Edelman... the 7 Million Dollar Man ?? What??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Edelman... the 7 Million Dollar Man ?? What??

Per WEEI... Link

Feb 5, 2014

We discuss the Patriots off-season moves with NFL Media's Ian Rapoport, who believes the interest in Julien Edelman from some teams will be substantial enough to possibly push his annual salary in the 6-7 million range.

================

Seriously?  After 1 good season? Tough spot for the Pats to be in.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Re: Edelman... the 7 Million Dollar Man ?? What??

I really think the Pats part with him. They still have Moe. And they can draft Wimberly who is available on the third day/ FA. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to seattlepat70's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I really think the Pats part with him. They still have Moe. And they can draft Wimberly who is available on the third day/ FA. 

[/QUOTE]

If those numbers are anywhere close to Edelman's projected contract, I think the Pats move on without him. It's a shame because he's a dynamic PR and a better slot guy than Amendola.

I'm not sold on Moe even making the roster next year (liked Curly better).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Boyce was drafted to be the slot guy, but I don't think BB saw Edelman having that good a season. A lot of people already believe the Pats will give Edelman a contract similar to Amendola.

Amendola isn't working 7 million a year, neither will Edelman.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to m. a. pat's comment:

If those numbers are anywhere close to Edelman's projected contract, I think the Pats move on without him. It's a shame because he's a dynamic PR and a better slot guy than Amendola.

Dynamic Punt returner??  I don't think he is.

I like that he is willing to do anything asked of him.  Hate to see him go, especially if Amendola can't stay on the field and isn't being the receiver many thought he would be.  But with the Amendola contract I just don't see both these guys making that type of money especially when I think they need to bring someone else in who is a more experienced mid to deep field receiver.   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I like that he is willing to do anything asked of him.  Hate to see him go, especially if Amendola can't stay on the field and isn't being the receiver many thought he would be.  But with the Amendola contract I just don't see both these guys making that type of money especially when I think they need to bring someone else in who is a more experienced mid to deep field receiver.   

[/QUOTE] Edelman was the top Punt returner in the NFL last year, and he was #5 in receptions. Is he worth 7 mil per season? Probably not, but he's worth as much as Amendola. The Texans will be bidders that much you can take to the bank. If the Patriots allow him to get to Free Agency. Remember the Patriots need to clear cap space before they can spend, so the sooner BB takes care of the small matter of several large cap numbers, then we will know how far the Patriots are willing to go to keep him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

That's too much for him.

As many have said the Pats won't have a whole lot of pocket cash, decent, but not a lot.

So, where does it do the most good?

I'm sticking with my fix both lines mantra.

Mack, FA Pro Bowl Center from Cleveland is going to command 7-8 million per. So if I give you 7-8 million (if I actually had 7-8 million I really wouldn't give you a dime but go with me here) and I show you Endelman or Mack and say "who ya got?"

Seems easy doesn't it?

Arthur Jones, from Baltimore, is going to be in the 4 mil range.

If Endelman can ACTUALLY get someone to give him that kind of money then I'm happy for him but I hope it's not the Pats who give it to him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's too much for him.

As many have said the Pats won't have a whole lot of pocket cash, decent, but not a lot.

Mack, FA Pro Bowl Center from Cleveland is going to command 7-8 million per. So if I give you 7-8 million (if I actually had 7-8 million I really wouldn't give you a dime but go with me here) and I show you Endelman or Mack and say "who ya got?"

Seems easy doesn't it?

If Endelman can ACTUALLY get someone to give him that kind of money then I'm happy for him but I hope it's not the Pats who give it to him.

[/QUOTE]

I don't agree with this. The market for C won't be huge, and the top C in the NFL today is making $5.5M. (Wells on the rams) I can see Mack signing for an AAV around $5M with guarantees in the $10-12M range. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's too much for him.

Seems easy doesn't it?

[/QUOTE]

I don't agree with this. The market for C won't be huge, and the top C in the NFL today is making $5.5M. (Wells on the rams) I can see Mack signing for an AAV around $5M with guarantees in the $10-12M range. 

[/QUOTE]

Maybe, we'll see, but Mack will end up over 6 mil per IMHO. If your numbers are correct it only makes 7 million for Endeman seem even higher out of line.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

If that really is market for Edelman then I don't see any way the Pats can keep him.  And I have to agree that Edelman is one hell of a punt returner. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If that really is market for Edelman then I don't see any way the Pats can keep him.  And I have to agree that Edelman is one hell of a punt returner. 

[/QUOTE]

I think you have to look Browns, Texans and Jets in need of a WR like Edelman and if Decker resigns with the broncos (I think he does)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

I like Edelman but no way BB giving him 7M a pop spread out or not. Plus with amendola on the roster swallowing up more cap room. They can't keep  both without Edelman taking less not going to happen and i don't blame him. If amendola doesn't come around with being more productive and less injury prone, he will be the reason Edelman will leave. What do you to with Talib, it is called cap mess. So you pay big money to two players who do the same thing. I don't want to be BB on that one. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Edelman was the top Punt returner in the NFL last year, and he was #5 in receptions. Is he worth 7 mil per season? Probably not, but he's worth as much as Amendola. The Texans will be bidders that much you can take to the bank. If the Patriots allow him to get to Free Agency. Remember the Patriots need to clear cap space before they can spend, so the sooner BB takes care of the small matter of several large cap numbers, then we will know how far the Patriots are willing to go to keep him.

[/QUOTE]

Houston might bid, but they have a ton of money tied up at receiver already in Johnson at $15 mil (cap hit), plus they drafted Hopkins last year. Not seeing that as a major FA need for them. They need OL, maybe TE and defense. They are pretty tight capwise also.

I can absolutely see the Jets bidding. They have cap space, they need WR in the worst way and they'd love to take him away from the Pats.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

See ya, Edelman.

I'm sure the Pats can find another failed quarterback turned punt returner and turn him into a target.

They don't really need Edelman anyway.  The $30M for Amendola should start paying off soon.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

7 million? I wish him the best of luck with his new team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I'm skeptical. I think 3 million is probably more like it. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

I'm skeptical. I think 3 million is probably more like it. 

I would agree. Something along the lines of 3/4 for 10/12 4-6 guaranteed with incentives for games played and statiscal milestones.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Houston might bid, but they have a ton of money tied up at receiver already in Johnson at $15 mil (cap hit), plus they drafted Hopkins last year. Not seeing that as a major FA need for them. They need OL, maybe TE and defense. They are pretty tight capwise also.

I can absolutely see the Jets bidding. They have cap space, they need WR in the worst way and they'd love to take him away from the Pats.

[/QUOTE]

I could see the jets getting him too, he'd be a fine fit for their inferior quarterbacks. Could you imagine those dopes just tossing a five yard pass to him and Edelman doing all the dirty work?

Speaking of the jets, you mention they have tons of cap room...now a lot has been said of the jet's wild spending ways...yet now a year later they have "lots of cap room". Kind of kills the old "salary cap hell" debate. Imagine that? Years of irresponsible spending and a year later they are golden in terms of salary cap space? Good thing for us they never had a quaterback when they were spending wildly.

As far as Edelman goes - good for him - the guy deserves every penny he gets. Edelman spent time here doing whatever was asked of him and then had to watch us hand Amendola a contract he didn't deserve. Imagine if Amendola had played up to the level of his contract? We might not be talking about Edelman commanding 7 million per season, not if Amendola was the one catching a 100 balls with Edelman coming in around 60-65. Or heaven forbid we had kept Welker and Edelman split some of his responsibilities with him...that would of been ideal...we could of had two guys that knew how to play and Edelamn would of had maybe 60-70 catches and commanded 4.7 million as a free agent while Welker's contract was restructured lower.

It's amazing what happens when you sign the wrong guys...over and over again. It's been the story of the last half decade. Thanks BB, thank you!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

To be fair he is the best PR in the league.

i agree with prolate, I think Edelman is in the 3-4m range. Is that too much given our cap situation? 

I think the pats need to dump amendola after June 1st, save some dead money, and sign Edelman for 3-4m per. with that money saved, possibly sign Sanders which we should have done last year, and roll into the year with Edelman, sanders, Dobson, Boyce, thompkins. Is that enough given Gronk won't be seeing the field early? I still think that lacks some firepower.  Add another WR in place of sanders, and/or sign a TE like Pitta or Chandler? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In a situation where the GM has saddled an elite QB with suspect weapons all too often, it is ludicrous that the prospects may well be even worse ahead.

Time to fire failures forthwith, and bring in competence.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Bumped

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Boyce was drafted to be the slot guy, but I don't think BB saw Edelman having that good a season. A lot of people already believe the Pats will give Edelman a contract similar to Amendola.

Amendola isn't working 7 million a year, neither will Edelman.

[/QUOTE]

Agree, he had a season like Amendoa was expected to have so if he stays that is the contract he will get.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

There's no chance that JE11 would be back in Foxboro if some team were offering $7M per season.  For that kind of coin, I'd much rather see them target a potential impact S like TJ Ward or Jairus Byrd.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

That's tough. He has them where he wants them. Stop what you are doing, and now imagine last season without Edelman.

Revisit the decision. $7 million sounds like too much (it is) but the rest of the corps are question marks.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

That's tough. He has them where he wants them. Stop what you are doing, and now imagine last season without Edelman.

Revisit the decision. $7 million sounds like too much (it is) but the rest of the corps are question marks.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe incentive laden is the answer. Games played and recpetions as big components.