Edelman > Welker!?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Edelman > Welker!?

RkPlayerTeamPosRecYdsAvgYds/GLngTD20+40+1st1st%FUM
    1 Julian Edelman NE WR 27 201 7.4 67.0 35 2 1 0 9 33.3 0
    11 Wes Welker DEN WR 19 190 10.0 63.3 32 4 3 0 13 68.4 0

Edelman leads the league in catches!!! LOL

Sorry I'm just having fun - I know Welker is a better receiver, but I think we at least need to be happy we have Edelman on our team.

He does have a great rapport with Brady, and is a top 3 punt retuner IMO.  He hasn't broken open a big one yet, but he has brought one back for a TD in 3 consecutive seasons.  Only active player to do so!  

Great punt returner...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei-LZuLos3c

And he can play DB in a pinch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdIG2IvNI2Q

Loves to block for his guys... wow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YDJ5VP1EEQ

Maybe I should have titled this the julian edelman appreciation thread.  Wink

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Edelman > Welker!?

Edelman has had a fine season.  That is part of the reason I think the loss of Gronk and Hernandez has impacted the offense more than the loss of Wes.  Sure Wes is a better receiver than Edelman, but the downgrade from Wes to Edelman is not nearly as large as the downgrade from Gronk/Hern to Hooman/Sudfeld.  It will be interesting to see if Edelman's usage changes when Gronk comes back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Edelman has had a fine season.  That is part of the reason I think the loss of Gronk and Hernandez has impacted the offense more than the loss of Wes.  Sure Wes is a better receiver than Edelman, but the downgrade from Wes to Edelman is not nearly as large as the downgrade from Gronk/Hern to Hooman/Sudfeld.  It will be interesting to see if Edelman's usage changes when Gronk comes back.

I have absolutely no issues with Edelman, except for his durability.  If he can get through this season without significant injury, I think we will all be very pleasantly surprised.  I also think you are exactly right.  As long as Edelman can keep himself out there, the loss of Welker is minimal, at worst.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to cyncalpatfan's comment:

[QUOTE]

I have absolutely no issues with Edelman, except for his durability.  If he can get through this season without significant injury, I think we will all be very pleasantly surprised.  I also think you are exactly right.  As long as Edelman can keep himself out there, the loss of Welker is minimal, at worst.

[/QUOTE]

Especially when Amendola comes back...  this team will be explosive again by years end.  Hopefully everyone gets healthy.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

This^

Without Gronk, the whole offense changes. 

I'd add, Welker wouldn't be doing much better than what Edelman is doing right now. TE routes that cleared space for him just aren't drawing attention.

It looks like the SB all over again ... Edelman catches it between a bracket and is hit like a punching bag.... immediately. 

Ne needs DA and Gronk back yesterday. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think Edelman has improved more than anyone I can think of on the roster - a few years ago he couldn't handle a pass if it traveled the in the air more than 7 yards...now? He looks more and more polished everyday. Hard working player, but we all know he is going to get injured, it's not his fault, he was just born that way.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

I think Edelman has improved more than anyone I can think of on the roster - a few years ago he couldn't handle a pass if it traveled the in the air more than 7 yards...now? He looks more and more polished everyday. Hard working player, but we all know he is going to get injured, it's not his fault, he was just born that way.

IF he stays healthy, will he be a candidate for most improved player of the year?  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

[QUOTE]

This^

I'd add, Welker wouldn't be doing much better than what Edelman is doing right now. TE routes that cleared space for him just aren't drawing attention.

It looks like the SB all over again ... Edelman catches it between a bracket and is hit like a punching bag.... immediately. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I do think losing these players has forced us to make the younger guys contribute sooner than expected. I'm hoping that will mean something later in the season.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to Getzo's comment:

Especially when Amendola comes back...  this team will be explosive again by years end.  Hopefully everyone gets healthy.  

No doubt.  With the experience that the new wide receivers are getting, I figure when they are able to put Gronkowski and Amendola back out there, they may blow the lid off of this offense.  It should be fun to watch!  Actually, it's fun right now!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Edelman leads the league in catches?  The Legend of Tom Brady continues...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

Yeah, I think Edelman can be what Welker was here, but I want him to be targeted less than what Welker was targeted here.

If he ends up with 70 catches, 6 TDs, that will be kind of what I wanted Welker to be doing here, because it will mean we have a more balanced offense.

I don't want Welker or Edelman hampering our run game and the concepts of the plays that play off the run game.  It's irrelevant how the final stat  lines end up. But, if you're asking if Edelman can masquerade as a Welker...the answer is yes.

No knock on Welker. He's the best slot WR I've ever seen, but that position is limited in the grand scheme of a balanced offense.

When the year ends, and they need to be careful with this in FA, he would be my first FA signing with a multie year deal, assuming he does stay healthy.

Best punt returner in the league, runs your Read Option stuff during the week, emergency DB, and a Welker Jr?  What is the problem?

He's like the Tim Wakefield of the NFL.  Not a star, but the value is incredible for the overall team concept.

That's how I view him, but what you thinking for money?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Russ - how do you define balance in an offense?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to Getzo's comment:

[QUOTE]

No doubt.  With the experience that the new wide receivers are getting, I figure when they are able to put Gronkowski and Amendola back out there, they may blow the lid off of this offense.  It should be fun to watch!  Actually, it's fun right now!

[/QUOTE]

I agree. Assuming Gronk is ready this week, it will just be interesting to see the dynamic he provides just by being out there.

TB actually was concerned about Sudfeld last week. They paid him a lot of attention.  

I kinda like how they can get the younger WRs reps, so they can see the progression week to week. If these WRs take another step this week in Atlanta, it's huge, huge news because of the pace of the progress.

We've seen nothing remotely like this in years here. Even in 2002 with Branch and Givens, so far Thompkins and Dobson are way ahead of schedule.

[/QUOTE]

True but Givens and Branch had the luxury of being eased into their roles.  These rookies don't have that luxury...  They needed to ready yesterday, if you will.  They're doing a great job though, and it's exciting to watch.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I think most know Wes is more durable and better at reading defenses. That said, Eds is faster,  has better open field moves, is probably just as tough and he does more things like punt returns(no muffs yet) and defense in the past. Thats why its funny to think Wes was gonna get paid here. I kept telling you all slots are replacable. Edleman just needs to stay healthy. Wes is catching more TDs in Denver.

Edleman just scares me because everytime he gets hit, I think he is gonna break but we gotta ride him while he is healthy. I thought Brady did a good job of finding other guys last game when the Bucs focused on Edleman. So far so Good. If the plan was for both Eds and Amendola to fill his role, its working. Hopefully if/when Eds gets hurt, Danny is ready to go.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

This^

FUNNY - I thought when Endelman hd a gret day against the jets - that we wouldn't have won with WW

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

[QUOTE]

This^

FUNNY - I thought when Endelman hd a gret day against the jets - that we wouldn't have won with WW

[/QUOTE]

Well then...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

This^

[/QUOTE]

I agree, but I do think losing these players has forced us to make the younger guys contribute sooner than expected. I'm hoping that will mean something later in the season.

[/QUOTE]

More like it has forced TB to establish some good chemistry with the noobs. Had DA and/or Gronk been playing, the noobs would not have adequate chances to learn and contribute. TB would have fixted and made the most of two excellent options (Edelman and Gronk/Amendola). There would have been no later for the noobs to contribute.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I like Julie, but he isn't going to see more action with Gronkamania and Danny the Manny coming back. If Dobson has a good game against ATL, Dobson could see himself as the number 2 WR behind Dan the Man. 

Edelman could see himself back to 4th in the depth chart 

Paul Scholes; He scores goals! (clap) X5

Paul Scholes; he scores goals! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I prefer Julie as the number 4, keep him healthy for PRs and in case Danny gets another injury.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

^^^Julie?  really?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

I prefer Julie as the number 4, keep him healthy for PRs and in case Danny gets another injury.

Not a bad strategy, really.  Use the two players as one.  Between the two of them, I believe it is reasonable to say that they provide more than WW.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to nyjetssucc's comment:

The Pats have gotten more production out of the combo of Amendola and Edelman than at thisa point in a season in compartison to what they got out of Welker...proven fact...more receptions through this many games...

Not only that, but Edelman provides you with an added bonus...he is excellent as a punt returner.  It just all hinges on health.

25. This post has been removed.