Again, his choice, but that is absolutely ego.   Him going to Houston could be seen as ego, too. Kubiak and Matt Schaub aren't really the elite of the AFC.

[/QUOTE]

I thought Baltimore let him go because they were in cap hell.  When did that change?

[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure Lewis and Reed moved on due to age, not cap hell.  Cap hell was triggered by Flacco.

They moved on from Boldin and many others due to the cap hell. Also, with no proven pipeline reserves to be promoted, you see a .500 team like yours.

lol

[/QUOTE]

So, the Ravens moved on from Reed becasue he was 35?  I thought you said it was his huge ego?  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Do you really think BB had a lot of interest at this point?  Enough to throw an offer out there to Reed?

[/QUOTE]

No.  DMC does what Reed used to be the best at much better than Reed can at this point.  If we signed him where would he play?

[/QUOTE]

I think this says a lot actually.  I think if Talib was a concern DMC would take his spot and BB could bring Reed in to take DMC's spot.  So I'm hoping Talib is good to go and I really like how DMC and Gregory have been playing together this season.  I think Gregory will be back soon to.  Reed wouldn't be happy if he had to sit the bench, would actually cause some problems, imo.

[/QUOTE]

not sure you  can read all that into it.    Probably a ton of film showed BB that Reed was just not that good anymore.  Hence the lack of pursuit to go get him.   Agreed the pats secondary has improved this year and they are not really desperate.

It says more about the Jets and Rex Ryan.  They are the desperate team.  Desperate to one up the  patriots...  I posted this yesterday that the possibilty of a blocking strategy where Jets just said we cannot let Reed go to the Patriots.

[/QUOTE]

Except, Ryan will think he can magically fix his hip. Watch. Reed will start and be as exposed in NY as he was in Houston.

Jets pass D has been horrendous and I don't think a 35 year old Safety on a bad hip who plays as much as he was in Houston helps.  If they use him less, which I doubt since that is why he is going there, their situation won't improve.

[/QUOTE]

that's just it.  Rex Ryan will screw it up.  He's so desperate to get his swag back ,  he's using Ed Reed to try and get there.  Sooner or later it will blow up in his face like evrey other season.  Sad that Reed will be the latest to suffer the clown show.  Will be interesting to watch , for sure....lol.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Do you really think BB had a lot of interest at this point?  Enough to throw an offer out there to Reed?

[/QUOTE]

No.  DMC does what Reed used to be the best at much better than Reed can at this point.  If we signed him where would he play?

[/QUOTE]

I think this says a lot actually.  I think if Talib was a concern DMC would take his spot and BB could bring Reed in to take DMC's spot.  So I'm hoping Talib is good to go and I really like how DMC and Gregory have been playing together this season.  I think Gregory will be back soon to.  Reed wouldn't be happy if he had to sit the bench, would actually cause some problems, imo.

[/QUOTE]

not sure you  can read all that into it.    Probably a ton of film showed BB that Reed was just not that good anymore.  Hence the lack of pursuit to go get him.   Agreed the pats secondary has improved this year and they are not really desperate.

It says more about the Jets and Rex Ryan.  They are the desperate team.  Desperate to one up the  patriots...  I posted this yesterday that the possibilty of a blocking strategy where Jets just said we cannot let Reed go to the Patriots.

[/QUOTE]

Except, Ryan will think he can magically fix his hip. Watch. Reed will start and be as exposed in NY as he was in Houston.

Jets pass D has been horrendous and I don't think a 35 year old Safety on a bad hip who plays as much as he was in Houston helps.  If they use him less, which I doubt since that is why he is going there, their situation won't improve.

[/QUOTE]

Let's understand what you're saying here.  Yesterday, Reed would have been a great pickup for the Pats, today he is a gimp because he signed with the Jets?

[/QUOTE]

He wouldn't start with NE and wouldn't be used as a FS. He would have been used more in the box and around the line like a Polamalu. Reed thinks he's still Reed, apparently.

A spot player in NE would have been better for NE and for him, yes.  

[/QUOTE]

The Jets starting free safeties are hardly a weak spot on the team in 2013.  They are young, though.  I wonder if Ed Reed can help them learn the position?  How do you know how Reed hypothtically would have been used in NE?  That's just weird.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to MeadowlandMike's:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

EGO.

EGO.

[/QUOTE]

I thought Baltimore let him go because they were in cap hell.  When did that change?

[/QUOTE]

I am pretty sure Lewis and Reed moved on due to age, not cap hell.  Cap hell was triggered by Flacco.

They moved on from Boldin and many others due to the cap hell. Also, with no proven pipeline reserves to be promoted, you see a .500 team like yours.

lol

[/QUOTE]

So, the Ravens moved on from Reed becasue he was 35?  I thought you said it was his huge ego?  

[/QUOTE]

Probably a combo of both. He and Pollard tried to start a mutiny last year in Baltimore. I posted this last year:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000102107/article/john-harbaugh-reportedly-nearly-had-ravens-mutiny

[/QUOTE]

It was purely a numbers move and a good one at that.  Superbowl winning teams often guy older players who are injured.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

He wouldn't start with NE and wouldn't be used as a FS. He would have been used more in the box and around the line like a Polamalu. Reed thinks he's still Reed, apparently.

Sorry, but this is a pretty big assumption.  Playing Reed as an in the box safety would neutralize his greatest strengths (play recognition and ball skills).  He's never been a a great tackler and is not going to the HoF for his run defense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Reed also had to deal with his conflicting allegiences... like Ravens were such Patriot haters as are the Jets.  He doen't have to be as much of a turncoat going to the Jets.   Probly suits him along with hooking up with the old coach.   GLad Pats don't have to see the clown show again til next year...  By then maybe Reed will be on the Pats after all ...lol.  kind of like jerome iginla.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

EGO.

EGO.

[/QUOTE]

Explain the ego part, Harvey.  What information do you have that Reed wouldn't check his ego at the doot - whatever that means  - and that's why the cap hell Jets were able to sign him.   Explain how this huge ego specifically translated into the Pats not signing him, even though that was his first choice and how di Belichick, in the last day or two come to see this huge ego?

[/QUOTE]

Already explained it, Bustchise. Numerous, numerous times in my last few posts.

We feel very special you seek out our opinions on Jets moves, but that doesn't change the fact Reed was benched in Houston rencently and had played poorly so far this year after his hip surgery.  lol

My premise is that Rexie Ryan won't use Reed as a SS in and around the box, but as a starter at FS to appease what Reed wants.

[/QUOTE]

What you are now claiming is that Reed could play as poorly as he did in Houston and Rex would start him and continue to start him?  That is a fascinating theory.  You know that the job of a coach is try to win games, right?  Where did you come across the information about Reed's demand to be a starter?  You must have a link, right?  Tell me more about how Belichick was able to determine Reeds ego issues between yesterday and today.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Ed Reed reunites with Rex Ryan in New York

Jets agreed to terms with S Ed Reed.

Rex Ryan was the Ravens defensive coordinator from 2005-08 and hasn't been shy about lavishing Reed with praise ever since he left. However, Rex isn't getting the guy he knows from their Baltimore days. Reed is 35 years old, coming off hip surgery and was demoted to third string in Houston despite $6 million guaranteed in his contract. Still, the Jets are getting one of the game's premier leaders and a future Hall of Famer for pennies. Reed, who is expected to play against Buffalo this week, should at least be able to bolster the secondary by rotating with struggling Antonio Allen and allowing Dawan Landry to play some strong safety. It's a low-risk move for the 5-4 Jets.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but this is a pretty big assumption.  Playing Reed as an in the box safety would neutralize his greatest strengths (play recognition and ball skills).  He's never been a a great tackler and is not going to the HoF for his run defense.

[/QUOTE]

Whaaaaaat? What's with the intelligent post?  If Harvery says it, it must be true.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I've always viewed a possible Pats signing of Reed as 'if-he-can-help-Pats' proposition.  The point made regarding McCourty and Reed playing the same position and McC being the significantly better player at this point says it all IMO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Reed was never coming here and starting. At best a backup to McCourty in case he got hurt or a contingency in case they  had to move McCourty to CB if Talib got hurt again.

It's not an "assumption" at all. Reiss also agreed with my analysis, as have others.

The whole reason why he was benched is because his body isn't matching his instincts on the field anymore.

If you shrink the space, it would help that to be improved.

[/QUOTE]

Reed will not only not not be a SS in NY, he will not be starting.  The Jets play 3 safeties fairly often.  Jarrett's snaps will take a hit.  That's fine.  He's been average.  Reed as the another deep saftey playing with the guy he played with in Baltimore for years, Landry is a solid addition to depth.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

EGO.

EGO.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Already explained it, Bustchise. Numerous, numerous times in my last few posts.

We feel very special you seek out our opinions on Jets moves, but that doesn't change the fact Reed was benched in Houston rencently and had played poorly so far this year after his hip surgery.  lol

My premise is that Rexie Ryan won't use Reed as a SS in and around the box, but as a starter at FS to appease what Reed wants.

[/QUOTE]

What you are now claiming is that Reed could play as poorly as he did in Houston and Rex would start him and continue to start him?  That is a fascinating theory.  You know that the job of a coach is try to win games, right?  Where did you come across the information about Reed's demand to be a starter?  You must have a link, right?  Tell me more about how Belichick was able to determine Reeds ego issues between yesterday and today.  

[/QUOTE]

Considering he was benched by Wade Phillips last week and Reed called out the coach for it, that shows his displeasure with not being a starter anymore and why he was released.

If NE was interested in Reed, I am sure a call was made by BB to the agent or Reed himself, which is how BB would have communicated Reed's interest as a back up here.

BB was not gonig to bench two Safeties playing far better than Reed to appease Reed, dummy.

[/QUOTE]

It stands to reason that if Reed does not start in NY, you think that it's a great pickup for the Jets, right?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

[QUOTE]

"The Texans saw in Reed a guy who was no longer good enough to start for them but who still had the ego to critique his coaches’ performance publicly."

With his performance slipping, Ed Reed lost his 'great-player privileges' November 12, 2013 | By Childs Walker |  The Baltimore Sun

It was obvious from any cool-headed assessment, even his own, that Ed Reed's time in Houston wasn’t headed for a happy ending.

That said, I was still startled for a second when I heard the Texans planned to release him after just seven games. It’s simply not the expected ending for an athlete as inspired as Reed was only a few seasons ago. And Houston had put on such a push to woo him last summer.    

But the NFL is a cold league, probably the least sentimental in American sports. The Texans saw in Reed a guy who was no longer good enough to start for them but who still had the ego to critique his coaches’ performance publicly. That’s an easy cost-benefit analysis for a franchise grasping for its identity.

Perhaps this was always Reed’s destiny. Every season, he seemed to make headlines with a moment of uncomfortable honesty. This made him fascinating to follow but also a pulse-quickener for coaches with little use for locker-room intrigue. Of course, Reed was so good and such an established mentor to younger players that the Ravens swallowed his eccentricities for 11 seasons.

Like Ray Lewis and a few others, he carried great-player privileges. The bargain worked out for everyone.  But when you’re not great anymore and you’re playing in a new town where you haven’t built a cushion of good will, those privileges vanish in a hurry.

I’ve written before that Reed was the most fascinating Raven I’ve watched or covered. I enjoyed the crazy electricity around him as he finally won a Super Bowl ring in his hometown of New Orleans. I was happy that he scored one last pay day — he has already collected $5.5 million — with the Texans.

I also thought the Ravens were smart not to bid for his services. It’s hard to imagine them bringing Reed back. At safety, they have a bargain standout in James Ihedigbo and an improving No. 1 draft pick in Matt Elam. Ozzie Newsome and Co. already decided not be sentimental about reassembling last year’s team. There’s no reason to think that would change now.

As for Reed, who admits his play has slipped, this would be a fine ending. His legacy and likely induction to the Pro Football of Fame are secure. He bought himself extra financial security on the way out. He needn’t keep going unless that’s what he wants.

His partial season in Houston wouldn’t be a happy last chapter. But when you look at the whole story — the kid who got his life together in high school and became a rare genius at his position in the NFL — it wouldn’t be a sad one either.

[/QUOTE]

Seems that the updated cost for Ed Reed's ego is 400k.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I have serious doubts BB gave Reed even a second thought

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeadowlandMike. Show MeadowlandMike's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  Bringing in a guy to learn an entirely new defense with just a few games left is not his style.  It would be one thing if he was at the top of his game and he could mask his lack of knowledge of the system with his ball hawking skills.  In NY, the learning curve is negligable and he has another safety on the team that he is very familiar with in Landry.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Why?  Barring BB knowing the ego was out of control, watching Reed call out Phillips last week in the press, you'd have to think he at least kicked the tires.

Wouldn't it be ego to think that he could play a different position as well as he has played FS over the years? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why?  Barring BB knowing the ego was out of control, watching Reed call out Phillips last week in the press, you'd have to think he at least kicked the tires.

[/QUOTE]

your personality with a sarcastic sense of humor is creepy! please make it stop!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

How much $$$ ?

Oh well good for them.  How's their cap situation now and next season ? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Reed Clears Waivers

posted at 11/13/2013 5:46 PM EST

So, my original gut feeling was correct.  

1. He either is wanting to play for BB.

2. His agent has told teams he's retiring.

Discuss:

listen to the guy with the gut feeling!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

He gets to go back to Baltimore on the 24th when the Jets play the Ravens

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Anyone hear the terms yet?  I seriously do not see Reed playing next season.  I think he mentally checked out a few seasons ago and physically checked out after last season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I want to see the terms of the deal...  you know it wasn't for peanuts.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Anyone hear the terms yet?  I seriously do not see Reed playing next season.  I think he mentally checked out a few seasons ago and physically checked out this season. 

[/QUOTE]

Well, that's why I said it's up to him. He showed he's checked out by going to the Jets.  This means he thinks Geno Smith can lead his new team to the SB. lol

[/QUOTE]

I am going to surmise Ed Reed didn't choose the team the team chose him. It seems the Jet's were the only team to show any type of serious interest.