Enough time passed to evaluate offseason free agency moves
posted at 11/27/2009 10:07 PM EST
I think enough time has now passed in the season to evaluate our offseason free agency moves. Not draft!
1. Brandon McGowen. Awesome!!
2. Leigh Bodden. Very very good. Would have been nice to have had a multi-year deal.
3. Tully Banta Cain. Our most reliable pass rusher now for essentially peanuts.
4. 1st Rd draft choice in 2010 for Seymour. Great move. Hardly feel his absence.
1. Chris Baker. Decent and effective but nothing spectacular. Fills a need.
2. Fred Taylor. Injury prone awesome runner is............. injured after a few awesome games. Meh.............
3. Re-signing Mike Wright. Solid guy, not too expensive.
4. Re-signing Sanders. The rise of Merriweather/McGowan/Chung could not have been foreseen. Was a solid move at the time.
1. Trading David Thomas for 7th rd draft choice. Productive star in NO Saints scheme now, he was solid with us for 3 yrs. Was released while we kept Smith. Then released Smith and down to 2 Tight Ends. Fail!
2. 3rd and 5th rd for Derrick Burgess. I guess you can call this OKish not Bad. But really expect more from someone we paid so much for. Hardly gets any pass rush. It's all Tully at the moment.
3. Shawn Springs. The only reason this isn't ugly is that he was cheap, didnt cost draft picks and still on roster. But he is never on the field and has zero impact.
1. Not re-signing Jabar Gaffney. NE could easily have re-signed Gaffney for the money Broncos gave him. Instead we wasted that money on Galloway
2. Signing Joey Galloway. Looked bad, then ugly, then cut. Fail!
3. Alex Smith. 5th Round draft choice and cut. Fail!
4. Greg Lewis. 5th Round draft choice and cut. Fail! Now productive with Green Bay. Our 3rd wideout is Stanback!! And we let Gaffney and Lewis go.
5. Andrew Walter signing. Fail!