ed reed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonfan191646. Show bostonfan191646's posts

ed reed

sign one player, solve the secondary issue. done. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

Re: ed reed

No graybeards please, bring in youth

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

No graybeards please, bring in youth

Really? I couldn't disagree more. All we have is youth. Our most veteran player (Chung) probably isn't going to be retained and the other veteran, Steve Gregory, just isn't that good. Its Ed freakin' Reed. I pray that he is signed to be our starting safety for next season for his leadership, his knlowedge/tutelage, and his still present skills.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'm a little worried that because we have young players we are going to sign an old one and think it's going to make things alright. Reed is something special, but this is a guy that was thinking about retirement before he and his team went on that run...he has been hurt...he is only going to continue to have age related things pop up. At the right price I could see it, but this would be a short term fix...then again NFL football is always in a constant flux of change, so perhaps it wouldn't be much of a risk, but still...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

At or near the vet minimum, I'd sign him in a second.  What isn't considered enough around here, beyond the thought an old player may get injured, is the positive effect they'll have on our young players.  Tavon Wilson could learn a wealth of knowledge from Reed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from anonymis. Show anonymis's posts

as with any veteran BB has signed in the past, it's either been hit or miss.  Everyone has already brought up the pros and cons for this guy, all of which are legit opinions.

The question is, would he help in the near term given our current status in the secondary?

IMO, I would rather get someone to shore up the DE/OLB position FIRST; the rationale being - if the Patriots continue to call vanilla defensive plays and can't get to the opposing QB - it simply won't matter who is in the secondary because eventually someone will get open on these pansy, short DBs we have.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I'm a little worried that because we have young players we are going to sign an old one and think it's going to make things alright. Reed is something special, but this is a guy that was thinking about retirement before he and his team went on that run...he has been hurt...he is only going to continue to have age related things pop up. At the right price I could see it, but this would be a short term fix...then again NFL football is always in a constant flux of change, so perhaps it wouldn't be much of a risk, but still...

Hurl, are you sayin anything here? 
    Two words for you to get clear here - Get ED!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from looneyman. Show looneyman's posts

Sign him for 2 years between

10 & 12 mil. We have a young

secondary that we are probably

oung to add toands he can teach 

them a lot. Edd may want to get 

into coaching so let him help 

Out the younger DBS. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I would imagine the things young DMC could learn from Ed Reed in a season or two would be pretty valuable for the future of the position for the Patriots.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'd love to see them bring Ed in... he might be BB's favorite non-Patriot player in the league, maybe all time.

I think his experience, leadership, and playmaking ability are (3) things that are lacking in the back end of the secondary.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

You know I like the idea of signing Reed but at this point in his career I wonder how much he can give over McCourty at FS. I like McCourty at FS, he seemed to help solidify the secondary when he was back there. I wouldn't turn down his leadership and would love him on passing downs as a second FS though. I think we need a Harrison type. A smart hard hitting SS vet with leadership ability

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to SilverSun's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Hurl, are you sayin anything here? 
    Two words for you to get clear here - Get ED!

Hahhaa! I know! I didn't really say anything there. I just don't know...what the heck, why not? Go for it. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Gee I think we once signed an older CB named Rodney and he worked out????

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

If the Pats don't make a run for him the Phins certainly will. i would love to see Ed Reed in green.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

For the right price, absolutely.  At all costs, no way.  He can bring a lot of savvy to the team but he is most definitely nearing the end of his career.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

In response to DontQuestionBB's comment:

Another injury prone aging player for big money.  Sounds like a real dumb idea.

agreed, and it's 50/50. sometimes the old guys work, and some times they don't. don't need to pay a guy ab ig contrct for a 2 year ride and he gters hurt in game 2.

there are some ed reeds out  there, BB needs to find one

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from getdrunkstupit. Show getdrunkstupit's posts

i know the youth comment was dumb.    we're too young at this point

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I don't think so.  He needs to be able to play, and I'm not sure he can anymore, SB run notwithstanding.  Find DBs and a Safety in mid career, but not Ed.  At this point I'd rather trade picks for DBs than draft one, I have zero faith in how that has turned out lately.  Just put up two solid Corners, I'm ok with McCourty at one safety, didn't really like Gregory at the other spot.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Sign Ed Reed at the vet minimum. He has more value to us. I believe Bmore knows they are gonna take a step back for a couple years and the signing of Flacco makes sure of that. They needed to sign their star to fill seats but def. cant afford to overpay Reed so IF he wants to play some more, bring him in at no more than 2 million. He is worth more money here where we are hurting at safety and BB usually makes safety play better. This is just a stopgap however and I would still want to see them draft a safety or sign a under 30 year old NFL prospect with promise like a Louis Delmas or William Moore but another older name I would look at as a one or two year stopgap would be Landry. I know thats a hated name here but you cant teach physical play. You either have it or you dont and our Safeties DONT.

Soooo, I would like to sign a young guy to develop and also an older vet that can help us win now.

IF Kenny Phillips is healthy, I think that would be an ideal candidate to come here and try to ressurect his career. He is a big, fast safety with all the tools to be a difference maker.

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Glover Quinn is a good player, but I would be surprised if houston let him go. I know publicly they say they want to use the tag or focus on barwin, but I think Quinn is worth more to them now given they drafted mercilus last year who may be ready to replace Barwin. If not, i would take Quinn.

reed is going to cost a bit, but think given his relationship with bb, the 2 sides can come to an agreement. 4-5m per maybe. Would love to have reed back there with mcd. Although mccourty is in principle a fs, he is also somewhat physical and a sure tackler. I like him better playing in he box than say Gregory who looks a few Han sandwiches short of 190 lbs and plays like it.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I would say cb at this point considering we have 3 serviceable safeties and big questions at corner.

indont think Quinn comes as cheaply as you think. I don't think he is break the bank, but expect him to be in the 3-5 neighborhood. I don't pay that much unless he is slated to start. How much cap relief do they get for releasing Gregory?